Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Has anyone here played the Ratchet and Clank remake for PS4? I picked it up along with Yakuza 0 yesterday, and I have mixed feelings about it.

I played the original three games back when they were on PS2, and I 100% them via the HD Collection on PS3 a couple of years ago. What I've played of the remake so far isn't bad, but it feels sort of off in terms of the combat. The blaster replacement fires really slowly compared to the original version, even after you've upgraded the rate of fire. I don't know how to describe it, but there's a weird sort of stiffness when attacking enemies, where as in the original, it felt more fluid.

Visually it look really nice, and I like that they kept true to the layouts of a lot of areas. Story and writing-wise, though, it feels really distant from the original. I know it was done as a sort of cross-promotion with the film, so style-wise, it comes across as them trying really hard to imitate a Pixar or Illumination film.

I don't know; it doesn't come across as bad, but there's something about it overall that feels off or paired-down compared to the original game, and I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on it.

EDIT: I also find the frame rate kind of iffy, but that's probably because I've been playing Nioh. I have the PS4 Pro, so maybe I need to enable the Boost Mode to see if it affects the performance.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I never played the original but I did feel the combat was a little clunky.

Overall it was really great though. Except the way they handle saves.

I chose the wrong option from the start menu after finishing the game and it wiped my new game+ save in favour of a new game from scratch.

There's no way of coming back from that I believe.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Where is my HD remastered Gex collection?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, I loved Persona 5 at first but now I have no choice but to consider it a worthless piece of trash because the shopping show on Sundays isn't Tanaka's Amazing Commodities. No jingle, no Tanaka, no nothing. Utter garbage :colbert:.

Max Wilco posted:

Has anyone here played the Ratchet and Clank remake for PS4? I picked it up along with Yakuza 0 yesterday, and I have mixed feelings about it.

I played the original three games back when they were on PS2, and I 100% them via the HD Collection on PS3 a couple of years ago. What I've played of the remake so far isn't bad, but it feels sort of off in terms of the combat. The blaster replacement fires really slowly compared to the original version, even after you've upgraded the rate of fire. I don't know how to describe it, but there's a weird sort of stiffness when attacking enemies, where as in the original, it felt more fluid.

Visually it look really nice, and I like that they kept true to the layouts of a lot of areas. Story and writing-wise, though, it feels really distant from the original. I know it was done as a sort of cross-promotion with the film, so style-wise, it comes across as them trying really hard to imitate a Pixar or Illumination film.

I don't know; it doesn't come across as bad, but there's something about it overall that feels off or paired-down compared to the original game, and I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on it.

EDIT: I also find the frame rate kind of iffy, but that's probably because I've been playing Nioh. I have the PS4 Pro, so maybe I need to enable the Boost Mode to see if it affects the performance.

Ratchet and Clank really does feel like a movie tie-in game. There's a couple of blatant scenes near the end that feel like you're missing about ten minutes of exposition.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I have a question about Persona 5, the interrogation cell scenes are apparently set six months in the future, but the calendar wraps around all the way to March of the following year. I take it that framing device is only for half the game?
It seems like it, I mean I didn't get the impression that the opening scene of the game was at the very end of the game. For starters, I only had 1 Persona and it was my starting Persona. :colbert:

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I had a great time with Ratchet 2016 but I've got no real fondness for the original, was more of a jak n daxter kind of guy. Don't remember having frame rate issues and this was on the OG ps4 but its tied with Horizon for being most beautiful game on ps4. I do remember a boss fight about 3/4 of the way in that annoyed me to the point of dropping the difficulty but overall its solid.

Just ordered Nier after reading this threads gushing about it, Horizon and Yakuza have kinda lost their grip on me and i was determined to wait for a price cut but the demo sold me hard.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Question: The new humble bundle has PS3 and PS4 games and apparently you must have a PSN account from a list of countries.
I don't have a PS4 yet but this seems a good way to get some games, the Darksiders ones are quite fun and Dungeon bros seems like a fun 4 player couch-coop one.

Here is the thing, I am in Germany, so in theory it doesn't work for me. Is it possible to create a US account from abroad?

Also, the way I understand it, downloaded PSN games on my primary account can be played by anyone using the PS4 but games downloaded on non-primary accounts can only be played when signed into that non-primary account.
So if I make the German PSN my primary account, then log into the US account to claim the games, the US account can access the US games plus the DE games but the DE account can only access DE games?
This is confusing...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hopper posted:

Question: The new humble bundle has PS3 and PS4 games and apparently you must have a PSN account from a list of countries.
I don't have a PS4 yet but this seems a good way to get some games, the Darksiders ones are quite fun and Dungeon bros seems like a fun 4 player couch-coop one.

Here is the thing, I am in Germany, so in theory it doesn't work for me. Is it possible to create a US account from abroad?

Also, the way I understand it, downloaded PSN games on my primary account can be played by anyone using the PS4 but games downloaded on non-primary accounts can only be played when signed into that non-primary account.
So if I make the German PSN my primary account, then log into the US account to claim the games, the US account can access the US games plus the DE games but the DE account can only access DE games?
This is confusing...

Make the US account primary too, you can play anything downloaded on to the system on any account on the the system.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Hopper posted:

This is confusing...

Systems are primary, not accounts. Each account gets one primary PS4, which can use all the account's stuff without signing in. It's remarkably similar to the Xbox way, only Sony figured out time-limited licenses in the PSP days, rather than only in the 2010s.

A PS4 can be the primary system for multiple accounts - I don't remember the limit but it isn't a practical concern.

So like the above, feel free to set this PS4 as the primary for all your accounts if you like.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 5, 2017

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I think the remake is 30 frames per second while the original was 60 even on PS2 (albeit with dips) so that might explain why it feels subtly off for you.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, I loved Persona 5 at first but now I have no choice but to consider it a worthless piece of trash because the shopping show on Sundays isn't Tanaka's Amazing Commodities. No jingle, no Tanaka, no nothing. Utter garbage :colbert:.

Ratchet and Clank really does feel like a movie tie-in game. There's a couple of blatant scenes near the end that feel like you're missing about ten minutes of exposition.

Ironically, the movie feels like it's missing a lot of action that happens in the game.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Is anyone playing Telltales Walking Dead season 3? There used to be threads but im guessing season 2 killed a lot of interest

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god, WD2 is so much fun. The writing is awful in the best way possible. :allears:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

the_american_dream posted:

Is anyone playing Telltales Walking Dead season 3? There used to be threads but im guessing season 2 killed a lot of interest

I'm playing it but Telltale made the baffling decision of "release first 2 episodes at once and then radio silence for 4 months" instead of having an episode release every month or other month.

I don't even know if episode 3 is out yet. Maybe I'll play it sometime soon but my interest has extremely waned since i wasn't too enthused in the direction the game was going and the incredibly long wait time.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I feel Telltale games are pretty played out in general. They've all just become generic mush based on license. I thought Batman did some interesting things, but not enough to elevate it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harlock posted:

I feel Telltale games are pretty played out in general. They've all just become generic mush based on license. I thought Batman did some interesting things, but not enough to elevate it.

I feel like they need to switch up their formula or something because they caught lightning in a bottle with TWD1 but have really stagnated since then, while other narrative games have managed to elevate the form.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Telltale are the Funko Pop of games

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like my interest in telltale style games has increased while my actual interest in telltale games has dropped significantly.

Some of their stuff is written pretty well. Nothing has come close to TWD season 1 and they are just so janky and formulaic and I'm not super into the art style. It's hard for me to care.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I stopped playing the Batman one when I realized that it was never going to let me go full outlaw. Alfred kept saying things like "if you do things like that you'll endanger your relationship with the police" and I'm like no poo poo Sherlock, Batman can only function if everyone knows he is independent from the police, but something always happened to make the police forgive me. I've seen though Telltale's shtick and it's not fun anymore.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 5, 2017

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
For me being a fan of the Telltale games since when the brought back Sam and max, I feel I'm now totally wise to the fact you're decisions don't really change much.

They give you the illusion of choice but the overall narrative remains the same.

I have not played the Batman or WD3 games yet I do plan to once I see them on sale though

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's a metaphor for life

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FishBulb posted:

It's a metaphor for life
Nah in life you can absolutely gently caress up socially so bad that no one wants to talk to you ever again. In Telltale Games, the other characters will ultimately forgive you no matter what you do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think other games hide the illusion of choice much better than Telltale though.

Like in Until Dawn, each character can die only at 2-3 very specific scripted points, but the constant tension of knowing they CAN all die keeps the player guessing throughout. Telltale still has those frustrating moments of "you made this seemingly impactful decision, but the thing you didn't want to happen happened anyway five minutes later" that really take you out of the narrative.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I view Telltale game as essentially Visual Novels and I'm okay with that. They do a specific thing and it's usually good enough that I have a good time with the game while I don't have to make huge commitments to play. I actually really liked the Batman game, Borderlands was quite funny, and TWD Season 1 was good. I disliked TWD Season 2, and Game of Thrones was just downright bad. I really wouldn't care if Game of Thrones doesn't get a sequel.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
People rave about the telltale Borderlands games but the first episode did nothing for me. I feel like such an outlier especially given i loved Borderlands 1 and 2 but those telltale ones are some of the most universally praised games I've seen on this forum.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Kin posted:

I never played the original but I did feel the combat was a little clunky.

Overall it was really great though. Except the way they handle saves.

I chose the wrong option from the start menu after finishing the game and it wiped my new game+ save in favour of a new game from scratch.

There's no way of coming back from that I believe.

I concur, this "you have one save and can't save at will" system is atrocious - I'm not opposed to auto-saves, but they took it too far. Thankfully it seems to save often, but I'd still rather have at least "save and quit" option, and even that isn't a given.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I really enjoyed NieR: Automata starting up with "This game does NOT auto save. Play the game to find out how to save" because every other game starts with that "this game auto saves" poo poo.

Although I didn't appreciate accidentally selling my OS chip and losing half an hour's progress, including a boss. Whoops.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Macarius Wrench posted:

People rave about the telltale Borderlands games but the first episode did nothing for me. I feel like such an outlier especially given i loved Borderlands 1 and 2 but those telltale ones are some of the most universally praised games I've seen on this forum.

The first episodes has some good stuff but the really funny scenes happen later IMO. I dunno, its a comedy game so it's very much going to be your thing or not. I like the way it tells the story. The characters are narrating the game, so some stuff that gets super over exaggerated is because the characters are embellishing, and it causes funny stuff like the bro scene to happen (you can YouTube that) and I just reminded myself of the finger gun scene which was actually a really funny take on a big action scene using the Telltale engine.

I dunno, I thought it all just really worked well together. I can also get why people wouldn't get into it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm a little unreasonably annoyed at Persona 5's insistence on not taking any screenshots, even when acquiring trophies. It's just...like, kind of annoying for no particular reason.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Morpheus posted:

I'm a little unreasonably annoyed at Persona 5's insistence on not taking any screenshots, even when acquiring trophies. It's just...like, kind of annoying for no particular reason.

Being annoyed with that is perfectly reasonable. The recording blocking features of ps4 are stupid.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I just bought Persona 5 through the Amazon Prime discount, can anyone help me invent time travel now because I am only 25 hours into Yakuza 0 (and just unlocked the Cabaret Club) and still have Nier: Automata waiting untouched after that.

At least I can justify it because dealz right?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Akuma posted:

I really enjoyed NieR: Automata starting up with "This game does NOT auto save. Play the game to find out how to save" because every other game starts with that "this game auto saves" poo poo.

Although I didn't appreciate accidentally selling my OS chip and losing half an hour's progress, including a boss. Whoops.

In a game that doesn't have auto save, you didn't save after a boss? LOL

Sorry for laughing. But it's funny. It's a pretty great game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wasn't Wolf Among Us Peru variable? People seem too rave about that one being their best.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Wolf Among Us. No ALL Telltale games are best played once. That's your story, move along. If you peak too far behind the curtain you can ruin it for yourself. As seen by many a goon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bombadilillo posted:

Wolf Among Us. No ALL Telltale games are best played once. That's your story, move along. If you peak too far behind the curtain you can ruin it for yourself. As seen by many a goon.

Yeah, I've only played TWAU but it was clear the choices you make are to shape the characters, not the plot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think Telltale games do a particularly good job of hiding what's behind the curtain while you're playing it, either. This was forgiveable during TWD1 because of its novelty but they pull the same stuff over and over.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Boogalo posted:

Being annoyed with that is perfectly reasonable. The recording blocking features of ps4 are stupid.

It's so silly that Sony pushed the Share button so much, and that so many Japanese (and some Western I assume) turn it off during cutscenes. P5's blocking is by far the most annoying I've experienced.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't most big-time streamers use their own HDMI capture gear anyway?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why are watch dog selfies this addictive, ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

haveblue posted:

Don't most big-time streamers use their own HDMI capture gear anyway?

Yes but even then they're "discouraged" from streaming past (date spoiler)7/7 in game. Which is a spoiler in it's own right.