Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

shortspecialbus posted:

Yeah but its not your job to teach kids lessons, especially a blast on the horn that's likely to scare the girl and have her fall off her bike and injure herself. I mean I sympathize with your point but it's a terrible idea.
I'd rather that than have them wander under a truck I'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
It's me. I'm the rear end in a top hat that blares the horn at kids in the street.

Why? Because a kid that's loving terrified of cars is a kid that stays out of the road and doesn't get run over.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

As I'm pulling up to the car wash, 3 teens walk out from behind a 6' tall shrub, not even looking. I didn't even see them until the first step into the road because the shrub is flush with the curb.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Far too many people just casually saunter off a curb into the street without breaking eye contact with their phone. Really, we should extend testing and licensing to include the sidewalks as well.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

shortspecialbus posted:

Yeah but its not your job to teach kids lessons, especially a blast on the horn that's likely to scare the girl and have her fall off her bike and injure herself.

Yeah, its much better to just teach kids the world owes them a favor, they can do whatever they please and their stupidity is everybody else's problem.

No possible way this could go wrong once the entitled brat gets old enough to drive a car either :rolleyes:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geoj posted:

Can't even imagine what insurance premiums must be on a policy with a teenager and an RS7 before said teenager has an at-fault accident.

$27k in damage too from the comments section :stonklol:

Psh, it's an RS7, that's less than a brake job.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I think I have paid less than 27K total for all the cars I've ever owned since my first one in 1980...

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=05b_1490413048

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

A gentle left hander that they can't handle at 60mph, terrific.

From what I remember reading a while back (an interview with a driving instructor at a racetrack) a lot of people really underestimate how sharp their car can turn. They feel the G's and go "OH NOES IF I TURN ANY MORE IT WILL FLIP!" because they're not used to horizontal acceleration that their car really can pull.

I could see this happening to the kids. They're also dumb loving kids.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alkydere posted:

From what I remember reading a while back (an interview with a driving instructor at a racetrack) a lot of people really underestimate how sharp their car can turn. They feel the G's and go "OH NOES IF I TURN ANY MORE IT WILL FLIP!" because they're not used to horizontal acceleration that their car really can pull.

This is how my passengers feel.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alkydere posted:

I could see this happening to the kids. They're also dumb loving kids.

I think I may have gone sliiiiiightly sideways today doing that on rain soaked roads turning into the gas station (no really, if I did it wasn't too much). In my defense I was probably too tired to drive at that point, but had to anyway.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
This morning: three-lane major thoroughfare southbound, morning rush just getting into gear, and a couple blocks ahead of me traffic has stopped for a light, all lanes.

Obviously, this is an excellent time for a bicyclist to head north against traffic, splitting lanes between the stopped cars and ending up heading straight at my front bumper as I approach slowing from 30, right? `

He eventually figured out that I was continuing onwards, and whipped over onto the sidewalk to turn his head and give me a dirty look. No phone or other distraction, just being a fuckhead, I guess.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

The calm voice of Gordon Lightfoot really makes this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, between getting an estimate on someone backing into his car in a parking lot last week, and taking it to the body shop today, someone apparently did a hit and run on my dad's car because there's additional damage that wasn't present when they did the estimate and took photos for insurance.

Incidentally, the day of the initial incident was the same day I scraped my car on a pillar like a moron. This has not been a good week for cars in my family.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, fuckhead on a motorcycle, when you're in the right turn lane and the car in front of you is stopped due to pedestrians on the crossing, this is not your clue to pass him on the inside and gun it into the zebra crossing five feet from me. I hope you paste yourself across a hundred feet of coarse asphalt.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I really hate drivers that race up to a t-junction and then last second jump on the brakes AND THEN LOOK FOR TRAFFIC. Slow down earlier, roll up and you have so much more time to look and see what's coming. You'll also save on brake pads and whiplash treatment.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

a bicyclist being a fuckhead, I guess.

Here in opposite land, this morning I had a woman swapping lanes nearly merge into me on my bicycle. She had her mirrors folded.

It's depressingly common, we have a lot of parking on narrow roads and it's usually a good idea to fold them at night to avoid an errant bin lorry removing them. I've pulled up alongside folks and pointed to the mirrors and made a fold-em-out motion with my hands and had people scream abuse at me. One of them was in snow and I was on my motorbike. Sorry lady, I just don't want you to kill me because you can't see me...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Someone who doesn't fold out their mirrors is someone who wouldn't look at them if they were folded out. I constantly look at all of my mirrors and would notice them being folded in before even leaving my parking spot. If I did not have my mirrors available to me it would feel "off". How do they do it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spotted last night: a guy so impatient he had to tailgate me on a one lane bridge even though there was traffic in front of me, and then proceeded to do so even though I was going 10 over /in the right lane/.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

iospace posted:

Spotted last night: a guy so impatient he had to tailgate me on a one lane bridge even though there was traffic in front of me, and then proceeded to do so even though I was going 10 over /in the right lane/.

Tailgating in heavy traffic is baffling to me. My sister once had somebody keep honking their horn at her because she wasn't right up the rear end of the car in front of her in stop and go traffic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gonna be hard to talk your way out of this one:

https://gfycat.com/AnchoredDeficientAardwolf

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

xzzy posted:

Gonna be hard to talk your way out of this one:

https://gfycat.com/AnchoredDeficientAardwolf

Well considering the cop was found to be at fault and the driver did nothing wrong, it was actually pretty easy to talk his way out of it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well considering the cop was found to be at fault and the driver did nothing wrong, it was actually pretty easy to talk his way out of it.
What am I missing from this post? I don't get it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Article here. It happened in Poland last week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is it a law thing in Poland then? Because my "common sense" hot take is that the person making a multi-car pass and slamming into someone making what appears to be a legal left turn puts all the blame on the camera car.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Cop did have his hazards on before making the turn, though if you have the turn signal on at that point no one can tell. Pretty surprised at that outcome either way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm trying to find more info on it but my take is that the cop should have checked if someone was overtaking on the left lane prior to attempting the turn.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I'm living in Warsaw at the moment and that poo poo most definitely wasn't a legal overtaking maneuver. The law here states that you can only begin an overtake if it doesn't interfere or endanger other drivers - it even specifically mentions people ahead of you signalling an intent to turn. The cop getting found at fault is either some shady poo poo going on or an outright lie - while both are possible, I'm going to go with lie - WP is a daily mail-tier "news" website, their political site is such a blatant propaganda machine for the current neo-fascist government that it would be comical if it wasn't so tragic

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Cage posted:

Cop did have his hazards on before making the turn, though if you have the turn signal on at that point no one can tell. Pretty surprised at that outcome either way.

Most of the world have their turn indicators colored yellow and not red like in America. So yes the rozzer was legally indicating.

But the filth should of checked their mirrors before turning just like the muppet with the camera should of not tried to overtake an indicating vehicle near a junction. Both at fault.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Or trying to overtake a train of cars instead of waiting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Amber indicators have been dominant in America for decades. You really only see red turn signals on commercial vehicles.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

xzzy posted:

Amber indicators have been dominant in America for decades. You really only see red turn signals on commercial vehicles.

I see it a lot on NA only cars still.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BigPaddy posted:

I see it a lot on NA only cars still.

As an example, compare the new Mustang's proper tail lights to the hackjob they did to them to make them ROW compliant

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

nitrogen posted:

drat kids did it again, ran in front of cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEefByQFsHY

Am I being an angry old man, or are these kids really stupid? (The other day's video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8QaFSjo2iU

They're stupid - not as stupid as the 2 kids I saw walking in the road, side by side, with a stroller the other day who didn't get on the drat sidewalk until 2 cars had to slow and honk at them, but still stupid.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm trying to find more info on it but my take is that the cop should have checked if someone was overtaking on the left lane prior to attempting the turn.

Yeah, no, I have never ever checked my left blind spot while legally turning left on a 2 lane road. Cars just shouldn't be coming from that direction. Also, it's another reason why multi-car passing is stupid.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Yea so of course this was on reddit, and some person said that the news org who claimed that the cop was at fault is a tabloid outlet similar to the U.K. Publication The Daily Mail.

I really can't conceive of traffic laws that both make sense and put the cop at fault, so gently caress that narrative.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The notion of a cop being found at fault for ANYTHING is so alien to me it's hard to process. I guess they don't jack it to ARE OFFICERS over there like they do in the US?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Had an idiot ride my arse as I went over the flyover on a stacked intersection today. When the road straightened out he was weaving about to see if he could run up the inside of me. Everything came to a screeching halt at the bottom of the ramp though because there was a truck broken down sitting in the lane.
Also saw my first stance nation idiot in the wild. Australia doesn't normally have many of them but this bloke had an mx5 that was sitting far too close to the ground

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
With regard to the multi-passing-then-tee-boning-a-cop thing:

At least in my jurisdiction, the cop would have 2/3rds fault and the cam guy 1/3rd fault. I was in an identical accident (much lower speed though) where I had the "cop" role, so I looked it up.

The argument is this:

When driving on the right hand side of the road, a left turn is the "most oddball" thing you can do, and therefore has the highest "yield rating" i.e. you're on the lowest rung and need to yield to everyone else. This includes a left turn on a highway. If this wasn't the case, you could simply turn left into anyone passing you and claim that he passed you while you were clearly turning left. There might be other factors such as speed and visibility, but those are the facts.

In practice, don't pass a handful of cars at 150% of their speed. There's probably a reason they're doing what they're doing. Also, don't turn left without looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Javid posted:

The notion of a cop being found at fault for ANYTHING is so alien to me it's hard to process. I guess they don't jack it to ARE OFFICERS over there like they do in the US?

It happens all the time. There are police monitors that publish suspensions for officers, a very large chunk of those are officer at fault accidents.

And negligent discharges.