Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Jordbo posted:

If you mean the screaming angel, I think it's the old lady finally transformed - the things you kill to defeat the other angels look like pilgrims, so I guess that's just their final form. It's flying around in the sky if you look up (she's still enjoying the view, especially with you still in it!)
That's adorable. She must be the one murdering my framerate in that area though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Nakar posted:

I already mentioned that, but so what? You can't see half of them before you actually land in them (you can see the ash piles just fine, I'm not saying otherwise, but the sigil is hard to make out from above). I think a better idea would've been to make the ash piles a lot bigger and have some sort of wispy dust cloud effect wafting off the safe ones, but that might've been a performance nightmare given how much stuff is going on in the Dreg Heap already. But then the first time you drop down and a bunch of ash is thrown up in the air as you thump into a soft pile of it you'd grasp "okay that big pile broke my fall." As it is there's ash everywhere and it's impossible to distinguish so there's just random black sigils on the ground and messages from Gael indicating the ones that are especially comfy.

I just meant that as a fiction justification. If you mean warning that you won't die all of them have a message left my gael telling you to drop.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
lmao of course they're nerfing the loving Spears fight. God forbid there be a fight that isn't instantly trivalized by summons.

Was gonna play BOTW today but I guess I should enjoy not being eviscerated in a 4v1 while it lasts.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I love how threatening Gael is when he changes to his second phase. He starts out as a mindless beast and then you smack some sense into him. I loved how the cape was floating and has a life of it's own and the lightning bolts. A lot of people are complaining about how over the top it is, but I thought it was great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's cool how he's literally an old Guts from Berserk

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Internet Kraken posted:

When none of the platforms are raised the Dragonrider can literally kill himself though.

EDIT: I got summoned as spear fighting Midir on the cliff. When I got back into the game, it spawned me inside one of his claws which caused me to glitch out and instantly fall off the ledge.

Thank you Dark Souls.

You deserve it for pledging your loyalty to that drowsy bitch. When I told my dad that my plan after graduation was to lock myself in a room by myself and sleep until the end of time, he beat me up and molested me twice, and you know what? He was right. Spending eternity spooning with fragile pottery doesn't make you "aloof" or "mysterious," it makes you "unemployed" and "mentally ill." How about you get a job?

And as for you Internet Kraken, oh, don't think I've forgotten about you. Do you really think if you stop enough invaders or hand over just the right amount of Spear Ornaments that Princess Important, Her Royal Indolency of the NEET Kingdom, is going to reward you or any other member of your merry band of orbiters? Please. As to your devotion to that enormous, comatose bimbo (that I'm certain you call your "waifu"--a term that you've no doubt convinced yourself that you're using ironically as a defense mechanism against realizing just how deathly sincere you truly are) the "service" you provide her could be accomplished by a deadbolt and a pair of earplugs​, but they don't fawn over her or enable her incredible laziness, so a gaggle of of nervous, greasy, acne-scarred sycophants it is!

I can't decide who needs the wake-up call more, Little Miss Bedsores or the hopeless Spear-polishers who idolize her.

... I may have been crushed a few (several) times by the Spears in that boss fight...

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Internet Kraken posted:

lmao of course they're nerfing the loving Spears fight. God forbid there be a fight that isn't instantly trivalized by summons.

Was gonna play BOTW today but I guess I should enjoy not being eviscerated in a 4v1 while it lasts.

You should be happy they're making it harder for you. Dark Souls is supposed to be hard. :grin:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Did you ever try prism stones on them? I've never actually used one to test a drop, but they're supposed to make some noise if the fall is lethal.

prism stones will make some safe drops sound like a lethal one. They didn't change their programming (however that works); I dropped one on the last fall before you get to the second bonfire and it gives that horrible *CLANG* sound. Presumably the prism stones just check whether a fall is at or below a certain threshold rather than actually simulating a fall and returning the results.

double nine fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 4, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

New Concept Hole posted:

You should be happy they're making it harder for you. Dark Souls is supposed to be hard. :grin:

Look I already get my fill of hard mode invasions when I invade the world of "Preys on Invaders" and he's got 3 phantoms and a seed popped.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Any hot tips for taking out those annoying rear end turtle dudes? When there's just one of 'em I can handle them fine but when another enters the mix it's either get a full combo in and maybe take one out while losing 90% of my HP or just running for the hills.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I want to know more about the sleeping lady and the spears

what is happening, why is her sleep so important to the story, why do the gods insist on her slumber, why are her eyes all corrupted, what even in the gently caress happened when you touch the egg

why

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm guessing it's insulating the Ringed City from the world. Originally it was meant to keep them locked in, but now it's locking everything else out. When the dream is broken the collapse of the world washes over the city and it takes on the ages of ruin from the cycles of linking all at once.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dude the kiln of the first flame, this is like freakin end of evangelion.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

A fight against a dark corrupted person starts with them throwing a corpse at you off their sword (their stance is sort of similar too.)

This was funny to me because people keep comparing Gael to Guts but uh... that was kind of exactly what was going on with Artorias, down to the wolf stuff.

I've honestly kind of made my peace with the idea that Dark Souls and Bloodborne are the creative and coherent ones, and Dark Souls 2 and 3 are just sort of fun games that make poo poo up like as they go.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Genocyber posted:

The only adjustment they should be making to that fight/covenant is making it so you can be summoned more quickly than an hour.

Like in all other Dark Souls, the answer is Cheat Engine.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Are the laser angels really that contentious? They've felt trivially easy to avoid with obvious cover, and their "switch" was generally found in a few minutes and taken care off. I was honestly disappointed they didn't respawn. Hidden body should've totally worked though (and will, so that's good).

RIGHT! i knew that seemed extremely familiar, but the reference didn't click until now.
It's been a while since i played that part of DS1, and probably much longer since the last time i didn't skip that cutscene.

it took me over a half hour to find the bodies for the angels, at which point i gave up and used youtube. i'm extremely bad at noticing non-enemy things in these games, including pretyt much every npc (never saw eileen, didn't see lapp when i should've, etc). gael on the other hand took me like 5 tries on ng+

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

wizard on a water slide posted:

I've honestly kind of made my peace with the idea that Dark Souls and Bloodborne are the creative and coherent ones, and Dark Souls 2 and 3 are just sort of fun games that make poo poo up like as they go.

is it ever explained why portions of earthen peak are included in the dreg heap or is it just the case that the devs heard every lore nerd bitching about how DS2 is the unloved step-child and not a canon game and so they just stuck some token DS2 stuff to shut them up? because other than titty armor, i couldn't find any other explanation for why it was included.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Tier 3 sunbros should get an extra bright summon sign but nobody else can be summoned if you summon them

Would be a nice change of pace from "Wait 5 minutes for the host to gather two more summons, host dies in 15 seconds anyway"

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Speaking of cheating, there's apparently a glitch where if you use the Force miracle, throw a throwing knife, and then quickly switch to the Spear Fragment, you can use Spear Fragments outside of the boss fight - except the spears are completely invisible! I'd link the video, but it's incredibly obnoxious and way to long, so whatever. If you're mysteriously killed by an invader using force, that's why.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I just got invaded by a mad phantom that didn't get sent home when I entered a boss room and I was able to crystal him out. I thought they fixed that glitch?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

So I got to phase 2 finally and even got to phase 3 on the same try. With the rear end+9 :suicide:

180 damage per hit

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
When I was at the first Judicator gauntlet, I saw 2 mad spirit summon signs that looked like NPCs, even having equipment from DLC that I hadn't seen before and names like "Lorin of Londor" or whatever. I summoned both of them, and saw they spawned right near the Judicator and they took it out and waited for me there, since they were obviously players. I tried to black crystal them out before they did so because I wanted to do the gauntlet myself, but I couldn't. They dueled on the platform, then I dueled the survivor and lost, and was pretty pleased that it respawned. I didn't know you couldn't black crystal phantoms you summoned from your game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Like in all other Dark Souls, the answer is Cheat Engine.

If you could explain to me how to get CE working on a PS4 I'd be all ears.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah i haven't played it yet, it certainly seems to hit the subjective difficulty spikes pretty hard. Although unlike DS it has difficulty modes, i've heard.

And yeah, this DLC definitely harks back to a lot of previous patterns, obviously in a knowing wink and nod way. The dragon that breathes fire on a bridge in a trivially predictable pattern is basically required by law now, as is Patches kicking you down a hole, the callback to DS1's Great Hollow entry with the triple illusionary wall, that area that basically feels like a section straight up from the DS1 catacombs, the straight up DeS Old Monk boss fight. Probably way more than i'm forgetting or missing now. Even both Midir and Gael seem to encapsulate my favorite parts of their true-and-tried boss archetypes.

All cool and good and a great note to go out on.

I thought the first boss felt like a reverse spin on the old gargoyle fight; at this point fighting two mobs is old hat, in stark contrast to the "I HAVE TO KILL TWO OF THEM?" when you first face Gargoyles in DS1. So then of course the boss's "real" form is the "fair" 1 on 1 fight :v:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Genocyber posted:

If you could explain to me how to get CE working on a PS4 I'd be all ears.

that's where you hosed up

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

is it ever explained why portions of earthen peak are included in the dreg heap or is it just the case that the devs heard every lore nerd bitching about how DS2 is the unloved step-child and not a canon game and so they just stuck some token DS2 stuff to shut them up? because other than titty armor, i couldn't find any other explanation for why it was included.

Dreg Heap is made up of Lothric Castle, Earthen Peak, and Firelink Shrine (look around the demon boss fight area for the last one, you can even see Frampt's shrine)

I feel like they could've done more with Firelink Shrine or made it more obvious, and I hate that they used Earthen Peak and not a more memorable area like Lost Bastille, but I guess they didn't want two contrasting castle areas.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The fact that they used Earthen Peak but didn't have any mannikins jumping out of the ash to gank you is sad. Also I think Zoey doesn't even use forbidden sun which is definitely the most memorable bullshit move the pyromancers had.

The Dreg Heap is supposed to combine elements from all 3 games but most of it is Lothric Highwall. Its a cool area but I really wish it was longer. gently caress the Ringed City, that place is way more interesting.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 4, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Here's the whole patch list. Most everyone got the big points:

Ashen Ones,
Dark Souls III will be updated to regulation version 1.32 on April 5th at the following times:
PS4/Xone:
JST - 4/5 11:00am
CEST - 4/5 4:00am
PST - 4/4 7:00pm
Steam:
JST - 4/5 6:00pm
CEST- 4/5 11:00am
PST - 4/5 2:00am
The update will bring the following changes:
• Reduced damage of the light arrows fired by "Angels"
• The sorcery "Hidden Body" is now effective against "Angels"
• Reduced the damage of homing spears released from "Spear of the Church"
• Reduced the amount of bonus absorption the "Spear of the Church" receives during 1vs2, 1vs3 and 1vs4 games (1vs1 is unaffected)
• Reduced the amount of HP "Church Guardian" has during a 1vs1 match (1vs2, 1vs3 and 1vs4 are unaffected)
• Increased damage and scaling of simple, crystal, fire, chaos, lightning, dark, deep and blessed infusions
• Increased damage of raw infusions
• Reduced damage and scaling of heavy infusions at lower weapon levels
• Increased scaling of sharp infusions, and increased damage gain at high levels of dexterity
• Reduced scaling of heavy infusions on lighter weapons
• Reduced damage of "Exile Greatsword"
• Reduced damage for L1(LB) attacks, and increased stamina consumption for L1(LB) attacks and weapon art "Ember" of "Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords"
• Fixed a bug where the weapon art "Wind Wheel" of "Splitleaf Greatsword" was applying more status effects than intended
• Fixed a bug where fully charged R2(RT) attacks of "Profaned Greatsword" and "Black Knight Greatsword" were not consuming additional stamina
• Fixed a bug where the weapon art of "Preacher's Right Arm" would combo for more hits than intended
• Fixed a bug where the weapon art of "Painting Guardian's Curved Sword" would combo for more hits than intended
• Increased damage of Toxic dealt by players, but reduced the penalty to stamina regeneration

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Internet Kraken posted:

Its a cool area but I really wish it was longer.
I heartily agree, but considering how hard my game already struggles with the sight-lines in that place - i guess that's their Blighttown callback - they might've just hit technical limitations. And their skybox is already obviously filled with the same building copy-pasted half a dozen times.

Also i've had more CTDs and freezes in the 10 hours of playing this dlc than in the 200+ before. Is that just me or a common thing?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

double nine posted:

prism stones will make some safe drops sound like a lethal one. They didn't change their programming (however that works); I dropped one on the last fall before you get to the second bonfire and it gives that horrible *CLANG* sound. Presumably the prism stones just check whether a fall is at or below a certain threshold rather than actually simulating a fall and returning the results.

You'll know a fatal prism stone fall noise. It's a blood curdling death shriek, where the survivable falls are CLANG sounds.

KingSlime posted:

that's where you hosed up

How many accounts were irrevocably soft banned thanks to the rash of cheaters for the first year this game was out on PC? Was that ever resolved?

BlackFrost posted:

Any hot tips for taking out those annoying rear end turtle dudes? When there's just one of 'em I can handle them fine but when another enters the mix it's either get a full combo in and maybe take one out while losing 90% of my HP or just running for the hills.

A fully charged R2 should flip them on their back, exposing their soft underbellies and balls.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 4, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Annath posted:

So, I beat Midir.

Now I have to decide what to make from the soul. I want both choices, although I guess I'm leaning towards the Sword since Old Moonlight looks super cool but probably harder to use in practice.

Goons, what should I do?

I have old moonlight and its less than desirable so go for the sword. It's anime as all gently caress but, it does really good damage and has awesome weapon arts.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Uncle w Benefits posted:

How many accounts were irrevocably soft banned thanks to the rash of cheaters for the first year this game was out on PC? Was that ever resolved?

Well...

Funny thing about that...

Bans are loving temporary in DS3. And once the tempban is lifted it's like they forget to reban that account ever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It's good that they're only nerfing the L1 and L2 attacks on the paired UGS. I prefer to combo R1, R1 then L1 and find it kicks most people's rear end good enough.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Uncle w Benefits posted:

No clue, been playing since launch at a (mostly) silky 60fps and aside from flustered redditors, haven't seen many players complain about this or ran into any hackers/issues on my end

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Azuth0667 posted:

I have old moonlight and its less than desirable so go for the sword. It's anime as all gently caress but, it does really good damage and has awesome weapon arts.

:saddowns: I already grabbed the other one because nobody weighed in in time :saddowns:

Anyone on PS4 have a Frayed Blade they don't want?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
For those who are playing pyro and having trouble with Zoey, try using Rapport on the little bastards near her. I just did it on a lark and they pretty much instaganked her.

Kind of a dick way of going about it, considering her background. :smith:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Starting a new run to do both AoA and TRC since I've never done them before and to do my first pure solo run in DS3. Have to admit I'm having real trouble with Sister Friede and have actually had to change my armor+shield setup, something I haven't done for any other boss yet. A max frost defense and max stability shield setup has allowed me to facetank her first phase easily enough. I just find the next two phases to be fairly annoying in that I can't get a hit in most of the time, the third phase in particular. I can see why they give you gael even when unkindled, but I'm not gonna use him.

At least I'm getting plenty of sunlight medals helping guys who aren't as patient as me. :v: Lots of guys seems to have just caved and gotten two sunbros and gael to completely chew her up.

e; Scratch that, three sunbros and gael. :stare: People must really loving hate this boss to want to loving gangrape it.

e2; My will is straining... struggling not to summon Gael...

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 5, 2017

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
Holy crap, I haven't been playing this for ~10 months and I picked it up again with both of the dlcs. I started a new character with old topic suggestion of vordt's hammer and otherwise vigor/endurance build. It has been the smoothest playthrought of all time. :downs:

Vordt's hammer, grass crest shield, chloranty ring and medium armor with tons of hp. Smooth sailing.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Annath posted:

So, I beat Midir.

Now I have to decide what to make from the soul. I want both choices, although I guess I'm leaning towards the Sword since Old Moonlight looks super cool but probably harder to use in practice.

Goons, what should I do?

I found the spell to be completely useless, but maybe someone else found a way to make it work. Just seems like it doesn't hit as hard as comparable options while also being way too predictable/slow to actually be useful for like, being tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Maleh-Vor posted:

and was pretty pleased that it respawned.

I think you're the only person I've seen say that.