Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I've got two of the full-sized and three of the mini ones from various Kickstarters, but I don't think they sell them anywhere. I also have several stamps by Happy Seppuku (pug fugly website warning) and they work really, really well. In some ways I like the rubber stamps better, though they smell pretty intense at first, it's easier to detach the base from them than the Basius ones and I've had tiny remnants of the putty stick into the details of the Basius pads, which hasn't impacted their use but which irritates me slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

rantmo posted:

pug fugly

I'm sorry, what?

It IS ugly website but is got nothing on a number of sites I've ordered from in the past. Dude has pics at least.

More than that though, you won't say "fug ugly"? Is it too vulgar for you? Instead you have to insult a breed of dogs that are innocent of their dubious genetic traits?

I think it'd be less vulgar to just say "gently caress ugly".

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

DiHK posted:

I'm sorry, what?

It IS ugly website but is got nothing on a number of sites I've ordered from in the past. Dude has pics at least.

More than that though, you won't say "fug ugly"? Is it too vulgar for you? Instead you have to insult a breed of dogs that are innocent of their dubious genetic traits?

I think it'd be less vulgar to just say "gently caress ugly".

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

As shown, a specific reference for an aggressively unattractive website for an excellent product.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Working on Sorscha here. I've got the reds pretty well handled. The black leather bits are blocked, but no highlighting as yet. Right now, it's not popping terribly well. I was thinking of maybe adding in another color somewhere, but I'm not sure how best to go about it, or if another color is exactly what's needed.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

JackMann posted:

Working on Sorscha here. I've got the reds pretty well handled. The black leather bits are blocked, but no highlighting as yet. Right now, it's not popping terribly well. I was thinking of maybe adding in another color somewhere, but I'm not sure how best to go about it, or if another color is exactly what's needed.

Id say another color. something to break up the red. Mainly thinking you could "line" the cloak with a different color to pull it back.

might be worth blocking a bit more of it out and seeing if that helps. might geta bunch better by the time you get metals on there, but I suspect you still want another color in there.

Maybe even just breaking it up by picking up some of the details in the straps/rivets/etc

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I didn't know The Simpsons did it.

However, look at this noble pug.

He does not take kindly to your insults, sir.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
With Necromunda Shadow War: Armageddon upon us, I decided to pull my Dark Vengeance Chaos stuff out of my closet and put them to use. Started working on the Aspiring Champion last night. Cork bases scattered with some leftover bits from all my AdMech stuff.

I'm not really sure what paint scheme i was going for. I just wanted to paint blue and bone. Still gotta work on the base and fine detail the model, but so far I like it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Went with some purple to break things up a bit. Still need to get the foot plates, highlight the black bits, then paint the hammer and various buckles, rivets, and so forth.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Slowly working on these trolls.

Finished the two on the right recently.
Two more to go.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

JackMann posted:

Went with some purple to break things up a bit. Still need to get the foot plates, highlight the black bits, then paint the hammer and various buckles, rivets, and so forth.

Way better. Picking out details will nail it

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

dmnz posted:

Slowly working on these trolls.

Finished the two on the right recently.
Two more to go.

Those are some :krad: trolls.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

This is what i have been painting over the last 2 nights!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

dexefiend posted:

This is what i have been painting over the last 2 nights!

This is a really awesome bug.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Those AoS models are loving incredible looking. I couldn't imagine how long it would take me to paint that thing.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

rantmo posted:

I've got two of the full-sized and three of the mini ones from various Kickstarters, but I don't think they sell them anywhere. I also have several stamps by Happy Seppuku (pug fugly website warning) and they work really, really well. In some ways I like the rubber stamps better, though they smell pretty intense at first, it's easier to detach the base from them than the Basius ones and I've had tiny remnants of the putty stick into the details of the Basius pads, which hasn't impacted their use but which irritates me slightly.

Looks pretty good, they will probably do the trick. Thanks.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

This dumb image macro loses so much from the actual video, like the delightfully midcentury English narration, casual sexism, and Peter Cushing casually taking a drag from his cigarette between moves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEC7dsFlvIE

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Holy poo poo I couldn't tell if that was just a goofy image macro I didn't get, or if that was real. I hoped it was an actual ad.

I don't understand the Internet anymore. :corsair:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

This dumb image macro loses so much from the actual video, like the delightfully midcentury English narration, casual sexism, and Peter Cushing casually taking a drag from his cigarette between moves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEC7dsFlvIE

Can you just imagine him trying to sell Christopher Lee on this game?

"Christopher stop saying that lieutenant is a wizard, there were no wizards in the Napoleonic wars."

"But I want him to be a wizard. This game needs a wizard, maybe some elves and hobbits."

"No Christopher, that wouldn't be proper. We have to maintain historical accuracy."

"Peter, we're playing with toys on the floor in the corner of a pub I think one can be a wizard. Or maybe a vampire."

"They're not toys! They're meticulously crafted hobby figurines."

"Whatever. I'm going to get another pint. I can't do another three hours of this sober. "

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There appears to be an entire documentary about minis, of which Cushing is only a minor part. I can find other clips from "British Pathe" but not a whole one.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Chill la Chill posted:

There appears to be an entire documentary about minis, of which Cushing is only a minor part. I can find other clips from "British Pathe" but not a whole one.

British Pathé was a media production company that made news and documentaries. A few years ago their entire archive was digitised but I dunno if the website is full access.

http://www.britishpathe.com/search/query/Model+soldiers

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Has anyone used the vallejo plastic putty? Is it the same as liquid green stuff? Seems to be..

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Has anyone used the vallejo plastic putty? Is it the same as liquid green stuff? Seems to be..

It's slightly better.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

TTerrible posted:

I've used the plastic putty but have never used liquid green stuff. The putty seems pretty good.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Thanks hams. I've got some in the post, I look forward to it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I painted up some thousand sons cultists today

The sergeant isn't finished, he's WIP but my back is getting sore so I'm stopping for today :cheeky: Overall pretty happy with the lot, I'm no expert painter but I'm improving from where I used to be.

Pretty happy about this guy, you can't really tell from my lovely iphone 4 picture but the cloak looks pretty cool and has a nice blend of blue and green. Best cloak I've done yet. (which isn't saying much)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Any opinions on Vallejo airbrush metal colors? LGS got some in and if I can use them in an airbrush easily, I'll try them. I normally hate metallics and their tendency to infect everything but i could give it a go for airbrush-only use.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Robot with sword. My second shock army addition.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Any opinions on Vallejo airbrush metal colors? LGS got some in and if I can use them in an airbrush easily, I'll try them. I normally hate metallics and their tendency to infect everything but i could give it a go for airbrush-only use.

If the bottles look like this:

They're absolutely amazing. Very, very thin like an alcohol based paint but still an acrylic. Get a shade or two darker than you think you need because they're blingy as hell.

Mango Polo sprayed a load of spoons with them to show off the colours.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I ordered the vallejo 16 piece Game Color Intro set, figuring I could make just about any color I would otherwise need without too much hassle

how do vallejo paints handle color mixing and thinning to approximate washes and such? almost all my GW paints dried out and I have to start over lol

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

I ordered the vallejo 16 piece Game Color Intro set, figuring I could make just about any color I would otherwise need without too much hassle

how do vallejo paints handle color mixing and thinning to approximate washes and such? almost all my GW paints dried out and I have to start over lol

You're in a good place. I exclusively use Vallejo over GW and I love them. They mix really well. Check out the OP for a list of good colours.

The washes are good enough that you won't need to thin them, but the vallejo glaze and retarder mediums work as well as any other.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TTerrible posted:

If the bottles look like this:

They're absolutely amazing. Very, very thin like an alcohol based paint but still an acrylic. Get a shade or two darker than you think you need because they're blingy as hell.

Mango Polo sprayed a load of spoons with them to show off the colours.

Sweet. Do they mix well? I might want to make metallic purples and greens.

Babe Magnet posted:

Yes. I do it all the time myself.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I've never mixed them. I feel like they might not like being mixed with normal acrylics too much. The consistency is like a wash.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I eventually plan on getting washes and metallics and all that but at this moment I'm buying minis and paints at the same time so I'm trying not to break the bank too hard. I only have the basic paints from the 16 piece set, so I'm going to be making my own washes with water and thinner, and just not using metallics for now lol

thanks for the advice dudes

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
This seems like a silly question but what's the easiest and most efficient ways you guys use to transfer your paint pots into those eye dropper/paint droppers?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Wirth1000 posted:

This seems like a silly question but what's the easiest and most efficient ways you guys use to transfer your paint pots into those eye dropper/paint droppers?

Take the nozzle thing off and pour it in, and use a little mixer spoon thing to scoop out what I can. What remains is simply lost. I just pour it right in from pot to dropper. I've tried using a tiny funnel but it's honestly just not worth my time to save a miniscule amount of paint when there's going to be loss on the funnel itself anyway. Just be careful and pour kinda slowly.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Tentacle Party posted:

Robot with sword. My second shock army addition.

This is a good Robot.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Get Vallejo Air Steel (forgot the number bit it should be in the "much loved paints" section). It's great for what you want, personally tested as metallic green and turquioise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Due to the odd consistency, I found I got a better result spraying washes or ghost tints over the top, as they're so shiny/glossy the metallic effect goes through translucent paints really well.

Aluminium, I think, with ghost tints Blue on top, weathered with more Aluminium.

Gunmetal, then light layer of Aluminium, with a gradiant of Dark Sword MM Bronze, then Army Painter purple tone, then the ghost tints blue -> plasma fluid.