Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Looks like they're trying to fix Mass Effect? I don't see anything about making people look less like frogs, though. Also just lol at the fact that EA/bioware keeps dropping male-on-male romance from all their games at the last minute and then adding them back in later. We just didn't have time, guys, it's got nothing to do with how we prioritize things in the design process.

Mr E posted:

Same. Oh well, Persona 5 is waiting for me when I get home.

I'll wait and see what the reviewers I personally trust say, there's still a chance this is a God Hand situation, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

There's no way in hell this is a God Hand situation lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it frightens me that there's people out there looking at that mass effect patch notes list who will say with a straight face that mass effect andromeda was a complete and good game from the second it launched

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I'll wait and see what the reviewers I personally trust say, there's still a chance this is a God Hand situation, but yeah.

If YL is getting bad reviews because instead of a 3d platformer collectathon it's actually a tight 3d beat em up, that would be fantastic :P

edit: ^ No Man's Sky wasn't even like, a year ago

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

an actual dog posted:

There's no way in hell this is a God Hand situation lol

Aren't you one of those people who keeps repeating that Rare games were never good, because that would exactly be what I'm talking about.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Palpek posted:

The only reason why Jim Sterling dresses like a Nazi is because a black unifrom looks pretty good on a fat guy.

This reminds me of Jeff Gerstmann talking about how when they were originally spooling up Giant Bomb they were considering giving it a fantasy theming with Sifl-and-Olly style wizard puppet characters. It's like, of all the sites and personalities that started popping off in the late 2000s/early 2010s, they were the only ones to not jump off the cliff with gimmicks

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
so glad they chose not to go that route

giantbomb is the poo poo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What 3D platformers are there any more? Feels like it's just Mario. I know there was a Ratchet game last year but I was under the impression that wasn't going to happen again.
currently the least bad of the 3D platformer renaissance on Steam is Poi, although I liked what I played of the Unbox demo. Then there's A Hat in Time which is supposed to come out later this year, MAYBE, MAYBE (I'm skeptical).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Totalbiscuit may be more well known for being a big shithead proponent of gamergate as well. Remember that? He was one of the spearheads for it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lurdiak posted:

Also just lol at the fact that EA/bioware keeps dropping male-on-male romance from all their games at the last minute and then adding them back in later. We just didn't have time, guys, it's got nothing to do with how we prioritize things in the design process.

Somehow they managed to deliver a pretty robust variety of female/female options. Maybe they're just working alphabetically!

Captain Invictus posted:

Totalbiscuit may be more well known for being a big shithead proponent of gamergate as well. Remember that?

I try not to

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Whenever I feel the itch to go back to a 3D collectathon platformer I've honestly just gone back to Mario 64. That game has aged surprisingly well for what it is and when it came out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
gently caress you guys, I'm still gonna play and enjoy Yooka Laylee.

You guys are willing to spend 70+ hours collecting herbs in TW3 but are gonna bitch about collect-a-thons, what the hell.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

The funniest was EA blocking the 'connecting to internet' part of DA:I so no one could record how long it took.

Nah, the funniest was Arkham Knight blocking the cutscene where the BIG TWIST that had been easily guessed months before the game came out happened.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Totalbiscuit may be more well known for being a big shithead proponent of gamergate as well. Remember that? He was one of the spearheads for it.
Not sure about spearheads but right now he's in the same boat of gaseous toads as PDP, H3H3, JonTron, in thinking the LAMESTREM MEDIA has an agenda to RUIN YOUTUBERS

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's always a great sign when a video game critic sounds exactly like Donald Trump.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Whenever I feel the itch to go back to a 3D collectathon platformer I've honestly just gone back to Mario 64. That game has aged surprisingly well for what it is and when it came out.

But how many half A button presses does it take for you to beat it?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Looks like they're trying to fix Mass Effect? I don't see anything about making people look less like frogs, though. Also just lol at the fact that EA/bioware keeps dropping male-on-male romance from all their games at the last minute and then adding them back in later. We just didn't have time, guys, it's got nothing to do with how we prioritize things in the design process.

You can't fix what's wrong with that game with a patch, full stop.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

You guys are willing to spend 70+ hours collecting herbs in TW3 but are gonna bitch about collect-a-thons, what the hell.

collecting stupid doodads in Witcher 3 is an insanely small facet of a narrative-driven game compared to a platformer where it's the law of the lands

I love SM64 and the first BanjoKazooie but when DK64 came out that was it, donezo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

You can't fix what's wrong with that game with a patch, full stop.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but technically you could patch Pac-man: Championship Edition into The Witcher 3.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
get you a witcher 3, add some pacman CE and baby, you got a stew' goin

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MinibarMatchman posted:

collecting stupid doodads in Witcher 3 is an insanely small facet of a narrative-driven game compared to a platformer where it's the law of the lands

I love SM64 and the first BanjoKazooie but when DK64 came out that was it, donezo

Those collectathons always felt before a threshold for me, where I used to have plenty of time to play the handful of games I had access to, and now I have no time to play my backlog of hundreds of games. I vividly remember the flags in Assassin's Creed 1 being the point where I realized, "Oh, this is bullshit, I don't have to do this." A game these days that is about repetitive tasking designed to waste time feels worse than it used to.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

There's a place for both in my heart, and I'm sorry you missed out on Psychonauts

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm really genuinely curious what the issues are with Y-L and how much of it is just 'this is a dated gameplay style." It's very possible at once for it to be exactly what it promised and not something someone NOT looking for that wants.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Franchescanado posted:

Obviously there's no real definition but to me a collect-a-thon has the collecting as part of the completion of the game or levels. Crafting doesn't really feel like it fits the bill.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'm really genuinely curious what the issues are with Y-L and how much of it is just 'this is a dated gameplay style." It's very possible at once for it to be exactly what it promised and not something someone NOT looking for that wants.

Maybe. but I'm of the opinion that any genre can be "modernized." The genre was in fashion for a time for a reason, people clearly enjoy the basic gameplay loop. If it feels dated, it means developers didn't properly bring the genre "forward" via innovations, improved level design, better mechanics, etc.

Course I'm no game designer so

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is surprisingly not bad. The campaign is straightforward but punchy and it is basically the Battlestar Galactica/Expanse game I didn't know I wanted. But I think I am swayed by my love of military chatter, and naval chatter is the best kind, which is also why I loved Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak.

yeah, i liked the campain too, i like that it didnt pull any punches at the end and i also liked that you were basicaly fighting a civilization based Terran Federation from starship troopers. a bunch of dead eyed facist dickheads. they litteraly have service guarantees citizen ship posters and the more enemies the more privileges you gain. sure its straight forward, but its interesting.

an actual dog posted:

Yooka-Laylee 64

that doesnt surprise me. i played the alpha and its basically just a old rare platformer with all the postives/flaws but with better graphics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The reviews are all over the map and a lot of the negative ones basically open with "Man I've been wanting to talk poo poo about Banjo Kazooie for DECADES" so it's really hard to know what's what.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Maybe. but I'm of the opinion that any genre can be "modernized." The genre was in fashion for a time for a reason, people clearly enjoy the basic gameplay loop. If it feels dated, it means developers didn't properly bring the genre "forward" via innovations, improved level design, better mechanics, etc.

Course I'm no game designer so

your right. i mean DOOM 2016 and the new wolfenstiens new order/old blood, proved you can make a good retro like game with modern amenities.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I wouldn't call Mario 64 a collectathon in the way it's meant for the Rare games.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I still love Banjo-Kazooie and Mario 64, dislike most of Banjo-Tooie except for some small high points (the collectathon aspect is fine but the large swaths of useless space are awful), and still like DK64 decently enough even after playing the ultra-laggy VC version

I think I'll probably end up liking Yooka Laylee, milquetoast retread and all, as long as it doesn't have too much backtracking

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

There's a place for both in my heart, and I'm sorry you missed out on Psychonauts

the worst part of Psychonauts was absolutely the platforming, or virtually anything involving "collect a thousand loving crystals just to buy an integral item"

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

The reviews are all over the map and a lot of the negative ones basically open with "Man I've been wanting to talk poo poo about Banjo Kazooie for DECADES" so it's really hard to know what's what.

There's also a lot of folks who clearly wanted to love this game and were let down.

It sounds like it screws up even the basic elements of making collecting fun, which is designing a world worth exploring every nook and cranny in. It just looks boring, too big and too empty.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

your right. i mean DOOM 2016 and the new wolfenstiens new order/old blood, proved you can make a good retro like game with modern amenities.

Some (me!) would even argue that Souls borne games are more or less pixel Castlevania/Metroidvania gameplay brought forward to modern 3d gaming.

And obviously Persona 5 is an example of a genre that has been around since the NES days and is still relevant and largely unchanged from its basic gameplay loop of turn-based battles, it's just dolled up with modern amenities like an awesome storyline, additional gameplay mechanics like the sim stuff, insane production values, etc

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Was it worth it? Who knows! I have three more hours of work until I can find out, but these days it worth my time to run home and put the disc in the console in case there's a hefty day-one patch.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Lurdiak posted:

The Eurogamer review seemed to give a good/fair general impression, noting that it's basically B-K and if you liked those games you'll probably like this as long as Canary Mary-style (if not degree) bullshit doesn't get to you. Also that the world-theming is simultaneously cliche without being very cohesive.

My impressions so far, having not played it, rest mostly on Capital B and Trowzer being fantastic character concepts and names.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
no matter how huge or important the game is to me, buying a special edition = just more clutter to stash

but I'm not a huge trinket collector so ymmv

pretty sweet purchase tho

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Some (me!) would even argue that Souls borne games are more or less pixel Castlevania/Metroidvania gameplay brought forward to modern 3d gaming.

And obviously Persona 5 is an example of a genre that has been around since the NES days and is still relevant and largely unchanged from its basic gameplay loop of turn-based battles, it's just dolled up with modern amenities like an awesome storyline, additional gameplay mechanics like the sim stuff, insane production values, etc

i will make a even further reach and say the batman games(least asylum and city) brought back the metroidvania deal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

KingSlime posted:

no matter how huge or important the game is to me, buying a special edition = just more clutter to stash

but I'm not a huge trinket collector so ymmv

Yeah I feel the same way. Unless you live in a really huge house and don't have too many kids, "nerd swag" seems like it'd just sit in boxes or clutter endless shelves.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i will make a even further reach and say the batman games(least asylum and city) brought back the metroidvania deal.

You know, I need to get around to playing those

They have been on my list for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MinibarMatchman posted:

the worst part of Psychonauts was absolutely the platforming, or virtually anything involving "collect a thousand loving crystals just to buy an integral item"

I think you mean collecting figments because fuuuuuck that noise.

• Locked thread