Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How's this DLC compared to Ashes? I was pretty displeased with the content and lore stuff in Ashes. I'm sure I'll buy it just to finish out the franchise, but I'm just wondering if I'll get more than 6-7 hours from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think its around 6-7 hours if youre gud and dont get stuck on a boss.
The new chime seems to make a paladin build more intresting, wondering if 40 faith is enough if you just want to use the healing and party buffs?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How's this DLC compared to Ashes? I was pretty displeased with the content and lore stuff in Ashes. I'm sure I'll buy it just to finish out the franchise, but I'm just wondering if I'll get more than 6-7 hours from it.

Its longer than Ashes but shorter than the Old Hunters. Probably around the length of a DS2 DLC, maybe a little more. Gameplay wise its a lot better. The areas are a lot more interesting in terms of both visuals and mechanics, and while the bosses are tanky they are all pretty well designed fights for the most part. There's no garbage like Champion's Gravetender. Also a lot of the new weapons and spells are cool.

But as for the story? Its a pretty poo poo conclusion to the series since it doesn't really answer any big questions that pertain to DS3. The story builds off Ashes of Ariandel more than anything. If you didn't care about the story of Ashes then this DLC's plot is going to feel incredible unsatisfying.

So its better than Ashes but I'd still put it lower on the list of Souls DLC. Not because its bad but because it had huge expectations set by being the final piece of Souls content that fell flat. Definitely worth playing still. Also some people think its the best DLC ever. The community is pretty split on it. So maybe you'll love it.

Iretep posted:

I think its around 6-7 hours if youre gud and dont get stuck on a boss.
The new chime seems to make a paladin build more intresting, wondering if 40 faith is enough if you just want to use the healing and party buffs?

40 faith is more than enough for the healing and buff spells. Note that those aren't affected by the miracle rings at all so you don't even have to dedicate more ring slots. If your faith is that high you might as well be using some of the utility miracles.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bombadilillo posted:

Anthing to do after I beat Slave Knight? Like the other dlc this just kind of runs out of poo poo to do. It doesnt end. I never wondered in previous games if I was done with a dlc. I spent 5 minutes running around the dunes and nothing.

okay, i wander through laser angels and a poison swamp because god drat we can't ever forget blight town can we, and then i fight a fire demon that's a basic bitch. next i do the exact same stealth section poo poo to run past ghost archers, find my way down to yet another loving swamp and kill a whole bunch of unrelated monsters - including another dragonslayer armor because gently caress it, why not - and wind up climbing the dragon bridge from every other Souls game because doing this poo poo once in High Wall wasn't enough to drive the point home that I AM PLAYING DARK SOULS! so after i dodge around dragon fire two or three times, i come out on a ledge where i can shoot the dragon in the butt, and i proceed to do so 131 times, and he dies and yields no souls or loot or anything. then i walk up the rest of the hill to a castle where i have to do a pvp fight which is weirdly staggered such that each opponent spawns in single-file until i have killed 4 (?) of them and the the scenario randomly stops. next i find some drowsy bitch that is important (?) to the plot but touching her turns the entire world into ash and then Gael becomes the bad guy and fights me across endless expanses of nothing. after beating him, i wander around an empty sand pit for ten minutes before i find one other side area where another random lady NPC shoots a lightning bow at me and blabbers about how she won't ever forgive me for doing a thing that happened (??) and then the DLC is done (???)

ladd never showed up again after the poison town area and he never kicked me down a well. the purple dragon just sat there while i shot it in the butt to death with a longbow, and once gael dies there's nothing indicating that i am done with the DLC, other than the fact that there's just nothing else to do in desert town.

what the gently caress?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Freaking Crumbum posted:

and he dies and yields no souls or loot or anything.
When has anything in Dark Souls ever died and not given you souls? Even if you kill Oscar in the opening of the first game you get souls.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oh nevermind, that guy probably wasn't Tallgeese, apparently there's a new invade boss rooms glitch out. Guess the guy wasn't hacking.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I was gonna co-op some spears and I got summoned, then the host summons two other sunbros and just had us fight invaders for a while then banished us. :iiam:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's baaaaaaack.

https://www.reddit.com/r/opensouls3/comments/63er07/boss_invasion_glitch_still_exist/

Did anyone ever figure out why these bizarre steps work? Sounds fake when you first hear about it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

RatHat posted:

It's baaaaaaack.

https://www.reddit.com/r/opensouls3/comments/63er07/boss_invasion_glitch_still_exist/

Did anyone ever figure out why these bizarre steps work? Sounds fake when you first hear about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwWSvReNcRM

quality pvp vid

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
The more I read this thread the more I am convinced some people just don't actually like Dark Souls but for some reason think that they do.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

AttackBacon posted:

The more I read this thread the more I am convinced some people just don't actually like Dark Souls but for some reason think that they do.

it's a long series and the games are pretty different at this point: go play ds3 for an hour and immediately boot up ds1 and ds2 after, even if you've played them recently. the games are v different. and let's not even start on demon's souls or bloodborne...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

AttackBacon posted:

Ah, the Star Wars phenomenon.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Minrad posted:

quality pvp vid

that's the obnoxious and way too lengthy video I was talking about earlier

seriously, if you're going to present a glitch, you don't need emotional backstory and a five minute montage of you abusing it in the arena

he's fighting one guy and losing despite using glitches, and figures "oh poo poo he DESERVES this", just because the guy was kicking his rear end without cheats

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jordbo posted:

seriously, if you're going to present a glitch, you don't need emotional backstory and a five minute montage of you abusing it in the arena

he's fighting one guy and losing despite using glitches, and figures "oh poo poo he DESERVES this", just because the guy was kicking his rear end without cheats

Dark Souls players are massive poo poo babies. My steam profile used to be filled with comments either telling me to kill myself, or just filled with arbitrary slurs because I killed people while in the bell covenant in 2.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

AttackBacon posted:

Nuebot posted:

Dark Souls players are massive poo poo babies.
:ms:

obviously not limited to :darksouls:, but it certainly tends to highlight the people with incredibly underdeveloped frustration management skills

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
The patch is out on the PC and it nerfed elemental infusions to the ground, my dark lothric knight sword went from ~300 dark damage down to 230 :negative:

e: looks like they lowered the int and fth scaling for elemental infusions across the board but raised the str and dex scalings. That does not seem very smart.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Am I tripping or is this hosed up game for broken people harder on the pic? I swear on PS4 half the enemies are in a union and on pc these pontiff cocsucking knights are bonewheels while the the firestaff guys just spam that poo poo nonstop

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Jordbo posted:

I think it's supposed to be funny?

Nuebot posted:

Dark Souls players are massive poo poo babies. My steam profile used to be filled with comments either telling me to kill myself, or just filled with arbitrary slurs because I killed people while in the bell covenant in 2.

They do that even if you lose. I've been invited to tons of you suck groups after dying to an invader while cooping. It's very strange.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

When has anything in Dark Souls ever died and not given you souls? Even if you kill Oscar in the opening of the first game you get souls.

Aldia doesn't give souls when he dies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Aldia doesn't give souls when he dies.

I never knew that, I've killed him like three times and never realized. Speaking of; apparently he has a cameo in the dreg heap somewhere? I must have missed it, where is it if anyone knows?

RoadCrewWorker posted:

obviously not limited to :darksouls:, but it certainly tends to highlight the people with incredibly underdeveloped frustration management skills

Not just that, but Dark Souls' online fanbase is a really weird feedback loop where you have impatient nerds streaming it and playing the game in the worst possible ways (constantly just crawling with the shield up, running around blindly or just flat out refusing to learn any of the gameplay mechanics) and then screaming about how the game is broken, just impossibly hard for the sake of being hard and other things which gets it this stupid reputation as being "the hardest game ever!1!!" so more people get it to stroke their ego, and become the elitist dark souls player base we know and hate, leading to more people to pick it up and stream it because it's easy views.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Small and Blue posted:

The patch is out on the PC and it nerfed elemental infusions to the ground, my dark lothric knight sword went from ~300 dark damage down to 230 :negative:

e: looks like they lowered the int and fth scaling for elemental infusions across the board but raised the str and dex scalings. That does not seem very smart.

What. Didn't the patch notes say they were making non physical infusions better?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

What. Didn't the patch notes say they were making non physical infusions better?

Maybe they got it backwards? Quick, check to see if they accidentally buffed the Paired UGS.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

RatHat posted:

It's baaaaaaack.

had this happen to me on a pretty good midir attempt. i wasn't too angry because he held back for most of the attempt (ps gently caress this boss has too much hp)

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Is that boss invasion thing exclusive to PC versions?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Someone fat fingered the new patch and it nerfed infusions for casters and buffed them for physical classes!

:eng99:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
pyromancers dont care at least since they already got the perfect pyro weapon from the dlc.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Iretep posted:

pyromancers dont care at least since they already got the perfect pyro weapon from the dlc.

Hell yeah we did boy.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

The "community manager" on reddit confirmed that the nerf on non-physical infusions was unintentional. "It was intended to slightly raise damage for casters, but there have been a miscalculation and it's not working as intended. It will changed again to the right values in the next patch."

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Which is?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gologle posted:

Hell yeah we did boy.

Which one?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jordbo posted:

The "community manager" on reddit confirmed that the nerf on non-physical infusions was unintentional. "It was intended to slightly raise damage for casters, but there have been a miscalculation and it's not working as intended. It will changed again to the right values in the next patch."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQeezCdF4mk

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

AttackBacon posted:

I like it. I liked the DLC. I liked DS3 the first few times I played it. I liked the last dlc.

My own personal Dark Souls cycle is to play the game just doing poo poo and then internet nerds with time and inclination explain to me the awesome plot of what the hell I just did. THAT was less satisfying in DS3 and this DLC, less interesting lore in my opinion.

But heres the thing about DS. The worst Dark Souls content is better then most other game. I still enjoyed the game, replayed it more then any other game since I was a kid. "That was not as good as DS2" I say and still replayed it 4 times and watched 10s of hours of youtubes on the lore. So the complaints about the game largely should be taken as "this is just good not best game of all time WTF".

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think ds3 is my favorite. They all have their own and different problems, but this one I really got interested in PvP and the lore before being introduced to finer points by other players.
I think the game and especially the dlc does a fantastic job of showing the decline and collapse of the world.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

Its real cool they brought back fan favorite PvP boss fight.

Its real real cool they for the first time since best in class DS2 let you reset a boss.

Still can't but be disappointed at the last souls content. Don't know how they were gonna live up to it. Slave gael bounding over the ash plains was really freaky, but not a capstone.

I truly have no idea what people wanted from this. I thought the game's ending is pretty pitch perfect (at least the proper ending, with the Firekeeper).

The true ending of Dark Souls is the conclusion of the Lapp quest.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The true ending is when you play it for the last time.

The Vilhelm guy in ariandel is practically breaking the fourth wall, because the only reason I'm pushing onward really is just curiosity. And it results in a lot of wanton death and destruction.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

SHISHKABOB posted:

The true ending is when you play it for the last time.

You jest but it is known that in the metanarrative people who give up playing the game before finishing it are the hollows you fight and the repeating cycles are people who constantly replay the game

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the true ending is when you stop playing the game and embrace the abyss by uninstalling. fear not the dark my friend and let the feast begin.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

So abyss is good now? From a human perspective? From a "I'm going to usurp the fire" perspective?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

true dark souls fans destroy their Blu-Rays of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lakbay posted:

You jest but it is known that in the metanarrative people who give up playing the game before finishing it are the hollows you fight and the repeating cycles are people who constantly replay the game
Vendrick is explicitly the latter which is funny to me