Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Soul Reaver posted:

You could probably figure out what it is if you carefully draw a map of Drangelic based on the levels and how they connect.

Good luck with the iron keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I finished my 360 vanilla run yesterday (called it about Vendrick/Nashandra - he's a Hollowed husk and she's the big dark bad guy, albeit an extremely easy boss), and then couldn't resist the siren call of SOTFS, so I hopped in as a sorcerer and holy poo poo it's been a cakewalk so far. My only two deaths were 1) to a dumb jump off a cliff and 2) to an enemy popping out when I didn't expect it because the placement is different in Scholar.

The Last Giant was a joke - just hang back and throw Soul Arrow at his face for a couple minutes. I haven't killed the Pursuer yet, but I dipped my toes into co-op and had a blast helping people slaughter him, plus I regained humanity to boot. It's awesome that so many people still play these games!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Soul Reaver posted:

You could probably figure out what it is if you carefully draw a map of Drangelic based on the levels and how they connect.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not...

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm not sure if you're serious or not...

I'm not, I said it because Dark Souls II has a notoriously disjointed map/world layout (eg, take an elevator up at the top of a mountain - that clearly had nothing on top - and end up in a lava-filled keep). It was one of the complaints people had about it compared to Dark Souls 1, where all the places were logically connected.

Unfortunately it means it's sometimes pretty hard to figure out what you're supposed to be seeing in the distance.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Soul Reaver posted:

I'm not, I said it because Dark Souls II has a notoriously disjointed map/world layout (eg, take an elevator up at the top of a mountain - that clearly had nothing on top - and end up in a lava-filled keep). It was one of the complaints people had about it compared to Dark Souls 1, where all the places were logically connected.

Unfortunately it means it's sometimes pretty hard to figure out what you're supposed to be seeing in the distance.

Yeah definitely. It's probably just a graphics bug or something.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh my god shut up about the iron keep

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bogart posted:

Oh my god shut up about the iron keep

Why? I kinda like it and never really bugged me that elevator thing.

Elevator from Earthen Peak...
Elevator from Earthen...
Elev Earth Pe...
Elearth...
TEAM...
TEAM B!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Iron keep is my favorite zone for just aesthetic reasons. The pillars of rock with the houses stuck on them in the boss arena look real cool.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

SHISHKABOB posted:

Iron keep is my favorite zone for just aesthetic reasons. The pillars of rock with the houses stuck on them in the boss arena look real cool.

I think those may be intended to be Brume Tower and its satellites. It doesn't match up exactly but that's not terribly surprising given that the latter probably wasn't fully conceived yet.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think a world connected in nonsensical ways would be kind of cool if done right with the underlying idea of time and space breaking down and lines of reality getting blurred, but Iron Keep probably isn't that

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Guillermus posted:

Why? I kinda like it and never really bugged me that elevator thing.

Elevator from Earthen Peak...
Elevator from Earthen...
Elev Earth Pe...
Elearth...
TEAM...
TEAM B!

He's been infected. There's no cure. Farewell, sweet Guillermus.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I don't think there's anything I love more in this world than coming back after not playing this game for 5+ months and comically parrying the Pursuer to death. I can still remember what a nightmare of a time I had back when I first fought him compared to now, where, instead, it's like seeing an old friend.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I still suck absolute rear end at parrying. I should just chill in a relatively easy area and practice for a while sometime.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Vermain posted:

I don't think there's anything I love more in this world than coming back after not playing this game for 5+ months and comically parrying the Pursuer to death. I can still remember what a nightmare of a time I had back when I first fought him compared to now, where, instead, it's like seeing an old friend.

Totally. I love the lost bastille as a zone, and the first couple of times in SotFS it really did feel like it was tracking me down to murder me, and now it's more "hello there, twinkling titanite".

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I still suck absolute rear end at parrying. I should just chill in a relatively easy area and practice for a while sometime.

Accomplishments are forever out of reach
to those who constantly fear failure.
A true warrior hones his body and mind,
and peers far beyond immediate hardship.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

To be fair, parrying in DS2 is pretty unpredictable.

Except when you're fighting Pursuer :getin:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vermain posted:

monny posted:

To be fair, parrying in DS2 is pretty unpredictable.

Except when you're fighting Pursuer :getin:

My biggest change with DS2 is right after playing Bloodborne, suddenly I parry way better and handle like ever without a shield.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Overall I think I enjoyed DS2 more than DS3. DS2 feels like this fun, giant fantasy land that, despite its meh level design, is still a blast to run around in, get stronger, gun for gear that you want, get into pvp hijinks, etc

DS3 feels more focused but also much more drab. The level design is stronger, sure, but the game feels like a slog and idk, the stronger level design weirdly enough didn't translate to a more memorable or even fun game

I like all the soulsbornes games to be fair but DS2 = huge, open world action rpg without a super strong direction but lotsa stuff to do, and DS3 = linear, directed experience that very much feels like it tells you how you need to play

The former is just going to be funner to revisit

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think people brought it up before but the shield you use has a drastic effect on how easy parrying is

I'm not even using a shield this run through however so oh well. dodging and smashing is pretty fun

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

That reminds me, I still need to do my darklurker as first boss run.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm not able to land a parry on anybody on the first try in this game using the royal kite shield and in 1 I it down where I was getting black and silver knights on their first swing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm not able to land a parry on anybody on the first try in this game using the royal kite shield and in 1 I it down where I was getting black and silver knights on their first swing.

Do not try to parry with medium shields, it's just an exercise in frustration.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Overall I think I enjoyed DS2 more than DS3.

Same here, and I can say this rather conclusively now with the final bit of DS3's DLC out in the wild. It's not a single thing, but a bunch of minor factors that tip the scales:
  • The responsiveness of the controls is vastly superior to DS3. Whatever their design intention was with the long action queue, it makes controlling your character feel like garbage. Perhaps most importantly, DS2 has a higher responsiveness with its dodge roll key (probably as a consequence of the run starting up much faster than in DS3; it has to check fewer frames to see if the key's being held down or released), leading to very few circumstances where my inputs feel like they're being eaten at critical times.
  • The openness of the world to the player. DS3 has a single sequence break and a long main path with some minor branches, meaning that a not insignificant amount of stuff is locked away deep into the game, inaccessible to anyone without a friend acting as a mule. DS2 lets you go nearly anywhere you please to get anything you want, with a small few exceptions (stuff in the Undead Crypt, mostly), meaning you can start up just about any character and have it ready to roll through the rest of the game quickly.
  • Surprisingly, a more intelligent and well thought-out healing system. DS3 tries to have its cake and eat it too with the Estus upgrading system, which leads to your Estus Flask becoming so ludicrously good that you can afford to play outrageously sloppy by the late game and never suffer for it. By comparison, sloppy play in DS2 always has the potential to be punished because of the long Estus windup and its HoT nature.
  • A colorful gameworld that still maintains a somber air. The whole Undead Settlement -> Farron Keep -> Catacombs route tires me out to no end with how dreadfully brown it is. Seeing actual greens, blues, and reds scattered throughout DS2's journey is such a welcome relief.
  • A NG+ worth a drat. It seriously boggles my mind that DS3 couldn't even be bothered to stick some random red phantoms around the world for NG+ runs.
  • No loving flat elemental resistances! gently caress you, Miyazaki!!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Rubellavator posted:

That reminds me, I still need to do my darklurker as first boss run.

This just strikes me as insanely tedious because you need to farm up a million souls to sequence break to Drangleic, but without even killing a boss. Apart from that I don't know that it would be much harder than any other run, if you're taking the time and farming a million souls you might as well farm another couple hundred thousand and get your stats up to normal Darklurker fighting level. I don't know what the best method would be even, Covenant of Champions to avoid depopulation and go nuts on the ogre near the first bonfire in Forest?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
the fact that you can even do such asinine things in DS2 makes it so much better than DS3

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You would have to kill that ogre like 700 times with the merchant's robes or whatever they're called holy lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RyokoTK posted:

You would have to kill that ogre like 700 times with the merchant's robes or whatever they're called holy lol

lol I bet if you finally managed to do this, complete all the abyss dungeons, and drop down to darklurker he doesn't spawn and you just get a dev message that says "try thrusting but hole"

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I started on it earlier. Made my way down to the gutter. Don't think it will be too bad honestly.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Vermain posted:

Same here, and I can say this rather conclusively now with the final bit of DS3's DLC out in the wild. It's not a single thing, but a bunch of minor factors that tip the scales:
  • The responsiveness of the controls is vastly superior to DS3. Whatever their design intention was with the long action queue, it makes controlling your character feel like garbage. Perhaps most importantly, DS2 has a higher responsiveness with its dodge roll key (probably as a consequence of the run starting up much faster than in DS3; it has to check fewer frames to see if the key's being held down or released), leading to very few circumstances where my inputs feel like they're being eaten at critical times.
  • The openness of the world to the player. DS3 has a single sequence break and a long main path with some minor branches, meaning that a not insignificant amount of stuff is locked away deep into the game, inaccessible to anyone without a friend acting as a mule. DS2 lets you go nearly anywhere you please to get anything you want, with a small few exceptions (stuff in the Undead Crypt, mostly), meaning you can start up just about any character and have it ready to roll through the rest of the game quickly.
  • Surprisingly, a more intelligent and well thought-out healing system. DS3 tries to have its cake and eat it too with the Estus upgrading system, which leads to your Estus Flask becoming so ludicrously good that you can afford to play outrageously sloppy by the late game and never suffer for it. By comparison, sloppy play in DS2 always has the potential to be punished because of the long Estus windup and its HoT nature.
  • A colorful gameworld that still maintains a somber air. The whole Undead Settlement -> Farron Keep -> Catacombs route tires me out to no end with how dreadfully brown it is. Seeing actual greens, blues, and reds scattered throughout DS2's journey is such a welcome relief.
  • A NG+ worth a drat. It seriously boggles my mind that DS3 couldn't even be bothered to stick some random red phantoms around the world for NG+ runs.
  • No loving flat elemental resistances! gently caress you, Miyazaki!!

Don't forget

[*] Magic isn't total garbage

Seriously I'll take DS2's magic being "overpowered" over DS3's magic being total dog poo poo donkey balls with a thousand downsides any day.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

[*]The responsiveness of the controls is vastly superior to DS3. Whatever their design intention was with the long action queue, it makes controlling your character feel like garbage. Perhaps most importantly, DS2 has a higher responsiveness with its dodge roll key (probably as a consequence of the run starting up much faster than in DS3; it has to check fewer frames to see if the key's being held down or released), leading to very few circumstances where my inputs feel like they're being eaten at critical times.

????

If anything, DS3 rolls are a little too good, as you can spam them if you mistime them and still get a bullshit dodge in certain circumstances. I'm actually curious about this. I played DS2 extensively, pvp mainly and I never noticed any decrease in the game's responsiveness, ESPECIALLY when it comes to rolls.

quote:

[*]Surprisingly, a more intelligent and well thought-out healing system. DS3 tries to have its cake and eat it too with the Estus upgrading system, which leads to your Estus Flask becoming so ludicrously good that you can afford to play outrageously sloppy by the late game and never suffer for it. By comparison, sloppy play in DS2 always has the potential to be punished because of the long Estus windup and its HoT nature.

Yeah, Healing Gems were a great idea. Estus flasks are way too good and numerous in DS3, but DS2 was just as bad if not worse with this.

quote:

[*]A colorful gameworld that still maintains a somber air. The whole Undead Settlement -> Farron Keep -> Catacombs route tires me out to no end with how dreadfully brown it is. Seeing actual greens, blues, and reds scattered throughout DS2's journey is such a welcome relief.

quote:

[*]A NG+ worth a drat. It seriously boggles my mind that DS3 couldn't even be bothered to stick some random red phantoms around the world for NG+ runs.

DS2's new game+ was a neat idea that didn't do enough. It's a shame they didn't expand and flesh out the idea in DS3, but I wouldn't call DS2's new game+ enemy dumpage some great plus for the game. The most interesting thing it did was allow you to convert certain areas to New Game+ via an item, letting you get certain items very early in the game if you were good enough to kill a boss on NG+... or had friends.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Jvie posted:

Good luck with the iron keep.

it's not perfect but eh artistic license, close enough

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Wow, that's pretty cool actually. It really fits with the way the castle is described as having sunk into the ground.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ah yes, the big cliff that's totally right up against the windmill

Don't get me wrong, I love the nerd fight about the stupid elevator, I hope it never goes away.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
IIRC there did use to be said cliff in the skybox, but it was a big performance drain and got nixed.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
N64 woods was still a more interesting and visually intriguing area when compared to a lot of DS3's soul-less levels, graphic fidelity aside

that said, DS2 has way, way stronger areas than shaded woods

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

N64 woods was still a more interesting area than a lot of DS3's levels, graphic fidelity aside

The shaded ruins? They weren't very exciting... A pretty standard DS2 map IMO. Which areas do you think are worse in DS3, and why?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
<imo>
Farron Keep. An enormous amount of useful things to get, but you're allowed to get about one of them per hour thanks to the movement speed.
Road of Sacrifices. What are the sacrifices. There's nothing here. The Not-Bloodborne enemies that are clearly not sacrificed? Plus, it leads into the Keep. gently caress the Keep.
High Wall. Just not nearly as well put together as the Undead Burger or the Forest of Fallen Giants. It feels too much like a video game level and not enough like the battlements of a destroyed civilization. </imo>

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The gutter is my favorite ds2 zone. Its like those big wooden playground sets you played on as a kid. It even has a zip line. It's the only area that months into the game I couldn't keep a good mental map of and frequently found myself lost in. I love lighting all the torches.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

The shaded ruins? They weren't very exciting... A pretty standard DS2 map IMO. Which areas do you think are worse in DS3, and why?

Maybe not downright worse but a lot of DS3, specifically farron, cathedral, and catacombs, are equally drab and unfun. The profaned capital is also a giant wet fart. Smoldering Lake is also loving awful, as is the stupid jail area

Chalice Dungeon Remix Edition: Now With Less Interesting Mobs

E: Yikes looking back, the first two lords of cinder has got to be the worst stretch in a souls game ever. High wall is decent, undead settlement is awesome...then the game plummets, only getting slightly better by the time you hit the boreal valley and dipping back down as you make your way into the chalice dungeon tileset zones

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'd feel a lot kinder towards that whole stretch of DS3 if the color palette wasn't so awful and monotonous.