Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A friendly warning to people who actually care about P5:

https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/849008034823233540

https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/849008666720301057

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Wow people are going full blown twitter grammar nazi on JRPG's now? Jesus christ

Guess some people just need a cross to bear or something

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Wow people are going full blown twitter grammar nazi on JRPG's now? Jesus christ

Yes Kingslime, the professional Japanese-to-english translator is being a twitter grammar nazi.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I mean you can't deny that those examples show some very very awkward phrasing, there's no grammar nazism involved

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

people freaking out over a less than perfect localization of P5 is much funnier than Andromeda .gifs, like there's people replying to that saying they can't or won't play the game now lmbo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have no horse in this race which is ironic because the phrase "to think a prison would appear as such" sounds like something horse_ebooks would say

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

people freaking out over a less than perfect localization of P5 is much funnier than Andromeda .gifs, like there's people replying to that saying they can't or won't play the game now lmbo

If I was excited to play a game for its story and that was the level of translation it was at, I'd be pretty put off. But that's just me.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Yes Kingslime, the professional Japanese-to-english translator is being a twitter grammar nazi.

I'm a professional writer and I think those examples are extremely weak

Awkward, sure. But lol at the reactions

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they seem pretty fine to me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KingSlime posted:

:same: on both

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
it really is just you, lurdiak

well you and all those twitter warriors

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think I am going to accept any translation wonkiness as part of the charm of the thing. Like, if it turns into that wall of signs from Hong Kong someone posted earlier, that's one thing. But I loved this from 4, I don't expect or want things to be 100% polished

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAefGu7EIOk

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak and the Twitter Warriors airs at 9 AM/8 AM Central, Saturdays on FOX.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yeah i'd watch it

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's sad that some of it is awkwardly worded after the localization took so long, but if you're playing P5 you're probably used to that kind of stuff.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lurdiak posted:

KingSlime posted:

yeah i'd watch it

I can't stop seeing little cartoon egg people

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

It's sad that some of it is awkwardly worded after the localization took so long, but if you're playing P5 you're probably used to that kind of stuff.

Weirdly enough it seems most of the scanlations-level stuff is in the early game, so it makes a bad first impression and then gets better translated as it goes on. It'd be nice if they patched it, but I don't know if Atlus is the kinda company that does that kinda thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Don't be ridiculous.

It'd be on the CW. :colbert:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

my takeaway. it's still a saturday morning cartoon RPG in many ways, I don't expect polished and elegant dialogue

Honestly I'm mostly surprised because for all the awkwardness, these games still have some of the strongest writing in mainstream gaming

in conclusion people are just little bitches on the internet, thanks for listening

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
All of those sentences seem grammatically correct?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don't criticize games for having flaws

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

translation talk drives everyone insane for some reason

e: cherrypicking overreactions to obviate criticism is weak poo poo tho

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 4, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
or "flaws" in this case

can't forget the air-quotes

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Don't criticize games for having flaws

You don't want to be a little bitch, do ya?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

KingSlime posted:

To be fair, it's in that uncanny valley of translations. It's not natural, but it's also not hilariously bad.

Been playing Andromeda. I can get past the bad animations. But god drat some characters have some of the worst voice acting I've heard in a long time. And even if they weren't bad, the removal of whatever filters they used before means all the aliens sound exactly like humans now.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Snak posted:

aren't you the guy who thought the bloodborne boss' name was "glascoigne" for like a month

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
To think a forum would appear as such.

^ and? Also, I googled "Glascoigne" and when I got a hit for a video of the fighting "Glascoigne" I stupidly thought that meant it was correct. I don't ever read boss names above health bars. I'm busy fighting them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Well, at least they didn't awkwardly change a character to be black this time.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Well, at least they didn't awkwardly change a character to be black this time.

Yeah I saw a history of persona video the other day

what the gently caress where they thinking lmao

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

"A public transit bus was driven down an opposing lane with its customers still in it!"

It's grammatically correct but awkward as all hell. Very clearly "machine"-translated.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ometeotl posted:

"A public transit bus was driven down an opposing lane with its customers still in it!"

It's grammatically correct but awkward as all hell. Very clearly "machine"-translated.

That's pretty rough. I didn't see that one.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I also didn't notice any awkwardness despite being a few hours in because the voice acting is pretty drat strong

I'm really enjoying going between playing the game and sitting back, relaxing as dialogue or scenes unfold

it's almost like *gasp* I'm watching an anime

E: also anime has hilariously cringey dialogue like, all the time so I don't really get the e-reactions to these largely unoffensive examples

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Snak posted:

They are, they're just composed in this rather stilted and awkward way that is the mark of an overly-literal translation.

KingSlime posted:

or "flaws" in this case

can't forget the air-quotes

The lines are bad, I'm sorry to tell you this but if you can't see it it's possible that anime has broken your brain.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LawfulWaffle posted:

I can't stop seeing little cartoon egg people

They changed it! (For the dumbest reasons)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The problem with translating Japanese nerd poo poo is that even if you do a good job, a subset will flip out and edit your work to make it "faithfully" dry and stilted

e: well that and getting paid dirt lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i didn't think atlus made the translation but... more evil...

Serf
May 5, 2011

The sentences seem fine. From a writer's perspective they are weird, sure, but that might just be something they're going for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They changed it! (For the dumbest reasons)

It's amazing that their solution to the problem of rampant harassment on their platform was to change an icon.

Motto posted:

The problem with translating Japanese nerd poo poo is that even if you do a good job, a subset will flip out and edit your work to make it "faithfully" dry and stilted

Oh god, I hate those Gatsu people.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
But soft, what light through yonder anime breaks? Tis the far east, and Persona is the rising sun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
All your base are pedantic nerds!

• Locked thread