Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Leperflesh posted:

Don't play a horde army in a game where you have to move each individual model with a tape measure.

I think I talked about this in the 40k thread once but I've got a bad thing about liking horde armies for the fluff, not because it's what I want to play. A solution is getting some laser cut MDF movement trays for deployment and movement until pile-ins.

It's so convenient, just imagine if everyone started using movement trays all the time for everything :haw:

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Leperflesh posted:

Don't play a horde army in a game where you have to move each individual model with a tape measure.

I've literally only seen like two people max do this ever. Do people not just move one model and then move everyone else behind them?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Only if they feel like not following the rules. :shrug:

I mean of course they do, the rules are impossible to follow. But even so, I'm just helpfully pointing out to someone, before they get too invested, that Age of Sigmar is a game where you move individual models and so having 200 models on the table is gonna suck.

mango sentinel posted:

I think I talked about this in the 40k thread once but I've got a bad thing about liking horde armies for the fluff, not because it's what I want to play. A solution is getting some laser cut MDF movement trays for deployment and movement until pile-ins.

It's so convenient, just imagine if everyone started using movement trays all the time for everything :haw:

You can probably manage this, but if I understand correctly, you'll take a significant penalty for not being able to do stuff like surround a smaller unit, straddle a fence, string out into a long line near a piece of terrain, etc. while your opponent is able to do so.

Unless your opponent is also using movement trays! I bet if you did some very simple mods to the rules, you could avoid the whole pile-in mess, too. Just let the whole unit fight if the front rank is in contact, maybe make up some simple rules for maneuvering units via wheeling etc.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have played 40 and have lots of models for it.

It's not that hard. Move first few models using measuring stick. This tells you were the other models would be and you don't need to use the stick because you know the distance now. This is not breaking the rules as by the rules the measuring stick is not required just a useful tool.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 3, 2017

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Skaven can also be played as monster/gunline poo poo over hordes now right? You can get your three battleline units for 180pts total then go nuts.

(or you can even go full skyre and get stormfiends as battle line)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Leperflesh posted:

I mean of course they do, the rules are impossible to follow. But even so, I'm just helpfully pointing out to someone, before they get too invested, that Age of Sigmar is a game where you move individual models and so having 200 models on the table is gonna suck.

You can probably manage this, but if I understand correctly, you'll take a significant penalty for not being able to do stuff like surround a smaller unit, straddle a fence, string out into a long line near a piece of terrain, etc. while your opponent is able to do so.

Unless your opponent is also using movement trays! I bet if you did some very simple mods to the rules, you could avoid the whole pile-in mess, too. Just let the whole unit fight if the front rank is in contact, maybe make up some simple rules for maneuvering units via wheeling etc.

Well, what if you divided your units into fives and every five guys was on a tray? You'd have a much easier time moving since now you're moving between 1 and 4 trays instead of 5-20 models, but you'd still have the flexibility to take advantage of the terrain or to surround a unit or to position yourself into a line.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well, what if you divided your units into fives and every five guys was on a tray? You'd have a much easier time moving since now you're moving between 1 and 4 trays instead of 5-20 models, but you'd still have the flexibility to take advantage of the terrain or to surround a unit or to position yourself into a line.

Yeah, hmm, it just occurred to me, this could work really well for a sci-fi miniatures game, too!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Ogre buddy now has a Disciples of Tzeentch army. I assume that means he has ample arrays of obnoxious options at his disposal. Any words of wisdom for a treehugger?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Xlorp posted:

Ogre buddy now has a Disciples of Tzeentch army. I assume that means he has ample arrays of obnoxious options at his disposal. Any words of wisdom for a treehugger?

Destiny Dice are the biggest bullshit ever.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

TKIY posted:

Destiny Dice are the biggest bullshit ever.

Basically this. At higher points I guess they aren't as awful but still kinda bullshit for knee-capping certain units with zero risk.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I've seen local people playing with these sort of movement trays, and simply taking models off the bases when appropriate, like for piling in to combat:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
does this game actually suck why is there so much facetiousness around it? all the LGS' seem to be exploding with popularity for this game

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Razzled posted:

does this game actually suck why is there so much facetiousness around it? all the LGS' seem to be exploding with popularity for this game

It does actually suck, but GW is ubiquitous with tabletop miniatures and for some people the guarantee of a game is worth more than insisting on only playing good games.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Razzled posted:

The rules themselves are not bad. There was just no balance at first and now there is so the game has greatly improved. They are even going to release a redone Generals Handbook with more stuff that will likely imrpove it further. It would have been nice if the general's handbook was in from the start, but now that its here I don't have a ton to complain about. (not that there are still not problems but they tend to be little things that need to be ironed out.)

Setting is still kinda lame compared to the old world however.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The rules are still bad and combat resolution is still redundant and bad. There are points but this is GW so I'm not going to say that there's balance.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Atlas Hugged posted:

It does actually suck, but GW is ubiquitous with tabletop miniatures and for some people the guarantee of a game is worth more than insisting on only playing good games.

People really love Dead of Winter too even though it's utter poo poo that makes coop with hidden traitor mechanics games all look bad. And yet people will rave about it at LGSs~ :shrug:

I mean hell, people want to play exploding kittens on board game night at the LGS. Exploding kittens! With board game night regulars who know and love great eurogame staples like Rosenberg!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chill la Chill posted:

People really love Dead of Winter too even though it's utter poo poo that makes coop with hidden traitor mechanics games all look bad. And yet people will rave about it at LGSs~ :shrug:

Yeah I can't figure it out either. People are weird.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Ok, then what's the best comedy option for Tree things in the new rules?
This guy with the Disciples of Tzeentch takes his hamming seriously. This army is supposed to be magic, shooting standoff?
It's easy to wrassle up and run 7 Big Lumber Trees at 2,040 points. 4 of them are wizards and I have no idea what that means against his list. I'd plan to gung ho in a Schlieffen, except with no left flank or center at all :black101:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

By undoing a large number of bullheaded and baffling design decisions, Age of SIgmar went from being a garbage game to merely being a mediocre game, a factor which combined with the strength of GW's brand name and market penetration to turn things around for its popularity in general.

There's nothing AoS does that other minis games didn't already do better before AoS came along. But it doesn't really need to actually be a better game than its competition to be successful.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Xlorp posted:

This guy with the Disciples of Tzeentch takes his hamming seriously. This army is supposed to be magic, shooting standoff?
It's easy to wrassle up and run 7 Big Lumber Trees at 2,040 points. 4 of them are wizards and I have no idea what that means against his list. I'd plan to gung ho in a Schlieffen, except with no left flank or center at all :black101:

Grab as many Wyldwoods as you can cram in. They'll protect your dudes, gently caress with the enemy if he tries to do magic too close to them and let you get across the board instantly.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

I realize you're being ironic (and it's some good poo poo), but movement trays could make this game much more palatable. I we want to avoid ever removing them from the tray (I sure do) then we need some more abstraction - imagine if by default models can only fight when they're in range or whatever, but then instead of physically moving them up with pile in moves a tray of minis just got a "piled in" marker, letting the whole thing fight in the next combat? Probably best to limit the number of minis in a single tray but poo poo that doesn't sound too bad.

After all, the PREMISE of AoS is just fine - quick, easy to pick up, scale-able minis game. Removing individual minis movement sure helps.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Xlorp posted:

Kurnoth hunters. Lots of kurnoth hunters. Scythes or bows.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
where would one find allegiance bonuses? I have heard people refer to them, but didnt see any for skaven, is there such a thing?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mr.Booger posted:

where would one find allegiance bonuses? I have heard people refer to them, but didnt see any for skaven, is there such a thing?

The Grand Alliance: Chaos book and Skaven Pestilens Battletome. The warscrolls included with models are all you need to field the unit but if you want allegiance abilities or battalion warscrolls you have to buy your faction/army books. Pestilens is the only Skaven clan with their own book for now.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Ah, okay. I have the GH, but didn't see much about it other than it was a thing. I will wait til there is a better skaven book, as pestilence was my Jam back in the day, but I am more partial to hordes of dudes and skyre atm.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

The rules themselves are not bad.

this is just a lie

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mr.Booger posted:

Ah, okay. I have the GH, but didn't see much about it other than it was a thing. I will wait til there is a better skaven book, as pestilence was my Jam back in the day, but I am more partial to hordes of dudes and skyre atm.

You might want to still get the chaos book then. You get Chaos Allegiance for undifferentiated Skaven if you want, and some batallions that might be good. I think the only Skryre allegiance ability (every unit must have Skryre keyword) right now is getting Stormfiends as Battleline so you don't have to move/manage a billion Clanrats.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

You might want to still get the chaos book then. You get Chaos Allegiance for undifferentiated Skaven if you want, and some batallions that might be good. I think the only Skryre allegiance ability (every unit must have Skryre keyword) right now is getting Stormfiends as Battleline so you don't have to move/manage a billion Clanrats.

Generals handbook has all the grand alliance allegiances.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Xlorp posted:

Shoot the skyfires dead, always. Kill those assholes and the big chicken.

Also kill the stupid birddude disc character

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Still a long way to go, but it is starting to look like a beetle!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

Looks great so far!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I already broke off the right rear soul-scrotum. Horrible placement for such a fiddly bit.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I did not realize it was a multi-scrotal model.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Good thing dwarves are bringing transports to AoS because I just got a special someone a sweet ride.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Has no neck, confirmed scruntal model.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

dexefiend posted:

I'm from Buenos Aelfes and I say murderkill them all!!!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

Grab as many Wyldwoods as you can cram in. They'll protect your dudes, gently caress with the enemy if he tries to do magic too close to them and let you get across the board instantly.

Roused by Magic is a hilarious side effect to have on a board covered with Wyldwoods. Which are actually d3 Citadel Woods placed 1" apart.
Dryad battalion led by Branchwraith who is toting Acorn of the Ages and can cast Verdant Blessing. Place in a bare spot in deployment zone and pop the Acorn on Turn 1. Realmroot to distract and try popping new forests. They're not meant to be attritional but they are the most expendable.
Kurnoth Hunter battalion with Spirit of Durthu for my actual hitting power, hunters = 2x shooty, 1x scythe. They're my artillery and General's bodyguard. Oaken Armor +1 save because why not.
Treelord Ancient as General with Silverwood Circlet and casting Treesong. Gift of Ghyran for non-dispellable regeneration in Hero phase.
Alliance Wyldwood for free
2 units of Tree Revenants - try to catch out must-whack melee targets.

It's a shtick worth running into the ground.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Black_Nexus posted:

Shoot the skyfires dead, always. Kill those assholes and the big chicken.

Also kill the stupid birddude disc character
Primary targets now assigned to:
2 Kurnoth hunter shooter units, 2 hunter killer Tree Revenant units

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

dexefiend posted:

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Xlorp posted:

Roused by Magic is a hilarious side effect to have on a board covered with Wyldwoods. Which are actually d3 Citadel Woods placed 1" apart.

hahaha those fuckers have the gale to charge 88 bucks for 3x3 tree stands. never change gw!

• Locked thread