Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/849423493498359809

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It will be the second Family First candidate, Lucy Gicuchi.

Quite apart from the nice rhyming name, she may no longer be eligible : You must have two members on the ballot to be a party, and the Ballot paper for South Australia 2016 was :

quote:

N FAMILY FIRST
DAY, Bob Family First
GICHUHI, Lucy Family First

Since Bob Day was ineligible to be on the ballot, then Family First shouldn't have been on the ballot as a party, and therefore there is no other party member to transfer the votes to...

What will happen first : This court case be resolved, or there's another federal election ?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

evilbastard posted:

Quite apart from the nice rhyming name, she may no longer be eligible : You must have two members on the ballot to be a party, and the Ballot paper for South Australia 2016 was :

Since Bob Day was ineligible to be on the ballot, then Family First shouldn't have been on the ballot as a party, and therefore there is no other party member to transfer the votes to...

What will happen first : This court case be resolved, or there's another federal election ?

This was dealt with in the High Court case, they aren't going to invalidate votes for him.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Hat tip to the man with the chin for bringing this to my attention

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
gently caress Bob Day.

The fall out from the RBA board announcement yesterday has been fascinating.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-04/reserve-bank-stuck-between-rock-and-hardplace-on-interest-rates/8415044

quote:

Reserve Bank stuck between rock and a hard place on interest rates ANALYSIS By business editor Ian Verrender Updated about 3 hours ago

Don't expect any movement in official interest rates for the foreseeable future, for the Reserve Bank has found itself trapped. Concerned by a deterioration in the jobs market, it would dearly love to chisel off another quarter of a percentage point in official rates. (Jobs and growth!) That, however, would only add fuel to an already flaming hot eastern states property market that in the past year has belligerently cast aside any attempt to come to heel. The statement that accompanied today's decision to keep rates on hold — the eighth month in succession — contained the usual bland language for which central bankers are renowned. It is a language of observation rather than comment, devoid of colour and emotion. But it is fair to say that issues are only ever raised if they are of concern or at least noteworthy. When it comes to jobs, higher unemployment and modest jobs growth were mentioned, a step up in the rhetoric from last month. Clearly a worry.

But it was housing, the topic du jour, where the statement really got down to business.

This time last year, the RBA was in total denial about the rapidly inflating east coast housing market, underway at that time for three years, despite huge price rises, and near record auction clearance rates. There are no such delusions now. And it today laid out the conundrum it is facing. Property prices are rocketing with rises of 19 per cent in Sydney and 16 per cent in Melbourne, along with solid gains in Hobart and Canberra, mostly driven by investors. It would dearly love to bring that under control, to stop household debt soaring in the stratosphere; debt that is far outpacing income growth. In ordinary times, it would lift rates a notch, perhaps even two. But there is a huge supply of units, estimated at around 150,000, about to hit the market within the next year or so.

Should the Reserve Bank choke off that investor demand, the apartment glut could trigger big price falls. That may help solve the affordability problem, but the fallout from a serious property market slump would tip us into recession.(Jobs and growth!) There has probably never been a more difficult period to be Reserve Bank governor, something Philip Lowe now must be acutely aware of. These are extraordinary times. It is now increasingly obvious that all the regulators — the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority and the Reserve Bank of Australia — are now furiously working in tandem behind the scenes to cool investor lending. So far, it hasn't worked. That's prompted the ASIC boss Greg Medcraft, who openly calls eastern states housing a bubble, to go on the front foot, warning about the perils of poor lending standards. That from a man who had a front row view of the American property market meltdown that caused the global financial crisis.

In the interim, the RBA is content to let the commercial banks do the heavy lifting, to pull back on property investor loans, although not too hard. The banks aren't complaining. After being told to restrict lending, they've now been given carte blanche to raise investor home loan rates out of the Reserve Bank cycle. And they're loving it. They've boosted margins, earnings momentum is back on track. They profited hugely by inflating the boom. Now they're making hay by helping rein it in.
That was the measured commentary. Out in the wilds of the track less fact less newscorpse mediascape we have Lowe being accused of having an activist agenda and being much more outspoken than his predecessor. Lowe has no choice but be activist he has been forced here by an inactive treasurer and Prime Minister. To continue the distraction Trampballs made an announcement about cracking down on the cash economy. What about the corporate tax avoidance economy? gently caress you you worthless poo poo smear.

Also refusing a sausage sanga at a barbee doesn't pass the pub test Malformed, so gently caress off and die or resign.

Ray Hadley on housing affordability this morning was straight up comedy. "Kids these days don't remember the era of 18% interest rates and how hard we had to do it...."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Showing support for something == Bullying those who don't support it.

Good to know every Christian wearing a cross has been bullying non believers since forever.

EDIT: :qq:

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 5, 2017

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Man, if Bob Day loses his seat outright and PHON gets a smackdown from the feds this would be a really great month

Woooooooah-oh, we're halfway there...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cartoon posted:

Ray Hadley on housing affordability this morning was straight up comedy. "Kids these days don't remember the era of 18% interest rates and how hard we had to do it...."
The repayments 18% on a loan back then is probably the same (maybe less) than what people are paying on the current loan rate.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I think someone crunched the numbers in The Conversation awhile back. Servicing an 18% loan at the time was not just cheaper than today, but far cheaper.

Or just ask Hadley why they didnt require 40+ year mortgages back then?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'll give Ray a tip, home loan rates have never been 18% for anyone that wasn't being blatantly ripped off and that crazy peak of 15-17% only ran from like 86-90 then cooled right off.

I'd rather buy a house for $200-300k and suddenly have to find cash to repay a doubled interest rate than pay $1m back from day one.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

Showing support for something == Bullying those who don't support it.

Good to know every Christian wearing a cross has been bullying non believers since forever.

EDIT: :qq:

I suspect Jesus wouldn't be happy about it.

https://twitter.com/lanesainty/status/849453518473883649

Why are conservatives so drat bad at humour?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ray Hadley in shock being unapologetically wrong scandal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
True blue Ray Hadleys bought their massive suburban homes for $12k in 1970 with free public transport, free education, proper public health, nationalised service provision and interest rates of 6-7%.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Nibbles! posted:

I think someone crunched the numbers in The Conversation awhile back. Servicing an 18% loan at the time was not just cheaper than today, but far cheaper.

Or just ask Hadley why they didnt require 40+ year mortgages back then?

http://theconversation.com/houses-arent-more-unaffordable-for-first-home-buyers-but-they-are-riskier-75130

The median house is more affordable now, but substantially riskier as a tiny rise in interest rates would lead to a significant rise in mortgage repayments.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The ABC posted:

A senior policy advisor to Queensland Opposition Leader Tim Nicholls has been "strongly counselled" for acting without authority in making a deal with Pauline Hanson's One Nation party.

Mr Nicholls' senior policy advisor, Peter Coulson, apparently made contact with Senator Hanson's chief of staff James Ashby of his own volition.

Details of a secret agreement became public when a phone hook-up between Mr Ashby and Queensland candidates was leaked to the ABC's Four Corners program.

In it, Mr Ashby is heard saying:

"I have an agreement with the Liberal National Party, I've made one commitment to them, one agreement and I'll be upfront with you — I've made a commitment that we will not go out there and slag them for the sake of slagging them.

He named the dealmaker as Mr Coulson, a principal advisor in Mr Nicholls' office, but Mr Ashby incorrectly referred to him as the chief of staff.

"Peter Coulson rang me this morning and reminded me of our agreement because he said to me 'we have been very kind to you and not slagged you off'," Mr Ashby said in the recording.

"But I also kindly reminded him if they choose to change that agreement, we have plenty of ammunition on their candidates as well, which pulled his head in a little bit."

Mr Nicholls' chief of staff is Gerard Benedet.

After Four Corners went to air, Mr Nicholls responded on Tuesday on social media denying those claims, saying his chief of staff had never spoken to Mr Ashby, had never met him, and did not know who he was.

However, further evidence emerged later on Tuesday in relation to the claims of a private deal between One Nation and the LNP ahead of the next Queensland election.

Mr Nicholls this morning issued further statement saying he only learnt that a staff member had contact with Mr Ashby through ABC News reports.

"This staff member was acting without authority and has been strongly counselled. I have publicly ruled out any deals with One Nation and I restate it again today," Mr Nicholls said

Dig up stupid.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Looks like someone has been whispering bad deals Hansons way (and it's not Ashby). Well that or Druery is trying to claim credit for poo poo that he has nothing to do with.

"I like to think of what I do in working against One Nation as a community service... My hand on their electoral throat squeezing the preferential life out of them," he [the preference whisperer] said.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Urcher posted:

http://theconversation.com/houses-arent-more-unaffordable-for-first-home-buyers-but-they-are-riskier-75130

The median house is more affordable now, but substantially riskier as a tiny rise in interest rates would lead to a significant rise in mortgage repayments.

That wasn't the one I saw, but maybe the other one just looked at raw dollars and not differences in earnings.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

ewe2 posted:

Most comedy is defying the status quo. Conservatism seeks to maintain it. There's also the whole punching up/punching down analogy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also they're largely incredibly loving dumb. Sure there are a few outliers, but they won't go into comedy, because they know there's no money there for conservatives.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

evilbastard posted:

gently caress Family First, but I hope the courts don't invalidate the whole party listing. Bob Day was clearly in violation of the rules but wiping out a whole bunch of peoples votes for FF would be dodgy as imo.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

ewe2 posted:

"Courteous = lead them around like cattle" okay.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

gently caress Family First, but I hope the courts don't invalidate the whole party listing. Bob Day was clearly in violation of the rules but wiping out a whole bunch of peoples votes for FF would be dodgy as imo.

They aren't going to.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Urcher posted:

The article also totally ignores that a 20% deposit has risen from one year of median income to two and a half years. It's getting to the point where the amount you need for even a minimum deposit is inflating faster than the ability to save for one - especially on top of rent and childcare.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Isn't the median wage today something like $38k

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Nibbles! posted:

Isn't the median wage today something like $38k

You know I think you're right. I calculated the article's 2017 wage figure from their figures of $4.7k being 69% of monthly before-tax, but on re-reading it that's the average wage.

gently caress.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Yeah, I think the average is like $55k but then the median is much lower.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
In 2013-14, the median gross household income was $80.5k, average was $107.2k. If we assume a significant number of dual-income households, this is pretty supportive of your 38k/55k individual figures.

Data from http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/6523.02013-14?OpenDocument

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The WA Libs have picked a Jeff Kennett staffer to review why they lost the election. Hilarity ensues.

quote:

The WA Liberals have appointed the head of a government relations firm to conduct a comprehensive independent review of the party's "dysfunctional" state election campaign, following last month's downfall of the Barnett government.

Liberal state director Andrew Cox has written to members informing them the review will be undertaken by Barton Deakin managing director John Griffin.

Party members, constituent bodies and campaign committees have been asked to make written submission to the review and have been told they "will be treated confidentially".

Mr Griffin has more than 30 years' experience as an adviser to Liberal governments in Canberra and Victoria.

He worked on the Victorian coalition's successful 1992 state election campaign before being appointed chief of staff to Jeff Kennett.

-------/---------

In his email to members, Mr Cox said the review would have five terms of reference:

* Analysis of the Liberal Party's term of government in the context of communications, narrative, policy delivery and policy development
* Analysis of the social, economic and political context of the period and its implications for the party
* Analysis of the relationship between the leader's office, the * parliamentary party and the Liberal Party and how that relationship impacted on the election result
* A review of campaign preparations, the election campaign, the campaign techniques and strategies of our opponents and lessons for other campaigns, including the next federal election campaign in Western Australia; and
* Recommendations for the conduct of the coming period in Opposition, with an emphasis on the essential steps needed to secure the earliest possible return to government

A little-known fact is that both ALP and Lib PR firms are mostly owned by the one company, STW Communications. John Griffin was Kennett's chief of staff for 5 years and finished with that in 1997, so long ago I can't dig up much about the circumstances, except that he "resigned to to establish his own business consultancy". More on STW here, from when it used to be called STW Group.

The tl;dr from all this though is PR people are trying to fix the message and not the party, so it'll all be for nothing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ewe2 posted:

The WA Libs have picked a Jeff Kennett staffer to review why they lost the election. Hilarity ensues.

A little-known fact is that both ALP and Lib PR firms are mostly owned by the one company, STW Communications. John Griffin was Kennett's chief of staff for 5 years and finished with that in 1997, so long ago I can't dig up much about the circumstances, except that he "resigned to to establish his own business consultancy". More on STW here, from when it used to be called STW Group.

The tl;dr from all this though is PR people are trying to fix the message and not the party, so it'll all be for nothing.

"No, no the problem isn't with us. It's the rest of the world that's wrong."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Urcher posted:

This is rough as guts and I had to interpolate some data points where I couldn't find info so don't take this as gospel, but it shows kind of what I expected it to show. 1990 is a massive outlier and people are right to complain about housing affordability.

Also note this is for Sydney only and for Average not MEDIAN wage which is a pretty huge difference. From memory it was average wage 80k Median wage 55k, however I couldn't find any historical median wage data.

EDIT: Beaten on average and median above.

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 5, 2017

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

hooman posted:

This is rough as guts and I had to interpolate some data points where I couldn't find info so don't take this as gospel, but it shows kind of what I expected it to show. 1990 is a massive outlier and people are right to complain about housing affordability.

Also note this is for Sydney only and for Average not MEDIAN wage which is a pretty huge difference. From memory it was average wage 80k Median wage 55k, however I couldn't find any historical median wage data.

EDIT: Beaten on average and median above.

Left axis is the average new-purchase mortgage repayment as a fraction of average gross individual income?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Night Shade posted:

Left axis is the average new-purchase mortgage repayment as a fraction of average gross individual income?

Yes.

*hits self with huge stick with "LABEL YOUR AXES" written on it*

Again it's very rough, doesn't take into account compounding or anything else.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

label your axes

Jesus should not have taken the wheel

Quantum Mechanic fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 5, 2017

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

'Irreversible consequences': Adani coalmine granted unlimited water access for 60 years posted:

Adani’s controversial $21bn Carmichael coalmine has been granted an unlimited 60-year water licence in what environmental and legal groups say is another example of governments giving the company special treatment.

The associated water licence, signed by a Queensland government representative the day after Cyclone Debbie tore through the state’s north, allows Adani Mining to take water from or near the Betts Creek formation when removing or draining water from the mine.

The licence acknowledges this will “have an impact on the underground water levels in the region of the mine” both during and after the planned Carmichael coalmine’s years of operation.

“Certainly the severe implications are that if the groundwater is taken, then it’s not available for other more long-term or sustainable uses,” said Jo-Anne Bragg, the chief executive and solicitor at the Environment Defenders Office Queensland. “This would be an irreversible serious consequence of these enormous coalmines.”

Adani’s permit is valid through to 2077 and its 100 conditions provide no volumetric limits on the amount of groundwater, or any triggers to halt mining operations. It rather requires Adani to monitor the effects of its project on water levels and respond with “make-good agreements” with any affected landholders.

Environmental and legal groups said that would potentially be too late to reverse any damage caused to the region’s farms and land titles. “Our experience is that this is no substitute for sustainable water resources for landowners,” Bragg said.

“There’s an issue about whether this controversial company will even be in existence to honour make-good agreements over that time and practical issues such as where the water would be supplied from.”

An accompanying environmental impact statement reportedly includes a prediction from Adani that by 2029 it will be drawing 26m litres of water a day, and about 355bn litres over its lifetime.

A campaigner at the Australian Conservation Foundation, Basha Stasak, said: “The primary concern is that there are no trigger thresholds or, if you prefer another word, impact thresholds, which require a cessation of mining.

“The concerns we have is that even at the levels they’re saying they need it’s not clear what the impacts would be.”

Stasak said it was concerning the process was “obscure and opaque”.

“Best practice should certainly be addressing some very clear standards around what the impacts will be and being very clear on how they are mitigating against them … and where the risks are too high,” Stasak said.

“At minimum Adani should be required to play by the same rules as everyone else and not be given special treatment. We are not talking best practice we are talking minimum standard.”

Adani’s water licence is not subject to the scrutiny measures brought in with amendments to Queensland’s Water Act last year.

Under its exceptions, the company is not required to take public submissions or appeals, which Bragg also described as “special treatment”, given that other proposed mines – including the much smaller the New Acland project – are bound by the requirements.

“They lobbied politicians from all parties in Queensland to have a special case made for Adani Carmichael, even though other Mega Galilee mines … do need to have public submissions and appeals,” she said.

“Really it’s just shocking that the Queensland community won’t have an opportunity on the merits to scrutinise this associated water licence with groundwater experts and point out the weaknesses in this licence.”

Ariane Wilkinson, a lawyer from Environmental Justice Australia, said there were also other areas of concern, including the lack of any need under Queensland’s Environmental Protection Act for the government to consider the history of Adani and its related companies’ alleged foreign environment law offences.

“It goes completely under the radar,” Wilkinson said. “In Australia Adani has not demonstrated that it can comply with environmental laws and regulations while embarking on a project of anything like the size and scale of Carmichael.

“In India Adani has taken on projects of this scale and risk and we know that it has been found guilty of serious environmental breaches and has a terrible track record in its home country.”

Queensland’s natural resources and mines minister, Anthony Lynham, defended the licence and said more than 100 of the 270 conditions on the project applied to groundwater.

“These safeguards will ensure that water resources are protected, and that this critical project progresses sustainably,” he said.

Lynham said the licences provided Adani with about 1% of what farmers are now able to use in the Burdekin catchment, and that Adani has to pay about three times what farmers do to use surface water.

“This project has been through extensive scrutiny by state and federal governments,” he said. “The community and many of these groups have had their say, many times.”
can't wait to see the lnp cruise back into power on the back of the inevitable reprisal against the government
and then see the alp cruise back into power on the back of the inevitable reprisal against them when the lnp proceeds with identical policies
and then see the lnp cruise back into power on the back of the inevitable reprisal against them when the alp proceeds with identical policies
and then see the alp cruise back into power on the back of the inevitable reprisal against them when the lnp proceeds with identical policies
and then see the lnp cruise back into power on the back of the inevitable reprisal against them when the alp proceeds with identical policies

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Signed the day after a cyclone. :thumbsup:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Where can you buy those rings, anyway?

I like that 1990 and 2010 are both accurate to 6 significant figures.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

hooman posted:

*hits self with huge stick with "LABEL YOUR AXES" written on it*

Heh.

Just goes to reinforce what I said earlier, the issue with housing affordability isn't the repayments, it's the massive pile of cash you need to somehow scrape together so you can start making them in the first place.

To be fair to the article author, the point he makes about risk of shifting interest rates being higher than ever is also a significant concern.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Ironically the LNP will suck Adani dick even harder while QLDers cry for lack of alternative while ignoring the greens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

Ironically the LNP will suck Adani dick even harder while QLDers cry for lack of alternative while ignoring the greens
A realistic alternative you muppet.

• Locked thread