Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
Vac 700R is in stock at Goulet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

unkle77 posted:

Vac 700R is in stock at Goulet!

God damnit!!!

Just ordered one on wonderpens! 89$ vs 70 USD on Goulet. Not bad. I had been wanting another Twsbi since I love my diamond mini so much. Well there you go! All those pens...

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

grack posted:

See if you can push the nib and feed back in to the pen a bit, it may have come loose. Otherwise empty it, give it a very thorough cleaning and check for cracks/leaks.

Cleaning it out and making sure the nib was firmly attached seems to have worked, no cracks I could see, thanks.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

New pen day (I wish)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
These oversized luxury pens are getting out of hand.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
Bit upset to find that just a couple of months of light use of my Vac Mini have put about 4 hairline cracks into the plastic part that the cap posts to (and that the vacuum piston screws down onto). Really hoping this isn't a case of bad TWSBI plastic and that the issues stop there.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

unkle77 posted:

Bit upset to find that just a couple of months of light use of my Vac Mini have put about 4 hairline cracks into the plastic part that the cap posts to (and that the vacuum piston screws down onto). Really hoping this isn't a case of bad TWSBI plastic and that the issues stop there.

If you seal the cracks with epoxy they shouldn't get worse, but they will if you don't do anything. With it being near the threads that area will be under constant stress so the cracks will spread if uncontrolled. :(

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Well I think that's it for the Lamy 2000 and me. The new one, upon furter inspection is not right... Again. The nib is a little crooked I don't know how to describe it but the right thine is a little out of whack and when you look at the nib and feed you see the feed is not perfectly parallel to the nib. Or I see maybe .5mm of the nib on one side of the feed and 0.1mm on the other.

Anyways. What kills me is that if I did not have a loupe I think i would think the pen is fine. But it does scratch a bit on the up/down strokes compared to how buttery smooth it is left/right.

Second return in a row to amazon I'm done buying this pen sight unseen like that. It was a great deal but if I ever want another one I'll pay the premium and have wonderpens or goulet or whoever check the nib before sending it off.

The one I have would be hard to sell/trade without ripping off someone.

Also I'm not even sure the value is there anyways. Comparing a new Lamy 2000 at 200$ or so to my newly acquired Pelikan m400 (same price) the Lamy is just not in the same class. So if I want to burn another 200$ on a pen I think I'd look at vintage Montblanc's/Pelikan's at around the same price range.

Thing that is torturing me a little is that if I did not own a loupe I would never have spotted those problems (except the slight scratchiness up/down). But I do have a loupe and did see it.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I had been mulling between the Lamy 2000 and the Pilot e95s for some time because I like the idea of hooded/integrated nibs, but I can't really justify a >$100 pen right now.

So instead I jumped on that Vac 700R!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really like my e95s! Get a Japanese one though if you go for it later, it's like 50 bucks cheaper for the same pen.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Iznogood posted:

Well I think that's it for the Lamy 2000 and me. The new one, upon furter inspection is not right... Again. The nib is a little crooked I don't know how to describe it but the right thine is a little out of whack and when you look at the nib and feed you see the feed is not perfectly parallel to the nib. Or I see maybe .5mm of the nib on one side of the feed and 0.1mm on the other.

Anyways. What kills me is that if I did not have a loupe I think i would think the pen is fine. But it does scratch a bit on the up/down strokes compared to how buttery smooth it is left/right.

Second return in a row to amazon I'm done buying this pen sight unseen like that. It was a great deal but if I ever want another one I'll pay the premium and have wonderpens or goulet or whoever check the nib before sending it off.

The one I have would be hard to sell/trade without ripping off someone.

Also I'm not even sure the value is there anyways. Comparing a new Lamy 2000 at 200$ or so to my newly acquired Pelikan m400 (same price) the Lamy is just not in the same class. So if I want to burn another 200$ on a pen I think I'd look at vintage Montblanc's/Pelikan's at around the same price range.

Thing that is torturing me a little is that if I did not own a loupe I would never have spotted those problems (except the slight scratchiness up/down). But I do have a loupe and did see it.

Some people have had good luck with Amazon and buying pens. It does not sound like you're one of them. I've personally preferred buying my pens through vendors with a brick and mortar presence who specialize in pens, like Goulet, or Anderson Pens, or Mr. Pen in the UK, or La Courrone du Comte in the Netherlands. The EU actually has a bunch of them, come to think of it. It supports the businesses that sell what I like, and ensures that I'm buying something from people who care about what they're selling.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

NeurosisHead posted:

Some people have had good luck with Amazon and buying pens. It does not sound like you're one of them. I've personally preferred buying my pens through vendors with a brick and mortar presence who specialize in pens, like Goulet, or Anderson Pens, or Mr. Pen in the UK, or La Courrone du Comte in the Netherlands. The EU actually has a bunch of them, come to think of it. It supports the businesses that sell what I like, and ensures that I'm buying something from people who care about what they're selling.

I'd buy another pen on amazon just not a Lamy. Oh well! Unlucky I guess. On the other hand I cannot stop writing with my Pelikan and I am getting a feel for this guy. Oblique medium is a interesting nib to say the least but it has a lot of spring after all and the more I use it the better I get. It's silky smooth too even when I use a little heavy hand which produces lines like the ones in my picture.

Maybe I am a newbie I don't know but I am very impressed with this pen. Kinda like a sports car I am just discovering can go quite fast in tight corners.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 6, 2017

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Anybody else get their Petrol ordered yet?

It'll be my first Lamy. It's not really in my budget, but it's the only Safari color that's ever made me say "damnnnnn!" Went with a Fine, to split the difference between my EF and M pens.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

I suppose my issue with the "brighter" inks is that I'm mainly using these in a business setting. A bright electric blue is a little out of place. In fact, Kon Peki may be just on the verge of too much.

Speaking of inks, Noodlers 54th made me remember how much I like a good blue-black ink. Anyone have a favorite blue-black? A good, solid color to use at work?

Iroshizuki Shin-Kai is pretty much the only ink I use for work or play.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Trustworthy posted:

It'll be my first Lamy. It's not really in my budget, but it's the only Safari color that's ever made me say "damnnnnn!" Went with a Fine, to split the difference between my EF and M pens.

I ordered the Medium nib. I think the color looks great too. I already have a 2000 and a silver Al Star both in Fine. Time to try a new size out! Might order a stub nib to play with sometime in the future.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Hello fellow Lamy lovers! I made a postal fude nib today. (e: Thx grack for the :eng101:)

After 10 years of being worn on my work lanyard, the clutch ring/plastic bit inside the cap that grips it finally gave way. It nearly fell down an elevator shaft, so I count this as an overall win.

I guess this needs to be a desk pen, and not my work lanyard pen from here on out, unless that's an easy repair.

Also, what should my next work lanyard pen be? Maybe something with a screw cap, perhaps a TWSBI Eco?

(And that nib writes pretty well. I think I'll take a bit of grit to it to soften the now VERY sharp writing tip. It produces really nice and smooth line variation, too. I'll order a new nib, but I'm keeping this one around!)

effika fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 6, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Technically that would be a postal nib. A fude nib is bent in the other direction :eng101:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

grack posted:

Technically that would be a postal nib. A fude nib is bent in the other direction :eng101:

OOh, so it's even more special! Nice.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
One of the things that I really like about my Al-Star is knowing that if I gently caress up the nib it's inconsequential to replace it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trustworthy posted:

My Lamy Safari Special Edition just shipped hopefully it'll be here tomorrow because I'm only like 50 miles from goulet.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Plinkey posted:

My Lamy Safari Special Edition just shipped hopefully it'll be here tomorrow because I'm only like 50 miles from goulet.

You guy's love your safaris so much! I have one in black and it's a great pen but I cannot understand everyone going nuts for some color like right now with this new one. Also it's in the sad pile of gets dry after 24h capped if unused (Lamy black cartridge in there).

I want to try the All-star one day I think I would like it better with a more robust body. But somehow I have to stop ordering pens all the time and online. It's never a good sign when I cannot give a pen count off the top of my head and even thinking about it I get dizzy. (just counted the ones I can see on my desk and that's 18... I'd wager I have half that stashed in cheap .99$ ebay pen pouches. Should make some picture of the whole thing one day.

To each his own I guess! Just got a bottle of Iroshizuku Kon-Peki and I am not sure if I can differentiate it from Noodler's Navajo Turquoise. The Kon-Peki is a couple of points darker that's about it. Looking at swabs on Goulet confirms this pretty much. Wanted a allegedly "safer than Noodler's" ink for my pelikan.

If I could find a green I love as much as these turquoises.

Twsbi 700r has shipped! ETA monday! Took extra fine to revisit the smaller nibs before I just go allin on broads/stubs and the likes. I am loving the thick "alive" lines a lot more. But do have a need for small notes that don't feather the gently caress out of cheap paper. Should get the 1.1mm eventually to swap out. Unless I fall in love with the extra fine.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Iznogood posted:

You guy's love your safaris so much! I have one in black and it's a great pen but I cannot understand everyone going nuts for some color like right now with this new one. Also it's in the sad pile of gets dry after 24h capped if unused (Lamy black cartridge in there).

I want to try the All-star one day I think I would like it better with a more robust body. But somehow I have to stop ordering pens all the time and online. It's never a good sign when I cannot give a pen count off the top of my head and even thinking about it I get dizzy. (just counted the ones I can see on my desk and that's 18... I'd wager I have half that stashed in cheap .99$ ebay pen pouches. Should make some picture of the whole thing one day.

To each his own I guess! Just got a bottle of Iroshizuku Kon-Peki and I am not sure if I can differentiate it from Noodler's Navajo Turquoise. The Kon-Peki is a couple of points darker that's about it. Looking at swabs on Goulet confirms this pretty much. Wanted a allegedly "safer than Noodler's" ink for my pelikan.

If I could find a green I love as much as these turquoises.

Twsbi 700r has shipped! ETA monday! Took extra fine to revisit the smaller nibs before I just go allin on broads/stubs and the likes. I am loving the thick "alive" lines a lot more. But do have a need for small notes that don't feather the gently caress out of cheap paper. Should get the 1.1mm eventually to swap out. Unless I fall in love with the extra fine.

I'm pretty sure the problem with your safari's the ink. I've left mine sitting on a nightstand for weeks with Poussiere de Lune (because for years that's all I'd put in the pen, and then leave it laying about for ages) and it would always start up just fine. The first stroke might be a bit dry, but it always started without any priming or nonsense.

Incidentally here is a list of inks I would consider dangerous to run through a pelikan:
drafting ink
india ink
ink with things growing in it
Some insane concoction made of various nuts

Like, their nib sizing is all over the place, but that aside that they're pretty bulletproof. It's not like there's ink sacs or feeds made of dodgy plastic to worry about.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I found a Pilot Varsity under my bed, and it's the old style. I haven't touched or thought about it in years. It started up immediately with no dryness or skipping.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Safari sucks. There, I said it.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

grack posted:

Dang bc i just ordered a petrol. Just kidding safaris rule!

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
The Safari is too long.

The converter design is pretty good, though. Although I guess you'd eventually wear off those little ears if you're constantly swapping it out for carts or something dumb like that.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've gone 100% vintage so you're all crazy to me.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

grack posted:

This is me strongly agreeing with forum poster Grack on an issue relating to the fountain pen hobby.

I will join him in the fight against the wrong opinion.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
I love the triangle thingy on the safari! The joy has it too. My 2000 doesn't but that's okay. Triangles are better than squares or circles

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

cyxx posted:

I love the triangle thingy on the safari! The joy has it too. My 2000 doesn't but that's okay. Triangles are better than squares or circles

I don't care much for triangular sections but I'll give them I don't think I would've dropped the Lamy 2000 if it had one.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
TRIANGLES! TRIANGLES! TRIANGLES!

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Zenostein posted:

I'm pretty sure the problem with your safari's the ink. I've left mine sitting on a nightstand for weeks with Poussiere de Lune (because for years that's all I'd put in the pen, and then leave it laying about for ages) and it would always start up just fine. The first stroke might be a bit dry, but it always started without any priming or nonsense.

Incidentally here is a list of inks I would consider dangerous to run through a pelikan:
drafting ink
india ink
ink with things growing in it
Some insane concoction made of various nuts

Like, their nib sizing is all over the place, but that aside that they're pretty bulletproof. It's not like there's ink sacs or feeds made of dodgy plastic to worry about.

Yeah I did think it might be the ink (horrible ink franckly). I'll ink it up with something well lubricated one day like one of noodler's eels inks (I have cactus fruits).

I'm not "really" afraid for my Pelikan but the Pelikan nerds really hate modern inks. And I always need an excuse to get another bottle!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'm looking forward to either loving, hating, or being indifferent to my very first Lamy Safari when it arrives next week! :pwn:

edit: My Plumix comes today, though! Can't wait to shove that medium italic nib into a Metropolitan. :dance:

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Trustworthy posted:

I'm looking forward to either loving, hating, or being indifferent to my very first Lamy Safari when it arrives next week! :pwn:

edit: My Plumix comes today, though! Can't wait to shove that medium italic nib into a Metropolitan. :dance:

It made the Metro 10x better for me. It is a sharp italic it wants to dig in the paper but I loved it so much I bought a third metro and a 3 pack of Plumix to give one as a gift.
Also heard horror stories about eye dropper conversion but the two I did are pretty much perfect. Just silicone greased the poo poo out of the threads.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I grabbed a brass Kaweco Lilliput supra on massdrop a while ago and it's supposed to arrive today. I'm going to take it to the Chicago pen show to have the medium nib ground into a medium italic. That's exciting for me. :)

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Whoa the medium italic out of this Plumix is basically still a western extra fine with a little added line variation. There's definitely a place for it in my pen collection, but the hole it's filling is on the opposite side of my 1.1mm than what I was expecting.

That Gothic script project will have to wait a little longer... :sweatdrop:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Trustworthy posted:

Whoa the medium italic out of this Plumix is basically still a western extra fine with a little added line variation. There's definitely a place for it in my pen collection, but the hole it's filling is on the opposite side of my 1.1mm than what I was expecting.

That Gothic script project will have to wait a little longer... :sweatdrop:

it's really useful for some line variation in your daily writing since it's not so huge. If you need something bigger there are the Pilot Parallels which are actual calligraphy pens and come in 4 sizes or if you just want a nib you can shove into a pen Goulet has a 1.5mm italic in a #6 nib and Fountain Pen Revolution has some italics in various sizes that come in #5 and #6 sizes. actually just checked and they only have a 1mm stub sorry

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 7, 2017

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Everything Burrito posted:

it's really useful for some line variation in your daily writing since it's not so huge. If you need something bigger there are the Pilot Parallels which are actual calligraphy pens and come in 4 sizes or if you just want a nib you can shove into a pen Goulet has a 1.5mm italic in a #6 nib and Fountain Pen Revolution has some italics in various sizes that come in #5 and #6 sizes. actually just checked and they only have a 1mm stub sorry

Yeah was going to answer basically that. Sorry I misled anyone I love the plumix's italic because it IS tiny kinda like the 1.1mm italic on y Twsbi mini (which turns out IS smaller than others there is a thread on FPN comparing it). But it's huge compared to my Pilot fine the pilot fine is tiny. Mine is at least.

When I want to play with calligraphy I go to my parallel pens. For this purpose they are so good and fun.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
if you want tiny pick up a Pilot Penmanship for that Japanese EF. I keep doing dumb poo poo like putting a Noodler ink into the pen I have it on or writing on crappy paper and then wondering why it keeps silting up or getting clogged with paper fibers :negative: It's like writing with the point of a needle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Everything Burrito posted:

if you want tiny pick up a Pilot Penmanship for that Japanese EF. I keep doing dumb poo poo like putting a Noodler ink into the pen I have it on or writing on crappy paper and then wondering why it keeps silting up or getting clogged with paper fibers :negative: It's like writing with the point of a needle.

Yeah one is on my amazon wish list too but I'll probably add one on my next order from Wonderpens since who cares and on amazon they ship from japan. Unless wonderpens does not carry them it's possible their inventory is not as exhaustive as Goulet or others.

But I am in no hurry I have little love for tiny nibs and needles. I just recognise that I need one sometimes and I am looking for a great extra fine pen. Lamy 2000 would of been it but it was not that fine and well this story is old now.

The Twsbi 700r might be it who knows.

I mainly write because I love writing (literally I don't care if I am writing for 100th time the name of a pen/ink paper like a review I just love putting ink down on paper). I have no real practical use for it so I can use whatever I want however I want no one ever sees anything I write anyways. If I still worked in an office I would have very different taste in nibs I bet.