Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Isn't Drake Haven just once per discard event, no matter how many cards are discarded?

Nah, the wording for that is 'whenever you cycle or discard one or more cards'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Drake Trial will make me play standard again

However, none of these cards seem interesting to me. It's like OGW levels of spoiler bad

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Yeah well would OGW have THIS

Finally we are saved. Graveyard Hate is finally here. All hail WotC.

Servicable yet depressing at best probably.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That's some really terrible graveyard hate.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Hahaha, graveyard hate that only hates on a card that already got banned out of the format

Everyone else is just gonna leave their walking ballista and evolving wilds, then cast a spell next turn to have delirium back already. Or they'll just keep their scrapheap scrounger plus a creature to feed it. Or they'll just keep the embalm dudes they were planning on bringing back.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I know they've been playing fast and loose with this ever since Alpha, but a statline of 2/2 still seems small for what's essentially (going by the art) a 20 foot tall stone golem

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Aw, look at those cute little scarves. :3:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Frozen_flame posted:

Well that's embarrassing. Sam is a terrible lead.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Jabor posted:

Or they'll just keep their scrapheap scrounger plus a creature to feed it. Or they'll just keep the embalm dudes they were planning on bringing back.

This also true also for basically any kind of graveyard hate short of Rest in peace, though.

Edit: my bad, I thought you were criticizing the reactive nature of the effect, but you were talking about the "I leave the choice to the opponent".

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 5, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Cast Out is STUPID powerful...

Frozen_flame posted:

This is exceptionally well designed for a format with Emrakul... It hoses Delirium without being too oppressive on GY's.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol that since they did away with core sets they can't reprint either of the best fair graveyard answers (Tormod's Crypt or Relic of Progenitus) because flavour.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It deactivates delirium, a 2/2 is eh. Not great but at least it is something.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Jabor posted:

Hahaha, graveyard hate that only hates on a card that already got banned out of the format

Everyone else is just gonna leave their walking ballista and evolving wilds, then cast a spell next turn to have delirium back already. Or they'll just keep their scrapheap scrounger plus a creature to feed it. Or they'll just keep the embalm dudes they were planning on bringing back.

Better yet, keep your Walking Ballista and one of the new split instant/sorcery cards and maintain delirium.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

End of Life Guy posted:

Better yet, keep your Walking Ballista and one of the new split instant/sorcery cards and maintain delirium.

Destined // Lead is awful, though, so it'd either have to branch out of GB or play a bad card.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Frozen_flame posted:

a 2 mana 2/2 with all upside, it's better then grizzley bears please BAN THIS CARD WOTC!!!!!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Finally, the gravehate nobody asked for.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Cast Out is STUPID powerful...

This is exceptionally well designed for a format with Emrakul... It hoses Delirium without being too oppressive on GY's.

This card wouldn't have been oppressive if it was tormod's bear. There is a good chance this isn't good enough to be played in constructed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mandatory lesbian posted:

a 2 mana 2/2 with all upside, it's better then grizzley bears please BAN THIS CARD WOTC!!!!!

It feels like it wasn't that long ago that they really were concerned about which colors could get even a vanilla bear at common. Am I misremembering or did Maro make a big deal about Walking Corpse when original Innistrad came out? Power creep!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

This card wouldn't have been oppressive if it was tormod's bear. There is a good chance this isn't good enough to be played in constructed.

It's definitely at least a SB card if Ishkanah is a thing in the next standard.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

It feels like it wasn't that long ago that they really were concerned about which colors could get even a vanilla bear at common. Am I misremembering or did Maro make a big deal about Walking Corpse when original Innistrad came out? Power creep!!

It took even longer for red to get one.
I can't even remember what it's called.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

It's definitely at least a SB card if Ishkanah is a thing in the next standard.

If the best-case for your sideboard card is answering half a card from your opponent, I think I'll stick to Kozilek's Return.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

i don't know if it was Maro specifically but someone had Walking Corpse as a preview card just because it was a black grizzly bear, i do recall that

and then the Red Grizzles was printed in SOI and no-one gave a care

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Standard showdown packs were too good.

https://wpn.wizards.com/en/event/standard-showdown-amonkhet

No more lottery cards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jabor posted:

If the best-case for your sideboard card is answering half a card from your opponent, I think I'll stick to Kozilek's Return.

Return is pretty bad in Standard if you aren't playing it with good ways to flash it back....

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

It took even longer for red to get one.
I can't even remember what it's called.

I don't think Red actually got a 1R 2/2 with no downside until Falkenrath Reaver in Eldritch Moon just last year.

Unless you count Frazzled Editor.

I think this Cat thing is actually technically the first colorless bear with no downside, if you count the symmetric effect on Runed Servitor and Eager Construct as a downside.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

No more lottery cards.

That's the only reason anyone played in those events though. Now is not the time to dial back on the incentives for people to play Standard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I opened a grand total of one of those packs and got a Spell Queller and a foil full-art Island, I'm quitting while I'm ahead.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They should go back to their quicker rotation plan...

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

quote:

What's Standard Showdown?

Starting May 6, you'll have the opportunity to schedule the most popular constructed format—Standard

lol just keep repeating that to yourself until it's true, WotC

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sickening posted:

No more lottery cards.

"Hm, these people paid a good amount of money to get those Standard rewards... Let's NOT do that any more!"

EDIT:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

lol just keep repeating that to yourself until it's true, WotC

It's easy to be popular when it's the only format getting a major push, and not just the mandatory reprints.

EDIT2:

:wtc:

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 5, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Serperoth posted:

"Hm, these people paid a good amount of money to get those Standard rewards... Let's NOT do that any more!"

EDIT:

It's easy to be popular when it's the only format getting a major push, and not just the mandatory reprints.

EDIT2:

I don't even know what the gently caress is going on anymore. Here is your pushed mythic folks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Well at least you can't play the 2 most powerful cards in Standard in a Deck Together... Actually you probably can lol.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Serperoth posted:

EDIT:

EDIT2:

Gideon is now Platinum Angel. For 3 mana.

:catstare:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I read that, thought the last ability was an ultimate, nope 0 cost

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
So much for any chance at aggro being viable in Standard. (I'm only slightly exaggerating.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This card is offensive.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

do you have a source on this, i find it hard to believe they printed a 3 mana Platnium Angel

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that emblem is redundant in standard

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

do you have a source on this, i find it hard to believe they printed a 3 mana Platnium Angel

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/trust-2017-04-05

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Imagine 2 gideon's on the edge of a stalled board state, forever

• Locked thread