Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Counterpoint: amiibodes kept nintendo alive because the wii u sure wasn't.

The what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i think it was some type of wii accessory

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Going to stop dumb amiibo chat to post here that Bomberman is the DOTD on Best Buy for $40. $32 if you have GCU. I'm thinking of getting it at that price.

Buy 3 Zelda amiibo instead

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rexroom posted:

I have a complete Splatoon amiibo collection because I'm a man-child of discerning taste.

I picked up an WoN Inkling Boy figure at Target. I might buy another Inkling Boy amiibo to disassemble, so I can put the NFC chip on the figure.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Speaking of bad business decisions

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/849609253107097600

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

:siren: VideoGames :siren:

Please change the thread title to Nintendo Switch: Don't talk to me if you don't have a single amiibo

I have 4 amiibos.

E: the game and watch trifecta is the greatest amiibo ever made

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
News is that Yooka-Laylee runs like poo poo on Xbone and PS4. Does not bode well for Switch.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Going to stop dumb amiibo chat to post here that Bomberman is the DOTD on Best Buy for $40. $32 if you have GCU. I'm thinking of getting it at that price.

That's dumber than owning amiibos

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fremry posted:

News is that Yooka-Laylee runs like poo poo on Xbone and PS4. Does not bode well for Switch.

Snakepass "runs like poo poo" on them too, still doesn't run significantly differently on Switch. Mind you the kind of people who say it "runs like poo poo" think anything that isn't at least 1080p 60fps locked automatically looks like poo poo.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fremry posted:

Playtonic is handling the Switch & PC versions internally, Xbone and PS4 were handled by the publisher Team17

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

parallelodad posted:

Mind you the kind of people who say it "runs like poo poo" think anything that isn't at least 1080p 60fps locked automatically looks like poo poo.

They're not wrong.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah they are.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

reviews specifically mention bad framerate problems on other consoles. if it ran at a solid 30 fps it wouldn't be an issue.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They're not wrong.

They're also not owners of consoles then

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

parallelodad posted:

Snakepass "runs like poo poo" on them too, still doesn't run significantly differently on Switch. Mind you the kind of people who say it "runs like poo poo" think anything that isn't at least 1080p 60fps locked automatically looks like poo poo.

To be fair, they patched it like a couple days after release and before it ran worse in portable mode (I never tried it portable). Before that patch it hitched a little every now and then and even now it runs at a lower resolution than all the other versions.

What I wasn't expecting is that it supposedly only runs 60fps on PS4pro and PC. I figured the Switch would be the only odd man out there.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
I don't own any amebo what does that say about me?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

parallelodad posted:

Yeah, that's not the issue at all. Frame rate drops to single digits, choppiness that screws up your platforming, and a bunch of bugs like walls disappearing and stuff like that.

Kashuno posted:

Playtonic is handling the Switch & PC versions internally, Xbone and PS4 were handled by the publisher Team17

That's good to know. Hopefully it runs well on Switch.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

pippy posted:

that you don't own amiibo

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I only buy the finest in adult toys: Lego

Get hosed Amiibos!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cardboard Box posted:

that you don't own amiibo

R.I.P.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Norns posted:

I only buy the finest in adult toys: Lego

Get hosed Amiibos!

jivjov posted:

The plural form of amiibo is amiibo. And the leading a isn't capitalized.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Jables88 posted:

gently caress, I'm down for this. Is this launching in EU at the same time?

Yeah, we're also getting neo geo Alpha Mission III

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Astro7x posted:

If you are pissed about how much MK8D costs, then trade in the Wii U version now and get like $25 for it while you still can. And remember that if you got it early you also got Pikmin 3 or some other game for free that you still keep. If you factor that each game was half the cost, that means you got MK8 for a couple years for about $5.

pikmin 3 frea*ing owns

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fremry posted:

Yeah, that's not the issue at all. Frame rate drops to single digits, choppiness that screws up your platforming, and a bunch of bugs like walls disappearing and stuff like that.
Oh, so like Zelda? I guess I should just never play that game again then...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have the entire collection of Smash Bros amiibo because they're literally the trophies from the game and I thought that was cool as heck. I have a couple more (Tom Nook, 8 Bit Mario) but I'm not trying to 100% the collection, getting all the Smash Bros ones was a pain in the rear end.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

This is a dumb post.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

pippy posted:

Amoeba exist inside all of us, my friend

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I am probably going to buy one of those amiibo action replays tho

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Astro7x posted:

Zelda doesn't really have much precision of anything, so there's not much worry for frame drops messing up timings of things. There are some tricky jumps for certain sequence break-y things like this but you don't even get frame drops in shrines anyways so there's no argument.

The case is potentially different for a normal platformer. If I'm on a tricky jump and the game starts lagging to poo poo and it messes up my jump and I die/lose a lot of progress cause you fall into a pit or down to the ground level, that's when it will start to be a problem. And because it's a platformer tricky jumps are probably going to happen frequently.

Also doesn't really excuse that it'll still make the game look like poo poo if it can't stay consistent (this includes Zelda).

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Cardboard Box posted:

i got this and tried to apply it even in a steamy bathroom as recommended and hosed it up, they sent me a replacement, and i still hosed it up somehow. i'm just going to throw caution to the wind on not using one because i live on the edge

I didn't use the steamy bathroom, just an overhead light. I ended up with one microscopic dust particle under the glass but it's only noticeable when the power's off so who cares :shrug:

It just takes time and using tape or stickers to grab dust after you use the pre-wipes.

Astro7x posted:

If you are pissed about how much MK8D costs, then trade in the Wii U version now and get like $25 for it while you still can. And remember that if you got it early you also got Pikmin 3 or some other game for free that you still keep. If you factor that each game was half the cost, that means you got MK8 for a couple years for about $5.

oh god I didn't realize they did this. "Hey buy our AAA title that you were going to buy anyways and we'll give you the best game released on the Wii U for free!"

Yikes A Zombie! fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 5, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

That would drive me insane. How hard is it just to apply the thing in a steamy bathroom and not worry about it at all?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The tale of How Infinitum Managed To Really Really Slow Down Binding of Isaac

Once upon a time Infinitum did a XXXXXXXXL challenge run and got Tammy's Head + Dr Fetus + Sad Bombs + Apple (Razor Tears) + Poison Tears + Coin Tears + Constant Base Damage Upgrades

He proceeded to one shot everything at 5fps.
The end.

The only way that could have been better is if I got the pyromaniac item to avoid taking bomb damage :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I have a bit of an odd request: Does anyone have one of the little black gamepad stands that came with the Wii U that they no longer want? Not the charging cradle, but just the simple little stand? I need a spare, and I figured I'd ask NintenGoons before buying one directly from Nintendo

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I finally found a place where the Joy-cons are inexplicably weak, and it's my basement. Yea anywhere else so far, I can play with my hands behind my back, upside down, but in that specific environment, my knee can literally be enough to jam the connection a foot and a half away from the switch.

Still agree that you should send in your joycons just to be safe. I'm a month in and this happened just now, but had I been living in the basement, it would've be unusable.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Protip BoI is one of the best games out on the system and I strongly recommend grabbing it if you bought it on Steam/PS4/etc previously

It is really really really drat good in handheld mode.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Cardboard Box posted:

i think it was some type of wii accessory

Yup, that tablet for the Wii.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I reinstalled the original binding of Isaac and didn't remember all the items and forgot that it doesn't tell you what they do. I dumped a lot of time into that but lol if I'm going to keep a wiki open when I'm playing a game. I finished my run at Mom and uninstalled.

Now, if they put Spelunky on the switch I'd buy that again.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I've never played BoI but am going to wait until it's marked down to $12 or included in a Switch Humble Bundle or whatever they are because it's the type of game that'll drop in price dramatically sooner than later.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stan Taylor posted:

I reinstalled the original binding of Isaac and didn't remember all the items and forgot that it doesn't tell you what they do. I dumped a lot of time into that but lol if I'm going to keep a wiki open when I'm playing a game. I finished my run at Mom and uninstalled.

Part of the fun of the game is learning what the items do and making choices based on the items you're given. "Okay, so orbital tears suck by themselves but if I get another item down the line that synergizes nicely with it, I'll be crazy OP... but am I gonna be able to make it out of this floor if I do take them?" (That was me last night, and no, I couldn't).

Sometimes you get an item that you don't know, and it's terrible, and it ruins your run. Sometimes you forget what Bob's Rotten Head looks like, you take it, and it ruins your run. That's part of the game. You're not gonna win every time, and sometimes it's not even your fault you lose.

Also Rebirth and the expansions make the game way, way better. I've tried playing the original flash version and I can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

All I have to say is that they need to make bob's brain look less like common cold, which is, in fact, a lot less common than bob's brain

• Locked thread