Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

bull3964 posted:

It's memories, not time travel. McDonald's can be in 1998, the garage memory can be sometime else.

The alien agent said the thing in the garage happened somewhere between 9/11 and Rick's favorite sports blooper.

So the fake memory was set even LATER than 1998, and thus even more impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TFRazorsaw posted:

The alien agent said the thing in the garage happened somewhere between 9/11 and Rick's favorite sports blooper.

He just said it was between those two things in Rick's brain. I don't think chronological order was necessarily implied. :spergin:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i mean they never specified the memories were in chronological order from left to right

i wish i could hear what rick was saying in the 9/11 memory. i think i heard something like "they've taken away our freedom"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The memory with Beth was PHYSICALLY in between 9/11 and the sports blooper when they were looking out the window.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Given how left>right progression is pretty ingrained in western culture, I would assume the implication was a given.

But really the biggest shocker is that Rick likes sports and cared about 9/11.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He liked sports bloopers. Of course he would. It's someone else experiencing pain for your amusement.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So it turns out that Rick doesn't really give a poo poo about Morty and his family and just wants power within the family? Or was he just trying to hide his true feelings?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

we'll have to watch the rest of the season to find out!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I lean more towards he doesn't want anyone to believe he cares about them, and he doesn't want to believe he cares about anyone either because he sees it as a weakness. But he does. Bird person knows this.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

parallelodad posted:

I lean more towards he doesn't want anyone to believe he cares about them, and he doesn't want to believe he cares about anyone either because he sees it as a weakness. But he does. Bird person knows this.

I'm on board with this interpretation.

Poor Birdperson. :(

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Cardboard Box posted:

i mean they never specified the memories were in chronological order from left to right

i wish i could hear what rick was saying in the 9/11 memory. i think i heard something like "they've taken away our freedom"

It's along the lines of "They're going to use this as an excuse to take away our freedom"

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

parallelodad posted:

yeah that's what i think too. remember when he teared up when he saw baby morty? :3:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Budgie posted:

It's along the lines of "They're going to use this as an excuse to take away our freedom"

ahaha that's awesome

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TFRazorsaw posted:

Given how left>right progression is pretty ingrained in western culture, I would assume the implication was a given.

But really the biggest shocker is that Rick likes sports and cared about 9/11.

You are reading way way too much into this.

Artist wanted them standing in front of a portal as a central focal point for the shot and they needed two throwaway things to book end it on either side.

Rick and Morty isn't a puzzle box, it never has been.

Not to mention what they were looking out of the window wasn't even the garage memory anyways because that shot didn't happen in the garage memory.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well I know that. I'm just saying that the implied implausible time scale of it supposedly happening after 9/11 when Beth is clearly at least in her 40's was even more hinting that the memory is impossibly bogus. The fact that shot never happens at all is even more of an indicator.

Of course, I'm seeing a lot of people who WANT Rick's clichely tragic backstory to be real.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well I know that. I'm just saying that the implied implausible time scale of it supposedly happening after 9/11 when Beth is clearly at least in her 40's was even more hinting that the memory is impossibly bogus. The fact that shot never happens at all is even more of an indicator.

Of course, I'm seeing a lot of people who WANT Rick's clichely tragic backstory to be real.

I don't think Beth can be in her 40s, because she had Summer at the end of high school, so she'd be less than 20. And Summer's still in high school, so another under-20.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What if our Rick was the one who warned Blue Pants Rick and dropped the bomb of his own free will to make sure Different Rick would invent a portal gun for reasons?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eh. Either way. 1998 and 2001 are both impossible dates for that explicitly fake event to have ruined Rick's life.

Edit - Or maybe it's just Dumbass Rick's backstory. He seems like the type to wear blue pants.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

but nobody was eating poo poo? :confused:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What do you think the ice cream was going to be made of?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Nerd/fan culture is the worst thing to ever happen to humanity.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TFRazorsaw posted:

Let me really blow your mind.

Since they never left the Shoney's, the McDonald's memory was fabricated too.

We never saw Rick eating the sauce, he must have fed the other guy poo poo!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well he is a giant fly.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RandomPauI posted:

What if our Rick was the one who warned Blue Pants Rick and dropped the bomb of his own free will to make sure Different Rick would invent a portal gun for reasons?
I definitely think if anything about that was real, our Rick was the one who warned Blue Pants Rick, if you look at the shots where they're both in frame, the have the exact same skintone and haircolour, unlike Blue Pants Rick.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Eh. Either way. 1998 and 2001 are both impossible dates for that explicitly fake event to have ruined Rick's life.

Edit - Or maybe it's just Dumbass Rick's backstory. He seems like the type to wear blue pants.
Nobody was ever saying it was in 1998 or 2001. Like, it's Rick's mind, he doesn't have to visit or display his memories in chronological order. Going to grab the Szechuan Sauce in 1998 was explicitly a detour.

When the agent said that the moment Rick invented the Portal gun was tucked inbetween 9/11 and his favourite sports blooper, he was probably being metaphorical.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

punk rebel ecks posted:

So it turns out that Rick doesn't really give a poo poo about Morty and his family and just wants power within the family? Or was he just trying to hide his true feelings?

Rick has either been completely drunk or suffering MASSIVE withdrawals throughout every episode of the show so there's no way to tell if his ranting is genuine or just complete bullshit. Also he probably makes up a bunch of this stuff or massively exaggerates it because he enjoys loving with Morty. Also there's no way of knowing if he's the same Rick from episode to episode or an alternate universe Rick so what he says in one episode might not count in a different episode. Also a whole bunch of stuff he says is just throwaway 4th-wall-breaking jokes that the writers thought were funny and wasn't meant to be taken literally.

tl;dr: don't think about it

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
As he'd have to be older to be smart enough to advise the president, I'd guess Beancounter was born in 1998. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

TFRazorsaw posted:

Dudes

They're all fake memories

They never left Shoneys

Stop over-thinking it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Was mr poopman a parasite!??

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Budgie posted:

Oh that's even better. I knew I heard "take away our freedom", but it's perfect for Rick to skip right over "thousands died" to "how does this effect me?"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Covok posted:

Oh that's even better. I knew I heard "take away our freedom", but it's perfect for Rick to skip right over "thousands died" to "how does this effect me?"

It's not like he was wrong. :shrug:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

:furcry:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In the commentaries Harmon and Justin explicitly say that they don't want there to be continuity and that their original plan was to have Beth and Jerry get divorced every episode ala Kenny getting killed in south park. I felt like the episode was packed with references to previous seasons so that they could put a bow on it and go back to "normal". My bet is that the next episodes exist in a vacuum and don't tie back to any of this stuff.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
hell the end of the episode has beth saying she's going to make sure jerry leaves before he changes his mind, i'd be surprised if jerry didn't fold immediately the moment beth went to tell rick about the divorce

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Salt Fish posted:

In the commentaries Harmon and Justin explicitly say that they don't want there to be continuity and that their original plan was to have Beth and Jerry get divorced every episode ala Kenny getting killed in south park. I felt like the episode was packed with references to previous seasons so that they could put a bow on it and go back to "normal". My bet is that the next episodes exist in a vacuum and don't tie back to any of this stuff.

lol if the next episode just has Jerry and Beth married and no one asks questions or anyone is aware what is going on.

Also, it sounds like what they want is the Simpsons/Family Guy/American Dad/Sealab 2021 situation. Perhaps closest to Sealab 2021 where the base blew up every episode. Hey, it worked for that show pretty well. I never asked questions when I was 10 years old.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Continuity is good. It makes shows more interesting.

Just look at the closest analogue to this show, Family Matters. Where Rick is a much more ethical black nerd and Morty is a loving patriarchal cop.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CornHolio posted:

Dudes

They're all fake memories

They never left Shoneys

Stop over-thinking it.

Look, it's important we get the timeline down for this show that's made up as it goes along

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Covok posted:

lol if the next episode just has Jerry and Beth married and no one asks questions or anyone is aware what is going on.

Also, it sounds like what they want is the Simpsons/Family Guy/American Dad/Sealab 2021 situation. Perhaps closest to Sealab 2021 where the base blew up every episode. Hey, it worked for that show pretty well. I never asked questions when I was 10 years old.

Next episode features her married to either Sleepy Gary or that guy she married after Jerry in an alternate universe.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah that's what i think too. remember when he teared up when he saw baby morty? :3:

In the Evil Morty episode? Wasn't that the fake Rick?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

As a backstory it sucks, but I like what it says about the Council Of Ricks, so I'm hoping that it is inspired by their real operating procedure.

Salt Fish posted:

Eh, I also remember them saying at some point that they were planning to have another Meeseeks episode and another Evil Morty episode. They may have changed their minds since then, and I'd be fine with that, but I do remember them saying that.

21 Muns fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

21 Muns posted:

Eh, I also remember them saying at some point that they were planning to have another Meeseeks episode and another Evil Morty episode.

Uhhhh I'm pretty sure they said the exact opposite of that.