Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Help Im Alive posted:

Who's watching lets plays of like 60 hour RPGs

Giantbomb people if I recall last time. :v:

But yeah this is really stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Please don't give us free advertising" - a corporation in 2017.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
please enjoy persona 5, our game about youth rebellion against corrupt and oppressive authority figures

also we'll take you to court if you stream it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ethanol posted:

Every game has some stupid romance option every game is about gender rolees and exploitation in a fully realized world consisting of plants to pick up and blood trails to follow . Give me a gun and show me where the nazis are

I was going to say Yooka-Laylee is out but unfortunately

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This is how I feel about the Persona 5 streaming business:

https://twitter.com/aurahack/status/849364957615599616

https://twitter.com/aurahack/status/849365808971096064

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I thought it was basically known at this point that you don't really buy software and you are actually just buying a license. Granted, I haven't seen a EULA come up before installing a game in years.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well if that person wants to share photos then Atlus is actually saving them from being a marketing tool for them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

wizard on a water slide posted:

please enjoy persona 5, our game about youth rebellion against corrupt and oppressive authority figures

also we'll take you to court if you stream it

This is the best part

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I want someone to make an LP using like, a loving voice changer and upload videos only to anonymous torrent sites just to stick it to Atlas and point out how dumb it is to try to keep it a secret in this day and age.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
As someone who has had the final bosses of games spoiled multiple times by clickbait video thumbnails from streamers who broke street date, I'm pretty OK with publishers making a token effort to tell people not to be assholes in the name of e-peen.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

EULAs don't mean poo poo in a courtroom (wiki: "No court has ruled on the validity of EULAs generally; decisions are limited to particular provisions and terms.")

there's especially no legal basis for defining how people can stream/record your game AFTER they've bought the game, that makes no sense

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I got Ending A of Nier:A. Game remains quite good. I'm kind of thinking that I'll just skip any sidequests that I've already finished (that I can remember at least), unless the flavor text and such is different this time around. Any reason this would be a bad idea? Or do completed sidequests not show up and it was just the beginning mandatory ones (fixing the merchants in the resistance camp) that have to be done again?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I got Ending A of Nier:A. Game remains quite good. I'm kind of thinking that I'll just skip any sidequests that I've already finished (that I can remember at least), unless the flavor text and such is different this time around. Any reason this would be a bad idea? Or do completed sidequests not show up and it was just the beginning mandatory ones (fixing the merchants in the resistance camp) that have to be done again?

The latter. There are some new side quests specific to later playthroughs as well but anything you completed stays completed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Any side quest you've finished completely won't show up, those two at the start are mandatory parts of the story.
There are a couple of multi part ones that you might not have done 100% that you'll have to start again if not and some that span multiple play throughs though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The forum that makes fun of other gaming websites for not knowing what free speech and censorship are now thinks that a publisher issuing a statement saying that they will issue takedown notices on videos that spoil the story of a story-driven game is literally threatening to take people to court for recording videos of their game.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

EULAs don't mean poo poo in a courtroom (wiki: "No court has ruled on the validity of EULAs generally; decisions are limited to particular provisions and terms.")

there's especially no legal basis for defining how people can stream/record your game AFTER they've bought the game, that makes no sense

Oh yeah, the streaming stuff is totally dumb. I was more confused by that person's third tweet about how they signed no contract and they bought, not rented, the software when, to my knowledge, that's not generally how software purchasing is done.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Guy Mann posted:

The forum that makes fun of other gaming websites for not knowing what free speech and censorship are now thinks that a publisher issuing a statement saying that they will issue takedown notices on videos that spoil the story of a story-driven game is literally threatening to take people to court for recording videos of their game.

hey kiddy i know your exicted about your new game but also ur baned from utube

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

I said that there's no legal foundation for what they're doing, not that they would pursue legal action

read buddy, read

its something they can do only because Youtube yields the power to companies to enforce takedowns/strikes with whatever criteria they want, fair or unfair. which is why i think a court case is inevitable to ultimately decide a lot of this stuff, because it does incur financial damage

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 5, 2017

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

There is no way a human read this and accepted it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hell they read it aloud and recorded it even

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

I hope you enjoy prison, screenshot sharer

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It baffles me that people are getting this anal about finding flaws with Persona 5. It's like people can't enjoy happiness anymore and can only get a boner when they have something to bitch about.

Yes, some of the lines (mostly early in the game) kind of read a bit off, they sound better when voiced IMO and in the case of the prison line I believe that's a line spoken by Igor who intentionally speaks like a big fucken weirdo. Context is important! It sounds weird but in the situation of what is happening and who was saying it, it's completely fine.

Regardless if it's bad or not. Persona 5 is a huge game with lots and lots and lots of text and well over 90% is really good. This isn't Chaos Wars.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A TL shouldn't have to be that far down in the dumps for people to point out flaws in something they care about when there are better jobs being done out there. I like Atelier, but the TL in those games is garbo to the point of obstructing gameplay. P5 isn't nearly as bad as that, but more care should be taken with a series that sells itself so heavily on character writing and such.

The crowd that goes straight to "WHAT??? IS THIS TRASH???? I THREW MY PS4 OUT THE WINDOW" is a definitely a bunch of morons that do a disservice to any legit crit though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Persona 5 didn't come in today and I had planned my evening around it. drat the postal service :negative:

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Some people want to eat good broccoli and other people want to talk trash. It is the way of the land.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The TL that pointed it out said that most of the shonky stuff is in the prologue and there's good TL work in it and didn't defenestrate a PlayStation.

It would be nice if we could discuss criticism without hyperbolic statements regarding the people doing the criticising.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Dr Cheeto posted:

The TL that pointed it out said that most of the shonky stuff is in the prologue and there's good TL work in it and didn't defenestrate a PlayStation.

It would be nice if we could discuss criticism without hyperbolic statements regarding the people doing the criticising.

The tweet literally says it's garbage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I think the blame for the hyperbole falls squarely on the original tweet.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

The Black Stones posted:

The tweet literally says it's garbage.
https://twitter.com/verdelishJP/status/849199696610344960
https://twitter.com/verdelishJP/status/849202022519717888

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think the blame for the hyperbole falls squarely on the original tweet.

We do this poo poo every time someone criticises a video game, especially via tweet. At a certain point when you're​ reading 140 characters you're making a choice to interpret it in the most serious and insane way possible.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 5, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Someone rushed into the P5 thread posting about how it's terrible garbage based off those tweets so, y'know.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKPWHU4BpRE

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

ImpAtom posted:

Someone rushed into the P5 thread posting about how it's terrible garbage based off those tweets so, y'know.

God dammit, goons

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Me personally, I think Twitter should be banned forever.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been playing Skyrm, and I've encountered a bug. Everytime I go to the werewof house, one of the dude immediately draws his sword, runs up to me, and the dialogue thing pops up. Even if I'm talking to someone else, the other dude's dialogue will override it. If I exit, after a few seconds the dialogue thing will pop up again. I tried to make it go away by selecting "do you have any work for me" but then he just says, "not now, you're busy."

If I leave the werewolf house, that dude will chase me around the city, into shops, into my own home, forcing me into dialogue with him

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just wrote, in the middle of my essay about Oryx and Crake, "I HEAR PERSONA 5 HAS A REAL BAD TRANSLATION".

I did not.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Some fat weeabo took some screenshots, not sure why this is warranting so much discussion???

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Guy Goodbody posted:

I've been playing Skyrm, and I've encountered a bug.

What?! :monocle:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Everyone is so excited about Persona 5 but after having sunk ~10 hours into P3 Portable and about the same into Golden, I will never understand why the series is so popular. I'm not even 30 yet and I feel way too old for the franchise. The combat visuals are pretty sweet but I don't get the dating sim/social aspect of it at all and I'll be damned if I spend more money on another Persona game I'm not going to beat.

• Locked thread