Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cross compiling sucks aggg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol i dont understand the c build ecosystem on linux at all

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Finster Dexter posted:

Razor is really good unless you're doing js single-page apps.

loving lol if you're doing js single-page apps

I'm glad it's so hard to do, business people want them made, and everyone sucks at it. if you have a tolerance to npm you're like guaranteed a job right now

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

lol i dont understand the c build ecosystem on linux at all

i have a page explaining the 13 different make assignment operators open p. much all the time

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

wide stance posted:

I doubt most, if any, .NET web shops use Razor anymore, in favor of Angular or React. You need javascript to do things on the front-end, a lot more than people think, so you might as well put your views there and actually have it mesh with that logic. No one wants to use a website that reloads the page just to show something different on said page or refresh the data.

Microsoft doesn't want you to use their views either and pretty much dropped off support for front-end stuff, including their javascript bundling. React + Typescript is first class in Visual Studio and is way easier to use than Razor and probably even better integrated, with syntax highlighting, referencing, build checking, etc.

haha

the job i just left uses Razor views, and JUST started vetting KendoUI + jQuery for frontend stuff

edit*- apparently angular and react weren't supported well enough and didn't seem fit for production use... their words, not mine

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 4, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

Razor is really good unless you're doing js single-page apps.

loving lol if you're doing js single-page apps

yeah basically

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Flat Daddy posted:

I'm glad it's so hard to do, business people want them made, and everyone sucks at it. if you have a tolerance to npm you're like guaranteed a job right now

I don't think any business people are caring about web frameworks. and if they do they don't know what they're talking about

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

i have a page explaining the 13 different make assignment operators open p. much all the time

i seem to have graduated from make problems to stdlib problems (im cross compiling so they might actually be real bugs) it kinda seems like this math.h is broken

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Shaggar posted:

I don't think any business people are caring about web frameworks. and if they do they don't know what they're talking about
No, they just know that SPAs are fashionable, so whatever new thing they make has to be an SPA, never mind the use cases or whether an SPA is even the right choice.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

tef posted:

i hate computers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

darthbob88 posted:

No, they just know that SPAs are fashionable, so whatever new thing they make has to be an SPA, never mind the use cases or whether an SPA is even the right choice.

I would tell them its an SPA and then write it in razor.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

in the last step of my build its just including some random rear end system header file instead of the cross-compiler's version of the system header file and it breaks everything and i have no idea why its getting included its literally specifying the wrong path in the command to the gcc its like hell gently caress it -I/usr/include and just stomping over the rest of the config lmao why

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

if you are using javascript at all for anything other than like form validation or maybe injecting new content from a razor partial, you are doing things wrong.

grabbing a chunk of html called a "razor partial" and shoving it into the page with jquery is much worse than react

dynamic UIs with razor are at best on par with typescript/react-based stuff. razor has terrible error reporting-- definitely admire that "do nothing" webscale approach to error handling-- and the way templates are managed is really bad compared to react components, but typescript without bundling has the risk that maybe you forgot a dependent script tag in a page while developing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
razor gives you super detailed errors about what went wrong I don't think you know what razor is. also razor templates are so much better than the poo poo awful way react does things with the mixed code and markup. that's some asp forms poo poo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ah good i just made a backup of the /usr/include directory and symlinked the cross-compiler's version over it and now it works more

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shaggar posted:

razor gives you super detailed errors about what went wrong I don't think you know what razor is. also razor templates are so much better than the poo poo awful way react does things with the mixed code and markup. that's some asp forms poo poo

no it's not. you've never used react

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Bloody posted:

ah good i just made a backup of the /usr/include directory and symlinked the cross-compiler's version over it and now it works more

I'm the "more"

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
if u wanna give a somewhat factual criticism just say functional programming is math major wankery or something. but in reality fp rules for making UIs

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
esp when you have TS and can get wanky with the types, too

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

leper khan posted:

I'm the "more"

it builds successfully but when i deploy it on the target platform it claims to be missing _ctypes which is a problem

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Flat Daddy posted:

no it's not. you've never used react

I'm going by the examples they use on their site. are you using some 3rd party templating system for it that removes the markup from the javascript?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

and razor puts not-really-c# in your markup. i don't think this is a compelling argument you're making here shaggar

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

we got a react + redux + material ui app up and my least favorite part is material ui by a long shot

yes, what i'm really looking for in my styling framework is for it to be extremely opinionated and inflexible, thank you google, you do know best after all

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

HoboMan posted:

we got a react + redux + material ui app up and my least favorite part is material ui by a long shot

yes, what i'm really looking for in my styling framework is for it to be extremely opinionated and inflexible, thank you google, you do know best after all

open always wins

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it's far far better to put a markup language into a programming language (jsx) than a programming language into a markup language (razor).

my experience with razor error handling is making a typo or renaming a string name of a template or what have you, getting a white page instead of a prominent error when I render that page, and finding an unobtrusive green squiggly when I come upon the view that has a problem.

react components are actually symbols in the program, and they're checked well for consistent usage by typescript. they're more usable and maintainable than razor templates.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I enjoy Slack's absolute failure to implement infinite upward scrolling.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

it's far far better to put a markup language into a programming language (jsx) than a programming language into a markup language (razor).

my experience with razor error handling is making a typo or renaming a string name of a template or what have you, getting a white page instead of a prominent error when I render that page, and finding an unobtrusive green squiggly when I come upon the view that has a problem.

react components are actually symbols in the program, and they're checked well for consistent usage by typescript. they're more usable and maintainable than razor templates.

you must have it setup wrong cause razor errors will give you big errors w/ stack traces telling you what went wrong. having to dig through your javascript to figure out where you put markup that you want to change sounds horrible.

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 4, 2017

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Doom Mathematic posted:

I enjoy Slack's absolute failure to implement infinite upward scrolling.

also any mechanism for managed invite portals beyond "there's this undocumented admin api, guess we'll never get rid of it!"

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

jsx and react components are both really good and not at all the same as 90s-style php/html/js/sql soup. you're still separating concerns, just by component instead of by language. and honestly if you're doing anything that isn't totally trivial your logic and markup generally wind up separate anyway (container components, redux, whatever).

the surrounding frontend ecosystem is annoying to deal with but react is cool.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I got a volunteer to slap an SPA on my side project's API and he insisted on using Angular instead of React :(

I mean I don't have to deal with the JS side of things but it still makes me sad nonetheless

Seems to work decently though, so I can't complain.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

HoboMan posted:

holy poo poo material ui is literally incompatible with css styling!!!

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

HoboMan posted:

holy poo poo material ui is literally incompatible with css styling!!!

it's horrible. i inherited a project a while back that was using some react material library and you could only choose from the themes it provided, there was no place to override anything unless you wanted to go nuclear and use !important everywhere.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i don't know what i'd do instead of my white collar office computer touching job

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i've never heard of material

react is very good though.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

hackbunny posted:

a little. never tunnel adapters though

:lol::rip:

effortpost tomorrow

oh noooo today is tomorrow and I got drunk with coworkers instead and the effortpost will have to wait 😱

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
getting drunk is always an acceptable excuse to delay things as far as i'm concerned

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fleshweasel posted:

it is annoying that if you call a template that doesnt exist or if you capitalise the model declaration it will just give a white screen or a bullshit 'breakpoint could not ve inserted' type error but otheriwse you'll get a stack dump on page compile

i really really like being able to call methods from the app code to get data into razor views for poo poo that it doesnt make sense to include in the model or being able to just hit getters on the model to return raw data on load direct into on page functions if required instead of having a billion controller routes each performing a bespoke function or a massively bloated nodel class

edit: to be fair i haven't looked at react at all beyond being flippant about it

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 4, 2017

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
react is cool but redux is the truly good poo poo. I could swap out react for something else and not really care cuz the react layer is kept as dumb as possible (no state and very little usage of component lifecycle, mostly pure functions)

redux is event sourcing on the front end. with redux I can have error reports that have the entire history for a users browsing session, and all I had to do was write or add in a small middleware. I can load their history, play their actions in my environment, then go back in time and inspect component state at various points etc.
with redux dev tools I pretty much instantly see where I hosed up, whether my action has the wrong data, or state isn't being updated by a reducer correctly

also redux-saga is great. my entire app can be synchronous, no callbacks or promises anywhere. except for the sagas where I shove all that async poo poo, and can write them imperative style with generators, kind of like how in Haskell you'd rather write io in do notation and quarantine it into one place

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah redux is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
this is the first time I've ever heard of Razor, it is something that an intern at Microsoft built and they promptly dumped after a year like Google Web Toolkit

• Locked thread