Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got a lot of work into Grafana dashboards to monitor my servers. It's a pain in the rear end.

I've often though it'd be really nice to have something with the ease of installation/configuration of these command line tools we're talking about with the accessibility and insight of something like Grafana+all-the-other-needed-crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ewe2 posted:

iotop is my new flame. 90% of my resource issues are I/O bottlenecks

I used iotop for a while, but atop does everything it does and more, including monitoring network as well as disk IO.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I've got a lot of work into Grafana dashboards to monitor my servers. It's a pain in the rear end.

I've often though it'd be really nice to have something with the ease of installation/configuration of these command line tools we're talking about with the accessibility and insight of something like Grafana+all-the-other-needed-crap.

What issues have you had?
We recently set up grafana+influx+telegraf and think it's great, as soon as a new VM is provisioned puppet installs telegraf and we start getting stats immediately.
The templating is rad, no need to generate a dash for each server.

Coming from using Cacti it feels like I've come out of the stone age

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

theperminator posted:

What issues have you had?
We recently set up grafana+influx+telegraf and think it's great, as soon as a new VM is provisioned puppet installs telegraf and we start getting stats immediately.
The templating is rad, no need to generate a dash for each server.

Coming from using Cacti it feels like I've come out of the stone age

Oh its way better than Cacti.

I haven't had any issues, per se, it's just a lot of fiddling to add all the metrics you'd want to mirror the info you'd get out of something like atop for example.

It'd be nice to have some tool you could go apt-get install sometool and then visit http://localhost:32452 or whatever and have instantaneous and historical info.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Oh, I came into this thread to ask something else.

I'm installing an app served by nginx and the install instructions recommend creating a user for the app and disabling "outside login". What do they mean by that? I would assume they mean SSH, but don't you have to go out of your way to enable SSH rather than having to go in and disable it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Usually it means setting the account's shell to /sbin/nologin so that no one can get a shell as that user.

The "outside login" is less common, I'm guessing it's implying that local access (ie, su) is acceptable but coming in through ssh is not. In that case you would use sshd's weird as poo poo "Match" option to build a list of usernames that you forbid authentication to.

I wouldn't bother and would just lock the account completely.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No. If you just want an Xfce desktop by default, install Xubuntu. It's fine.
I ended up giving Gnome3 a chance. I don't know how it's supposed to be better or why it's different but it is sort of growing on me. It does make it easier to remap caps to control though for sure.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

I used iotop for a while, but atop does everything it does and more, including monitoring network as well as disk IO.

That looks cool but wants a kernel patch that Debian is not interested in including.

Speaking of http, I have a setup where requests are by default passed onto a squid proxy but I have environment variables to bypass proxying for network servers. For some reason Chrome wants to redirect http://localhost/ to the proxy box and will only use the local nginx via IP. Firefox doesn't do this. Whats going on with that?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

xzzy posted:

Usually it means setting the account's shell to /sbin/nologin so that no one can get a shell as that user.

The "outside login" is less common, I'm guessing it's implying that local access (ie, su) is acceptable but coming in through ssh is not. In that case you would use sshd's weird as poo poo "Match" option to build a list of usernames that you forbid authentication to.

I wouldn't bother and would just lock the account completely.

Cool, thanks! I used usermod to change login shell to /bin/false.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
:siren: Ubuntu 18.04 to ship with GNOME, not Unity

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I suppose you could call this strategy, "IoT First, Cloud First".

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully the community takes over Unity 7 development and makes it distro agnostic. I prefer the Unity environment much more than the Gnome environment. Most of the other environment are just spins off the classic taskbar look.

How many projects has Ubuntu scrapped in the past 5 years? Ubuntu One, Mir, Unity, Ubuntu for TV, and Ubuntu Phone. Though some of those projects are sub projects of each other.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 5, 2017

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

YouTuber posted:

Hopefully the community takes over Unity 7 development and makes it distro agnostic. I prefer the Unity environment much more than the Gnome environment. Most of the other environment are just spins off the classic taskbar look.

How many projects has Ubuntu scrapped in the past 5 years? Ubuntu One, Mir, Unity, Ubuntu for TV, and Ubuntu Phone. Though some of those projects are sub projects of each other.
There was also Upstart. Who knows what'll happen with Snap?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I find that I've gotten to where I barely care about my windowing system. It can be Windows, Gnome, KDE, whatever.

I live in my browser and the couple of programs I use...what the windowing system looks like, or how it works doesn't seem to matter much.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

YouTuber posted:

Good on them for trying a lot of different things. I think most have been superseded by outside projects in the same space gaining a much wider acceptance. Is that an issue they need to address? Didn't Lenart start Systemd because Canonical made it too hard for people outside the organisation to contribute in a meaningful way?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I find that I've gotten to where I barely care about my windowing system. It can be Windows, Gnome, KDE, whatever.

I live in my browser and the couple of programs I use...what the windowing system looks like, or how it works doesn't seem to matter much.

I thought this until I got used to using a tiling window manager (xmonad) and now everything else seems cumbersome and unpleasant.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Varkk posted:

Didn't Lenart start Systemd because Canonical made it too hard for people outside the organisation to contribute in a meaningful way?

People didn't like Canonical's CLA.

And they have a reputation for doing NIH, then dropping their special snowflake project. See also: Upstart.

Odette fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 5, 2017

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

How is gnome desktop / gnome shell lately anyways? I've been on cinnamon basically since unity came out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

peepsalot posted:

How is gnome desktop / gnome shell lately anyways? I've been on cinnamon basically since unity came out.

It's alright. It seems like it would work great on touchscreens, but it also segfaults instantly if you actually touch the screen on such a device, so I can't say for sure.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Odette posted:

And they have a reputation for doing NIH, then dropping their special snowflake project. See also: Upstart.

Upstart predates Systemd. And then Systemd 'won'. Isn't that the most reasonable and desired outcome and the opposite of NIH?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Varkk posted:

Good on them for trying a lot of different things. I think most have been superseded by outside projects in the same space gaining a much wider acceptance. Is that an issue they need to address? Didn't Lenart start Systemd because Canonical made it too hard for people outside the organisation to contribute in a meaningful way?

The copyright attribution clause is annoying as all hell and turned a lot of people off. It was/is also a problem with Openstack contributions.

After the mess that was/is Landscape, trusting Canonical to say 'we know we can relicense your code as closed source and sell it, but we promise we won't" wasn't appealing.

The real problem with all of this is that they don't have nearly the amount of engineers needed to work on the amount of projects they do. Good on them for trying. But they failed to get any real community adoption, and they don't have enough developers to really drive things into a 'good enough that other people actually want to use this' state.

systemd was started because upstart had a number of core architectural issues. upstart was/is actually used in EL6, but there were so many bugs which were not possible to fix without completely rewriting the core that it eventually just made sense to start something from scratch.

ToxicFrog posted:

It's alright. It seems like it would work great on touchscreens, but it also segfaults instantly if you actually touch the screen on such a device, so I can't say for sure.
Can't reproduce. I don't give a drat about touchscreens, but I have one. Seems to work ok. Even some amount of multitouch on Wayland.

I use i3 most of the time now, but I've actually gotten used to/enjoy the hot corners in gnome-shell.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Upstart predates Systemd. And then Systemd 'won'. Isn't that the most reasonable and desired outcome and the opposite of NIH?
And, as we all know, upstart and systemd were the very first init daemons.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

This x10000. Especially now that all three major OS's have Bash, I just live in Chrome/IDE/Terminal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty much. "Environments" are a giant waste of time.

Fortunately it's easy to avoid them if you're the kind of nerd that cares about that sort of thing. Install xorg, install a window manager, and you're done.

(step two is the hard part, perusing lists of window managers for THE ONE has been an ordeal since the mid-90's and never got easier (well somewhat easier because now wikipedia has a surprisingly good list of available wm's))

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

anthonypants posted:

And, as we all know, upstart and systemd were the very first init daemons.

Yes, they could have just used openrc, and arguably should have. But 'init' wasn't cutting it for a huge variety of reasons

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

evol262 posted:

Can't reproduce. I don't give a drat about touchscreens, but I have one. Seems to work ok. Even some amount of multitouch on Wayland.

I use i3 most of the time now, but I've actually gotten used to/enjoy the hot corners in gnome-shell.

My wife favours touchscreen laptops, so we've tried a bunch of different versions on three different models over the years and it's done this on every single one. Apparently it's been reported elsewhere too.

I grabbed a stack and it looks like it's dying somewhere in Caribou but I didn't have time to dig deeper.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Sure, but it's a huge waste of resources. So much money and time went into Unity & Mir when it could have gone into GNOME & Wayland.

Canonical have a history of going against the community anyways. What else was there other than Upstart, Unity & Mir?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ToxicFrog posted:

My wife favours touchscreen laptops, so we've tried a bunch of different versions on three different models over the years and it's done this on every single one. Apparently it's been reported elsewhere too.

I grabbed a stack and it looks like it's dying somewhere in Caribou but I didn't have time to dig deeper.

I was kind of joking. But try Fedora. Or the gnome3-team PPA. Ubuntu's gnome stack is a little hacked up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

evol262 posted:

I was kind of joking. But try Fedora. Or the gnome3-team PPA. Ubuntu's gnome stack is a little hacked up.

We haven't actually tried it in Ubuntu; we observed this in OpenSUSE and NixOS. The Ubuntu bugs were just the first ones that showed up in Google, but it's not an Ubuntu-specific problem.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

We haven't actually tried it in Ubuntu; we observed this in OpenSUSE and NixOS. The Ubuntu bugs were just the first ones that showed up in Google, but it's not an Ubuntu-specific problem.

I've run Fedora 23-25 on my touchscreen XPS 13 with no issues whatsoever with the touchscreen. I have no clue what NixOS is but maybe try Fedora like evol mentioned. It works.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I just built something on my fileserver and I hit the memory so hard that it swapped everything out and went unresponsive (too many threads on make)

Is there a way to start a thread with a "watcher" that is pinned into memory (unswappable) and will spider out through all child threads and poll resource usage and then kill everything if a certain limit is exceeded? Like the global resource limits but lower, and also monitored across all child threads.

I mean, it's not hard to write that but it seems obvious enough that someone has to have done it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 6, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's the job of the oom killer.

It generally keeps the OS from going tits up. But it also doesn't, which keeps life exciting!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Paul MaudDib posted:

I just built something on my fileserver and I hit the memory so hard that it swapped everything out and went unresponsive (too many threads on make)

Is there a way to start a thread with a "watcher" that is pinned into memory (unswappable) and will spider out through all child threads and poll resource usage and then kill everything if a certain limit is exceeded? Like the global resource limits but lower, and also monitored across all child threads.

I mean, it's not hard to write that but it seems obvious enough that someone has to have done it.

Is there a reason why ulimit and/or "nice" are insufficient here?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ulimit can't handle child processes (each fork gets a new limit) and nice only throttles if something higher priority isn't waiting on CPU.

Cgroups are the modern way to do it.

Or just not run a make with -j 1024.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

xzzy posted:

Ulimit can't handle child processes (each fork gets a new limit) and nice only throttles if something higher priority isn't waiting on CPU.

Cgroups are the modern way to do it.

I'm assuming since he's talking about threads that it may not be forking... Otherwise a cgroups cpuset. Or even numactl

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

evol262 posted:

I'm assuming since he's talking about threads that it may not be forking... Otherwise a cgroups cpuset. Or even numactl

I meant process actually, so this is more what I'm looking for, thanks.

xzzy posted:

It was -j8 on a 4-core processor... but each thread ate about 10% memory so I guess that was enough to nuke everything else.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Whats the best/easiest screen record to gif program for linux?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

peepsalot posted:

Whats the best/easiest screen record to gif program for linux?

https://github.com/sconts/kazam

This one can record videos (which you should use over gifs in tyool 2017), but it hasn't been updated to work with wayland yet so if you're on fedora 25 :rip:

Sergeant Baboon
Jan 2, 2013

When I bought my current laptop, four years ago, it was a huge headache trying to install Linux alongside Windows, thanks to UEFI. I'm looking to build a desktop now, and see that the motherboard I was looking at has UEFI on it. Will I still have a problem dual-booting, or are things between UEFI and Linux better now? (Or was I just a moron four years ago and didn't know what I was doing?) I was specifically hoping to use Fedora, if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Why would EFI make it a problem?

GPT. Have a fat32 EFI system partition. Bootloaders go in /EFI/${vendor} on the partition, which is readable basically everywhere (because it's fat), and the EFI shell can arbitrarily run them, because they're EFI executables.

efivars set your boot order, and make it visible from inside the os. You can add grub to the windows loader, or vice versa. Easily.