Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Truga posted:

looking forward to a bunch of sites having orange address bars on september 8th when this becomes mandatory and browsers start checking it

quote:

Relying Applications MUST NOT use CAA records as part of certificate validation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
huh, you're right. i missed that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

so what's the point

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

spankmeister posted:

so what's the point
certification authorities must check those records, browsers don't

e: i think the intent is that if all your certs are issued by diginotar, you put that into your zone. so if wosign then gets a csr for spankmeister.horse they'll know someone is trying to trick them and refuse to sign, even though someone wrote them a very convincing letter on your letterhead

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah when I actually bothered to read the introduction it made sense :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also, the best thing:

quote:

CAs MUST document potential issuances that were prevented by a CAA
record in sufficient detail to provide feedback to the CAB Forum on
the circumstances, and SHOULD dispatch reports of such issuance
requests to the contact(s) stipulated in the CAA iodef record(s), if
present. CAs are not expected to support URL schemes in the iodef
record other than mailto: or https:.

if someone tries to issue a cert for your domain but is prevented by caa, you get notified

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Daman posted:

in a competition like ictf a 1% difference is wholly attributable to being unlucky with their poo poo garbage infrastructure not scoring correctly one or two times.

it was a decent gamble, I wouldn't of thought their whole system was going to poo poo the bed just because you're doing under 100k connections either

e: also if you're not first you're last p much no other place matters

so… y'all broke the rules because you didn't think you'd be caught, and then sent a million emails protesting that you didn't break the rules enough

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Daman posted:

in a competition like ictf a 1% difference is wholly attributable to being unlucky with their poo poo garbage infrastructure not scoring correctly one or two times.

it was a decent gamble, I wouldn't of thought their whole system was going to poo poo the bed just because you're doing under 100k connections either

e: also if you're not first you're last p much no other place matters

smooth move you cheating idiot

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i remember a psychology study a while back that found that kids raised with "everyone gets a trophy because you're all winners!" did nothing for self esteem however it did train them that the only place that matters is first place and anything else is for losers

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ate all the Oreos posted:

i remember a psychology study a while back that found that kids raised with "everyone gets a trophy because you're all winners!" did nothing for self esteem however it did train them that the only place that matters is first place and anything else is for losers

kids raised with `everyone gets a trophy` are emotionally stunted because their parents couldn't handle losing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bonfire Lit posted:

certification authorities must check those records, browsers don't

e: i think the intent is that if all your certs are issued by diginotar, you put that into your zone. so if wosign then gets a csr for spankmeister.horse they'll know someone is trying to trick them and refuse to sign, even though someone wrote them a very convincing letter on your letterhead

except that wosign is gonna gently caress it up or not do it at all and still issue your cert. w/out client side enforcement its a stupid waste of time.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

except that wosign is gonna gently caress it up or not do it at all and still issue your cert. w/out client side enforcement its a stupid waste of time.

and then wosign gets murdered by google/mozilla/ms even harder i guess?

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

so… y'all broke the rules because you didn't think you'd be caught, and then sent a million emails protesting that you didn't break the rules enough

not a Russian, ictf has always been garbage run by academic sperglords. you only have it as a dc qual because it's like the only a/d ctf regardless of quality

last year they literally made everyone write their own challenges

lmbo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

so it's gonna get dropped. if symantec wasn't too big to fail, nothing is, lol

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

amidst a ton of broadcom vulns being publicly released by project zero there's a good part 1 of attacking their wifi stack https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/over-air-exploiting-broadcoms-wi-fi_4.html

very good read, punchline being broadcom having a MPU available and activated, but marking all memory as RWX

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fins posted:

very good read, punchline being broadcom having a MPU available and activated, but marking all memory as RWX

Yeah i laughed when I got there

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Shaggar posted:

the idea is forcing newly generated certs to abide by the DNS check without making all currently issued certs suspect - google and mozilla can still stop trusting certs from a CA independently of this

"client doesn't have to check the CA against the DNS record" is a simple enough workaround, can always update it later when all current certs have expired

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
specifying effective date ranges per CA in the DNS record would make client side enforcement doable.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Truga posted:

anyone posted about caa dns records yet? https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6844

looking forward to a bunch of sites having orange address bars on september 8th when this becomes mandatory and browsers start checking it

Nice.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

Shaggar posted:

specifying effective date ranges per CA in the DNS record would make client side enforcement doable.
currently the rfc specifies the allowed issuer by domain name, so even if you added a time constraint parameter to the issue/issuewild property, that'd require the browsers to ship with a huge table mapping the allowed issuer "symantec.com" to all 47 or w/e root certs they control

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

ate all the Oreos posted:

i mean duh

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bonfire Lit posted:

currently the rfc specifies the allowed issuer by domain name, so even if you added a time constraint parameter to the issue/issuewild property, that'd require the browsers to ship with a huge table mapping the allowed issuer "symantec.com" to all 47 or w/e root certs they control

sounds like the rfc is bad all around and should define a better mechanism for identifying CAs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also lol that that apparently means you have to allow Symantec and all their resellers instead of just one reseller.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
check out this thread https://twitter.com/kennethlipp/status/849464271104815104

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I need this in my life right now

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:munch:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol and all but why in the world would you touch cop poop.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wonder if the IP address gave the game away

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shaggar posted:

lol and all but why in the world would you touch cop poop.

gonna be tremendous when they start being this careless with armed rpvs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah but theres no scenario here that ends with "oh, thank you citizen for reporting this opsec failure! we will remedy this immediately!". you're going to jail for "hacking" even for a responsible disclosure.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

im so excited

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

and I just can't hide it

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/kennethlipp/status/849684722150256648

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

you're going to jail for "hacking" even for a responsible disclosure.

yep

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah that dude might as well be already dead if someone important has seen the twitter feed

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
there's some poo poo you don't touch

also

http://www.crn.com/news/security/30.../0/1?itc=hp_ots

quote:

Cylance was the fastest-growing private cybersecurity company in 2015, according to the 2016 Inc. 5000, with $11.1 million in revenue in 2015 and a 7,613 percent three-year growth rate. The company has also landed a huge amount of venture capital funding, including $100 million in Series D funding in June, one of the largest by any security company last year.

Sources told CRN last month that the company has struggled to meet its sales expectations. Cylance is a private company, so it does not have to disclose its sales and earnings numbers publicly.

Cylance partners said they weren't concerned about the company's outlook or the layoffs, with multiple partners saying their business through the company is still booming. One partner executive attributed layoffs to "unrealistic expectations" of growth for any startup company, rather than a lack of demand for its technology.

"They're still the fastest-growing company and are dwarfing other endpoint security vendors. You can only grow so fast. … It's all just about expectations. They're killing it," the partner executive said.

:tif:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

jre posted:

and I just can't hide it

ba da-da da-da *da da da da da da*

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

:stare:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
oh jesus the IP to that thing is in one of the videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

oh jesus the IP to that thing is in one of the videos.

:suspense:

• Locked thread