Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I've been waiting since 2015 for someone to say something bad about miku so I can post this gif I made of her shaking her head but it doesn't seem like it will ever happen

Thank you for posting the gif. Also the pack came out today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you ever need someone to talk trash about a game so you can post a funny gif please PM me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Prey, Injustice 2... uh... Rime looks like it might be good? The Surge, maybe

Yay Prey

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wish you could change 2b's post-dodge popup to 9s' uh. non-popup. a2 too

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

i wish you could change 2b's post-dodge popup to 9s' uh. non-popup. a2 too

Yeah, but I fix this by just using a heavy weapon for my post-dodge attacks.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I've been waiting since 2015 for someone to say something bad about miku so I can post this gif I made of her shaking her head but it doesn't seem like it will ever happen

My roommate hates Miku and I have to wear headphones while playing it if that helps.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Prey, Injustice 2... uh... Rime looks like it might be good? The Surge, maybe

Injustass Poo.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The whole Miku thing (as I understand it anyway, it's just a corporate virtual pop singer right?) is very weird to me, like, even Gorillaz has clear authorship behind it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

miku works for (married to??) the dominos ceo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Miku is what happens when you take soulless corporate pop and cut out the need to have an actual person singing the songs and doing the tours and wearing the fancy outfits. No negotiating merchandise cuts or royalties, no worrying they might die, get fat or get caught in a scandal, nothing. Just a pure capitalist monster. Every single person working at a Miku concert could get fired and the corporation could just have another concert next week.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Every pop star goes through a drug phase, just wait

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I wonder when the Japanese Audio in this Atlus product will be fixed to not play different music instead of voice overs.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lurdiak posted:

Miku is what happens when you take soulless corporate pop and cut out the need to have an actual person singing the songs and doing the tours and wearing the fancy outfits. No negotiating merchandise cuts or royalties, no worrying they might die, get fat or get caught in a scandal, nothing. Just a pure capitalist monster. Every single person working at a Miku concert could get fired and the corporation could just have another concert next week.

I bet there's some work that goes into choreographing the dances. If you fire people indiscriminately you could wind up with interns churning out Andromeda-levels of articulation.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've read sci-fi short stories warning us about this

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Now that I'm done playing Turok 2 for a while (save for the occasional time I feel like eviscerating chumps as a raptor :getin:) I've picked up my backlog project again.

Age of Mythology threw a curveball I wasn't expecting from an Age of- game that really mixes up the gameplay depending on which civilization you pick. Unfortunately, this made my favorites (the Norse) the hardest to play in a random map.

Now I'm working on Amnesia: The Dark Descent, the last 'A' entry and the first one with a campaign I'll probably play to completion. I'm usually not scared by videogames or movies but this is wracking, holy poo poo :stare:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lurdiak posted:

Is it better that there isn't a human being at the center of this soulless corporate machine? Nobody's taking a belt sander to a living, breathing human being and shaping them into something marketable. A bunch of suits are cementing an anime to a piece of software.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

The whole Miku thing (as I understand it anyway, it's just a corporate virtual pop singer right?) is very weird to me, like, even Gorillaz has clear authorship behind it

Miku is a branded voice for a singing voice synthesizer called Vocaloid. Anyone with the software can make something that sounds like Miku, and there's Miku 3D models out there if you want to make like music videos and stuff.

It's a combination instrument and internet meme.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Aka the "Miku is more ethical than RoboCop" argument.

Which is true.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If Frictional ever makes a VR title people will literally die in it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I like the idea of giving bedroom producers a chance to publish a song with the help of Vocaloids. I think most songs Miku is known for were made by hobbyists and DIY enthusiasts from online communities such as 2ch and Nico Nico Douga. That's one of the awesome aspects of the whole Vocaloid phenomenon. In an ironic way, Miku is more real than your typical big label produced stars, despite being a virtual idol of some sort.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Snak posted:

Which is true.

You have ten seconds to kawaii

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
William Gibson predicted people wanting to marry virtual pop stars all the way back in Idoru which was like 1996

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

haveblue posted:

If Frictional ever makes a VR title people will literally die in it.

i believe it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

Amazing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

Is it better that there isn't a human being at the center of this soulless corporate machine? Nobody's taking a belt sander to a living, breathing human being and shaping them into something marketable. A bunch of suits are cementing an anime to a piece of software.

I'm not qualified to judge that. I will say that it reminds me of the surge of Michael Jackson merchandise that came out after he died. I bet the corporate dudes who have a stake in his image and music were so loving happy that there was no longer a living person dragging their product's image down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr Cheeto posted:

Press A to Kawaii

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rexroom posted:

I like the idea of giving bedroom producers a chance to publish a song with the help of Vocaloids. I think most songs Miku is known for were made by hobbyists and DIY enthusiasts from online communities such as 2ch and Nico Nico Douga. That's one of the awesome aspects of the whole Vocaloid phenomenon. In an ironic way, Miku is more real than your typical big label produced stars, despite being a virtual idol of some sort.

Lots of pop singers these days write or have written at least some of their songs, I'd love to hear an AI-generated Miku song with lyrics

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't Square one of those companies that keeps declaring their games a failure when they don't sell COD numbers?

Just the western ones. Cause they paid big for eidos way back when and have failed to offset their losses making final fantasy with tr and deus ex ever since.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Rexroom posted:

This is cool, assuming these people are getting paid for their work.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Real hurthling! posted:

Just the western ones. Cause they paid big for eidos way back when and have failed to offset their losses making final fantasy with tr and deus ex ever since.

They should just give up on jrpg garbage and only publish western games. I mean what was the last jrpg that anybody actually liked?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

Which is true.

I think that's a pretty myopic view of ethics, to be honest. Capitalism has a way of causing tons of damage to large groups of people but in a diffuse, impersonal way. That's kind of the entire premise of American Psycho, where the moral of the story is that being a serial killer who murders and tortures a handful of individuals is portrayed as not nearly as bad as the damage to society, the economy and people at large that Reagan's America and yuppies in specific were causing. I mean obviously that's a pretty outrageous statement in and of itself, but I feel like the increased power that turning music into a product devoid of any individual's artistic voice gives corporations could be argued to be worse than the system of idols and pop stars that puts young individuals through the wringer. I'm not qualified to make that judgement, and it's a bit too early to tell either way.

tap my mountain posted:

They should just give up on jrpg garbage and only publish western games. I mean what was the last jrpg that anybody actually liked?

People inexplicably seem to love FF15.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

It comes out today

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It has been zero days since the last jrpg that got 9's

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

wowzers

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

The... one that sparked this series of discussion in the first place?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would play a Tomb Raider JRPG.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Persona 5, 0 seconds ago

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/verdelishJP/status/849138662017191938

"10/10, no glaring problems here"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Persona 5 isn't​ anime enough to be a jrpg

this is a joke btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Visual novel with RPG elements