Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You son of a bitch..

..You made me choke on my drink laughing. Yeah, I have to admit, that fits too well.

When next season rolls around my God does the OP need all of your awesome gif.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Barreft posted:

Definitely thought she was masturbating. It was super awkward.

That's where my brain went for the first scene. Glad I'm not the only one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Hey whoever made this a while back, can you update it please

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Medullah posted:

Hey whoever made this a while back, can you update it please

I forgot hospital kid was even a person on this show.

Also - totally thought Sasha was masturbating.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fog Tripper posted:

What was the point of moving it again?

Oh yeah
~plot~

The point was to show that Maggie was a competent leader. The blueberry bush scene was to show that she was thinking ahead, and to remind everyone that she grew up on a farm(remember that? She had a sister too). The Phalanx line was to show that she was a competent military leader. Maggie can coordinate the planting in peace time and lead the people during the war, she's the leader Hilltop needs. Unfortunately, as pointed out, transplanting the blueberry bush makes no sense for multiple reasons, and "phalanx out!" is gobbledygook. The writers are trying to write a character more intelligent and competent than they are.

That square foot line was completely fine, btw. The first thing you do when planting a garden is figure out how much space you have and what you want to use it for. I will fight to the bitter end about that line

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bates posted:

The first 40 minutes was a series of scenes with either sad or angry people standing or sitting while talking about being angry or sad. You can't just have two emotional states in your show. In a visual medium having people mostly stand around talking in dreary locations is lovely and boring.

That is all.

Hey, we also had a horny trash girl

Sammus posted:

Trashkru is hosed. Do they kiss and make up next season or does Rick kill them all? Third option is they walk away forever.

Also, lol it felt like 40 minutes was wasted on Sasha. That poo poo coulda been handled in 4 scenes, then give us a 40 minute gun fight. Instead, nope gotta say good bye to the dead person for half an hour.

I hope the first 10 minutes is wiping them out or they just disappear. I can't stand it when they talk. They're like the world's cheesiest callout to Thunderdome's lost tribe of useless filler.
The one they put up with Michonne, she just reminds me of Sloth from the Goonies.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 5, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lycus posted:

Was Negan swaggering while getting away? He's invincible while swaggering

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I also think that from what I read I'm the only living person who enjoys Negan.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Captain Log posted:

No Negan is legitimately the best character on the show. That doesn't say much since most of the characters are insufferable and/or retarded but yea

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Log posted:

I was 100% rooting for him. People complain about Negan's plot armor but like... compared to whose? If Negan had plot armor this episode then Rick and Carl were manning a plot Abrams.

It legit seems like Negan is the smartest tactician but is constantly outwitted by the good guys' ability to Deus Ex Machina. When your whole perimeter and gate guards disappear and cost you the fight a teleporting armored truck is fair imo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Plot armor itself is fine, no one kills off characters until they fulfill the role they have for them in the story. The problem is putting the characters with plot armor in situations where they logically should definitely die, but don't. Like having an automatic rifle pointed at you held by a character that wants to assassinate you. Or snuggling up to character that famously munched a person to death while he says he wants to kill you at all costs.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I loved when Negan was crouching in the middle of a field next to Tex Cobb and saw Maggie and turned into Yosemite Sam

"That widow's alive and guns a'blazin'!"

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I also can't believe that Negan expects to win a war when his entire army is apparently made of people who have attempted to kill or betray him before

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

brocked posted:

I also can't believe that Negan expects to win a war when his entire army is apparently made of people who have attempted to kill or betray him before

It's an army of badasses!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Lycus posted:

Plot armor itself is fine, no one kills off characters until they fulfill the role they have for them in the story. The problem is putting the characters with plot armor in situations where they logically should definitely die, but don't. Like having an automatic rifle pointed at you held by a character that wants to assassinate you. Or snuggling up to character that famously munched a person to death while he says he wants to kill you at all costs.

This is it. I wasn't concerned at all when Rick and Coral were getting threatened because I knew there was a way out. Attempts at tension are laughable when you know the characters involved aren't actually in danger.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Stickarts posted:

This is it. I wasn't concerned at all when Rick and Coral were getting threatened because I knew there was a way out. Attempts at tension are laughable when you know the characters involved aren't actually in danger.

That's not quite what I'm talking about, though. There's a difference in putting a character in danger of death (someone's about to shoot them, but something stops them) and putting a character in a situation where they should die (someone's with the desire and will to kill them is pointing a gun at them but doesn't pull the trigger for no reason).

Main characters that aren't gonna die are put in danger of death on lots of dramas all the time, that's fine. If you like the show, you feel the danger.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 5, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Log posted:

Negan can be a fun idea, if AMC would stop sticking him right in front of gun barrels and just have people NOT DO ANYTHING all the time

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Blazing Ownager posted:

Negan can be a fun idea, if AMC would stop sticking him right in front of gun barrels and just have people NOT DO ANYTHING all the time

Much unlike all the other characters

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Goddrat son.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Space Crabs posted:

i think maybe you should try really hard to extend that suspension of disbelief you have for a universe where zombies exist to cover that a random assortment of people might not come together and use perfectly correct military terminology that makes sense to you.

The waitress from starbucks and a gym teacher could probably be forgiven for not knowing the specifics of their roman and japanese military tactical terminology and syntax.

Bahaha yes the writers are most definitely trying to illustrate the nuance of your average Joe not knowing correct military terms. Thats giving them wayyy too much credit.

The entire scene is meant to illustrate Maggie is now a badass leader of Hilltop. That she knows what she's doing.

This is no onion and there are no layers. The writers just suck.

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016

Captain Log posted:

The Negan/Eugene interactions were probably the only thing I actually enjoyed this entire season.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Trash Queen and Tiger King are really silly and I really hope this show plays that aspect up a lot more next season. I want to see more people with silly accents and cgi tigers mauling dudes in the middle of big gunfights and less hokey monologues and bad attempts at arthouse scenes every time they kill off another black character.

I really enjoyed the finale. The fight was pretty great and despite their best efforts to make it as lame and drawn out as possible, I was actually kinda moved at Sasha's death

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was 100% rooting for him. People complain about Negan's plot armor but like... compared to whose? If Negan had plot armor this episode then Rick and Carl were manning a plot Abrams.

It legit seems like Negan is the smartest tactician but is constantly outwitted by the good guys' ability to Deus Ex Machina. When your whole perimeter and gate guards disappear and cost you the fight a teleporting armored truck is fair imo.

Where were people seeing an armored truck?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They're just talking about the deuce and a half that took a bajillion bullets and had unpuncturable tires

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

moist turtleneck posted:

They're just talking about the deuce and a half that took a bajillion bullets and had unpuncturable tires

Yeah those are not really armored beyond the standard Negan plot armor. The tires are probably the most durable thing on them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fog Tripper posted:

Yeah those are not really armored beyond the standard Negan plot armor. The tires are probably the most durable thing on them.

I think vehicles in the TWD universe come armored standard. Plenty of scenes cars protecting people from gunfire, including this battle. Cars are probably one of the most common cover items in gunfights.

This is true in most tv/movies though so eh

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Really confused why they didn't just kill Gregory off because his whole 'I'm going to tip off Negan' B plot was pointless.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Well I'm sure glad they wasted an entire season on replicating game of thrones. It's like a cheap knockoff.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but was there really only one zombie in this entire episode?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

Weird, next thing you are going to tell me is that 20 people firing fully automatic assault weapons directly into the windshield/windows and cab of one of them would actually kill whoever is inside?!?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Space Crabs posted:

Weird, next thing you are going to tell me is that 20 people firing fully automatic assault weapons directly into the windshield/windows and cab of one of them would actually kill whoever is inside?!?

I would probably not use "fully automatic assault weapons" in a sentence. I would probably sperg about never seeing anyone reload a mag since like the prison season. Also about the sudden abundance of ammo in general.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Has Eugene had to make a single ding dong ammunition for negan yet

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Also I could sperg about the offensive strategy consisting of waiting for a convoy of trucks to pull up to your proven-to-be-flimsy walled town.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Was there any point to scarfaced dude saying he'd help or was that just another gregory-esque pointless thing from the last few eps?

I honestly cannot grok the plan's, points or motivations of just about anyone on this show anymore.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yes, No.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

I mean he cut down trees or something, but (I need a rewatch, god help me) why not use that to create a chokepoint kill zone?

Ricks plan was... what?
Negan's plan was... what?

How did Rick even know when to expect Negan?
If Negan knew the plan, why did he only bring a handful of his guys, or better yet why even go to Alexandria?
What was the point of the coffin beyond vehicle for Sasha to OD?
Why did Hilltop and Kingdom walk to Alexandria yet the magical trash people had trucks?
Where did the truck with explosives disappear to?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

Has Eugene had to make a single ding dong ammunition for negan yet

For some dumb reason the show changed that bit from the comics about everyone actually needing bullets to where Negan just figured Eugene was a smart guy because he made a bullet and started having him do "smart guy things" around the compound.

Maybe they'll have the bullet making be a plot point when they decide guns need bullets next season as a plot device to cause tension when Rick, incredibly sweaty, looks bewildered when Michonne tells him they are almost out of bullets.

Fog Tripper posted:

Also I could sperg about the offensive strategy consisting of waiting for a convoy of trucks to pull up to your proven-to-be-flimsy walled town.

The point is that you shouldn't be. it's kinda pointless to sperg out about stuff like that because people are calling it "armored" due to it's specific make and model because it also teleported magically.

I'm sure army trucks of that make and model don't typically transition through space and time as if by magic to suit the needs of their drivers either.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Space Crabs posted:

I'm sure army trucks of that make and model don't typically transition through space and time as if by magic to suit the needs of their drivers either.

FINE

OK then. Where was Eugene during the firefight? Was he the one driving the magic armored truck?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You might as well be asking why people turn into zombies.

The show sticks to general ideas (Negan escapes in truck to fight another day) that aren't based on any sort of specifics (how did the truck get there in the first place?).

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

FINE

OK then. Where was Eugene during the firefight? Was he the one driving the magic armored truck?

Eugene was busy shifting some paradigms and thinking outside of the box, so to speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You might as well be asking why people turn into zombies.

The show sticks to general ideas (Negan escapes in truck to fight another day) that aren't based on any sort of specifics (how did the truck get there in the first place?).

Oh trust me I get it. Just harping on how bad writing is. Isn't there such thing as a continuity checker in screen productions? Is it possible they have such a person but the writers simply think the viewers are too stupid to notice glaring holes in the show?