Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

hot take: Pappy isn't that good

Says someone who hasn't had the Twisted Spoke-labelled single barrel 16 Year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

Says someone who hasn't had the Twisted Spoke-labelled single barrel 16 Year...

I don't have $3000 that some neckbeard is asking for in order to get this.

(edited to be more accurate)

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 4, 2017

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't have $1000 that some neckbeard is asking for in order to get this.

I actually didn't think bottles ever hit distro but apparently did in very limited spaces.

Considering what it is, when it was released... poo poo, I have no idea what the very loving top end of bourbon goes for anymore but that would go near there. Are we at 5 figures yet?

For what it's worth, I got a sip of a $40 pour at the Spoke in 2013 and it's still the best thing I've ever tasted.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

Considering what it is, when it was released... poo poo, I have no idea what the very loving top end of bourbon goes for anymore but that would go near there. Are we at 5 figures yet?

uhhhh according to a quick search, roughly about $3000

https://www.google.com/#q=pappy+van+winkle+16+year&*

But I have no idea about the really high end poo poo as even the most goofily ostentatious sales I know about in the beer world are around that level

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Don't you judge me my summer at fat camp. I know it's a stupid statement when you read it directly like that. However, you can tell that the way the beer tasted wasn't intended and had fallen off. Much like your mom. :boom:

Jk I really love your mom.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
An A.H. Hirsch Blue Wax reserve recently went for 7.5k at auction, so beer isn't quite as absurd yet.

Still stupid

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

cryme posted:

An A.H. Hirsch Blue Wax reserve recently went for 7.5k at auction, so beer isn't quite as absurd yet.

Still stupid

I think I read about a Cantillon one-off release that went for north of $3k/btl recently - it was only sold at an Italian beer/wine bar, or something equally absurd. As long as there are people with more money than they know what to spend it on, it will happen.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

sterster posted:

Don't you judge me my summer at fat camp. I know it's a stupid statement when you read it directly like that. However, you can tell that the way the beer tasted wasn't intended and had fallen off. Much like your mom. :boom:

Jk I really love your mom.

She's not that great, me being the example of that

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I think a coupla old Cantillon bottles went for four figures at the last Brews for New Avenues, but at least that's for charity and you can write it off on your taxes...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've come to the conclusion that there are simply too many breweries out there. It would be literally impossible to try them all. I trying to be content with my local breweries and it's working pretty well.

I went to LA recently and hit up a few places. LA has a pretty good beer scene.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Most of them are bad, don't sweat it

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I drank my 2011 Abyss last year. Was that a mistake? Because it was awesome and I'm glad I found another.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Ranzear posted:

I drank my 2011 Abyss last year. Was that a mistake? Because it was awesome and I'm glad I found another.

no, that beer is pretty dope with a few years on it

obi_ant posted:

I've come to the conclusion that there are simply too many breweries out there. It would be literally impossible to try them all. I trying to be content with my local breweries and it's working pretty well.

also not a mistake.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

obi_ant posted:

I went to LA recently and hit up a few places. LA has a pretty good beer scene.

So many Texas breweries opened after 2015 and can count the ones I've tried and liked on one hand. I can't be bothered and considering I hardly go to beer festivals anymore, that means I need a really strong vouch before I'll even think about going out of my way to try.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

my summer at fat camp posted:

Most of them are bad, don't sweat it

Same case with restaurants :)

But yeah, RE: too many breweries — went to a lot of forgettable places in Denver. A lot. But if they're giving people jobs and people in their neighborhoods a place to hang out, great.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Got a bottle of this year's Parabola for $10.49. Seems high for 12oz. It's a good rear end beer though. I recommend picking it up. Very tasty.

Also just opened up my last bottle of Shambolic from my November Tired Hands trip. Given the dry-hopping I couldn't bear to let this bottle age more than six months. poo poo is remarkably juicy despite its age. Shambolic is super underrated, y'all should flex your PA connects and score some when possible.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Within 24 hours of landing on American soil for the first time in a year, I visited Hill Farmstead again, bought growlers of Double Nelson and SS5, tons of bottles, and of course talked to our old goon buddy about decoction mashing. Well, we didn't talk about decoction mashing but Ryan is doing well and moving on from HF soon because they're tired of the weather. I missed America.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Spuckuk posted:

Oh, we have this in the countryside in the UK, designated drivers are still a thing. I get the feeling most of our cities have better public infrastructure. Hell, I go drinking in different cities and just hop on the train back home with no problems.

In actual beer news, Cloudwater DIPA v13 is out today, and I'm going to be hugely hungover from these pretty tapes tomorrow.

The Hazy NE IPA thing has just exploded over here in the last 6 months or so, and releases are getting better and better by the month, crazy how fast the improvements have been.

I'm not entirely over the New England IPA thing yet but I am over this style of label artwork. Never looked good and everyone's doing it

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It's probably easier to crank out that sort of artwork when you're putting out a new brand every week than pay someone to create something unique i guess

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Well, we didn't talk about decoction mashing but Ryan is doing well and moving on from HF soon because they're tired of the weather. I missed America.

is he going back to NC to turn Duck Rabbit into a southeastern powerhouse?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

Holy poo poo...Duck Rabbit. That's some 2010 trade poo poo right there.

poop dood posted:

Got a bottle of this year's Parabola for $10.49. Seems high for 12oz. It's a good rear end beer though. I recommend picking it up. Very tasty.

That's a $19.50 bomber, which is around where it had been priced for the last few years by me.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

~*beer thread untappd review interlude*~

Worst beer I've ever tasted. 2.5 stars.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
untappd.jpg

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

~*beer thread untappd review interlude*~

Worst beer I've ever tasted. 2.5 stars.

Maybe this person has only had really good beers prior to this?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

danbanana posted:

That's a $19.50 bomber, which is around where it had been priced for the last few years by me.

I've never paid more than $14.50 for a bomber here.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
check your FW privilege

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I'm not entirely over the New England IPA thing yet but I am over this style of label artwork. Never looked good and everyone's doing it

See, I prefer this to 99% of the labels I see, though yes, they put out very different labels for their releases, they don't have a core range at all.

For an example of that done badly (though the beer is great)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

See, I prefer this to 99% of the labels I see, though yes, they put out very different labels for their releases, they don't have a core range at all.

I'm going to murder everyone who makes beer

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

funkybottoms posted:

the first part yes, not sure of the second

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Spuckuk posted:

this looks like orange juice.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Control Volume posted:

I'm going to murder everyone who makes beer

There we go, better?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spuckuk posted:

There we go, better?

Oh man, "Championship Beers" is something that needs to replace "Artisan Ales" and poo poo like that in the U.S.

dphi posted:

I've never paid more than $14.50 for a bomber here.

I haven't SEEN a bomber in the Chicago area since maybe 2014. But I know Binny's has priced it closer to $18 for a while now.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I think FW bombers were something like $16 around here, which makes $10.49 for 12oz pretty unfair.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

poop dood posted:

I think FW bombers were something like $16 around here, which makes $10.49 for 12oz pretty unfair.

FW has definitely raised their base prices since even Trader Joe's isn't selling them for that much less of a discount.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
i've never seen one for less than 18. it's almost like there are regional differences in pricing

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've never even seen one.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

cryme posted:

i've never seen one for less than 18. it's almost like there are regional differences in pricing

Also shocking in these revelations: prices of things increase!

What hasn't been noted here is that apparently this year's Parabola was made at Boulevard...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

There we go, better?

I'm going to murder them brutally now.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Spuckuk posted:

That thing looks like they slapped some text over a stock powerpoint title slide background and kept the default font

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

cryme posted:

True, but Bravo was $10.50 (which sounds like the typical price around the country) here where Parabola increased from only $13.99 to $14.49 in the last year or two. I think places just don't gouge as much here and the price per ounce on those beers got worse with the move to smaller bottles. I used to stock up on Parabola and still have a bunch going back to '12 - I'll probably still grab 3 or 4 bottles in the new format.