Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Well I vindicated myself last Thursday by winning 4-3 in the shootout. Mr. Unexplainable Rage was not in attendance for the game and I think we played better for it. Got my first win after a 23 game losing streak :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
If anyone is on the fence like I was about getting any of the Maria Mountain training programs, she emailed out a coupon for 50% off. I just coughed up for the Rapid Response program so will be interesting to see how it goes. Coupon expires today I think - she emailed it to everyone on her free mailing list so it should be fine to post it here: Turkey2016

As hideously tacky as her emails and tales of "IMAGINE THE BEST SHOOTER IN YOUR COMP SMASHING HIS STICK IN FRUSTRATION BECAUSE YOU'RE JUST THAT GOOD NOW" with accompanying clipart are, she definitely knows her poo poo when it comes to biomechanics. I've seen enough benefit just from following a couple of her stretches and foam roller routines to shell out a relatively little amount of cash to get a proper program.

aejix fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 29, 2016

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
I'll second that, I've been doing her offseason stuff for 2 years now and became significantly better during that time. I play more too so that helps but my agility and (functional) leg and core strength wouldn't be nearly what it is now without her workouts.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
After playing extremely well in a morning skate I poo poo the bed in a later skate that day. I played pretty poo poo the following week and a half, after watching over some of my vids I noticed I was too active and that my right leg positioning was too under my body. I lost most of my edge after time and I think I'd keep it under me so I could almost pull myself around with my left leg, dumb poo poo to let happen. I'm now making a point to sharpen my skates more and do more edge carving when skating around in warmups, I think that subconsciously when my skates get dull I let bad habits leak into my game. If I can train my brain to trust my edges by running through those routines I'll be able to play with my normal appropriately calibrated stance/movement

Here's the last 2 skates (both I felt pretty good in) down the line I might make a self analyze video between what I consider a good vs. bad skate. This is with fairly recently retired NHL players and guys who run an elite training program here in MN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swXHIEcrlHE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqtCLN0qi8Y

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Oh poo poo. I bought used pads and gloves, and have the rest of the equipment lined up to borrow.

I'm about to either kill myself or find out how many rocket slappers to the nuts I can take.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I still can't find any sort of beginner's shinny in Toronto. I'm probably just not looking in the right places.

There's plenty of beginner /leagues/, but I can't really guarantee my time to regular play right now.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Is it normal to be noticeably worse pushing from one side than the other when you're just starting out? Like I can push right to left in a butterfly slide fairly far, but when I go left to right I go basically half as far if that. Is it possible my non dominant leg is that much weaker? Or is it some form thing like kicking a ball with your off foot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jovial Cow posted:

Is it normal to be noticeably worse pushing from one side than the other when you're just starting out? Like I can push right to left in a butterfly slide fairly far, but when I go left to right I go basically half as far if that. Is it possible my non dominant leg is that much weaker? Or is it some form thing like kicking a ball with your off foot.

Yes. While far from ideal I think it's perfectly natural to have a strong side and a side that you've got to work to improve.

I'm pretty okay on both sides now, but while my right foot push was a majestic action that made panties drop, my left foot push was inexplicably accompanied by off-key circus clown music.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug
I find i am generally stronger pushing to my right because i am left foot dominant. I imagine its similar for everyone - i try to do more reps with my right leg for every one i do with my left (when doing on-ice drills) to compensate but i still find it easier doing stuff with my left (probably some neurological/muscle memory reason for that). Depending on your upper body strength/balance, your stick can throw your balance off a bit when you're going for a push, especially in panicky scramble situations where I am guilty of flailing my stick around which makes it harder to get a good solid edge dug in for a push.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Trip report: First time on ice in full gear at a clinic.

So sore, so tired, so many angles and options. Exactly the kind of workout I expected to get. This clinic is more for players, so goalies get shots all night. I'm not used to dropping down enough to do it for the full hour, but I managed to get about 20 minutes of it and spent the rest of the time working on puck tracking and cutting angles.

I need to make some equipment tweaks (trying suspenders for pants), but I'm totally going again next week because I'm just crazy enough to to keep doing this.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Trip report: First time on ice in full gear at a clinic.

So sore, so tired, so many angles and options. Exactly the kind of workout I expected to get. This clinic is more for players, so goalies get shots all night. I'm not used to dropping down enough to do it for the full hour, but I managed to get about 20 minutes of it and spent the rest of the time working on puck tracking and cutting angles.

I need to make some equipment tweaks (trying suspenders for pants), but I'm totally going again next week because I'm just crazy enough to to keep doing this.

Sweet man, glad you had fun! There's definitely a difference between hockey shape and goalie shape.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug

YeehawMcKickass posted:

This clinic is more for players, so goalies get shots all night. I'm not used to dropping down enough to do it for the full hour, but I managed to get about 20 minutes of it and spent the rest of the time working on puck tracking and cutting angles.

Going hard at it and committing 100% to each and every shot at clinics or training sessions like this destroys me.

Or doing a session that's run hard and fast for an hour and then someone suggests wrapping up the final 5-10 minutes practicing shootout, gently caress yooouuuuuuu

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Real talk I have to take a break every 10-15 minutes during stick time if there are no other goalies. You spend a ton of energy getting set for a shot and reacting to it.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

The level of focus required for this is astounding, so far I think I like it compared to the rapid cycling on and off the bench.

One of the goalies for my summer team was there to skate out and she said I actually did fine for my first night out. So that's encouraging.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If you have an questions about the basics, hit me up via PM or post in the thread. I'm not great by any stretch of the imagination but I have a pretty good grasp of the mechanics that may help somebody starting out.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Honestly, my bigger problem right now is ice time. I'm generally free for the Monday clinics at my base rink, but my ferret shelter duties keep me from being able to make the goalie instruction clinics on sundays. (Canlan Romeoville)

The other immediate rinks either have rat/s&p at rear end o'clock at night or only while I'm at work. Or just no schedule.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
Just work on your t-pushes and angles, those are probably the biggest keys when you're starting out

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I like how I've been added to the rink's goalie contact list after one night out.

There's one of the Womens team's cross ice tournaments on Friday, I got an email asking if I wanted to tend.

As long as I don't hurt myself between now and then, I think I I'll take the ice time and punishment.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I like how I've been added to the rink's goalie contact list after one night out.

There's one of the Womens team's cross ice tournaments on Friday, I got an email asking if I wanted to tend.

As long as I don't hurt myself between now and then, I think I I'll take the ice time and punishment.

This happened to me, people found out I was willing to play goalie and was somewhat responsive to email and now I've been hit up like crazy to fill in for folks.

I have a feeling it's especially true for beginner level adult goalies.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I need to get some kind of video recorded of myself skating. I feel like I'm either playing too far above my level or I'm just not a good goalie. Like I've got a good grasp of the fundamentals but the last game I played we wound up losing 9-0. Now I know that there's a team in front of me that's gotta do their part, but there was about 4 goals that were entirely my fault and the rest were just odd deflections or breakaways.

I don't think my GAA has been below 6 over every season I've played. I've been on some patently bad teams but my confidence is getting shaken. I want to get better because I love playing goal but it sucks if I'm thought of as literally the league's worst goalie. Then again, I've only been playing in net for like 1.5 years so I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Vargatron posted:

I need to get some kind of video recorded of myself skating. I feel like I'm either playing too far above my level or I'm just not a good goalie. Like I've got a good grasp of the fundamentals but the last game I played we wound up losing 9-0. Now I know that there's a team in front of me that's gotta do their part, but there was about 4 goals that were entirely my fault and the rest were just odd deflections or breakaways.

I don't think my GAA has been below 6 over every season I've played. I've been on some patently bad teams but my confidence is getting shaken. I want to get better because I love playing goal but it sucks if I'm thought of as literally the league's worst goalie. Then again, I've only been playing in net for like 1.5 years so I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

Yeah I've been through that, it's probably a combination of playing above your level and not having a good team in front of you.

Don't beat yourself up, you'll get better.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I wouldn't worry about it. 1.5 years is still an incredibly short time to have been playing goalie, especially starting as an adult.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
A one or two goal loss can be at the hands of a goalie. Getting blown out is a team thing for sure.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

This is just so we can stop "making GBS threads up" the player thread:

I'm four clinics into this now and I finally took a shot off my mask. Wasn't a head on deal or anything, but it was from a guy a few levels above everyone else who normally shows up to these fundamentals clinics. I was down in the butterfly, shot came from below the dot, hit the chin area of the mask and careened off. It was more of a surprise than anything else because of how quick the shot got off the guy's stick.

I also got to spend a solid 10-15 minutes of the clinic in net by myself working on movement while all the skaters were doing full ice drills. Butterfly pushes appear to have some subltleties I haven't quite figured out yet, because I was over rotating most of the time. I did manage to straighten it out a bit by the end that little time frame, but I'll need more practice.

I basically started on one post, pushed out to near the top of the crease, pushed to the other top end of the crease, then back to the other post (and return trips), a box pattern.

Dropping to the Butterfly has also gotten significantly easier over these clinics. My body still isn't totally used to the impacts based on how my back feels after a half an hour, but I'm getting down with my five hole closed far more often than not.

Also, my gove side sucks, but I've asked the more advanced shooters in the clinic to focus on going that way when they can so I can work it more.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I'm four clinics into this now and I finally took a shot off my mask. Wasn't a head on deal or anything, but it was from a guy a few levels above everyone else who normally shows up to these fundamentals clinics. I was down in the butterfly, shot came from below the dot, hit the chin area of the mask and careened off. It was more of a surprise than anything else because of how quick the shot got off the guy's stick.

I also got to spend a solid 10-15 minutes of the clinic in net by myself working on movement while all the skaters were doing full ice drills. Butterfly pushes appear to have some subltleties I haven't quite figured out yet, because I was over rotating most of the time. I did manage to straighten it out a bit by the end that little time frame, but I'll need more practice.

I basically started on one post, pushed out to near the top of the crease, pushed to the other top end of the crease, then back to the other post (and return trips), a box pattern.

Dropping to the Butterfly has also gotten significantly easier over these clinics. My body still isn't totally used to the impacts based on how my back feels after a half an hour, but I'm getting down with my five hole closed far more often than not.

Also, my gove side sucks, but I've asked the more advanced shooters in the clinic to focus on going that way when they can so I can work it more.

You don't want to just drop, you want to roll forward with your knees, basically keeping your feet in place rather than throwing them backwards.

Also, keep your glove a bit forward of your body and WATCH THE PUCK ALL THE WAY. Can't stress that last part enough.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Your back shouldn't bother you from butterflying, make sure your stance isn't causing your torso to drop too much when you do. Another thing to check is if you have suspenders is that they're not overly tight, that can cause stress on your back when you go into stance. I've done a few goal cam videos lately so if you want to see how I move it might help. One thing to think about is that you dont want your body/head bouncing around much when you're moving/going down. Think about how they make models walk with a book on their head, that but goaltending.

Not my best outing but you can get what i'm saying to some degree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXRuOKpxYWc

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

You don't want to just drop, you want to roll forward with your knees, basically keeping your feet in place rather than throwing them backwards.

Also, keep your glove a bit forward of your body and WATCH THE PUCK ALL THE WAY. Can't stress that last part enough.

The forward roll is actually what made keeping my 5-hole closed easier. I realized I was yanking my feet back the week before and it was causing my legs to seperate.

titanium posted:

Your back shouldn't bother you from butterflying, make sure your stance isn't causing your torso to drop too much when you do. Another thing to check is if you have suspenders is that they're not overly tight, that can cause stress on your back when you go into stance. I've done a few goal cam videos lately so if you want to see how I move it might help. One thing to think about is that you dont want your body/head bouncing around much when you're moving/going down. Think about how they make models walk with a book on their head, that but goaltending.

Not my best outing but you can get what i'm saying to some degree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXRuOKpxYWc

Some of the back problems have to do with my day job. Getting shaken around in a lovely van driving over potholes while moving boxes around never helps. I did just switch to suspenders and noticed it got worse with that. I'll try loosening them up for next week.

Watching your videos is actually one of the major reasons I decided to get into this. Especially "never take your eye off the puck"

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 15, 2017

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Some of the back problems have to do with my day job. Getting shaken around in a lovely van driving over potholes while moving boxes around never helps. I did just switch to suspenders and noticed it got worse with that. I'll try loosening them up for next week.

Watching your videos is actually one of the major reasons I decided to get into this. Especially "never take your eye off the puck"

Let me know how it goes, I tightened my garter belt and ended up with the same type of back pain over tightening my suspenders gave me. Loosened them up today and all of that was gone again.

I just made a long video of myself talking about the gear I use and why. I've had a number of people ask me about my strapping or about my gear so hopefully this is some value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeRB0C8HkcM

Also another vid of me playing with that solid Tuesday morning crew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_sZpazGrTc

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Yeah, it worked. Loosening them up eased everything. Felt a bit more free to move as well.

I mean, I moved as well as someone with five hours of just facing shots and no goalie specific instruction would. I make no claims that I'm good at this.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Yeah, it worked. Loosening them up eased everything. Felt a bit more free to move as well.

I mean, I moved as well as someone with five hours of just facing shots and no goalie specific instruction would. I make no claims that I'm good at this.

It takes time, man. You can't learn goalie overnight. Just go out there and focus on having fun.

Anybody have any advice on covering shooters that start wide and cut in front of the crease? I got burned twice last game to where a shooter walked around my defenseman and wired a shot over me in the low slot/circle. I felt like dropping to the butterfly was the highest percentage move I could do but the puck when over my right shoulder. I think my issue is that I'm not keeping enough depth on the shooter and my shuffling is too infrequent.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Vargatron posted:

It takes time, man. You can't learn goalie overnight. Just go out there and focus on having fun.

Anybody have any advice on covering shooters that start wide and cut in front of the crease? I got burned twice last game to where a shooter walked around my defenseman and wired a shot over me in the low slot/circle. I felt like dropping to the butterfly was the highest percentage move I could do but the puck when over my right shoulder. I think my issue is that I'm not keeping enough depth on the shooter and my shuffling is too infrequent.

The classic issue is collapsing to the post and then staying deep in your crease as they cut across.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Vargatron posted:

How close are they getting? If they're getting wedged out by the D you can poke or almost attack them to prevent a full side to side transition. If they're higher out make sure you don't lag behind their positioning and pay attention to what hand they're shooting from.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
I had no idea this was a thing to worry about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAzH2lTXifQ

Why yes, I did revive an old thread. BECAUSE I BELIEVE IN TENDYS!

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Any of you guys have Brian's pads with the smart strap system? If so any of you had issue with the velcro toe ties? I need some tips or tricks or something, they came undone on me in my first game in them and it was a massive pain in the rear end. Hoping it doesn't happen next time.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

topenga posted:

I had no idea this was a thing to worry about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAzH2lTXifQ

Why yes, I did revive an old thread. BECAUSE I BELIEVE IN TENDYS!

With the Bauer quick releases it its. Garrett Sparks was just talking about the high frequency he saw someone lose their blades because of the fast switchers. It might be a product of the steel being a lot thinner all over, 3mm+the reduced height = less resistance to puck impacts.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So this summer I'm considering throwing away money on a full set of custom pads, glove, and blocker.

There's an upper league goalie here that knows folks over at Simmons I'm going to talk to, but I'd like to explore other manufacturers for options.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I'm slowly progressing at this stuff, but man I like going to the clinics and killing myself facing shots every Monday night. I'm starting to understand positioning a bit better, and following the puck has gotten a lot easier with repetition (to the point I was snagging some hard shots out of the air this week). I'm comfortable with the initial save but still working on movement to be able to get after any rebounds. It's more getting a good feel and repetition for pushes and sliding that I need to get at. Clinic isn't the best time for that. Luckily, youth hockey is just about done and that means more stick/rat time at the primary rink.

Oh, and I took my first shot to the junk. Nothing hard, barely felt it through the goal jock and player cup. I don't expect any future noot shots to be that kind.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Bootcha posted:

So this summer I'm considering throwing away money on a full set of custom pads, glove, and blocker.

There's an upper league goalie here that knows folks over at Simmons I'm going to talk to, but I'd like to explore other manufacturers for options.

I've used just about everything from Simmons. I personally dont think their pads can keep up with todays style. If you're an older dude that's playing standup or extremely hybrid in a slower skate they'd be fine but how soft they are is prohibitive to fast movement. Their blockers are fine and so are their Chest/Pants but I thought the glove was a bit lackluster after using other brands.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I'm slowly progressing at this stuff, but man I like going to the clinics and killing myself facing shots every Monday night. I'm starting to understand positioning a bit better, and following the puck has gotten a lot easier with repetition (to the point I was snagging some hard shots out of the air this week). I'm comfortable with the initial save but still working on movement to be able to get after any rebounds. It's more getting a good feel and repetition for pushes and sliding that I need to get at. Clinic isn't the best time for that. Luckily, youth hockey is just about done and that means more stick/rat time at the primary rink.

Oh, and I took my first shot to the junk. Nothing hard, barely felt it through the goal jock and player cup. I don't expect any future noot shots to be that kind.

TBH if your gear is decent and you dont get pinched you shouldnt feel nut shots much at all. Pinches however.....

Number one thing you should think about on recover is foot planting, honestly all movement you should just focus on foot planting. Optimal power transfer is planting your foot 90 degrees to the direction you want to go which is the pipe.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Found out that there's an 80% chance I get to play in net for my spring/summer coed team's first game in a couple weeks :toot:

Team captain said not to worry if I give up 20 or whatever, just have fun. It's what I plan on doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Found out that there's an 80% chance I get to play in net for my spring/summer coed team's first game in a couple weeks :toot:

Team captain said not to worry if I give up 20 or whatever, just have fun. It's what I plan on doing.

Been playing with my squad for 2 years, having our worst season ever-- 1 win in 9, 5 GAA.

Biggest concern is why we keep running out of beer.

• Locked thread