Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hooray i got reversi game logic working and some basic graphics, enough to make it playable

...now i just need to figure out how to write a reversi AI which i never really got around to last time i tried this project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
re: razor
not really but it's aged a bit and could use some love/modernization

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

razor isn't *bad* it's just not suitable for 2017 and stuff like angular has pretty much superseded it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
luigi write the recurrent neural net

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

...now i just need to figure out how to write a reversi AI which i never really got around to last time i tried this project
I wrote a pretty basic one with alpha beta pruning a while back, but it's all in C++ with smart pointers and such which I don't think helps you in Amiga land

but if you want to just spitball stuff I can help

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

razor isn't *bad* it's just not suitable for 2017 and stuff like angular has pretty much superseded it

angular is a total nightmare

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I never came up with a good quiescence heuristic for iterative deepening search

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shaggar posted:

angular is a total nightmare

can confirm that angular 1.x is godawful. I have been told 2.x is better but have no idea if that's true. at least it uses typescript

we started this project after angular 2 was public. this guy talked everybody into using angular 1 because he knew it so well and liked it, then hosed off to a startup like a month ago

dude was an alright guy but I won't miss having to deal with his code

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I wrote a pretty basic one with alpha beta pruning a while back, but it's all in C++ with smart pointers and such which I don't think helps you in Amiga land

but if you want to just spitball stuff I can help

i'm using GCC 6 if that's something C++14 can do, there's just no boost for amigaos 3

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i'm dead and posting from beyond the grave. i was killed today by a huge task being assigned to me and being told that it will go forward in "prototyping" fashion.

this is the task i and another developer were asked for a time estimate. the specs were vague and i didn't know the underlying architecture. i said 6 months for development + 1 month for integration, the other guy (who didn't work on this project anymore) said 1 month. the estimate was set at 1 month.

the specs are still as vague as they were back then, except i was told that i should implement the feature in our new architecture, which has been developed separately from the old one and has nothing to do with it and has no integration. in other words the data and the ui that exist in the old architecture are not available in the new one and cannot be dropped in. also the new project has been in ice for a couple of months and i haven't worked in it for 6 months.

when i asked what is the deadline, or specifically when is the target release due, i was told to just assign the jira ticket to myself and given no answer.

every question i had was answered with it being a prototyping project and i should talk to the guy who made the original vague spec.

Boooooooooooooooooooo!

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Flat Daddy posted:

redux is event sourcing on the front end. with redux I can have error reports that have the entire history for a users browsing session, and all I had to do was write or add in a small middleware. I can load their history, play their actions in my environment, then go back in time and inspect component state at various points etc.

Is this with Raven/Sentry or something else?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
redux is so good

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
i wanna learn redux

i guess

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

error message that has been in logs: "SOAP connection requires port to be an integer, found "connectionProperties.getPort()" instead

they put the call in a string and no one noticed for years

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Is this with Raven/Sentry or something else?

mine doesn't use raven yet but I could easily drop it in. now it's a "save this .json file and attach it in your jira ticket" kind of thing but eventually i want to post with raven and display the incident id

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Wheany posted:

i'm dead and posting from beyond the grave. i was killed today by a huge task being assigned to me and being told that it will go forward in "prototyping" fashion.

this is the task i and another developer were asked for a time estimate. the specs were vague and i didn't know the underlying architecture. i said 6 months for development + 1 month for integration, the other guy (who didn't work on this project anymore) said 1 month. the estimate was set at 1 month.

the specs are still as vague as they were back then, except i was told that i should implement the feature in our new architecture, which has been developed separately from the old one and has nothing to do with it and has no integration. in other words the data and the ui that exist in the old architecture are not available in the new one and cannot be dropped in. also the new project has been in ice for a couple of months and i haven't worked in it for 6 months.

when i asked what is the deadline, or specifically when is the target release due, i was told to just assign the jira ticket to myself and given no answer.

every question i had was answered with it being a prototyping project and i should talk to the guy who made the original vague spec.

Boooooooooooooooooooo!

rip in peace

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Wheany posted:

Boooooooooooooooooooo!

Have fun asserting yourself and then being dinged on your next review for not being a team player.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

stuff like this makes me very happy about my company sometimes. my manager tells anyone wanting something done without a spec to gently caress off

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
we have specs on everyhting too

in fact we're so agile everything has several specs, and it's mostly recorded in slack messages which spec we're working off of and how the request is different from what's written down

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

CPColin posted:

Have fun asserting yourself and then being dinged on your next review for not being a team player.

i was dinged for not submitting my hours on time.

we have a (virtual) time punch card, but regardless of that we have to submit exactly 7.5 hours per day, every day, on a separate form. any absences (sick leave, vacations, flex time) need to be submitted both on the "7.5 hour per day" form and also on yet another form.

i submitted maybe 1 or 2 forms late last year due to sick leave or vacation, i forget.

it's suuuuuuuuper dumb.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

No spec Work!

Oh, they got this all screwed up

No spec. Work!

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

redux is so good

It looks like another needlessly complex garbo js framework. What problem is it even supposed to solve ?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

jre posted:

It looks like another needlessly complex garbo js framework. What problem is it even supposed to solve ?

the problem is that the code in most SPAs is spaghetti poo poo. maybe you've been lucky but like every angular or jquery codebase I've seen really sucks to add things to. otoh with redux it takes no effort at all as long as you've reduxed your app real good

redux centralizes your state into a single json tree (which can only ever be updated by the store), centralizes your state updates into a single reducer function (which is purely functional), and centralizes all your presentation into one react component tree (which is basically a single pure function of state->dom).

the state gives you a perfect snapshot of your app for debugging, and can be saved to a disk, restored, attached to a bug report etc.
the reducer is composed of smaller reducers (usually one per component or page) each of which are amazingly easy to unit test ("assert reducer(state, action) == expectedState").

even though everything is centralized to be nice and debuggable, redux provides ways to decouple your components so you end up getting the best of both worlds, where it's still really easy to add and remove components

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Flat Daddy posted:

the problem is that the code in most SPAs is spaghetti poo poo. maybe you've been lucky but like every angular or jquery codebase I've seen really sucks to add things to. otoh with redux it takes no effort at all as long as you've reduxed your app real good

redux centralizes your state into a single json tree (which can only ever be updated by the store), centralizes your state updates into a single reducer function (which is purely functional), and centralizes all your presentation into one react component tree (which is basically a single pure function of state->dom).

the state gives you a perfect snapshot of your app for debugging, and can be saved to a disk, restored, attached to a bug report etc.
the reducer is composed of smaller reducers (usually one per component or page) each of which are amazingly easy to unit test ("assert reducer(state, action) == expectedState").

even though everything is centralized to be nice and debuggable, redux provides ways to decouple your components so you end up getting the best of both worlds, where it's still really easy to add and remove components

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
redux is really good, especially when it's called elm

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
at the end of the day though, you're still writing garbage JS. it just makes it, i daresay, enjoyable.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Asymmetrikon posted:

redux is really good, especially when it's called elm

yeah but no one has heard of elm and using it requires you rewrite your entire frontend so it's not really practical in the real world. you can just bring in redux as a library and refactor towards it gradually.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i'm not sure that what was needed was another js library that pulls the controller into the front end... i think the real solution here might be 'don't write SPAs' that require more than one model and aren't just doing CRUD'

edit: i am terrible though and am guilty of writing spaghetti jquery for that exact case so tbh i don't know what I'm talking about

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Flat Daddy posted:

This sounds horrendous for any website that has any non trivial functionality.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

jre posted:

luckily, no such website exists

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Flat Daddy posted:

the problem is that the code in most SPAs is spaghetti poo poo.

I'm prototyping one right now to find out the requirements. I absolutely hate all of it.

However I like doing stupid poo poo like this 3d flipping:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. nice

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MrMoo posted:

I'm prototyping one right now to find out the requirements. I absolutely hate all of it.

However I like doing stupid poo poo like this 3d flipping:

awesome

anyway i took REVERSI.CPP and adapted it for use with VS2017 and win32 console output so i can write and debug this minimax thing without going insane so hopefully i'll have something soon

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

jre posted:

like what non-trivial functionality does it sound horrible for?

I mean, I left out sagas which is where you keep side effects and async poo poo. they're coroutines that interact with your store via actions going in and out
you can write arbitrarily complex flows like "if I see some sequence of actions, ACTION1, ACTION2, ACTION3 in order, then fire off and wait for an Ajax call 10 times sequentially with a while loop (stopping if the user clicks cancel), then fire off 3 more Ajax calls and race to see which one returns first" and poo poo like that. it would be in a flat, imperatively-written generator function with no callbacks, and it's unit testable.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

jre posted:

our oldass winforms program has some fairly complex forms (particularly in the packaging and industrial operations part) and when i first read about the elm / react architecture it immediately sounded familiar to me since over the years we'd gravitated to refactoring the nastiest of our forms into a very half-assed implementation of the same idea

i.e. most event handlers only change a property or two in the vaguely viewmodel-esque object and then they always call the same UpdateForm() method which re-configures the whole form layout on the basis of said object

ofc there's no such thing as a virtual DOM for winforms, so we just put up with the code being exceedingly wasteful (luxuries of the desktop) and just sprinkle a few "if currentProperty <> newProperty" when some particular control gets perceptibly laggy

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
redux seems really cool but I'm not sure how to drop it into an existing application other than "lol rewrite your controllers into a bunch of API end points then move all the logic out to redux" or something

there's an awful lot of "create a new thing from scratch!" guides out there, an awful lot less of "how to integrate this into an existing webapp somehow"

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
rewrite existing poo poo from scratch is what web devs do all the time so makes sense.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

redux is pretty good but elm is better

i seriously don't get how anyone can look at redux (or any of it's alikes) and not instantly recognize that it's vastly superior to like, angular or vue or whatever

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ugh why is vs2015 taking 60s+ to respond to web requests in debug? having to wait for a refresh that slow to fix my lovely code is killing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

ugh why is vs2015 taking 60s+ to respond to web requests in debug? having to wait for a refresh that slow to fix my lovely code is killing me

is it trying to load symbols during that time?

• Locked thread