Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Seriously gently caress that card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
loving beaten.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

they better reprint Hero's Downfall

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
if anyone here was actually hoping to play standard one day, i'm sorry for your loss

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Trial of ambition is, like, REALLY good.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Oh good, just what standard needed. A 3 mana 4/4 indestructible, that can get itself out of Tower or Unlicensed range. This should make Mardu Vehicles playable. Good work Wizards

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

quote:

And why not? he thought. We're all in this for our own reasons. It's so drat messy—all of us, all our emotions and drives and goals.

He felt a cool hand on his arm, and he took a deep breath before looking down to smile at Nissa. Jace arched an eyebrow at him. Messy, Gideon thought again. He was young—probably closer to sixteen, Gideon figured—but he carried himself with poise and confidence. And the balance of a well-trained soldier, Gideon thought. Or maybe a dancer, he amended.

Look, I was going to pull out the choice bits and cobble together a Jace x Gideon fanfic out of this but then I looked at how long the page was.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Trial of ambition is, like, REALLY good.

Yeah it's great. Should be fun to play against with Guardian too...

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

80s James Hetfield posted:

Oh good, just what standard needed. A 3 mana 4/4 indestructible, that can get itself out of Tower or Unlicensed range. This should make Mardu Vehicles playable. Good work Wizards

Actually, the +1 is really good AGAINST vehicles.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Lol at each cartouche potentially generating value except the red one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I could see that Gideon doing work in places other than standard, that effect is really powerful if you can't bolt it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

I could see that Gideon doing work in places other than standard, that effect is really powerful if you can't bolt it

There are legacy decks that can't beat the Emblem...

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The more I read new Gid and the more it seems a control piece, not an aggro one.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

The Trial/Cartouche cycle are loving amazing for limited and exactly the sort of enchantment matters theme that would have been awesome to have in Theros, the enchantment matters set, lol.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

Go home Wizards, you're drunk.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

black potus posted:

Its a reprint of a card that was a loving house in RDW

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

black potus posted:

As a red player I am fine with a hammerhand reprint.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah I definitely want to try those in my peasant cube.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

This loving Gideon is worse than the previous ones (by worse i mean worse for standard). And it will be 60 bucks a pop.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This loving Gideon is worse than the previous ones (by worse i mean worse for standard). And it will be 60 bucks a pop.

Agreed. It's horrible.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

The list of legacy decks that cannot beat this Gideon is: preboard storm
still might be playable though, as another lock piece.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a question of you. Are you looking for the next Night's Whisper? The next Read the Bones? The next Painful Truths? Because boy howdy this card is not that

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Why would you ever print that last ability

Ever

Hero's downfall had better be in the set

E: like I see why it's there in a vacuum but hoo boy is it dangerous

Jen X fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 5, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Oh also anyone who wants Planechase massdrop has it for 75 right now.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

There better be some real good walker killers. Like 1R deal 4 damage to target permanent, downfall, a deck for the hasty dragon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a question of you. Are you looking for the next Night's Whisper? The next Read the Bones? The next Painful Truths? Because boy howdy this card is not that

How does any Delver variant beat it backed up by some disruption?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I want to use it in esper walkers in modern. T3 New Gideon, t4 verdict, t5 Big Gideon plus to 8 seems difficult for a lot of things to beat.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Lol what deck can't remove a planeswalker?

Like any creature deck obv has answers out the wazoo

ANT has chain of vapor and possibly abrupt decay (if they aren't all in on Gideon tribal)

Painted stone eliminates their deck and then swings at Gideon with their recruiters and painters

Seriously what legacy deck doesn't have creatures or blue?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

How does any Delver variant beat it backed up by some disruption?

You attack it.

a 3-mana "gain 3-5 life" is not an especially powerful card.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

You attack it.

It does require a pretty developed board to deal with it

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Serperoth posted:

"Hm, these people paid a good amount of money to get those Standard rewards... Let's NOT do that any more!"

EDIT:

It's easy to be popular when it's the only format getting a major push, and not just the mandatory reprints.

EDIT2:

:wtc:

Sun and Moon is pleased as gently caress. Hell yeah boys.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jabor posted:

You attack it.

The +1 turns off a Delver

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GeneX posted:

Why would you ever print that last ability

Ever

Hero's downfall had better be in the set

E: like I see why it's there in a vacuum but hoo boy is it dangerous

same reason emrakul had a mindslaver effect plus cost reduction mechanic

design comes up with a flashy "iconic" effect, doesn't consider how awful and unfun it would be to play against constantly, then hands it off to development and says "here, make this standard playable"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tales of Woe posted:

that emblem is redundant in standard

I lol'd.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Elyv posted:

And doomsday.
Miracles could have a hard time with it if it was on board for a while.
Enchantress might have issues.
There are some that could struggle with it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

hey, remember how much people like Read the Bones? what if we made that card but lovely?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

this is not as good as the BFZ one. if that one was rotating out now, as they presumably expected when they okayed this card, it wouldn't be a huge deal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jabor posted:

You attack it.

You need multiple creatures to attack it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Why do they make every Gideon so good, what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I don't think it's all that great outside of standard

In standard, it's a brick wall that just keeps growing each turn and requires at least 2 unblocked creatures just to start whittling it away, and indeed one that literally has to go away so you can win

Especially since it specifically says "target permanent" instead of "target creature", meaning vehicles are out

• Locked thread