Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

well why not posted:

pretty much every recent mbp will play csgo

My old 2014 MBP plays it fine on a 2560x1600 external. 750m graphics for reference. You'll probably have to turn down some of the graphical finery and not play at system resolution, but CS:GO is hardly Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I already turn all graphics to minimum on my tower because :pcgaming: so I don't care about that

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Just get a PS4 Pro. Most PC games that I want to play on a computer work fine on Mac like Civ and Tides of Numenera. If you travel a lot, ask Santa for a Switch.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Dude specifically asked about playing cs:go while traveling but that's a pretty spot on non-answer to his question there.

rally fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 4, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can play CS Go on my desktop from like 8 years ago. It runs on anything.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

it's like a 13 year old engine, it runs at 100fps on a potato, 400fps on a well-tuned potato

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

But... the MacBook Air???

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It runs fine. The MBA's fans will run like a jet engine though. Even small indie games do that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I tried running CsGo on my MBP 2012 and it wasn't playable.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

RIP Mac Mini

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lower the resolution to 720p. Also the HD6000 in the recent MBA is more powerful.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

rally posted:

Dude specifically asked about playing cs:go while traveling but that's a pretty spot on non-answer to his question there.
Dude needs to ask better questions brah

Should be playing CS 1.6 anyways

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Grim reaper should be coming for the air soon, no?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Boiled Water posted:

I thought it was mainly about Apple hating Nvidias proprietary drivers.

Apple doesn't hate nVidia, they were using their GPUs as recently as their Late 2013 iMacs and mid-2014 rMBPs.

It's far more likely that for some reason or other, nVidia either stopped giving Apple steep discounts on GPUs, or Apple didn't like prices nVidia gave them for anything past the GeForce 780Ms.

Nut Bunnies posted:

..The fact they have what are effectively iMac Pros coming out and the fact they announced it like this makes me believe:

- The plan until recently was to kill the Mac Pro and just make an iMac Pro

:agreed: although I bet they were getting hell from all the effects houses and production firms that had to settle for trash cans or throw their Mac-based workflow out the window

quote:

- Apple was serious when they said they were out of the external display business when the LG 4K and 5K displays came out.

Gonna have to disagree, they never have issued an official press release that explicitly states this, they just let a second hand quote about Apple and displays stand without refuting it. Just like they haven't officially shitcanned the Airport Extreme Base Station / Time Capsule, they still sell 'em and probably will keep doing so until the industry thinks 802.11ac needs to be put out to pasture (IMHO it's at its height at the moment)

quote:

- They flipped on both after the frustrated response to the Touch Bar Pros from professional users took them wildly off guard and the LG displays blew up in their face due to standard non-Apple subpar QC

I think they got far more blowback than they cared to get from the LG debacle, because it was a significant core of users that wanted ever bigger screens, arguably the amount of users bitching about Touch Bars probably wasn't as resounding or impactful.

quote:

- It's going to take a year because they just started working on it

Yeah, the fact that they held the meeting with the industry pundits and Gruber (heh) in the middle of their top secret prototyping fabrication facility did show they meant business. They've never done this before, but to be honest they needed to show they were totally serious about bringing the Pro back or they'd see a lot of that pro segment stop giving them business. You can argue all you want that they just print money with iPhones, but it feels to me that they've only recently come to their senses and realized they're pissing off a significant source of revenue/prestige and were in danger of losing that chunk or revenue/prestige altogether.

quote:

I do not foresee a smaller, newer cheese grater. I think we'll see some of the cheese grater philosophy and the trash can philosophy. I would not be surprised to see custom GPUs, "get what you get" storage, but I also expect to see PCI-E slots.

We're definitely never going to see anything near the trash can form factor ever again, because if they truly are listening to the pros, they know how much everyone hated the poo poo out of it for essentially being a closed off hunk of poo poo. We aren't ever going to see cheese graters again either, cause Apple hates to revisit itself (except in the case of the iPhone SE) so it's gonna be real interesting to see what they can come up with. I've still got a couple of Early 2008 MP's and Early 2009s flashed to 2010/2012s purring along while running Sierra, so if they make anything just as resilient, it'll make a lot of Mac folks happy..

Comedy option: People will now begin to collect trash can Pros like they collect G4 cubes..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 4, 2017

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

The answer about the Mini really was the "our coach currently has the full support of ownership" kind of answer, wasn't it?

I hope it sticks around but maybe a non-Xeon Mac Pro base model makes more sense for them vs. two different platforms.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

So apparently "we're shipping it today" said last week was in relation to the USB-C adapter I ordered at the same time and NOT my goddamn laptop. APPLE!!!!! :argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can't wait for the community designed "renders" of the new Mac Pro to hit Twitter

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I really don't see a "upgradable" Mac Pro.

It just didn't - fit - a company such as Apple and given the ROI of upgrades in TYOOL 2017 there isn't a strong of need development of such a platform.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Binary Badger posted:

Just like they haven't officially shitcanned the Airport Extreme Base Station / Time Capsule, they still sell 'em and probably will keep doing so until the industry thinks 802.11ac needs to be put out to pasture (IMHO it's at its height at the moment)

Man really? I love my Time Capsule, and it's some ancient one that I'm pretty sure only does 802.11n. It's been way more stable than anything I've ever owned from Netgear/Linksys/various Cable and DSL providers, and on top of that it Just Works with Time Machine. What's the next tech on the horizon after 802.11ac? Why not just keep shoving larger hard drives in these things? I'd buy a ginormous Time Capsule for the customary inflated price.

Is there a goon recommended 3rd party NAS that works in the same set it and forget it way with Time Machine? Please don't say iCloud, I work for a cloud software company and that's only strengthened my resolve to do things locally.

Even my cat loves the warm, flat topped Time Capsule for laying on and soaking up WiFi rays

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Man really? I love my Time Capsule, and it's some ancient one that I'm pretty sure only does 802.11n. It's been way more stable than anything I've ever owned from Netgear/Linksys/various Cable and DSL providers, and on top of that it Just Works with Time Machine. What's the next tech on the horizon after 802.11ac? Why not just keep shoving larger hard drives in these things? I'd buy a ginormous Time Capsule for the customary inflated price.

Is there a goon recommended 3rd party NAS that works in the same set it and forget it way with Time Machine? Please don't say iCloud, I work for a cloud software company and that's only strengthened my resolve to do things locally.

I've been using the WD MyCloud 2 for a couple years and it works great for Time Machine. It also has a native Plex build you put on there.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The answer about the Mini really was the "our coach currently has the full support of ownership" kind of answer, wasn't it?

On the other hand, not saying or doing much about its future was the official Apple position on the Mac Pro from 2014 till today, which caused endless tiresome :rip: Mac Pro meme posting ITT. Perhaps, when a notoriously tight lipped company chooses not to reveal everything, that is not code for certain death!

(They didn't even say much concrete about the future MP, which I think was a mistake, but Apple gotta Apple even when breaking the usual omertà.)

quote:

I hope it sticks around but maybe a non-Xeon Mac Pro base model makes more sense for them vs. two different platforms.

Not sure that makes sense, they need to have a low cost basic desktop that is also physically small. (Or at least I think they do, presumably their marketing department tries to put numbers on stuff like this.) The majority of people buying a Mini today probably aren't looking for a tower of some kind.

IMO they ought to be re-minifying the Mini. The current footprint is too big because it was designed way back in 2011 based on having an internal DVD drive, which they ditched only a year later. It's been begging for a real mechanical redesign ever since. Think Intel NUC, but with Apple design values.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They should make the mini bigger and put actual fast processors and graphics in it, but they won't.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BobHoward posted:

On the other hand, not saying or doing much about its future was the official Apple position on the Mac Pro from 2014 till today, which caused endless tiresome :rip: Mac Pro meme posting ITT. Perhaps, when a notoriously tight lipped company chooses not to reveal everything, that is not code for certain death!

(They didn't even say much concrete about the future MP, which I think was a mistake, but Apple gotta Apple even when breaking the usual omertà.)

Not sure that makes sense, they need to have a low cost basic desktop that is also physically small. (Or at least I think they do, presumably their marketing department tries to put numbers on stuff like this.) The majority of people buying a Mini today probably aren't looking for a tower of some kind.

IMO they ought to be re-minifying the Mini. The current footprint is too big because it was designed way back in 2011 based on having an internal DVD drive, which they ditched only a year later. It's been begging for a real mechanical redesign ever since. Think Intel NUC, but with Apple design values.

Some something along the AppleTV 4 size, but with better guts.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Apple doesn't hate nVidia, they were using their GPUs as recently as their Late 2013 iMacs and mid-2014 rMBPs.

It's far more likely that for some reason or other, nVidia either stopped giving Apple steep discounts on GPUs, or Apple didn't like prices nVidia gave them for anything past the GeForce 780Ms.
They're not going to work together again.
This stems back to the recalls on the melting GPUs.
nVidia blamed the MBP for not cooling enough, Apple blamed nVidia for bad solder.
Both were right.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Khablam posted:

nVidia blamed the MBP for not cooling enough, Apple blamed nVidia for bad solder.
Both were right.

Who are the execs at both companies that would have to be gone to allow the two to work together again?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Bob Morales posted:

Who are the execs at both companies that would have to be gone to allow the two to work together again?

Dan Riccio from Apple.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any recommendations for a Bluetooth mouse for a MacBook? I can neither confirm or deny I'll try and play cs:go on it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Logitech's MX Master is great in part because you can use Bluetooth and still charge over USB as needed. Works great with Mac and PC - even has a quick device switch function if you have both.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Khablam posted:

Both were right.

Probably never for mobile parts, I still think they could provide GPU boards for PCIe slotted hardware.

Also, the problem mobile GPUs were in the 2010/2011 MBPs, Apple continued to offer nVidia GPUs right up to and including the Early 2014 rMBP models.

IMHO they stopped because nVidia decided it wasn't going to give Apple discounts any more.

nVidia still continues to update their Mac web drivers for all cards up to the 980 for every revision of El Capitan and Sierra. I don't think they would keep doing that unless they know it'll eventually pay off for them..

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Khablam posted:

Both were right.

Bob Morales posted:

Yeast posted:

Dan Riccio from Apple.

Binary Badger posted:

IMHO they stopped because nVidia decided it wasn't going to give Apple discounts any more.

How do we know literally any of these assertions of cause and effect are true, and why would we think things like "Dan Riccio has a lifetime vendetta against nvidia", and why would his boss Tim put up with that petty BS

I mean it's cool to speculate but man I remember so many iterations of OH SHIIIIT APPLE IS DONEZO WITH SUPPLIER X, and then X gets a design win in an Apple product again. Notably including that time ATI supposedly pissed off Steve Jobs forever by spoiling his keynote speech reveal.

A more concrete Apple-is-done-with-someone revelation from the past few days: Apple has officially informed Imagination Technologies of its intent to switch to in house GPU designs within 2 years. From other sources, apparently Apple has been poaching ImgTec engineers for some time.

It's hard to imagine that Apple would not be super careful about the IP issues here, but the saber rattling in ImgTec's press release might be a ploy to get Apple to buy out ImgTec to make a costly lawsuit go away. It isn't clear that ImgTec can survive without Apple as a customer, so what can they do but sue and hope it gets them some leverage?

Getting back to Macs, it isn't a slam dunk that Apple would want to design custom GPUs for them just yet. They don't have enough Mac sales volume for this to make a lot of sense.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I still want a Mini. Should I continue to play the waiting game? :saddowns:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No, they have had only incremental upgrades at the cost of reduced serviceability for going on 6 years now. Watch this page for a 256gb flash storage model and grab it up.
http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_mini

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Someone at work is selling their mid-2015 15" Macbook Pro Retina. It has 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD, and the Radeon graphics chip, for $1600. Is this a good deal? Considering buying it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When those were last on the refurb store they were over $2k, so yes.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Someone at work is selling their mid-2015 15" Macbook Pro Retina. It has 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD, and the Radeon graphics chip, for $1600. Is this a good deal? Considering buying it.

It's a great deal compared to eBay, I was following prices for the last couple of weeks until I settled on a 2014 model.

EDIT: I know people have said this before, but coming from a 2009 17" MBP, the retina screen looks absolutely amazing.

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 5, 2017

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ShadeofBlue posted:

It's a great deal compared to eBay, I was following prices for the last couple of weeks until I settled on a 2014 model.

EDIT: I know people have said this before, but coming from a 2009 17" MBP, the retina screen looks absolutely amazing.

How's the pricing on the 2014 Mbp models? Any real upgrades with the 15? I'm thinking more battery life than anything. It would be a travel photoshop, text editor, and maybe some final cut work

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LionArcher posted:

How's the pricing on the 2014 Mbp models? Any real upgrades with the 15? I'm thinking more battery life than anything. It would be a travel photoshop, text editor, and maybe some final cut work

http://www.ebay.com

Search for MacBook Pro 2014

Refine your search for sold items.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LionArcher posted:

All the classic MBP prices went up like $200 after the 2016's came out. You can hardly get a 8GB 2013 15" for < $900 now

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

eightysixed posted:

I still want a Mini. Should I continue to play the waiting game? :saddowns:

The internals of the Mini are basically a NUC and they're stuck on Broadwell right now. While the 15W -U processors are seeing noticeable gains from one generation to the next, a brand new one wouldn't be that much faster - perhaps 25-30% to move up to Kaby Lake. Full hardware HEVC/H.265 decoding, HDMI 2.0, and a doubling in maximum memory capacity due to going to DDR4 would be the other big likely benefits of a new model. If you don't care a lot about any of those there's not much reason to wait, especially since there's no specific reason to believe the Mini will be updated soon/ever.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

The internals of the Mini are basically a NUC and they're stuck on Broadwell right now. While the 15W -U processors are seeing noticeable gains from one generation to the next, a brand new one wouldn't be that much faster - perhaps 25-30% to move up to Kaby Lake. Full hardware HEVC/H.265 decoding, HDMI 2.0, and a doubling in maximum memory capacity due to going to DDR4 would be the other big likely benefits of a new model. If you don't care a lot about any of those there's not much reason to wait, especially since there's no specific reason to believe the Mini will be updated soon/ever.

There's not even enough reason to assume Apple would even bother upgrading the CPU, look at the current Mac Pro.. all they did was stop selling the low end and start selling the mid-to-high end builds at the low end prices. Also, can't let the Mini get more powerful than an equivalent iMac or they break the quadrangle or whatever. The mid-2011 Mac Mini Server with its quad core CPU, an apparent abberation of Apple's limiting philosophy towards the Mini, is still sought after.

Some of us still remember how for three long years the standard MacBook was a Core 2 Duo and a lovely Intel GMA 950/X3100, with some of the earlier models being so anemic GPU wise that you had to scale the monitor down to 800 X 600 to play Netflix smoothly.