Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Voyager is the spaghettios of Star Trek

I love spaghetti-os and Voyager is the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FabioClone posted:

Boyardee was Riker the whole time.

I'm imagining every instance of "Chef" in the scripts being replaced with "Chef Boyardee" as the crew praises his wonderful cooking.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm imagining every instance of "Chef" in the scripts being replaced with "Chef Boyardee" as the crew praises his wonderful cooking.

missed product placement imo

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
I'm watching DS9 for the first time and it is loads better than that awful voyager.

Remember "year of hell" in voyager? Yeah, DS9 does that for like a season.

TNG is still the best though because of Worf saying "HE IS A BORG!" all teary eyed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I love spaghetti-os and Voyager is the best!

Voyager really nails its target demo then

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

I'm watching DS9 for the first time and it is loads better than that awful voyager.

Remember "year of hell" in voyager? Yeah, DS9 does that for like a season.

TNG is still the best though because of Worf saying "HE IS A BORG!" all teary eyed.

Year of Hell was supposed to be a season, but Rick Berman hated the idea of continuity. Can't let those idiot viewers watch an episode that references previous events, they might get confused!

What do you mean "Stargate SG-1?" The Kurt Russel movie?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
how dare someone remove Voyager from the thread title

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Year of Hell was supposed to be a season, but Rick Berman hated the idea of continuity. Can't let those idiot viewers watch an episode that references previous events, they might get confused!

What do you mean "Stargate SG-1?" The Kurt Russel movie?

Meanwhile, a fuzzy manipulative, abusive pedophile is p cool by Berman's standards.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Star Trek: A Briefing With Neelix

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

how dare someone remove Voyager from the thread title

Something magicked Voyager a few thousand light years further along towards home, so all we have left is a case of replicated Spaghetti-Os that they traded to us for some antimatter.

But don't worry, I'm sure there are still plenty of Kazon around to keep Voyager company wherever they ended up, despite how little sense that makes.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Would kill to see an mspaint animation of star trek voyager made by foruma poster/vaporware superstar cboyardee

Like dilbert 2 but janeway

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
"Computer, make a chef that is capable of defeating Data"

*holodeck creates sentient Boyardee*

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Ross Perowned posted:

"Computer, make a chef that is capable of defeating Data"

*holodeck creates sentient Boyardee*

Data can't taste, so Guy Fieri can defeat him.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MrJacobs posted:

Data can't taste, so Guy Fieri can defeat him.

Data can taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok5l26Fs0LI&t=15s

:colbert:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

spaghetti-o's are actually NOT chef boyardee

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
There was a kid at my school with hearing aids and he said kids used to call him Deaf Boyardee idk if he liked Star Trek or not

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0XdRxSHVKg

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm staying in a cheap hotel on the suburban edge of a rotting postindustrial American town tonight, and the elevator is the worst smelling elevator I have ever encountered in my life, and that's probably what all the turbolifts smell like on Voyager.

You sure that's not you? It's just I'd imagine that someone who feels the need to join an online discussion about Star Trek so they can say they don't like Star Trek probably smells pretty bad.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

There was a kid at my school with hearing aids and he said kids used to call him Deaf Boyardee idk if he liked Star Trek or not

that kid was me and ive killed everyone who called me that except for you

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Sunswipe posted:

You sure that's not you? It's just I'd imagine that someone who feels the need to join an online discussion about Star Trek so they can say they don't like Star Trek probably smells pretty bad.

Oh, I like Star Trek.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

kids are mean

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There was a dead (deaf!!) kid at my school who sometimes wore a star trek shirt with the TOS enterprise on it. We all called him Banana Nose because he had a big brown birthmark covering a lot of his nose. Everyone was scared of him because he was super violent, but he was probably super violent because kids treated him like a scary monster.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 4, 2017

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Well yeah he was a loving zombie of course he was violent what did you expect

that wasn't a birthmark that was decomposition

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
these mirror universe enterprise episodes were the only good mirror universe episodes ever

also better than any episode of voyager

pomery
Oct 19, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Voyager is the spaghettios of Star Trek

New thread title?

pomery
Oct 19, 2016

True, but sometimes hilarious as well

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
one of the better episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAVFOVgwBrY

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
just chilling out with TOS in the background while I post dumbshit and I hear

"Charming Negress"

drat I forgot about ol Honest Abe being in TOS

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

It's as if my fanfictions have been made flesh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Fury;

Tuvok comes before Janeway, who launches into a stern and angry tirade of learning his "secret" after sifting through "teraquads of data" and goes on about knowing him for twenty years and all the things they did together like he's committed some deep act of betrayal. Tuvok has the expression of someone who knows they are deeply hosed and just waiting to see what they're going to be executed for.

The reveal is that it's his birthday, and she replicated him a cake.

It could've come off as jovial or light-hearted, except Janeway's tone made it sound like she was about two seconds shy of pulling a phaser and shooting him. And Tuvok's expression implying he thought the same thing. Also how the gently caress do you know someone for 20 years, as one of your most closest friends, and not learn their birthdate until now? :psyduck:

Anyway the actual plot is an old and very aged Kes somehow turning up in a shuttle about 35,000 lightyears from where they last saw her. After requesting permission to come aboard, which she's granted, she instead just slams her ship into the hull before transporting aboard and walking with a stern expression through the corridors while they explode behind her with PSYCHIC FURY (To be fair, it's actually a pretty good set of special effects watching the corridor rip apart behind her, even with an angle shot of loving up a couple of security officers dumb enough to shoot her.). Her end-goal is to walk into engineering, lay hands on the Warp Core... and go back in time to about two months after Voyager first came to the Delta Quadrant. It kills B'Elanna in the process with a stray discharge of wavy :techno: lightning but who cares, we're back in time at one of TWO key story events in the show (the other being Seven joining the crew after Scorpion).

Kes disguises herself as her past self (give-or-take a few extra noticeable kilos), and past-Tuvok somehow gained future-knowledge because the past Voyager couldn't possibly handle a story on its own. Turns out Kes' objective is to turn Voyager over to the Vidiians because THEY LEFT HER BEHIND! :qq: and in exchange for sending the Vidiian's Voyager's technical specifications she wants safe passage back to Ocampa with her past self (who also mysteriously looks several years older than she did in season 1...) Incidentally; Tuvok's foreknowledge of the future will have absolutely zero impact on the episode's resolution that couldn't be figured out by basic logic and a tricorder.

When the Vidiians rock up in a cruiser and start grappling onto the ship, we actually get some pretty decent external shots of the crew's technobabble managing to detach one of the grapples, while deciding "gently caress it" and pulling away at Impulse speeds so a section of the hull gets ripped off to get rid of the other grapple (and actually animating an external shot of doing so, no less!). The final showdown between Janeway and Kes could've been interesting if Jennifer Lien could actually act, but instead it's just Stilted. Acting. instead of decent psychotic rambling that ends with Janeway unceremoniously shooting her. It also means Janeway and Tuvok have had foreknowledge of Seven of Nine and Naomi Wildman, as the crux of the episode finale is having Past-Kes make a holo-recording for old Kes when time comes round again.

Her rampage in the present is stopped by a holographic recording of her past-self reminding Kes she left Voyager of her own free will, and she leaves the ship peacefully because oh yeah she made that recording and simply forgot about it instead of making any effort to keep from going crazy thanks to her foreknowledge of going crazy. She didn't just go home before now because they wouldn't accept her, but okay maybe they will take her back so she's going to Ocampa now after all. It also had that holographic recording play in Engineering, when it's been a big argument throughout the show's run that they never could get emitters working right outside of Sickbay. And underlines the creepy levels of Ocampan aging when she's at most 6 or 7 and looks about 60-70 years old.

It actually almost comes close to being an outright-good episode... except it relies heavily on Jennifer Lien being able to portray anything other than a calm semi-tranquilized tone of voice.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fury;

Tuvok comes before Janeway

Holy poo poo, phrasing.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also how the gently caress do you know someone for 20 years, as one of your most closest friends, and not learn their birthdate until now? :psyduck:

One of the running gags is Tuvok has never told anyone how old he is, or when his birthday is. There's a cold opener or two where the crew tries to guess it.

How the gently caress do I know this. I loving hate myself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

One of the running gags is Tuvok has never told anyone how old he is, or when his birthday is. There's a cold opener or two where the crew tries to guess it.

How the gently caress do I know this. I loving hate myself.

That's because most of them have known Tuvok for all of the time they've been in the Delta Quadrant. Janeway's known him for going on twenty years and they keep making a big deal about the two being very close friends. If anyone'd know, it'd be her.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i just watched hte episode where tuvok was on sulu's ship and it was basically the part from the fifth movie. I mean I didn't finish it but it seemed like a neat idea like a lot of voyager.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i just watched hte episode where tuvok was on sulu's ship and it was basically the part from the fifth movie. I mean I didn't finish it but it seemed like a neat idea like a lot of voyager.

That one was their 30th anniversary episode and could've been interesting if it was centered on Sulu's ship instead of Voyager for most of the runtime. George Takei's also completely wasted, as he's used as background scenery instead of anything relevant to the plot.

DS9 did Trials and Tribbleations.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 5, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That one was their 30th anniversary episode and could've been interesting if it was centered on Sulu's ship instead of Voyager for most of the runtime.

DS9 did Trials and Tribbleations.

yeah the sulu poo poo got dropped quick and I stopped watching after they moved past that. Lol I didn't realize it was supposed to be a big "30th anniversary" thing. lol of course they wasted it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
like jesus loving christ Voyager is like 70% good ideas squandered, and the other 30 is holodeck or whatever poo poo

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

There was a dead (deaf!!) kid at my school who sometimes wore a star trek shirt with the TOS enterprise on it. We all called him Banana Nose because he had a big brown birthmark covering a lot of his nose. Everyone was scared of him because he was super violent, but he was probably super violent because kids treated him like a scary monster.

*sits solemnly at head of table of senior officers*

Now I cannot condone the actions of those children, and I may in fact even consider them regrettable, but we cannot interfere in the natural development of this banana nosed monster.

With respect Sir, I think you are confusing cause and effect.

Explain councillor.

Well, this so called monster, has anyone ever tried to reach out to him? It is highly likely that his violent response is a psychological protection mechanism he has taken on board to shield himself from their constant verbal attacks.

The act of calling him a violent monster is causing him to act like a monster you mean?

Exactly Captain. He is already suffering from interference, making him something he's not.

*pensive silence, senior officers exchange glances while captain looks thoughtful*

If there is even a chance that what you say is true. That this... Banana nosed person is no monster, but is made to feel the need to be one, then we cannot stand idly by.

*Senior officers exchange determined glances*

And perhaps... This has reminded us there are real monsters lurking in all of us. Dismissed.

Aaaaaand scene.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's because most of them have known Tuvok for all of the time they've been in the Delta Quadrant. Janeway's known him for going on twenty years and they keep making a big deal about the two being very close friends. If anyone'd know, it'd be her.

You'd figure Janeway would know how old he is and when his birthday is from his records if nothing else. Surely such basic information would be in them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Assuming she had his file. I mean he was a spy.