Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

this has got to be the most loving brilliant comment in the history of the world

"when push comes to shove I think the spanish will side with Spain.. pity that, they're totally racist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Politico is the publication of choice for people who consider themselves 'in the know' in Washington. The house rag of the US political class. As that class has deep connections and relevance to the EU politicals, it makes sense that it's popular with them.

I believe it's mostly just because Politico is trying to turn European politics and politicians into something sexy , and as such appeals to their vanity (the European version is also mostly not that bad, except for some bad opinion columns and the execrable "12 people who ruined ...." feature.).

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 4, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Toplowtech posted:

Or he could remove his Macron flesh mask and show everyone he went full buffalo bill on him last year.

that's for the second round

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Politico is the publication of choice for people who consider themselves 'in the know' in Washington. The house rag of the US political class. As that class has deep connections and relevance to the EU politicals, it makes sense that it's popular with them.

A bit.

But more like they partnered with Axel Springer and bought out 2 previous EU/Brussels news organisations (Vieuws and one other I can't remember) and then reinforced their position.

They now have more journalists here in Brussels than I think anyone else, so it's not so much a transatlantic conspiracy but rather the politics follow the news and vice-versa.

Plus, while I don't always love their tone, in many ways they at least try to make Brussels seem a bit more relevant and open. Some of the other EU-specific papers are like Sanskrit if you're not part of the gang.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it

orange sky posted:

this has got to be the most loving brilliant comment in the history of the world

"when push comes to shove I think the spanish will side with Spain.. pity that, they're totally racist"

This recent Guardian video comes to mind.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2017/mar/16/british-expats-in-spain-count-the-costa-brexit-video

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

orange sky posted:

Ok wtf

this is news in 2017

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3252653/spanish-patrol-boat-royal-navy-gibraltar/

what the gently caress is going on

what

the

gently caress

Ahahaha the text on this jesus Murdoch kill yourself already and bring all your newspapers with you

Let the Brits claim all the Meditteranean waters they want, and in exchange drop their claims on Mediterranean waters.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cat Mattress posted:

Let the Brits claim all the Meditteranean waters they want, and in exchange drop their claims on Mediterranean waters.

I don't understand this post.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

lmaooo

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pissflaps posted:

Spelling

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

The point is that you shouldn't claim places you can't spell.
The Mediterranean Sea does exist. The Meditteranean waters claimed according to UK top newspaper the sun, does not.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Toplowtech posted:

The point is that you shouldn't claim places you can't spell.
The Mediterranean Sea does exist. The Meditteranean waters claimed according to UK top newspaper the sun, does not.

But however it is spelled those are the bits, along with Spanish and Moroccan waters, specifically not being claimed - in contrast to the territorial waters surrounding Gibraltar, which seems to be spelled correctly.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Truga posted:

Yeah BBC seems like a good source of news to me. Their reporting is fast and on point. It's probably biased, but what isn't. Just read more than one newspaper, internets make it real easy.
All sensory input literally transform the physical makeup of your brain, so you're literally subjecting your brain to being imprinted with ideologically suspects view when watching British state propaganda. You can't simply "balance it out" by then reading some other newspaper.

e: There is an exception: If you have your ideological guard up, it works the other way around, reinforcing your views. But then you won't need to read something else to offset the bias either.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 4, 2017

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

This debate is gross as h*ck

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/NassiraELM/status/849362813994901509

Philippe Poutou to Le Pen (and Fillon): "When we're summoned by the police, we don't have immunity for being factory workers"

Edit:

https://twitter.com/PhilippePoutou/status/849362411727577090
"Fillon tells us we need austerity while he has his hand in the State's till"

https://twitter.com/PhilippePoutou/status/849362511065473024
"Le Pen doesn't like Europe, except when it's to embezzle its money"

:perfect:

Kassad fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 4, 2017

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Poutou loving owns, Artaud is p. good as well

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

former hamon man here, deffo a melenchon boy now

Poutou Eye for the Hamon Guy

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Poutou's done it again:

https://twitter.com/CChaffanjon/status/849383350829805568
"Fillon says he's concerned about debt, but not so much when he's embezzling public money"

Edit:

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedFRpol/status/849383741336293377

LMAO you can hear Fillon mutter "I'm going to take you to court"

Kassad fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 4, 2017

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love how short some people's memory is.

Remember when Hollande was the darling of the left, promising a 75% tax rate? Even if Melenchon wins, it'll be business as usual in France. Just pushing the necessary reforms down the road.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I love how short some people's memory is.

Remember when Hollande was the darling of the left, promising a 75% tax rate? Even if Melenchon wins, it'll be business as usual in France. Just pushing the necessary reforms down the road.

What's funny is that you think the policies you agree with should be imposed on people regardless of how they vote. And people wonder why democracy is facing it's biggest challenge since the fall of the USSR...

Keep grinding people's faces in poo poo and telling them "there's no other way" and before long you'll find out just how wrong you were.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Your "necessary reforms" are what's landed this entire continent in the current mess, hth.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This would be more convincing if "necessary reform" wasn't a codeword for "let's go back to the social model of the ancien régime".

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like Poutou just for wearing a henley to a debate. I've decided I will no longer care about what any politician actually says after Syriza, and will just root for whoever shows the most balls vs. the bad guys in their personal manners and conduct.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

MeLKoR posted:

What's funny is that you think the policies you agree with should be imposed on people regardless of how they vote. And people wonder why democracy is facing it's biggest challenge since the fall of the USSR...

Keep grinding people's faces in poo poo and telling them "there's no other way" and before long you'll find out just how wrong you were.
Biggest challenge since the fall of the USSR? I know you just picked a time to denote "modern history" but still the phrasing makes it seem like you think the fall of the USSR was a challenge to democracy lol (it's also possible you may actually believe that)

Problem: People want things that are impossible right now or don't make sense

Right solution: Try to explain that they can't have them right now

Anti-immigrant populist solution (examples: Trump, Le Pen, Brexit): Blame scarcity on effective systems, cause some chaos but ultimately fail at changing anything for the better
Left populist solution #1 (examples: SYRIZA, Hollande): Promise things to people, get blocked by reality, revert to right solution
Left populist solution #2 (Venezuela): Promise things to people, dismiss capable economic advisers who say its impossible, tank your economy

The problem is that the people who are advocating for the best solutions, the same solutions that have helped bring billions of people out of extreme poverty, are getting shouted down from both sides by people/ideas that fail completely when implemented. Instead of blaming the current system which has done a pretty good job (every EU country except Greece is much better off than when the Euro was first introduced) you could blame the idiots on the sideline saying that things would be so much better and then making things worse when in power. It's hard to stay on message with "free trade has improved living standards" or "migrants have a negligible impact on wages and improve economic efficiency" when idiots on both the left and the right are screaming "but are jerbs"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Geriatric Pirate posted:

The problem is that the people who are advocating for the best solutions, the same solutions that have helped bring billions of people out of extreme poverty, are getting shouted down from both sides by people/ideas that fail completely when implemented.

It's nice tht you've gained some self-awareness, but you shouldn't be this hard on yourself.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
You only have to look at the UK to see how the proceeds of neoliberalism have concentrated all the wealth in the over 50s whilst they now vote to shove austerity down everyone else's throats. Fantastic.

But don't let that distract you from claiming mean increases in gdp/income* or whatever show how "everyone" is doing oh so well.

* which is the best wheeze of misreporting in the UK; income includes pensions and so helps hide how wages have not recovered since the financial crash at all!

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 4, 2017

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

MeLKoR posted:

This is the ideal outcome.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Biggest challenge since the fall of the USSR? I know you just picked a time to denote "modern history" but still the phrasing makes it seem like you think the fall of the USSR was a challenge to democracy lol (it's also possible you may actually believe that)

Problem: People want things that are impossible right now or don't make sense

Right solution: Try to explain that they can't have them right now

Anti-immigrant populist solution (examples: Trump, Le Pen, Brexit): Blame scarcity on effective systems, cause some chaos but ultimately fail at changing anything for the better
Left populist solution #1 (examples: SYRIZA, Hollande): Promise things to people, get blocked by reality, revert to right solution
Left populist solution #2 (Venezuela): Promise things to people, dismiss capable economic advisers who say its impossible, tank your economy

The problem is that the people who are advocating for the best solutions, the same solutions that have helped bring billions of people out of extreme poverty, are getting shouted down from both sides by people/ideas that fail completely when implemented. Instead of blaming the current system which has done a pretty good job (every EU country except Greece is much better off than when the Euro was first introduced) you could blame the idiots on the sideline saying that things would be so much better and then making things worse when in power. It's hard to stay on message with "free trade has improved living standards" or "migrants have a negligible impact on wages and improve economic efficiency" when idiots on both the left and the right are screaming "but are jerbs"

It's not even that this is a new problem of democracy, Cicero already described it over 2000 years ago in his De Re Publica. Based on his analysis you could argue that the "old" political system, as described by populists, where the party leaders are similar to Roman aristocrats with respect to their power, was actually very close to the system Cicero advocated for and that the development of Social Media has really made politics more democratic, which actually destabilized the system.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
fillon shook

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kurtofan posted:

fillon shook

He's spent (but enough about money haha)

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Remember when people were gushing about how widespread literacy would end corruption and despotism and launch humanity into a new golden age? And then we went too far and now the ability to cheaply disseminate propaganda means people can just throw out whatever they want, a hundred thousand times a day, and wait to see what sticks. Hooray!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So just how eurosceptic is Melenchon? In the debate he says he's against the treaties that "bind Europe together"; what would his win mean for the EU?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Coohoolin posted:

So just how eurosceptic is Melenchon? In the debate he says he's against the treaties that "bind Europe together"; what would his win mean for the EU?

A lot of posturing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
He's french Corbyn. He would be happy to see the EU go.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

given that he'll lose it doesn't matter.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

His flagship measure Europe-wise is "disobeying" the Treaty on Stability, Coordination and Governance, which would more likely translate to attempting to renegociate it. In general, he wants to ignore anything in European treaties that affects workers' rights negatively, which doesn't necessarily mean that he's le candidat du Frexit (lol Asselineau) but would cause some conniptions in certain parts of Europe if he was elected.

lost in postation fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 5, 2017

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Disobeying the truly idiotic Fiscal Compact should be the first job of most heads of state, except probably Germany.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Remember when people were gushing about how widespread literacy would end corruption and despotism and launch humanity into a new golden age? And then we went too far and now the ability to cheaply disseminate propaganda means people can just throw out whatever they want, a hundred thousand times a day, and wait to see what sticks. Hooray!

I'd hate to tell you about this innovation called the radio which filled similar purposes in Germany, Rwanda and Yugoslavia. As soon as you let demagogues start talking about insects, pest or parasites in any kind of mass-fashion uncontested it's only a matter of time until you have a genocide on your hands.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The question I find myself asking is, can we focus and aim that kind of thing at the 1%?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Junior G-man posted:

Disobeying the truly idiotic Fiscal Compact should be the first job of most heads of state, except probably Germany.

Are you saying that international treaties can be disrespected at will if they don't confirm with what the demos of a country wants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

The question I find myself asking is, can we focus and aim that kind of thing at the 1%?

We can.

Only registered members can see post attachments!