Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Dungeon crawl! Dungeon crawl!

:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
are these boys rowdy or nasty. this is an important distinction and we need to clear it up before you plung them at me

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

paranoid randroid posted:

are these boys rowdy or nasty. this is an important distinction and we need to clear it up before you plung them at me

They are rowdy nasty boys.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

hell id snap one, maybe two necks for the Heretics Court to get ahold of some professionals like that

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
I'll be happy if one of two things happen: either the party instant-teleports to the final boss room, subverting my expectations, or the comic engages in a scene-by-scene reënactement of the movie Cube (1997).

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Frog loving rekt the prince while getting murdered. I'm not sure it's possible to own someone harder.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Reene posted:

nobody is saying she's a dumb hapless helpless bimbo

we're saying she's mainlining spiritual amphetamines and as a result being insufferably, destructively aggressive in her dealings with other people which is working for now but absolutely will lead to a crash at some point because, as someone upthread pointed out, part of the thrust of the story is that ultimate power is achievable but ultimate power does not make people happy.

"destructively aggressive"? of the people around her, maybe Nyave would ever authentically be her friend. She's alone in a strange world full of people who want to rob her or use her as a battering ram to get rid of their enemies for them, and the only thing that's keeping her afloat and moving vaguely in a direction of her own choosing is everyone's lingering fear she might be a newborn Conquering King about to remake creation to her own whim. If she's weak, or indecisive, or unassertive, she goes right back to being the frail meaty wrapping around the most precious treasure in the multiverse. She's not going to be happy with ultimate power, but she doesn't actually want ultimate power; ultimate power was thrust on her and she just spent the last few chapters trying and failing to give it away to any taker, what she wants is to survive and rescue Zaid.

Incubus is using her, sure, but his plan is for her to take out the other demiurges for him, he's not sabotaging her ability to function effectively. His lever for controlling her is continued access to his magic mojo; it's not "spiritual amphetamines" it's 100% authentic concentrated heroine, and what you see in his pit is what happens to people who don't learn to be competent and self-actualized without it when he takes it away.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

Kind of getting weary about the "Allison should be a raging dumbass like Aesma all the time" stuff because I'm not interested in a character who is completely moronic the entirety of this comic.

i haven't read most of the discussion stemming from this post but i want to chime in and say i vehemently disagree with the entirety of this statement

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Can't wait to watch the gang evade some Temple Guards as they search for Molly Pitcher's Pitcher!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Janet Jackson is an interesting choice for who to make the soundtrack for your heist, but I'll take it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSLz0YYsJHA

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

Frog loving rekt the prince while getting murdered. I'm not sure it's possible to own someone harder.

It could go on, but that's beside the point.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

"destructively aggressive"? of the people around her, maybe Nyave would ever authentically be her friend.

hey man, at least Princess is upfront about being there to annoy Allison

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ElMaligno posted:

Or nasty rowdy fight lads.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

it's not "spiritual amphetamines" it's 100% authentic concentrated heroine

I just wanted to give this pun the appreciation it deserves.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

She's not going to be happy with ultimate power, but she doesn't actually want ultimate power; ultimate power was thrust on her and she just spent the last few chapters trying and failing to give it away to any taker, what she wants is to survive and rescue Zaid.
I don't think this is accurate anymore. Given her declaration to Incubus, I think it's fair to say she's embraced the role of Conqueror King.

But here's the thing - that doesn't mean she fails to understand what that entails. The argument that it won't make her happy doesn't hold water if that isn't what she wants. There's a lot of people who desire something other than happiness in the way it's being defined there. Plenty of people chose difficult, challenging, and in many ways unhappy careers because it fills some other need. And most of them know full well what they've done.

Allison has picked that path. She might be making a mistake in the sense that she's hurting her chances of success by being a prick. She isn't burning her good will out of ignorance. She's spending it on purpose. Unwisely, perhaps. In a way that makes her a terrible person, sure. But that's a fundamentally different critique than saying she'll regret losing the good will of her companions for its own sake.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

she's come to terms with that she's not going to get back to how things were before Zoss shoved that crap in her head and her choices are to own the role she was thrust into or be a slave to people who have blood-drinking testicle trees, she's still not particularly interested in ruling the cosmos per se but she's gonna make do with what she's got

otherwise yeah. as for what she actually wants, beyond the immediate 'bail Zaid out', I don't think she has the faintest clue

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 5, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

kill six billion demons: reach heaven through patience, prudence, and planning

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

If she's weak, or indecisive, or unassertive, she goes right back to being the frail meaty wrapping around the most precious treasure in the multiverse.

There is a middle ground between what she's doing now and being a limp puppet. Genuine self-confidence and self-actualization will not come from taking dumb shortcuts that do nothing but paper over her insecurities and allow her to temporarily ignore them, and that's exactly how it's been portrayed since Incubus Bowie first appeared.

what you see in his pit is what happens to people who don't learn to be competent and self-actualized without it when he takes it away.

That sounds like a lot of off-tone conjecture to me. Based on what we've seen and the additional text accompanying it, the implication is very much that the power Incubus offers is inherently destructive. We are seeing that play out right now and it's going to blow up in a big way.

Fortunately, she probably only loses an eye. Most people don't get off that lightly.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Reene posted:

There is a middle ground between what she's doing now and being a limp puppet. Genuine self-confidence and self-actualization will not come from taking dumb shortcuts that do nothing but paper over her insecurities and allow her to temporarily ignore them, and that's exactly how it's been portrayed since Incubus Bowie first appeared.

That sounds like a lot of off-tone conjecture to me. Based on what we've seen and the additional text accompanying it, the implication is very much that the power Incubus offers is inherently destructive. We are seeing that play out right now and it's going to blow up in a big way.

Fortunately, she probably only loses an eye. Most people don't get off that lightly.

look okay, i can quit the incujoose whenever i want. i'm in complete control here, i want this. i am self actualized. hey let's go shopping! let's go get some food! hey let's rob a bank!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

my drug dealer is a pretty cool guy, actually,

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Xarbala posted:

True. It's been making a strong case for noodles as an alternative to Royalty.

How about a compromise: conquer the universe, then get into the noodles business.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Reene posted:

So is Incubus also an idiot? He gambles his life and his whole little coup scheme on Allison being able to mess up the Demiurges and Jagganoth himself, and then he poisons her with stupidity that makes her incapable of doing anything effectively?

should've called it Dumb Six Billion Dummies imo

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Gnome de plume posted:

How about a compromise: conquer the universe, then get into the noodles business.

no no, you conquer the universe by franchising out your highly successful noodle brand

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

So is Incubus also an idiot? He gambles his life and his whole little coup scheme on Allison being able to mess up the Demiurges and Jagganoth himself, and then he poisons her with stupidity that makes her incapable of doing anything effectively?

should've called it Dumb Six Billion Dummies imo

I think he's banking on her lasting long enough to put a dent in his enemies then burning out and become a thrall like everyone else he's given soulmeth to before she turns on him.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Reene posted:

I think he's banking on her lasting long enough to put a dent in his enemies then burning out and become a thrall like everyone else he's given soulmeth to before she turns on him.

But she can make soulmeth herself since she has the full powered original key... Incubus is not thinking things through.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Reene posted:

my drug dealer is a pretty cool guy, actually,

mine always has to call like seventeen other guys who show up and who all need to also call seventeen other guys and next thing you know theres a noodle vendor somewhere in the mix and the Gilded Cage Guild is talking about setting up a franchise in my guest bedroom and I still haven't gotten my black glass

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AtomikKrab posted:

But she can make soulmeth herself since she has the full powered original key... Incubus is not thinking things through.

That'd take time and practice that she doesn't have to spare. The whole point of Incubus's deal is that he'll give her control over her power now.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Reene posted:

that's... pretty much, yeah. it really is an effective dose of confidence that gets poo poo done but then the people who used it as a shortcut to heroism can't function without it when it goes away. It's not magic stupid juice that's making Allison act stupid and high, it's an ersatz substitute for the kind of personal drive and magnetism she needs if she's to rival the demiurges, and the 'catch' is if she gets reliant on it instead of developing on her own she'll always need Incubus supplying her. He's her butt tree, now.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 6, 2017

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
basically Incubus is banking on the Rising King having the exact same frailties and foibles as his usual rando marks. and while all the people in this equation are merely human and can be laid low by dependence, Zoss didnt choose Allison for no reason.

Incubus is playing a real dangerous game and even he appears to realize it

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

basically Incubus is banking on the Rising King having the exact same frailties and foibles as his usual rando marks. and while all the people in this equation are merely human and can be laid low by dependence, Zoss didnt choose Allison for no reason.

I'm pretty sure Allison is "merely human" regardless of why Zoss criteria.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Incubus deliberately powered up Allison to destabilize the other demiurges so that Jagganoth can beat them. He even tells Jags that she has all the power of the old king. He just thinks that its more than likely she's not going to be able to become full on conquering king just by spirit meth.

Hell, I don't even think his spirit meth runs out. I think his thralls need him because they don't know how to achieve self-improvement without cheating.

e: Also, Allison has not improved at all. She still has all her self-hatred, and the moment she fails or feels not in control its going to come back with a vengeance. It's why she's been so touchy whenever someone is dubious about her new personality. To her ,the way she's acting is the best thing ever because she actively despises who she was before.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 6, 2017

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm pretty sure Allison is "merely human" regardless of why Zoss criteria.

yeah I'm saying she's got some X factor that Background Meth Addict #23 doesn't or else Zoss wouldn't have jammed a chunk of cosmic power into her skull

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

yeah I'm saying she's got some X factor that Background Meth Addict #23 doesn't or else Zoss wouldn't have jammed a chunk of cosmic power into her skull

That would honestly surprise me. I guess we'll find out, though.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm not suggesting that Allison has any, like, secret powers or anything, just that she might have the potential to be more strong-willed than the usual kind of yutzes that Incubus snares.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Reene posted:

It sounds like the comic itself is aware of the fact that she's gone to far towards the other extreme, and that she'll need to learn to how to balance out her personality in order to become the Rising King.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I'm not suggesting that Allison has any, like, secret powers or anything, just that she might have the potential to be more strong-willed than the usual kind of yutzes that Incubus snares.

Well, she has one thing to set her apart from everybody else: she's the protagonist.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

it's not "spiritual amphetamines" it's 100% authentic concentrated heroine

I just wanna say I appreciate this pun, and think it didn't get enough attention

White Coke
May 29, 2015

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

I just wanna say I appreciate this pun, and think it didn't get enough attention

Listen buddy, we all know about Erfworld.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's erfworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
its homestuck with creepy fetishistic stuff thrown in.

e: more creepy fetishistic stuff, rather.