Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The sequel was successfully crowdfunded and is currently in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I'm glad to hear about a sequel! Coach certainly is one of my favorites so far, he just loves to take the wind out of your sails during Basic Braining. The writing in this game is absolutely top-notch, which more than makes up for the combat being kind of barebones.

I just found the message board in camp, and it really has just so many little details about how each of the campers interact with one another. These kids are so passive aggressive with their messages, it's great.

Edit: also I stood there and listened to Vernon tell me about his walk with his dog (Lady) for five minutes, no regrets

QuietLion has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Apr 4, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

scarycave posted:

a dead Raz cameo in Madness Returns

I think that's just some good old 90's era mascot slapfighting. Which I would love to see more of.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Somfin posted:

I think that's just some good old 90's era mascot slapfighting. Which I would love to see more of.

I used to love this kind of poo poo. One of the earlier Mega Man Battle Network GBA games had a Pikachu rug in one room and I always thought it was funny.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

scarycave posted:

shame the only thing that's really come after it is a dead Raz cameo in Madness Returns but I think they're planning a sequel?

A month or so ago they released a PSVR tie-in game.

Psychonauts is one of the best written games, there are so many little running jokes and characterizations and side stories to find around the camp. The giant hairless bear kid, the long boring stories kid, the ladies man, the weird kid and the squirrels, the bullies, the cliquey girls, the band...

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
My (new) favorite little thing in Psychonauts is now the entire level of Lungfishopolis. That boss fight with Kochamera was just a cherry on top of a fantastic level. Overly Intricate Combo cracked me up, Coach is the best character even as a villain. :allears:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Psychonauts is so fantastically good that over a decade later both Double Fine's existence and Tim Schafer's career is still built almost entirely out of the goodwill it earned even though nothing they've made since has approached that level of quality.

Somfin posted:

The game also has some platforms that look like Portal cubes, I think it was just some good-natured easter eggs.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Ariong posted:

The sequel was successfully crowdfunded and is currently in development.

Normally I'd be excited,but considering DoubleFine's recent track record...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Guy Mann posted:

Psychonauts is so fantastically good that over a decade later both Double Fine's existence and Tim Schafer's career is still built almost entirely out of the goodwill it earned even though nothing they've made since has approached that level of quality.

I'm surprised they can muster any goodwill at all after making the Meat Circus.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Somfin posted:

Huh huh, that's one doomed space marine :dukedog:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm surprised they can muster any goodwill at all after making the Meat Circus.

I liked the Meat Circus. It was hard, but it didn't feel TOO hard.

i am a freak

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Slime posted:

i am a freak

I liked it too. It was a hell of a lot better than the Napoleon level or Velvetopia.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I liked it too. It was a hell of a lot better than the Napoleon level or Velvetopia.

Yeah. Like I said it was hard, but at least I knew where I was meant to go rather than wandering around without a clue like some parts of the game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

The Napoleon level is actually my favorite. But Meat Circus had some cool moments and the whole hosed up meat theme was fun. Too bad about the boss.

VolticSurge posted:

Normally I'd be excited,but considering DoubleFine's recent track record...

Yeah I don't have high hopes for it. Or anything they make anymore. :smith:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
One of the best little things in Psychonauts was going around after you got clairvoyance to see what everybody in the game sees you as.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

One of the best little things in Psychonauts was going around after you got clairvoyance to see what everybody in the game sees you as.

Same, except Mr. Pokeylope.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
When it was released, Psychonauts had a little fake social media website for its campers, which is still up. http://www.doublefine.com/campster/

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Olaf The Stout posted:

When it was released, Psychonauts had a little fake social media website for its campers, which is still up. http://www.doublefine.com/campster/

I forgot about this. If you haven't checked everyone's pictures, they are all pro clicks.

Mikhail has a picture of Zangief on there :allears:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

I forgot about this. If you haven't checked everyone's pictures, they are all pro clicks.

Dogen has the head exploding gif from scanners :laugh:.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

holy poo poo dogen's profile.

And also eveyone's profile.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Slime posted:

i am a freak

There was a spot I could never get past and it's why I never finished Psychonauts even though I meticulously 100%ed it up to that point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll remain tentatively interested in Psychonauts 2 but I'll probable wait for word of mouth on whether it's actually a good game before actually buying it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Midnight Voyager posted:

There was a spot I could never get past and it's why I never finished Psychonauts even though I meticulously 100%ed it up to that point.

I think it was patched to be at least a little easier at some point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kanfy posted:

I think it was patched to be at least a little easier at some point.

How do you patch a PS2 game?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Nuebot posted:

It came out on steam?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Nuebot posted:

Seems like that change was made in the 2011 Steam version, so I guess whether or not you have (thematically fitting) traumatic memories of the Meat Circus depends on which version you played.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

So much effort went into characterising the campers and I wish they'd had a bigger role.

Twisted, Gothic asylums full of tortured monsters are a big vidoegame cliche, but I liked that Psychonauts switched things up by having the inhabitants be well defined characters with their own back stories and symptoms of real mental health problems like the biploar actress and paranoid schizophrenic guard.
The Milkman Conspiracy was great - every line from the agents was gold.

Is the tower with the skewed dome referencing something? There's one in the Nightmare before Christmas and I think I've seen it elsewhere as well (maybe an Elder Scrolls game). Maybe some old expressionist film?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm so happy that Erik Wolpaw left Valve so he can write something else than supplements for multiplayer games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

I'm so, so sorry fellow PS2 version survivor.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The careful, minimalist linework of Hollow Knight, which is quickly becoming one of my very fuckin' favourite games. It's pretty in screenshots but it looks so much better in motion. It feels like a hand-drawn animated film and it's fuckin' GORGEOUS.

Plus the gameplay is quick and crunchy and organic and there's lots of little tricks you can pull to get to stuff before you should be able to, which is always fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
When you go to the movies or watch a DVD in Persona 5, they don't just have a text blurb describing the program like in P4 and P3, you can hear a bit of hammy voice acting from the actual show/movie :allears:.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm so, so sorry fellow PS2 version survivor.

Hi, I'm J.A.B.C. and I survived the PS2 Meat Circus.

Yeah, the patched the two platforming sections for the 2011 release. They increased the health on the bunny for the first part and they slowed down the rate the water fills in the second part because otherwise you had to be near perfect to clear any of those sections. Especially considering how the rest of the game gave you ample chance to learn from mistakes, the meat circus was a pain and I'm glad they patched it.

Also, that sequel is coming up nicely, though the VR sections I saw TFS play look like they just smoothed out the PC port graphics rather than update the look for future consoles. And I don't want a redesign, but we could at least had some new assets.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The VR game was an entirely seperate project to the sequel.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looking at the VR game up close and personal, I think it's all-new assets. They're smoother and have a more detailed animation rig than ever before.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
While the gameplay doesn't match up with the tone at times, Watch_Dogs 2's story is so wonderfully silly I'm getting similar grins from it I did in Saints Row 4. Sure going on a murder spree completely contradicts the "dorky hackers who steal not-Knight Rider" shenanigans, but it's great.

Just a shame the hacker invasions result in people yanking their cable when I'm about to win, aaaah.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When you go to the movies or watch a DVD in Persona 5, they don't just have a text blurb describing the program like in P4 and P3, you can hear a bit of hammy voice acting from the actual show/movie :allears:.

Yeah some of those movies are...man. The Cake Knight rises, for example - you can hear hammy voice actors talking about baking for evil or some poo poo.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Yeah some of those movies are...man. The Cake Knight rises, for example - you can hear hammy voice actors talking about baking for evil or some poo poo.

Shame I'm boycotting Atlus due to their lovely business practices,or I'd almost want to go and get Persona 5 now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Persona 5 has a lot of flaws but the opening is cool as gently caress and way better than the two plus hour snoozefest that was Persona 4's intro. When the dramatic climax of your introduction is feeling mildly sick at a gas station I think you've kinda hosed something up.

VolticSurge posted:

Shame I'm boycotting Atlus due to their lovely business practices
:goonsay:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Ya'know,the whole "you're not allowed to stream this game without getting copyright strikes" thing,while Platinum doesn't give a poo poo if anyone streams Nier. Unless you were agreeing with me,I'm unfamiliar with that emote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

VolticSurge posted:

Ya'know,the whole "you're not allowed to stream this game without getting copyright strikes" thing,while Platinum doesn't give a poo poo if anyone streams Nier. Unless you were agreeing with me,I'm unfamiliar with that emote.

It just seems really silly to get that worked up about as if it's on par with EA or Ubisoft abuse of it's employees or something.