Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Most of the rest of that stuff is in the lorebook. Lahabrea's origins are a bit of an interpretation as no one knows how Ascians come about.

If I remember correctly it was hinted at that the echo had something to do with ascians. I don't remember the specific instance of it, but it was in the game during pre-heavensward story stuff when an ascian has a conversation with Minfilia (?) and mentions that the scions don't really understand what the echo is, but they also imply that the ascians do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

If I remember correctly it was hinted at that the echo had something to do with ascians. I don't remember the specific instance of it, but it was in the game during pre-heavensward story stuff when an ascian has a conversation with Minfilia (?) and mentions that the scions don't really understand what the echo is, but they also imply that the ascians do.

There was also that "let us show these mortals the true power of the Echo" thing near the end of 3.0.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I'm pretty sure the implication is that the Ascians have the echo as well, but their source of it is Zodiark rather than Hydaelyn.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Eopia posted:

I'm pretty sure the implication is that the Ascians have the echo as well, but their source of it is Zodiark rather than Hydaelyn.

If I remember that conversation right he also implied that if/when we gain a full understanding of the Echo that we may become inclined to agree with the Ascians or at least understand their point of view.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rainuwastaken posted:

If we don't get our next set of Monk skills from an extremely ripped Hamon Holyfist, the class is dead to me.

The SB Black Mage quests need to be about you teaching black magic to your prodigious young apprentice... Cocobusi. Because, after all, while thaumaturgy draws on the user's bodily aether, black magic distinguishes itself by manipulating the aether of the world instead.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
egg is good

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

It doesn't play Papaya, what a wasted opportunity.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Gruckles posted:

If I remember that conversation right he also implied that if/when we gain a full understanding of the Echo that we may become inclined to agree with the Ascians or at least understand their point of view.

considering the 'true power of the echo' bit came right before two ascians merged into one super-ascian, I'd bet the true nature of the echo has something to do with like, accessing the shared collective unconciousness or being of all living beings? considering the echo also makes you an omniglot

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Farg posted:

considering the 'true power of the echo' bit came right before two ascians merged into one super-ascian, I'd bet the true nature of the echo has something to do with like, accessing the shared collective unconciousness or being of all living beings? considering the echo also makes you an omniglot

I think it was stated that it was "the power to create/destroy the barriers between existences" in that fight but I haven't run ARF/watched the cutscenes as many times as other posters so :goonsay:

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy

Yoship I do not want to gently caress the egg.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why are we spoiler tagging plot points from over two years ago?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

More people are getting into the game with the new expansion pack coming out snd free trial period restrictions ending

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Egg doesn't play Papaya? :sloppy:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Is there a certain level of gear I should have before I go gathering in the Diadem?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I finally made it to the end of the main story quest and while the cliff hanger wasn't as good, at least it didn't write itself into a corner this time and has a decent hook for a standalone story

Atarch
Feb 11, 2017

Spoopy Ghost
Has Astrologian gotten any better? Played about a year ago and was just about to get to the point where I could play them but quit due to my time being taken somewhere else. Last I heard however was that it's a pretty sub-standard class due to how the card mechanics work.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's apparently better but now you just toss cards until you get balance, (or arrow to troll your monks)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atarch posted:

Has Astrologian gotten any better? Played about a year ago and was just about to get to the point where I could play them but quit due to my time being taken somewhere else. Last I heard however was that it's a pretty sub-standard class due to how the card mechanics work.

They've apparently buffed it a lot but it seems that buff becomes "Balance Is The Only Important One."

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Lightspeed is incredible, Synastry is frequently just better than Divine Seal, and they have infinite mana. :shrug:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Atarch posted:

Buffed to the point that WHM now exist in a state of "a welcome contribution but people shade towards AST for the increased raid utility".

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Astros are super good, can basically shield better than Scholars, and are basically better or on par with White Mages in most situations. Balance is loving absurd, so you spend most of your time fishing for them. Most of the other cards are "usable" but balance is just so much better nearly 100% of the time.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

They've apparently buffed it a lot but it seems that buff becomes "Balance Is The Only Important One."

That's kinda how ast always was though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Astros are super good, can basically shield better than Scholars, and are basically better or on par with White Mages in most situations. Balance is loving absurd, so you spend most of your time fishing for them. Most of the other cards are "usable" but balance is just so much better nearly 100% of the time.

I disagree with the shielding thing, Crit adlo + deployment still puts AST shields to shame, but they are kind of in a good spot where they're significant without being overpowering*. AST's strength in that area is that the single-target shields are instant cast.

*(I bring this up because last night I had a tank insist that I was wasting my time by briefly swapping out to Noct to put stoneskin + shield on them so they could chainpull big packs, and then soaking up the out-of-combat mana regen while they charged off ahead. I mean, disagree all you like dude, but you stay alive, I get more mana regen, and I'm the one that's putting out most of this group's damage with Gravity spam. :shrug: )

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I disagree with the shielding thing, Crit adlo + deployment still puts AST shields to shame, but they are kind of in a good spot where they're significant without being overpowering. AST's strength in that area is that the single-target shields are instant cast. (I bring this up because last night I had a tank insist that I was wasting my time by briefly swapping out to Noct to put stoneskin + shield on them so they could chainpull big packs, and then soaking up the out-of-combat mana regen while they charged off ahead. I mean, disagree all you like dude, but you stay alive, I get more mana regen, and I'm the one that's putting out most of this group's damage with Gravity spam. :shrug: )

Scholars easily win an adlo shield on a crit, what 10% of the time. Every two minutes it also gives you a skip-mechanic card. I'd agree with you if they had a "next cast crits" ability.

On the other hand, Noct Asp Benefic (467) provides a better shield than Adlo (300), and Noct Asp Helios (247) gives a better shield than succor (150).

With some rough math, a Crit Adlo is about 500 potency, giving you a 1000 potency shield. A crit Noct Asp Benefic is about 750 which isn't anything to scoff at either.

Also, Aspected helios's shield is 82% as good as an Adlo, and it covers the whole party.

I favour the reliability of the AST shields over depending on a crit.

A note that this only compares shield strength. SCHs also have a huge amount of utility, like a 300* potency turret, soil, lustrates, etc.

*It's less than 300, and has a slower cast time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Scholars should get a cooldown ability to make their next spell auto-crit in SB, with no cooldown out of combat.

Similarly, astros should be able to pick whatever card they want out of combat.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Out of combat the cards should just rotate in a fixed order. Maybe in-combat too if they want to make it easier to balance. But I admit I don't know enough about in-combat numbers for Astro to really say one way or the other. Definitely do the first thing though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the reasons scholar are preferred over noct ast in ex primals/progression have nothing to do with shields. they're eos being stupidly strong and the fact that running dual ast lobotomizes your limit bar gain.

do whatever the hell you find most fun in exdr or bird farming or whatever

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Eos is the real MVP.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't mind having to fish for cards out of combat, but really, what sucks is just continually drawing garbage in combat and having to pitch them.

Squeenix, give "throw card for DPS and maybe debuff" ability for getting rid of inconvenient cards for Stormblood plz. Something like, 150 Potency oGCD and:

Balance: +50 potency on the throw
Arrow: Slow
Spire: Physical Damage down
Ewer: Magical Damage down
Spear: Refresh all AST-casted dots
Bole: Vulnerability

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't mind having to fish for cards out of combat, but really, what sucks is just continually drawing garbage in combat and having to pitch them.

Squeenix, give "throw card for DPS and maybe debuff" ability for getting rid of inconvenient cards for Stormblood plz. Something like, 150 Potency oGCD and:

Balance: +50 potency on the throw
Arrow: Slow
Spire: Physical Damage down
Ewer: Magical Damage down
Spear: Refresh all AST-casted dots
Bole: Vulnerability

I think that would be a pretty cool idea. Have a downward card ability that you target at an enemy for a debuff. I see a ton of balancing issues, but I like it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Skaw posted:

Regula Von Hydrus, Nero, and Lucia are probably going to be instrumental in allowing us to defeat the Empire without destroying every single Garlean in our path of doing so. Hydrus is dead, sure. But his men survived to tell the tale of how he and the Warrior of Light fell the Warring Triad, while the other Scions aided in rescuing his subordinates. After Zurvan, we're reminded that Garleans ultimately are just people trying to solve the same problems with different viewpoints, their country and banner does not necessarily make them evil. I'm sure there are some who still see Nero, and Cid, as important figures in Garlean society, if not just scientifically. Ala Mhigo and Doma will be liberated, but Garlemald itself is gonna be a tough nut to crack without Garleans themselves. I'd probably guess whenever we go in to the heart of the beast, it'll be leading a civil war.

OTOH, after reading the flavor text for the pitbull pup I have zero problems putting every Garlean into a woodchipper :colbert:

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

If we're armchair developing AST changes, I think they should increase the cooldown of draw to 60 seconds and just make three cards come out at once. Can't draw the same card twice in one hand, you choose one to RR, one to Hold, and the third is either discarded or has some alternative effect. Like some kind of backwards Mudra system.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Klades posted:

If we're armchair developing AST changes, I think they should increase the cooldown of draw to 60 seconds and just make three cards come out at once. Can't draw the same card twice in one hand, you choose one to RR, one to Hold, and the third is either discarded or has some alternative effect. Like some kind of backwards Mudra system.
I can't imagine how awful the interface for doing that would be, though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd personally want to have hold card and shuffle given big cooldowns (5 or 6 draw cycles worth) and then make each card worth a drat to actually use. It seems a waste of potential if the entire system is trying to game for Balance cards, but it's also a waste if it's the only card worth using. Royal road might need a tweak to make it also not the default choice, but better cards might alleviate that problem.

e: Since I feel like making GBS threads out bad ideas, I wouldn't mind a deck like:
Balance: Increases damage dealt (and received? Too trolly? I'm just trying to not make it the de-facto best choice, and it gives royal road a downside)
Bole: Decreases damage received
Ewer: Regens MP and TP, Lowers TP and MP Costs (basically combine Ewer and Spire and make it not lovely, and usable for everyone)

Spire: Noct sect - gives large regen to target. Diurnal sect - gives large shield to target (simple enough. Needed a new effect anyways, and gives some cross-stance utility)

Arrow: Decreases cast and GCD timers, like default. This is lovely because it causes GCD clipping and higher resource usage, so it needs a benefit to make it not objectively worse than balance - melee range is extended to 10 yalms? Short spell casting not affected by movement?

Spear: gently caress knows? The cooldown thing takes too much coordination, and adversely affects the regimented cooldown use in high end content.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 4, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

With some rough math, a Crit Adlo is about 500 potency, giving you a 1000 potency shield. A crit Noct Asp Benefic is about 750 which isn't anything to scoff at either.

There's one thing that the math doesn't account for in Crit Adlo's favor: how the game handles certain debuff mechanics. A crit Adlo puts up a strong enough shield to literally break encounters because the boss can't apply their debuff through it (because the majority of boss mechanic debuffs have a damage dealt check included in their application.)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's one thing that the math doesn't account for in Crit Adlo's favor: how the game handles certain debuff mechanics. A crit Adlo puts up a strong enough shield to literally break encounters because the boss can't apply their debuff through it (because the majority of boss mechanic debuffs have a damage dealt check included in their application.)

There's truth in that, and I said that a crit-deploy adlo is basically a get out of mechanics free card. However a group depending on an adlo crit with a deployment is going to have issues, and I try not to factor luck into my calculations. It would be nice if they had a guaranteed crit cooldown so they could force that synergy. (Fishing for a crit adlo to deploy at the start of an encounter is dumb as hell because you're messing with ninja mudra cooldowns, ast double balance fishes, and the warrior double infuriate opener. Also, probably rarely relevant over regular aoe shields)

There's also the factor of instant-cast astro shields which is also not accounted for, but a godsend in the right encounter. This includes weird interactions with lightspeed, that make Aspected Helios an instant cast while moving.

It would probably be fair to not call ASTs better shielders as I did, but maybe more reliable.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Not sure how important it is, but back in 1.0 Minfilia's Path of the Twelve was the source of most Echo-related information. Back then it was assumed that the Echo was proffered onto people by the Twelve for different reasons and it was up to the individual to figure out why they were given the gift. Minfilia made an effort to gather like-minded people who had the Echo, partially because those with the Echo were feared as witches and warlocks and the like because people had such a high fear of the unknown, and there was nothing more unknown than the background of the Echo. Minfilia would eventually become acquainted with Louisoix who, with his Sharlayan background, was able to provide more information on the Echo and how it often found resurgeances before Calamities.

The thing I want to mention that hasn't been touched on since then is that many people of the Path of Twelve were said to go missing without a trace while trying to find out more about the Echo. "Path Companions" were assigned to each other so if one member began to stray from the Path, they'd be able to assist each other should anything go awry. Now only a handful of people in the story are seen as Echo holders (Minfilia, Ysayle, Krile, and the Warrior of Light). This said, the Echo also manifests itself in different ways, as Krile's is more influenced by all forms of communication instead of being able to see the past. This's probably an influenced carry-over from FFV where she was the one person who could understand Moogles. Anyway, I'm eager to find out if we'll see Path Companions return in Stormblood, since the WoL's Path Companion was a member of the Ala Mhigan Resistance.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Fister Roboto posted:

Scholars should get a cooldown ability to make their next spell auto-crit in SB, with no cooldown out of combat.

Similarly, astros should be able to pick whatever card they want out of combat.

The ability to force a crit would legitimately be a great thing for their toolkit, I agree.

The out of combat stuff would definitely be a huge QoL thing too.

homeless snail posted:

I can't imagine how awful the interface for doing that would be, though.

Treat it like three successive card draws? The fact that each of their abilities between spread, royal road, and casting the card have their own cooldowns ensures they have to spread out the 3 cards between each. Remembering the 3 card sequence for the handful of seconds it takes you to dole them out wouldn't be terribly onerous in my mind. I don't think this addresses the fundamental problem that a lot of the cards range from useless to stupidly situational though.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 4, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Fun? Fact: If you beat Deathgaze Hollow right after it casts Void Aero IV, the Ice despawns immediately and everyone goes flying off the side of the boat.

Fortunately it still counts as a clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The thing that makes me keep SCH instead of going AST (I did go SCH > AST when 3.0 came out but switched back to SCH) is that DPS'ing as a sch is a lot more then ast, doubly so if I'm level synced. Also not feeling like I failed the group when I can't pull a single balance the entire run.

• Locked thread