Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

basic hitler posted:

A show about methman is made worse by a wife who represents the real world. He shouldve had a crazy tweaker wife who was all in on day one and a cool meth son who uses meth to deal with his disability+ study harder in school with dads meths

Family meth hour would've been a better show

METH - Good In Moderation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Little known fact- meth is safe and cool.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you need to stay awake, meth is useful. Also if you need to lose weight. Fun fact: it's only schedule ii, which makes it safer than marijuana!

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Blue Raider posted:

true detective season 1 is the best tv has ever been.

Tolkien minority posted:

I agree. Like there's a lot of great tv shows but td is like a movie, there's nothing wasted or filler and it all just comes together perfectly

im shook by this

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Blue Raider posted:

true detective season 1 is the best tv has ever been. ill also accept arguments for deadwood

Deadwood yes, TD season 2 actually retroactively ruined the first season a little bit. It made me a little apoplectic.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Breaking Bad was especially frustrating to watch live as it unfolded, episode by episode. AMC would have the long commercial breaks and I'd have to see Jon Hamm's stupid face like five times over an hour since Mad Men was booming too. Worse yet, the show bats a consistent .333 on good scenes, so you'd get like a dud of a scene, a good scene, another dud then ohp time to be reminded that Mad Men is on too!

And then just to wait a week for the same spotty viewing experience. It definitely improves to just roll through the show on Netflix.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Peetown Manning posted:

Breaking Bad was especially frustrating to watch live as it unfolded, episode by episode. AMC would have the long commercial breaks and I'd have to see Jon Hamm's stupid face like five times over an hour since Mad Men was booming too. Worse yet, the show bats a consistent .333 on good scenes, so you'd get like a dud of a scene, a good scene, another dud then ohp time to be reminded that Mad Men is on too!

And then just to wait a week for the same spotty viewing experience. It definitely improves to just roll through the show on Netflix.

Yes and then this process was extended over like 6 years as well, ugh

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The main thing that bugs me about Skylurrrs character is that the entire point is that Walt doesn't make enough to support his family. It's implied that Skylar is kind of not good at working because her "job" is like a sell-on-amazon thing. But later in the series she kicks rear end at every job.

Why didn't she just be good at working at the start of the series. To be a stay at home mom for her teenager?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The main thing that bugs me about Skylurrrs character is that the entire point is that Walt doesn't make enough to support his family. It's implied that Skylar is kind of not good at working because her "job" is like a sell-on-amazon thing. But later in the series she kicks rear end at every job.

Why didn't she just be good at working at the start of the series. To be a stay at home mom for her teenager?

You see, the realization of cancer/death POWERS EVERYTHING

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

walt wouldnt be able to support his family bc hed be dead and they had a tiny baby to take care of so they would have had to crate train the baby and it would get restless and bark and upset the neighbors you stuipid shitbird

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Peetown Manning posted:

You see, the realization of cancer/death POWERS EVERYTHING

I dunno, vicious masculine entitlement/bitterness being totally unstoppable and destructive when let out the cage is half the point of the show...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I thought the point was that Walter White was always a gigantic, egotistical piece of poo poo but it took the threat of cancer for him to own up to his own inherent badness. He doesn't "become" a bad guy, he was always a bad guy but he had a good job and good health so he just played it safe and didn't make waves.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

King Vidiot posted:

I thought the point was that Walter White was always a gigantic, egotistical piece of poo poo but it took the threat of cancer for him to own up to his own inherent badness. He doesn't "become" a bad guy, he was always a bad guy but he had a good job and good health so he just played it safe and didn't make waves.

This, which is why he blew up his opportunity to be rich when in college for a super tenuous reason.

Then he took his ball and went home to be a high school teacher instead of using his field experience and knowledge to do something else super lucrative anyway. He's a chemistry genius with lots of connections and yet he is a HS teacher because he can't get off his high horse for 2 seconds and would rather burn his and his family's life down before taking help.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i should check out deadwood

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

that was a very nice fuckin letter, bullock.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I wish all shows could have the caliber of cinematography and editing that Breaking Bad had. A lot of scenes in the show are basically frivolous or unimportant but the cinematography alone is enough to make them interesting and fun to watch. Better Call Saul is an even better example because it uses the same style and is a super tense show despite not a whole lot happening in two whole seasons now.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
breaking bad was a great show because it's super compelling to watch a bitter nerd become a legit richass drug kingpin

i was kind of bummed they didn't have walt's cancer go away forever and have him living alone, rich but lonely and miserable as poo poo because he had to create a new identity and can never ever ever speak to his family or even send them money

it would have been a better ending but i'm still pretty happy with the show overall; i wish they focused more on the european connection instead of the nazis tho

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I wish all shows could have the caliber of cinematography and editing that Breaking Bad had. A lot of scenes in the show are basically frivolous or unimportant but the cinematography alone is enough to make them interesting and fun to watch. Better Call Saul is an even better example because it uses the same style and is a super tense show despite not a whole lot happening in two whole seasons now.

I like Better Call Saul a lot but they really need to start ramping up the Gus and Mike part of the show. Gus's operation was some of the suavest poo poo in TV history

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Season 2 of Breaking Bad was the only one that they actually plotted out and wrote from the beginning instead of just making it up along as they went, it must suck to know that the season you worked the hardest on is the one everyone considers to the worst.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

Season 2 of Breaking Bad was the only one that they actually plotted out and wrote from the beginning instead of just making it up along as they went, it must suck to know that the season you worked the hardest on is the one everyone considers to the worst.

Well what Breaking Bad did and why it worked better than other shows is something I call Retroactive Continuity

Most shows: Hero gets stuck, writers invent a some random loving way for them to get out of it
Breaking Bad: Hero gets stuck, writers look at all past events and characters to find some way for them to get out of it

As a result Breaking Bad feels very natural even if they're winging it; the characters are doing logical things based on things established, and thus, they're building on what they've already done and pulling it together even before they had an end goal.

It's a common sense great idea for TV writers, which is why 99% of them don't do it and don't even know the rules of the show they're writing for.

ED: BCS is kind of amusing in this regard because they are still actively doing this with Saul/BB, except in reverse - where they are taking references and things mentioned in Breaking Bad and fleshing them out in the prequel. Best example: Nacho in Saul came from Saul screaming about a guy named Nacho when he's kidnapped and meets Walt & Jesse.

Little things like that make a huge, huge difference at coherence.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

numberoneposter posted:

i should check out deadwood

You better, cocksucker

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

lmao

'actually, you'll find that it starts to get good after you have already wasted dozens of hours watching the show :smug:

I said it goes from "Very, very good" to "Incredibly Exceptional."

And yeah there are some shows with lovely first seasons that got good after. :dealwithit:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

Most shows: Hero gets stuck, writers invent a some random loving way for them to get out of it

See: the walking dead

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Secular Humanist posted:

The only actually bad part of breaking bad is the portrayal of meth addicts. Like, I get that drugs are bad, but they were so insanely cartoonish and one dimensional, and jesse meanwhile was seemingly immune to the mummifying effects of meth use somehow and *his* use was always presented as a dramatic emotional struggle whereas the nameless addicts were just "lol some dirtbag prob sucks dick for meth lol"

I think that was pretty intentional, because of Walt's investment. Even though Walt was being a total loving rear end in a top hat exploiting Jesse, without Walt having set Jesse on a different path, he would absolutely end up like that.

In fact the one point in the show he avoids Walt, he ends up living in a dug den spaced the gently caress out, going to rehab meetings to push drugs.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

Well what Breaking Bad did and why it worked better than other shows is something I call Retroactive Continuity

Breaking Bad: Hero gets stuck, writers look at all past events and characters to find some way for them to get out of it

As a result Breaking Bad feels very natural even if they're winging it; the characters are doing logical things based on things established, and thus, they're building on what they've already done and pulling it together even before they had an end goal.

It's a common sense great idea for TV writers, which is why 99% of them don't do it and don't even know the rules of the show they're writing for.

ED: BCS is kind of amusing in this regard because they are still actively doing this with Saul/BB, except in reverse - where they are taking references and things mentioned in Breaking Bad and fleshing them out in the prequel. Best example: Nacho in Saul came from Saul screaming about a guy named Nacho when he's kidnapped and meets Walt & Jesse.

Little things like that make a huge, huge difference at coherence.

:agreed: except the MAGNETS thing at the beginning of season 5

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Secular Humanist posted:

The only actually bad part of breaking bad is the portrayal of meth addicts. Like, I get that drugs are bad, but they were so insanely cartoonish and one dimensional,

Meth junkies are loving trash and the worst of all addicts

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
It's already been touched on upthread but why is Sklyer some kind of virtuous paragon? She's clearly intelligent and motivated with a background in accounting but she would rather be a stay at home mom/"writer" while Walt is literally dying working two jobs. They're both shitheels who deserve each other: Walt wants to play at being the chivalrous patriarch and she's happy to indulge him unless it's inconvenient for her.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Excuse me being a mother is the most difficult job in the world

Nightrain
Dec 17, 2004

I may be new to SA, but I've been playing guitar in the desert and on top of pianos for years

Blue Train posted:

Excuse me being a mother is the most difficult job in the world

Especially when your kid never shuts up about breakfast

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Do you think Skylar smoked when she was pregnant with Walter Jr. too and that's what made him retarded

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Do you think Skylar smoked when she was pregnant with Walter Jr. too and that's what made him retarded

He has aids, not retard stuff show respect

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Carver Crisis posted:

Criticize the plane crash all you want but I think the scene where Walt tells the school assembly that it wasn't the worst air disaster ever more than justifies its existence.

It's fun watching him go from trying to convince the students that it wasn't such a bad thing, to trying to convince himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-8FB6k8jik

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i like that, at teh end of the day, they really were saved by a robot

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

King Vidiot posted:

This is correct and obvious when watching the series a second time. He starts being a selfish, ego driven dick by episode three at the latest

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

King Vidiot posted:

The show is called Breaking Bad.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

walt doing that speach in the school gym was him putting all the nails in the coffin all at once to remove himself from the school system without actually saying he quits

like other posters, hello :wave:, have mention this show was written somewhat without an end game for a lot of it and it produces stuff like that which is great

hes in full black there too explaining the plane crash

the producers "color theory" is pretty good at giving hints to characters motives

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 5, 2017

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

the other show that comes to mind which also got itself in a similar situation was battle star galactica and especailly its spin off galaga: computer girl or whatever

i enjoyed both quite a bit even though they ultimately kind of ended very weird

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Decrepus posted:

The show is called Breaking Bad.

He throws a pizza on a garage, that is the sign of a born bad dude

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

numberoneposter posted:

the producers "color theory" is pretty good at giving hints to characters motives

It's also incredibly forced and unsubtle. Like we get it already, Marie likes purple and walt alternates between green and black when he's the bad guy. It just felt like a shoehorned-in/forced way to have a ~deeper meaning~ for people to play media critic/analyst on the internet about.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's also incredibly forced and unsubtle. Like we get it already, Marie likes purple and walt alternates between green and black when he's the bad guy. It just felt like a shoehorned-in/forced way to have a ~deeper meaning~ for people to play media critic/analyst on the internet about.
shoe horned indeed, almost like a comic book, i dont necessarily think thats a bad thing in pretty outlandish work of fiction, im not sure i like it either but i also dont think its trying to make it like the next william shakesman tragedy. but since its entirely a work of fiction dont you think that any more nuance is appreciated?

im sure you have seen this before its the infographic that someone with a lot of time put together a chart of what the characters wore until the end of the series

i dont see how it takes away from the show and i agree it doesnt really work on its own

it just shows attention to detail

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

People have too much time on their hands

• Locked thread