Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

TheCenturion posted:

Also, mad props on Momma Oleg dropping some truth bombs on how to survive.

I really wasn't expecting them to bother giving her any depth. Up to this point she'd just been an annoying plot device who makes things happen by crying. Her little reveal instantly gives context to her emotional frailty with regard to her son's death and her remaining son's safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Lotus 1-2-3 :v:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Both parents just being mindfucked that Henry is good at math. :lol:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Oh holy gently caress the likelihood that someone Turned Henry is getting more and more likely every episode :stare:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There's no way Henry is still in middle school

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Oleg, I have brought you these three lovely ladies in the hopes that you will pick one of them and maybe forget about Nina."

e- Oh poo poo, the lab tech died for nothing. :stonk:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 5, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- Oh poo poo, the lab tech died for nothing. :stonk:
Of course the lab guy died for nothing, that was pretty much a given. Still quite the horrible realization for Phillip. Though he's killed innocent people before.

If we're done with Mischa that was a little anti-climactic for the character, but not the impact it'll have on Gabriel I'm guessing.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I don't think we're done with Mischa. He didn't fly all the way to the US just to meet an old man who's telling him to shut up and go home. I don't think he's going to go home quiet and willingly, and Gabriel can't exactly kill him+fold him up into a suitcase and send him home that way.

I mean, he could, but it might cause some blowback.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

I don't think we're done with Mischa. He didn't fly all the way to the US just to meet an old man who's telling him to shut up and go home. I don't think he's going to go home quiet and willingly, and Gabriel can't exactly kill him+fold him up into a suitcase and send him home that way.

I mean, he could, but it might cause some blowback.

Due to the Violence warning for this episode, I kept expecting Mischa to possibly stab Gabriel on the park bench, which would lead to his arrest and exposure.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
I really like Noah Emmerich directed episodes

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

CBJSprague24 posted:

And the show somehow plausibly setting it up (if even by accident) between him playing stratomatic with Stan and his interest in computers and games. This show is just too good.

And have we ever gotten the exact age/grade difference between Paige and Henry? Because ya it feels as if he should be a freshman by now. Paige is probably 17 right? Between driving lessons past season and Matthew being a bit older and about to head off to college. Maybe Paige repeated junior year.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Olegs dinner was pretty amazing. How awkward.

Zero One posted:

I will not buy this record, it is scratched.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Poor Mischa. Came all this way to be turned away by some random old man. Time to be recruited then I guess.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
drat, what a good episode and directed by Stan. I can't believe we're already almost halfway through the season. And welp, guess you guys were right about the wheat/pest thing. Good call.

After-sex "Do you want to hear about Lotus 1-2-3?" was the best. Didn't realize it was also the title of the episode.
Parent-teacher conference was amazing, and as Sepinwall put it: "And with this one subplot, the show has cleverly turned its own marginalization of Henry into a feature, not a bug."
Lol Romancing The Stone.
The Oleg Dating Game was great and those were three very coincidentally attractive Russian ladies.
At this point I feel like Paige might kill herself.
Didn't realize Phillip had still been going to EST this whole time. Too bad we didn't get rear end in a top hat-from-the-bar-in-Good Will Hunting though.
Phillip's grey beard get-up was one of the craziest ones yet. When they first showed him from the side in the car I had no idea who it was until they showed his face and even then he wasn't very recognizable. Apparently Matthew Rhys calls this one the "Sigmund Freud".
God drat was that Mischa and Gabriel scene sad. Just sad, sad, sad.

Between guy-in-the-lab and what might happen (and has already happened that Phillip doesn't know about) with Mischa, I think Phillip's gonna break. And I'm starting to think the Center might finally put a kill order on Phillip in the future.

Pontius Pilate posted:

And have we ever gotten the exact age/grade difference between Paige and Henry? Because ya it feels as if he should be a freshman by now. Paige is probably 17 right? Between driving lessons past season and Matthew being a bit older and about to head off to college. Maybe Paige repeated junior year.

If Matthew was in Algebra 1 and now Algebra 2, then I'd say it's most likely he's a Freshman in High School.

vvv Well that answers that I guess. Must be 8th grade.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 5, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Longbaugh01 posted:

If Matthew was in Algebra 1 and now Algebra 2, then I'd say it's most likely he's a Freshman in High School.

The building they walk out of says "Falls Church Middle School."

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos

TheCenturion posted:

Mark my words, they're going to find out that the midges are for testing pest-resistant crops, cuz the US is trying to be helpful, and it's going to rock Elizabeth, if not shatter her.

Good call

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
She didn't look too shattered, though.

"That's okay, honey...from now on *I'll* wear the killin' pants."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 5, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CBJSprague24 posted:

By far the best part of the episode. Need to improvise during spy stuff? No problem. Henry is good at math? OH poo poo KEEP YOUR COOL

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
He's smart, comfortable being sneaky, etc. God drat, they picked the wrong kid.

Hell, they could've pawned Paige off on the church entirely.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This just confirmed that Henry is KGB. He's poo poo at math, he just found some kompromat on the teach. And all the time hanging out with "Chris" and at the mall are just covers for killing and torturing folks.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

This episode was just one gut-punch after another.

I love how on-point the writing is for Paige. Everything she does and says really feels and sounds like teenage poo poo. Like real teenage turmoil. When she spent all day in bed after her parents' first reveal; when they found her sleeping in the closet; just now when she said maybe she's just meant to be alone.

Phillip's reaction to the news about the crops was genuinely uncomfortable to watch. Rhys' acting and Emmerich's direction were on point. Also Elizabeth trying to empathize with his anguish and falling short.

And the scene with Mischa and Gabriel. "Not here." gently caress

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Phillip's reaction to the news about the crops was genuinely uncomfortable to watch. Rhys' acting and Emmerich's direction were on point. Also Elizabeth trying to empathize with his anguish and falling short.

Yeah that was devastating. Philip was all the way back in thinking he was protecting the Soviet Union from a biological attack, and now he finds out it was all bullshit, he killed some innocent lab dope, and once again has been doing awful poo poo for no good purpose.

He's gonna be such a mess.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I've been seeing ads for Patriot, which is on Amazon Prime Video. Anyone watching it? Would a fan of The Americans like Patriot?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Accretionist posted:

I've been seeing ads for Patriot, which is on Amazon Prime Video. Anyone watching it? Would a fan of The Americans like Patriot?

It's not like The Americans, but I've heard people here and elsewhere say it's great and their favorite show of the year thus far. I know it's definitely on my list to watch.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Started the pilot. It's great. Very different, though.

Edit: It's like if The Americans were a decent comedy.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 6, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Accretionist posted:

You'll never look at a suitcase the same way again.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You'll never look at a suitcase the same way again.

Not like followers of The Americans did in the first place.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Doctor Butts posted:

Not like followers of The Americans did in the first place.

Or followers of Mad Men.

"That's what the money is for!"

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Longbaugh01 posted:

Or followers of Mad Men.

"That's what the money is for!"

Best episode.

Or bowling bags and The Sopranos. The Americans suitcase scene reminded me very much of that.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Accretionist posted:

When you finish the season of Patriot, that "decent" will change to "transcendent".

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

If (when? probably "when") Philip finds out about Mischa and his handlers keeping it from him, it's going to be a loving bombshell of an episode.

e: especially since there's no way Mischa isn't in a world of poo poo

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
That was one of the best episodes they've done. Please give Matthew Rhys an Emmy. He loving goddamn deserves it. I've been rewatching the scene where Elizabeth tells him the truth, and it is still amazing.

edit: Also, his scene with Paige.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Nah, I got it backward. Elizabeth didn't seem to care all that much. "We'll be more careful. Still, we shouldn't be DROPPIN' BAHDIES anyway; bad tradecraft."

Kudos to the art and direction team; from having the guts in this day and age to just have a long, still shot of two people staring at one another to the vintage McDonalds containers. I've said it before, I'll say it again: this show is my childhood.

I couldn't help but notice the TV in this one shot when E comes home. Period accurate, but any one of the monitors hooked up to my computer is bigger.

Crappy picture chat: Let this be a lesson: resize, *then* add text.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm surprised the mantle is deep enough to fit a tube TV.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That is a bedroom/extra TV not a family TV. I'm old so I remember those days and everyone would have had 27" Sears Floor Console sets by 1985 and nobody was putting tv's above fireplaces yet.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Keyser S0ze posted:

That is a bedroom/extra TV not a family TV. I'm old so I remember those days and everyone would have had 27" Sears Floor Console sets by 1985 and nobody was putting tv's above fireplaces yet.

Nah, I remember having quite the tiny one in the living room. I used to love going to visit Grandma because she had one of the larger floor models. Complete with an antenna on a rotor. Three whole channels. Luxury!

Ah, the 80s. Saturday morning cartoons. Star Trek reruns on CKVR. Getting our very first Betamax player. Not knowing if you were supposed to hit 'stop' before 'rewind.' Atari 2600 and Coleco Vision. I adored my 64, my Commodore 64. I could write with it, paint with it, telecommunicate with it, my Commodore 64. Also, I didn't want to grow up, I was a Toys-R-Us kid.

'85 would have been when the NES hit America, as I recall. If we don't see Henry playing Duck Hunt at some point, it'll be a tragedy. Also, Lazer Tag, in 1986. The original Worlds of Wonder Lazer Tag. Which also had a Saturday Morning Cartoon. Tom Clancy novels which talk about the super secret NavStar guidance system which nuke subs used to triangulate their positions so as to accurately launch nukes. Now we use it to play Pokemons.

Microprose simulations.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Yeah this show is also very much part of my childhood. I even grew up right outside of D.C. as well but in Maryland. (Yes I know they don't actually film there.) The T.V. when I was a kid had like 12 push buttons for channels and, volume, and on/off, and I think a dial for UHF channels or something. Plus the built-in bunny ear antenna of course.

Another show that is also very much part of my childhood: Halt And Catch Fire. There's scenes in that having to do with the original NES that slayed me with nostalgia.

TheCenturion posted:

DROPPIN' BAHDIES

Someone watches Arrow. :v:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TheCenturion posted:

the vintage McDonalds containers.

That was probably a fun day for the props department.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think it is amazing that they were able to find late 70's early 80's American cars that were in such good condition. Understandable they couldn't get hood ornaments for all the Oldsmobiles.

Except for that Camaro, which looks a little beat up.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My goony dad got us an Odyssey2 with all the knock off games instead of the much much more popular Atari or Intellivision and all my friends made fun of me.

He meant well though. :smith:

• Locked thread