Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dunsparce evolving to look eve more like a tsuchinoko would be great. Maybe even have its little front nubs become stubby little legs like a Mexican Mole Lizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Justice Sloth posted:

I think the poorest justification is Ground vs Poison, like what, you can't be poisoned if you're underground? Subterranean animals are resistant to venomous ones? Steel makes sense because steel types are typically either heavily armored or inorganic. With psychic I suppose you can argue "mind over matter" like meditating away an illness or something. But what, sand negates grime now?

I think it's more that dirt can be used to cover or absorb contact poisons, making an area safe. Also, you can use mud to treat poison ivy and poison oak.

By the way, as soon as I saw the nickname for that fish, I knew it had to be a Daikatana pun, but I wasn't actually expecting it to be Daikatuna because I figured the writer wasn't that clever. I was gonna post it myself. But then it turned out I'd underestimated the guy, so, credit where it's due, well done.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is solving shoving puzzles exactly as annoying in this as it is in Golden Sun? Like, giant production for every single shove out of 30?

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
My Dunsparce evolution is just 3 Dunsparce stuck together.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Glazius posted:

Is solving shoving puzzles exactly as annoying in this as it is in Golden Sun? Like, giant production for every single shove out of 30?

No, it has an entirely different problem.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'm gonna have to be the voice of dissent and say that Daikatuna is a bad name, because even though it is a grade A pun, never in a million years would a real pokemon have a Daikatana reference for a name. It's a little too meme-y even for Gamefreak. Also the design is real bad, which is confusing because a literal Sword Fish is a solid concept and the first two stages were at least passable looking.
daikatana isn't something john romero made up. it just means 'big sword.' the more preferred term for that is nodachi, but there's some historical texts that just say 'dai katana' for the same type of blade.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I think this game's biggest flaw is just how much a technical trainwreck it is. Trainers can still find you even during text windows or even in the pause menu. The game literally can't pause right.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kay Kessler posted:

I think this game's biggest flaw is just how much a technical trainwreck it is. Trainers can still find you even during text windows or even in the pause menu. The game literally can't pause right.

Uranium truly is the Dark Souls of Pokemon.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Lots of the uranium pokemon look like digimon. Like the perv frog totally looks like a digimon.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Tired Moritz posted:

Lots of the uranium pokemon look like digimon. Like the perv frog totally looks like a digimon.

Then there's ANGEL DRAGON.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I don't want a Dunsparce evolution, but I want a Mega Dunsparce that bites its own tail and turns into an unstoppable hoop snake.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Tired Moritz posted:

Not enough wings, jeans or leather, let's be real here

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Or belts. Just ask Devimon:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Or random cybernetic parts.

The average digimon requires enough random added details that Uranium is flat-out too lazy too emulate.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Don't forget the guns.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Endorph posted:

daikatana isn't something john romero made up. it just means 'big sword.' the more preferred term for that is nodachi, but there's some historical texts that just say 'dai katana' for the same type of blade.

They both use the same kanji, it's that "daikatana" is an incorrect reading of those kanji in that linguistic context. That is, it's poor kanjigation. :buddy:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

EclecticTastes posted:

They both use the same kanji, it's that "daikatana" is an incorrect reading of those kanji in that linguistic context. That is, it's poor kanjigation. :buddy:

Mods, kill this man.

I approve

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That tiki monkey is a real good design, not gonna lie.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I thought the Salsa Badge was clever and I'm glad that at least one clever thing got into this game.

Daikatuna could've been it but it was wasted on an awful design. Sad. Uranium is not making me its bitch like this.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

My favorite thing about Dunseraph is that it's not even a seraph

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I'll be honest. When they said the leader wears a skirt, I wasn't expecting him to only be wearing a skirt.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm trying to remember who the fire gym leader reminds me of. Crusher Wake?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

That tiki monkey is a real good design, not gonna lie.

Agreed. I forgot to comment on it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm trying to remember who the fire gym leader reminds me of. Crusher Wake?
Crasher Wake?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Personally, Phoebe of the Hoenn Elite Four comes to mind before Wake.

Andante
Jul 3, 2008
Daikatuna crosses the line of "this is so stupid" and enters into "this is so stupid that it completely owns."

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Andante posted:

Daikatuna crosses the line of "this is so stupid" and enters into "this is so stupid that it completely owns."

It definitely wouldn't be something I expect out of a mainstream Pokemon game, but it's just goofy enough that it really does work.

The Dunsparce evolution is kinda meh though. Then again the best way I could ever describe what I want out of a Dunsparce evolution is "Mr. Rogers is back and he is upset with you: the Pokemon."

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i like the chimaera
i don't think it's a good design
i just like chimaeras

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

The chimaera is literally the chimaera from Mother 3, so of course it's a good design

e: ok, not literally, but it's like a cute-ified version of it.

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 5, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

someone awful. posted:

The chimaera is literally the chimaera from Mother 3, so of course it's a good design

e: with a mane, i guess

This would be a better game if we just had all the Dr. Andonightmares wandering around. Plus, I dunno, Negative Man -- not like he's a worse Pokemon design than Garlikid.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Antivehicular posted:

This would be a better game if we just had all the Dr. Andonightmares wandering around. Plus, I dunno, Negative Man -- not like he's a worse Pokemon design than Garlikid.

I feel like it's worth reiterating every time we have something nice to say about this game, that Garlikid loving exists.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Alacron posted:

I feel like it's worth reiterating every time we have something nice to say about this game, that Garlikid loving exists.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Now I'm imagining a Dugtrio mega evolution that's just straight up the Barrier Trio.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
i dunno whu but whenever that garlic dude comes up I cant help but think of that wierd leek guy from the super hosed up anime thing Gantz

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

mandatory lesbian posted:

the flamboyant dancer guy has 4 fire types, which i guess is meant to be HAHA HE'S FLAMING, and then one random chimera that doesn't really seem to fit the theme? am i missing something

the renaissance understanding of homosexuality was an unnatural mix of masculine and feminine spirits inside the male or female body. essentially a gender-chimera. this is what shakespeare relentlessly took the piss out of by cross-dressing his characters and having them fall in love with each other all the time to conflate heterosexual, homosexual and homosocial desires.

twelfth night; or pokemon uranium, by william shakespeare.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
I'm a bit disappointed the daikatuna was not named JohnRemora.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Culka posted:

I'm a bit disappointed the daikatuna was not named JohnRemora.

If we stack too many puns then Dark Lord Arriakis will destroy me with his magic.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

John Romero's about to make you his fish

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

MissEchelon posted:

i like the chimaera
i just like chimaeras

I agree that it's cute, but I thought it looked more like a manticore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MissEchelon posted:

i like the chimaera
i just like chimaeras

Objection, every line of this haiku has one syllable too many :colbert:

• Locked thread