Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fooz posted:

I just want an arcade MP shooter with the mechanical fun of SPT or RR instead of gun nut stuff. It would also be nice if it didn't look like crap.

Hi hello, have you heard about the seriously good game, serious sam? It has VR support and is the best first person shooter for VR by a mile. Currently, there's a wave shooter option made specifically for VR that works with up to 2 players, and there's a VR version of the very first game, which isn't very long, but you can play that with your friends that don't have VR and it loving owns as gently caress. Pick up gun, shoot kleer and friends forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

There isn't TDM in that is there? Seems like what I'd want if there were. I might give the SP a go.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Fooz posted:

There isn't TDM in that is there? Seems like what I'd want if there were. I might give the SP a go.

There is TDM

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Looks like SS2 comes out tomorrow, I'll give that one a shot, thanks!

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

At this point, I'm waiting on all of the Serious Sam VR games to be out, so I can just buy whatever pack is released at discount. $40 individually is dumb for things I already own, just to play in VR. And I'm not totally sold on the wave shooter one anyways, so the current bundle isn't that interesting.

The HL2VR mood should be great. I tried HL2 in my dk2, way back when and it was good. Though I always felt fps games really need motion controllers to work in VR.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Batman Arkham VR coming to PC on the 25th: http://www.pcgamer.com/batman-arkham-vr-announced-for-pc-release-date-set/
Not sure what the verdict was on PSVR, I think it's only about an hour long so will probably be well overpriced.

Phuzun posted:

I always felt fps games really need motion controllers to work in VR.
That's the point of HL2VR. Maybe you played another mod without the motion controls?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

El Grillo posted:

Batman Arkham VR coming to PC on the 25th: http://www.pcgamer.com/batman-arkham-vr-announced-for-pc-release-date-set/
Not sure what the verdict was on PSVR, I think it's only about an hour long so will probably be well overpriced.

That was pretty much the verdict, yeah. It's really slick and beautiful but it's basically an hour or two of Batman-themed motion control minigames (two because it has a new game+ with extra stuff).

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 3, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There was the official HL2 VR that was still mouse and keyboard and the unofficial HLVR that used the Razor hydras.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

I love the manual reloading. It's a skill you need to practice and improve on which adds depth to the game and is far more immersive.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The HL2VR mod with Razer Hydra support was one of the best FPS VR games in existence when it was working. The Mod really did think of a lot of things that needed to be changed to make it work with VR, but they did almost everything correct with what they had at the time.

The hands were independently tracked, Reloading took physical motion along with a button press to drop the cartridge or release the cylinder on the revolver, etc. They moved the ammo count and health stuff to your arms vs a hud, everything was really well done right up until valve released some more updates and broke the mod again and again. :(

Also it looks like Arizona Sunshine also got Official Virtuix Omni support cooked in. Might need to pick it up sometime soon then. Still really want Wireless VR before I jump back into that thing too much, but It has been collecting dust I should clean off and see if I can route the wires a little different.

The good thing is the Omni production is going well and their China investment is taking off incredibly. Apparently VR Arcades in China is Huge and loves the locomotion.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, I think it might have just been the initial VR test that valve put in. I certainly don't remember needing a mod and am honestly surprised that Valve didn't officially update it with the Vive release.

Honestly seems like ceiling mounting the wire would work best prior to wireless for the Omni. I thought it emulates analog sticks? Cause Arizona Sunshine had stick movement atleast for awhile, though I guess they might have a better solution that can be utilized as well.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 3, 2017

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

iceaim posted:

I love the manual reloading. It's a skill you need to practice and improve on which adds depth to the game and is far more immersive.

That's not so bad, but the punishment for one handed firing is just crazy. I can see why people made those pvc stocks, two handed firing is just a wierd mimeing exercise with just the controllers and I don't know why those devs insist I do it when one handed is perfectly fun and good.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Fooz posted:

That's not so bad, but the punishment for one handed firing is just crazy. I can see why people made those pvc stocks, two handed firing is just a wierd mimeing exercise with just the controllers and I don't know why those devs insist I do it when one handed is perfectly fun and good.

Onward is definitely going for more of the realistic mil-sim feel than anything else. Firing a rifle (or even a pistol) with one hand in real life is dangerous, painful, and super inaccurate. I also don't mind the two controller miming thing though. The reloading thing also adds a lot of depth I think, in that if someone is nervous it takes them significantly longer to reload than someone who is calm. I think that's neat.

That said I do love me some one handed runnin n' gunnin in Serious Sam. Good clean fun right there.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

App13 posted:

Onward is definitely going for more of the realistic mil-sim feel than anything else. Firing a rifle (or even a pistol) with one hand in real life is dangerous, painful, and super inaccurate. I also don't mind the two controller miming thing though. The reloading thing also adds a lot of depth I think, in that if someone is nervous it takes them significantly longer to reload than someone who is calm. I think that's neat.

That said I do love me some one handed runnin n' gunnin in Serious Sam. Good clean fun right there.

Firing a modern 9mm pistol one handed isn't really bad.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

App13 posted:

The biggest point to make here is the accuracy of one handed shooting (pistol or otherwise) vs two.

There is a reason rifles are the primary weapon of infantry, a rifle with ironsights improves your accurate range by nearly tenfold. Partly because of the longer barrel but also because of the stability you get from using two hands and pulling a rifle butt into your shoulder.

If a VR game was aiming for accurately recreating a modern era shooting game it would follow the same lines. Given the fidelity advantages in recreating first person experiences that VR brings to the table compared to traditional "2D" FPS games this kind of authenticity creates a pretty amazing level of immersion.
If you were to try to improve one handed shooting accuracy to compare to two handed you would be adding a lot of artificial mechanisms in between the motion controllers and the experience and it would start to feel fake pretty quickly and the immersion level would drop a lot.

I quickly get bored of going back to one handed shooting games like SPT or Robo Recall because I know I could shoot at range more accurately with a two handed rifle, even taking into account the autoaim assist Robo Recall gives.

It takes some practice to get good at games like Onward or Pavlov but that's true of any game with complex new mechanics. Games like Tribes or Titanfall took a good amount of adaptation to get competitive.

You don't need a VR stock to enjoy a game like Onward (I have one) but they do help your aim and increase the immersion level further. The Onward lead doesn't use a stock and is actively trying to keep things in balance.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The problem is, 2handed aiming in VR is really lovely cause there is nothing to feel with your second hand unless you mod your controllers with empty toilet paper rolls or something.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Hmm, I wonder if rifle accuracy could be improved at least a bit with some sort of stock mode. Maybe locking the butt to your shoulder and controlling it only with the forward hand whenever it's grabbed with both hands.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Truga posted:

The problem is, 2handed aiming in VR is really lovely cause there is nothing to feel with your second hand unless you mod your controllers with empty toilet paper rolls or something.

It's pretty much a certainty that someone will figure out how to use the PS Aim for PC VR, that should take care of that problem.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
i'm a bicep wearing sweatpants in vr

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Two-handed aiming makes it easier to be accurate in VR because the impact of small unintentional controller movements (or tracking jitter) is smoothed out to a large extent by the other controller's influence, and the further apart you can hold the controllers the more precise you can be. Even if it wasn't inspired by realism it'd be a nice feature.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Maybe the controls in those games is better, but I certainly was turned off by 2 hand shooting of the rifle in Arizona Sunshine. I sincerely hope that no streamers get swatted while using one of those stocks, cause it seems like a good way to be gunned down while being blindfolded.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Truga posted:

With practice you can get used to it and be competitively good in Onward with an RDS or Holo which are fairly forgiving. Some of the consistently best players in Onward don't have a stock.

I got pretty good with the MK18 and RDS but I could not make long distance sniping for ship, too wobbly. Then I got a VR stock my aim is way better. Having a stock with a rifle butt and cheek rest takes VR games like Onward to a whole new level, the immersion of the rifle basically acting like it is really in your hands is pretty amazing.

Here's the stock setup I have for Onward right now, the grips are adjustable but the rear grip is locked. I can rotate the front grip and change the up/down angle as well as how far back my hand is to fit my favorite weapons pretty easily.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 3, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Rz_btMLR4

I know Ubisoft blah blah but this looks genuinely insanely fun

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is sound boxing better than audio shield?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I want both Bridge Crew to launch already, as well as that other Multiplayer Space Crew game From Other Suns which looks like it could be even better. Bridge Crew mixed with FPS combat away missions and stuff. Looks amazing!

Haven't they only shown that Aegis Rescue mission every time they have played the game? It was at VRLA when I tried it, and pretty much every other video before and since.

Do they even have any other missions, or do they really not want to spoil the fun, only have like 2 others, etc lol.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

I want both Bridge Crew to launch already, as well as that other Multiplayer Space Crew game From Other Suns which looks like it could be even better. Bridge Crew mixed with FPS combat away missions and stuff. Looks amazing!

Haven't they only shown that Aegis Rescue mission every time they have played the game? It was at VRLA when I tried it, and pretty much every other video before and since.

Do they even have any other missions, or do they really not want to spoil the fun, only have like 2 others, etc lol.

Yeah those are my top two.

There's another video (all taken from https://uploadvr.com/star-trek-bridge-crew-enterprise-preview/) that shows a little bit of the original ship (lmao it's literally all buttons for the interface)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRlMqAh6oI&t=202s

There are gonna be a campaign as well as randomized missions, and presumably you can do them all alone or coop.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pulsar is a good stopgap but they have to do a lot to get it up to snuff, very sickness inducing to some (not me though)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

I just bought soundboxing and have like 30 hrs in audioshield will report back

edit: also, bullet sorrow is really really cool, and in 10 days is doubling the levels (taking it to prob about 3 hours of very polished roomscale time crisis type gameplay) and raising the price, so get it while the getting is good.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 4, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

The Walrus posted:

I just bought soundboxing and have like 30 hrs in audioshield will report back

Dope looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Lemming posted:

Yeah those are my top two.

There's another video (all taken from https://uploadvr.com/star-trek-bridge-crew-enterprise-preview/) that shows a little bit of the original ship (lmao it's literally all buttons for the interface)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRlMqAh6oI&t=202s

There are gonna be a campaign as well as randomized missions, and presumably you can do them all alone or coop.

Lol that early attention to detail (or lack thereof in the Star Trek interface universe lol) I'm glad they decided that was a bad idea and made it an actual touch interface.

Can't wait. Those games are what is going to make social VR a lot of fun for even people that aren't quite sure about VR yet. Co-Op is where it's at.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Knifegrab posted:

That's up to personal taste. Soundboxing uses user-submitted patterns (aka beat maps) instead of procedurally generated ones. When you get a good beat map Soundboxing is the better game imo, but maps with the most work put into them seem to mostly be NightCore and/or anime. Soundboxing is still being actively developed, and a major update was released earlier this week.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The Walrus posted:

edit: also, bullet sorrow is really really cool, and in 10 days is doubling the levels (taking it to prob about 3 hours of very polished roomscale time crisis type gameplay) and raising the price, so get it while the getting is good.

I played it and thought it was absolute and utter tosh. The level design is terrible, cover is not readily available (you need to teleport into position, no other locomotion method), the voice work is awful, the guns are just the worst with ammo counters and the ironsights being too drat shiny, enemies are boring and not visually eyecatching like those in those classic arcade shooters that everyone compares the game to and the boss battles are an absolute joke. As a game it's terrible.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EdEddnEddy posted:

Bridge Crew looks interesting but I really want to play From Other Suns. A lot.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

Bridge Crew looks interesting but I really want to play From Other Suns. A lot.

Yeah but it's coming out in the fall :negative: at least Bridge Crew is May 30th which isn't too far away.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

Yeah but it's coming out in the fall :negative: at least Bridge Crew is May 30th which isn't too far away.

I know its killing me. I hope they add two handed rifles, they seem to be focusing on one handed weapons despite their size :(
Pulsar is a lot of the same idea but its not native VR so the experience is less than stellar. Smooth joystick turning barf machine ahoy! Aiming with the turret in VR is pretty entertaining though.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Looking like bridge crew for me. From Other Suns looks rad as hell, but by the time I get to play it (if ever) it'll probably be irrelevant. :smith:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Latest update from this dude's hobby project has been released called COMPOUND. It's a really promising roguelike shooter thing for the Vive, it's free and a lot of fun. Here's a video of the newest update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQN378p6vH8

And here's a link to the reddit thread with the download links: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/63b1f7/super_lowfi_roguelite_fps_compound_ver_003b/

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Ok I just ran into this Star Trek: Bridge Crew youtube and it looks really impressive. I'm kind of hype for this game now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Rz_btMLR4

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Aphex- posted:

Latest update from this dude's hobby project has been released called COMPOUND. It's a really promising roguelike shooter thing for the Vive, it's free and a lot of fun. Here's a video of the newest update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQN378p6vH8

And here's a link to the reddit thread with the download links: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/63b1f7/super_lowfi_roguelite_fps_compound_ver_003b/

Ok that looks like a ton of fun in a cool modern/retro Wolfenstein 3D sort of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceaim
May 20, 2001

If you're looking for an Ender's Game style of Deathmatch involving zero g, spacesuits and guns, then you can't go wrong with Downward Spiral: Prologue. I am Prince of Presence on steam if you want to play this game with me. The single player is extremely short, so you should mainly buy it for the DM. If you do, add me.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/574940/

Here's a video of the multiplayer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChoOfGwJ5X4

iceaim fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 4, 2017