Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Sorry, the side you're playing Dipshit's Advocate for or whatever. You're claiming she didn't need more votes. She clearly, demonstrably did. That's a real stupid position to take.

I didn't say she didn't need more votes. I said that she needed specific votes. More votes in Cali clearly would not have helped her, agreed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

WampaLord posted:

You show a startling lack of ability to judge when you're wasting your time.

That may be, but it's my time to waste, not yours. I'm enjoying my discussion with JC. If you don't like it, you're free to put me on ignore.

quote:

I'm trying to help you, spend less time arguing with the smug idiot and more time learning lessons about how leftists should take over the party.

Oh terrific. What lessons would those be?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Nevvy Z posted:

I didn't say she didn't need more votes. I said that she needed specific votes. More votes in Cali clearly would not have helped her, agreed?

You know there were Bernie supporters in every state in the country? Including the ones she lost?

Hmm. If she didn't get the votes she needed to win, that means that MORE of those votes would be required for victory. So what is your point besides idiotic pedantry?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Most Bernie voters voted for Hilary. This is settled.

I doubt it's as settled as you think.

Could you post the data?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I doubt it's as settled as you think.

Could you post the data?

I don't have it handy, but I got it from Bernie supporters in one of these threads. Maybe Frijo has it

Hmm. If she didn't get the votes she needed to win, that means that MORE of those votes would be required for victory. So what is your point besides idiotic pedantry?

That just saying "more votes = win" is stupid, shallow analysis you stupid, shallow man person poster. Especially when you are trying to suggest that certain actions should be taken to capture a certain group of voters, but you can't reliably say that those voters exist in the states she needed in the numbers needed to win them.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 4, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
All the available data shows that the overwhelming majority of those who voted for Bernie in the primaries also voted for Hillary. However, this is not the problem here because hardcore Bernie supporters certainly weren't the only group who were turned off by the high-handedness of Clinton's campaign and fanclub.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't have it handy, but I got it from Bernie supporters in one of these threads. Maybe Frijo has it

That just saying "more votes = win" is stupid, shallow analysis you stupid, shallow man person poster. Especially when you are trying to suggest that certain actions should be taken to capture a certain group of voters, but you can't reliably say that those voters exist in the states she needed in the numbers needed to win them.

Um do you think it's more or less likely that no Sanders voters in those states stayed home

The best part is how angry you're getting at the assertion that Hillary Clinton, bad Presidential candidate who lost the election, needed votes she did not receive.

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 4, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Um do you think it's more or less likely that no Sanders voters in those states stayed home

What action do you take to get them out to vote? How does that action affect the rest of voters? Why does it matter if there aren't enough to swing those states? I'm not angry, you are just dense.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Nevvy Z posted:

What action do you take to get them out to vote? How does that action affect the rest of voters? Why does it matter if there aren't enough to swing those states?

Turn left, DNC! Turn leffffffffft!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Turn left, DNC! Turn leffffffffft!

People keep saying that, yet not providing evidence it would do any good.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Nevvy Z posted:

You're right, banks have such high approval ratings there's no need to turn left there, just as a start

Mmm, check out the Criminal Justice System, and Big Business too. America sure loves that hot centrism that treats those industries as flawless beacons of American exceptionalism

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

You're right, banks have such high approval ratings there's no need to turn left there, just as a start

And congress has a 20% approval rating yet somehow they mostly keep getting reelected.

Edit- that same source shows organized labor even lower than banks. :smithicide:

Nevvy Z posted:

Sorry, to be clear by good I mean win elections for the Democratic party. I'm all for full communism now in the sense of things that would be morally good.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nevvy Z posted:

And congress has a 20% approval rating yet somehow they mostly keep getting reelected.

Edit- that same source shows organized labor even lower than banks. :smithicide:

Sorry, to be clear by good I mean win elections for the Democratic party. I'm all for full communism now in the sense of things that would be morally good.

Why do you think that is?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The other real problem with Hillary's smear campaign is that it killed off a lot, if not most, of the enthusiasm among Sanders supporters and thus cost the Democrats a lot of potential young and eager activists who could have been utilized in campaign work.

But hey, Friend Computer says that Hillary will sweep the Rust Belt, so who the gently caress needs those goddamn lefties?

Nevvy Z posted:

The New Democrat approach has been the biggest disaster ever for the party, and running further right isn't going to work because people always prefer actual rightwing bastards to rightwing bastards with a human face (and furthermore there is no evidence that it would do any good either). So you're kinda out of options here.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Nevvy Z posted:

Hmm. You know which groups Trump bitched about a lot on the campaign trail? :iiam:

Spoiler alert: A lot of the same ones Bernie did

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 4, 2017

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Exit polls can tell you that people who voted for Sanders in the primaries also voted for Clinton, but that doesn't take into account anyone who didn't vote. Exit polls are also not super accurate.

Regular polling can tel you Sanders' supporters intention, but they can also be wrong, plus we're talking about a small subset of all the people polled.

It's hard to really make any definitive statements about whether Clinton got the Sanders vote.

Regardless, people who supported Sanders would rightly argue that the point isn't "people who voted for Sanders in the primary", but rather "general election voters who would have been interested in Sanders' message".

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 4, 2017

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Exit polls can tell you that people who voted for Sanders in the primaries also voted for Clinton, but that doesn't take into account anyone who didn't vote. Exit polls are also not super accurate.

Regular polling can tel you Sanders' supporters intention, but they can also be wrong, plus we're talking about a small subset of all the people polled.

People have become way too reliant on polls in general. They are supposed to be a set of data used to plan a strategy, or read a pulse. They are not meant to be predictors of future events.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Going further left would definitely get more leftists to vote for democrats. The question is if those gains would outweigh the losses among moderates who would no longer vote for democrats. For those who assert that moderate voters are a myth, how do you explain the Wisconsin voters who voted for Hillary and against Feingold, or the NY voters who voted for Hillary and against Teachout, or the voters who voted for Hillary in CA and CO but voted against prop 69 and prop 61?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

JeffersonClay posted:

Going further left would definitely get more leftists to vote for democrats. The question is if those gains would outweigh the losses among moderates who would no longer vote for democrats. For those who assert that moderate voters are a myth, how do you explain the Wisconsin voters who voted for Hillary and against Feingold, or the NY voters who voted for Hillary and against Teachout, or the voters who voted for Hillary in CA and CO but voted against prop 69 and prop 61?

"Moderate" is not mutually exclusive with "chooses the least poo poo candidate of two choices"

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Nevvy Z posted:

Clearly there were not many more votes to be had for her in Michigan, which is why she won that state handily in the primary.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

"Moderate" is not mutually exclusive with "chooses the least poo poo candidate of two choices"

Er... doesn't that support his point? They voted for the Republican in local races, but Trump was so terrible that they voted for Hillary instead of the Republican?

(FWIW I think the Democrats can pick up more voters by going left than by going right, but those are votes they would lose)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kilroy posted:

Clearly there were not many more votes to be had for her in Michigan, which is why she won that state handily in the primary.

:rolleyes: This sure proves everything! :rolleyes:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

JeffersonClay posted:

I don't think anyone is denying that moderate voters exist, but I do think it's unlikely that very many of them would refuse to vote D if the Democrats called for Medicare for all, or something similar.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Cerebral Bore posted:

Maybe the bigger problem, which the Clintonista attitude towards Bernie supporters is indictive of, is that you're not supposed to be gripped by hubris to such a degree that you start to write off entire voting blocs as unnecessary.
Especially in the wake of such a humiliating loss. It takes a special kind of idiot to act like a know-it-all after a defeat like that.

I mean, I was wrong as gently caress, too. I thought she would win. In fact I thought it would be a pretty convincing win and that we'd take the Senate and possibly the House. I was also happy to compromise with centrists since I bought into the demographic collapse theory about the GOP, and that centrist Democrats can win national elections. I mostly ignored the problems at the state level or attributed them more to Debbie Schultz than to the party as a whole. (Don't get me wrong she's terrible, but so is the party for allowing her to be DNC chair for so long.)

So yeah, this election moved me to the left ideologically for sure, but more than that it moved me to the left politically in terms of whose poo poo I'm willing to put up with, and centrist shitheads got crossed off the list. What you're supposed to do after a humiliating loss like this is change your opinions, and if you come out of it thinking "more of the same will do" then you're irresponsible and possibly defective. Even more so if you rub your hands together with glee thinking about what a high-handed patronizing dickhead you get to be now to other factions of the party.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 4, 2017

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Er... doesn't that support his point? They voted for the Republican in local races, but Trump was so terrible that they voted for Hillary instead of the Republican?

(FWIW I think the Democrats can pick up more voters by going left than by going right, but those are votes they would lose)

No, I'm saying that doesn't necessarily tag the voter as a Dem or a Republican because Trump was an extraordinarily bad candidate

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Nevvy Z posted:

:rolleyes: This sure proves everything! :rolleyes:
You're the one insisting that emphasizing more the parts of her platform inspired by Sanders' campaign would not have won her the states that matter, ignoring that she suffered narrow losses in exactly those states where Sanders kicked her rear end in the primary.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

Note that this is exactly the poo poo you insist you never said and continued to insist you never said after I quoted you the posts where you said it. And now you're saying it again. Gaslighting has got to be about the lowest form of argumentative strategy, you poo poo-eating little weasel.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kilroy posted:

You're the one insisting that emphasizing more the parts of her platform inspired by Sanders' campaign would not have won her the states that matter, ignoring that she suffered narrow losses in exactly those states where Sanders kicked her rear end in the primary.

That's actually not what I'm doing at all. And that Sanders beat Clinton in MI and then clinton lost MI doesn't mean that clinton lost MI because sanders supporters didn't vote for her.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Kilroy posted:

Also ignoring that HRC didn't even bother for the most part to campaign in them. Instead she was off at Donors parties in NYC and SF. If this election proved anything money matters less than being able to actually campaign around the country at all times . Which HRC did not do.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Nevvy Z posted:

That's actually not what I'm doing at all. And that Sanders beat Clinton in MI and then clinton lost MI doesn't mean that clinton lost MI because sanders supporters didn't vote for her.

Lol

All the people who stayed home were?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat
In a match up between Hitler and Goring most people showed a preference for Goring, proving once and for all that the moderate voter identifies fully with Goring and would not accept a candidate with more liberal values.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

I don't think anyone is denying that moderate voters exist, but I do think it's unlikely that very many of them would refuse to vote D if the Democrats called for Medicare for all, or something similar.

"Muh taxes will go up if I have to pay for poor people's healthcare :qq:

I'm voting republican from now on"

Totally the people we want on our side

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lol

All the people who stayed home were?

I don't know. I'm not the one making really specious claims without evidence.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

We do have evidence, though: a candidate who ran partially on an economic justice platform, and ran to the left of his opponents on strengthening the welfare state, won those communities handily, two elections in a row. That was four and eight years ago, respectively. poo poo hasn't changed THAT much since then.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Nevvy Z posted:

I think the mistake you're making is thinking that most voters fall into the category of "X supporters" when in fact they do not. Many of them do, but many of them are also making up their minds the day before the election, if not the day of. They get to the polls and they vote for this candidate or that based on pretty superficial reasons, and while most Sanders primary voters (most of whom can probably be called Sanders supporters) were not numerous enough to swing the election even if they abstained from voting altogether or voted for Trump (and by and large they did vote for Hillary), what Sanders' win in some of these states signifies is that a more progressive and leftist message has traction there, and Hillary Clinton hosed up by not taking advantage of that. I mean if you think that the primary voters where Sanders won are the only people who exist in those states receptive to that message, and that the rest of the population was committed either to voting for Hillary or voting for Trump and could not be swayed either way, then I would suggest you have a lot to learn about human behavior.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

"Muh taxes will go up if I have to pay for poor people's healthcare :qq:

I'm voting republican from now on"

Totally the people we want on our side

Unfortunately just as moderates need to become adults and own up to the need to work either with progressives or hard republicans, progressives need to accept that they can't antagonize the moderates (the voters, not the current party leaders). The goal must be a rapprochement under a new, rebuilt party purged of corrupt idiots, not a culture war.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

Note that this is exactly the poo poo you insist you never said and continued to insist you never said after I quoted you the posts where you said it. And now you're saying it again. Gaslighting has got to be about the lowest form of argumentative strategy, you poo poo-eating little weasel.

No, this is the poo poo I've been saying all along, but you think it means the same thing as "I hate leftists and don't want them to have any influence in the party", which is wrong. And you continue to conflate the two despite repeated attempts to explain the difference to you, which is dumb.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Majorian posted:

I don't think anyone has denied that there are a handful of sexist dickheads who supported Bernie; it's pretty clear that Hillary diehards seriously overstated their number and their influence, though.

Also, it's important to note that most people tend to be heavily, heavily biased against non-status quo stupidity, while status quo stupidity receives a pass. For every dumb "Bernie bro" there were probably at least 4-5 casually racist baby boomer Clinton supporters who voted for her because they liked the 90's or something*. Ideas outside of the mainstream are treated far more harshly and critically than ideas that aren't as critical of the status quo.

The above is a large reason why I consider mainstream Democrats who focus disproportionate effort on criticizing and making fun of leftists to be very off-putting, even if the specific people they make fun of are sometimes wrong. I believe it isn't motivated by any genuine desire to accomplish anything good, and is instead motivated by some vague sense of "I saw some campus communists once and ugh those dumb naive fuckers, they're so immature and irrational." Even if they thought leftists would be genuinely harmful, there is currently little threat of them acquiring more power than mainstream Democrats, so it is very bizarre to be so preoccupied with pointing out how dumb and wrong a tiny minority of relatively fringe Democrats/leftists are, especially given that most of the people in question more or less share (or at least claim to share) the same overall goals (while the same can't be said for, say, Republicans or libertarians).

(I say this partly because I used to be on the "criticizing dumb leftists" side of these arguments until I did some introspection and realized that the reasons I was doing so didn't really align with what should have been my stated goals.)

* Further distorting perceptions is the fact that most of the people participating in these arguments primarily interact with other young (20-35 or so) people online, so they tend to see leftists (and thus dumber leftists as well) over-represented relative to the general population.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 4, 2017

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

In a match up between Hitler and Goring most people showed a preference for Goring, proving once and for all that the moderate voter identifies fully with Goring and would not accept a candidate with more liberal values.

Bad analogy, because the people who voted for Clinton but not Feingold are not secret leftists. They're either Republicans who couldn't deal with a candidate as awful as Trump, or moderates; either way, they won't vote for "a candidate with more liberal values." The question is whether we can motivate enough people who didn't vote at all by moving left. I think that's literally the only reasonable thing to try, because everything else either means stagnation or is unethical, but it is an open question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
This discussion is still limited to the presidential election, where I think there were non-policy things about Clinton (Wall St. speeches, emails) that provide the necessary margin for her loss

• Locked thread