Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
It'll be interesting to see how the slavery play style balances in 1.5 - certainly in the livestream Cknoor was able to expand quite rapidly using it, despite being ostensibly terrible at the game. I would guess that the unrest mechanic will be tweaked a few times to help manage it.

Bit disappointed there doesn't seem to have been more of a weapon rebalance, but I assume that'll come later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
The planet surface texture is a work in progress.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 5, 2017

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Looks amazing already! :o

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I haven't been keeping up with this thread so I don't know if anyone posted this earlier, but this seems important for everyone to know:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/849564266776625153

Please note that games started in 1.4.x versions of Stellaris will not work in 1.5! You can opt in to continue on 1.4.1 through the beta tab

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Guilliman posted:

Hi there! I'm the mod's dev. I kind of want to keep yellow modifiers as neutral "flavor/story" modifiers. Primarily because it makes it a lot easier to check planet modifiers. When you look around for a planet, you can just ignore all yellow modifiers and focus on the red (bad) or green (good) ones. It saves a lot of tedious reading modifiers.

Hey, that's cool, was just an idea. Your mod kicks rear end btw.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

VirtualStranger posted:

So what if, instead of new buildings showing up in the top banner image to denote planet growth, most of the buildings depicted started off dark and lit up as the colony grows to represent more of the planet's megacity structures actually being used?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So I tried playing this

I got through the part of the tutorial where I colonized a planet and then my next door neighbors the insane religious mushroom men orbitally bombed me to death with a fleet like five times the size of mine

I am not good at 4X games

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

GunnerJ posted:

Hey, that's cool, was just an idea. Your mod kicks rear end btw.

I already "fixed" it.

Next update (tomorrow after utopia) planet modifiers will come in the following border colors:

Green: Only positive modifiers
Yellow: both positive and negative modifiers
Red: only negative modifiers
Grey: neutral flavor/story text modifiers
Blue: precursor modifiers (super good!)
purple: modifiers you get trough an event (always good) or modifiers that allows you to do special things like build unique armies (and maybe in the future, ships).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Blockhouse posted:

I am not good at 4X games

Me neither, but the faster start mod helps a lot. The AI gets the boost as well, but I find it helps me remain competitive at the start as I am Bad At Micro.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Blockhouse posted:

I colonized a planet and then my next door neighbors the insane religious mushroom men orbitally bombed me to death with a fleet like five times the size of mine

Welcome to Stellaris

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

VirtualStranger posted:

It might look weird, but the nightside should probably be fully lit. Right now you've got giant Australia sized swathes of mega-city where nobody has their lights on. :lol:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Well all my work got cancelled tomorrow.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was only skimming the patch notes, but did robot workers get nerfed at all? Funny enough I've never gone the slave route (except enslave then quick purge to put in my place my own pops) but the robot route. Yeah they can't do energy but the labor I free up in agriculture and minerals usually makes up for it.

Guilliman posted:

I already "fixed" it.

Next update (tomorrow after utopia) planet modifiers will come in the following border colors:

purple: modifiers you get trough an event (always good) or modifiers that allows you to do special things like build unique armies (and maybe in the future, ships).

Not to sound like a jerk, but what mod is this? I just jumped in the thread and this sounds cool.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 5, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Benagain posted:

Well all my work got cancelled tomorrow.

Praise Wiz.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I was only skimming the patch notes, but did robot workers get nerfed at all? Funny enough I've never gone the slave route (except enslave then quick purge to put in my place my own pops) but the robot route. Yeah they can't do energy but the labor I free up in agriculture and minerals usually makes up for it.

Why would they be? Basic robots have +20% to minerals and no bonuses to food, right? And even droids still have penalties to energy and science. It's not until synths that you get something that might be argued as overpowered, and that's an expensive tech, and unless you're materialist it has a significant chance of causing a revolt that's a real pain in the rear end. And even then gene modded organics are better at whatever they're specialized in.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Not to sound like a jerk, but what mod is this? I just jumped in the thread and this sounds cool.

This one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865040033

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Staltran posted:

Why would they be? Basic robots have +20% to minerals and no bonuses to food, right? And even droids still have penalties to energy and science. It's not until synths that you get something that might be argued as overpowered, and that's an expensive tech, and unless you're materialist it has a significant chance of causing a revolt that's a real pain in the rear end. And even then gene modded organics are better at whatever they're specialized in.

I dunno I just figured if I enjoy using it, it's probably overpowered. Even with the lack of energy (and negative in that case) and sci bonuses they are just great for a new planet or a recently conquered one. Especially when you don't have a large population to fill out the tiles or meeting the colonization advancement pop requirement. Funny enough I don't even recall getting to Synths.

Thanks!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Guilliman posted:

I already "fixed" it.

This sounds awesome and the mod is real good, my only complaint is some of the icon pictures seem out of scale but that's incredibly minor.

Couple questions:
Can you terraform more than once to keep rolling modifiers or is it just once?
Did you rework any of them for Utopia? I can see some of the food ones getting a little out of hand now, as an example.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 5, 2017

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

GunnerJ posted:

So what if, instead of new buildings showing up in the top banner image to denote planet growth, most of the buildings depicted started off dark and lit up as the colony grows to represent more of the planet's megacity structures actually being used?

I haven't gotten to modding any of the in-game mechanics yet (and I probably won't until I've played 1.5 for a bit to get a better idea how to balance it) but my idea was that you could only turn a planet into a megacity after it has been fairly well developed.

I'm thinking that I might have a tech, either a new one or one of the existing ones, that unlocks a very expensive building that can only be built on a planet if it has a planetary capital (The currently existing planetary capital can only be built if a planet has at least 12 pops). Once it's built, it will enable you to start a fairly lengthy "terraforming" project to change the planet to the city type.

Once it's done, the planet will get a modifier that gives a significant boost to energy credits, science, and influence, a moderate penalty to mineral production, and a severe penalty to food production.

Fintilgin posted:

It might look weird, but the nightside should probably be fully lit. Right now you've got giant Australia sized swathes of mega-city where nobody has their lights on. :lol:

The problem with that is that every planet type uses the same file to render the city lights. If I altered it, it would show up that way on every inhabited planet.

What I might do is change the color of the planet's atmosphere to a more yellow-ish hue, to simulate light pollution.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

VirtualStranger posted:

I haven't gotten to modding any of the in-game mechanics yet (and I probably won't until I've played 1.5 for a bit to get a better idea how to balance it) but my idea was that you could only turn a planet into a megacity after it has been fairly well developed.

I'm thinking that I might have a tech, either a new one or one of the existing ones, that unlocks a very expensive building that can only be built on a planet if it has a planetary capital (The currently existing planetary capital can only be built if a planet has at least 12 pops). Once it's built, it will enable you to start a fairly lengthy "terraforming" project to change the planet to the city type.

Once it's done, the planet will get a modifier that gives a significant boost to energy credits, science, and influence, a moderate penalty to mineral production, and a severe penalty to food production.

Ah, I see. What I was basing my suggestion on is the possibility that you could come across spookily empty megacity worlds and colonize them but that's not the plan so!

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Mazz posted:

This sounds awesome and the mod is real good, my only complaint is some of the icon pictures seem out of scale but that's incredibly minor.

Couple questions:
Can you terraform more than once to keep rolling modifiers or is it just once?
Did you rework any of them for Utopia? I can see some of the food ones getting a little out of hand now, as an example.

Yeah some of the icons need a bit of work. There was a bit of guessing how much of the icon gets covered by the borders. As I work with a template the entire template is a bit off. For most modifiers it's fine but a few need tweaking. I'll get to it eventually.

For now the modifier "rerolling" when terraforming only happens once. This is because every "month" of gametime, the script checks for freshly terraformed planets. Once the script rerolls the modifiers it applies a tag that prevents rerolling. For now I haven't found any other way of doing it without ALL terraformed planets rerolling every month. Sadly there's no on_action to call an event directly after terraforming.

As for the second question; I haven't touched food modifiers just yet. I have thought about it but I need to see how exactly food numbers are on planets. Since they're percentages they'll scale anyway. I do plan to switch a few around with the new modifiers (consumer goods/megastructure build speed/megastructure build cost).

Most will remain the same though. There will be a few new ones for ringworlds and habitats. Naturally, habitats will not roll any of the current existing ones as that wouldn't make much sense. For now, I primarily want to make sure the mod still works after the update so people can start games without feeling like they miss out if I update late (since modifiers are done at the start of the game). Adjustments are easier as that applies to savegames :)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

VirtualStranger posted:

---

The problem with that is that every planet type uses the same file to render the city lights. If I altered it, it would show up that way on every inhabited planet.

What I might do is change the color of the planet's atmosphere to a more yellow-ish hue, to simulate light pollution.

For the first thing, that sounds excellent and much preferable to an existing planet type.

For the second, maybe modify one of the existing planet textures so you can retain a bunch of water to cut the lack of light part in size? Or maybe try to add the yellow to the texture overlay to mimic it, although I can see how that would repeat a bit obviously if the texture is just stretched to fit.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 5, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You know how youtubers often get advanced copies of the DLC to hype up? I sort of wish prolific modders got the same. Maybe not a FREE copy, but their pre-order activating a week early or so. Something to help with beloved mods being ready for the next version.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, even when I mostly stopped playing beta versions of new patches, I'm glad when they exist, because modders can fix up their mods.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Baronjutter posted:

You know how youtubers often get advanced copies of the DLC to hype up? I sort of wish prolific modders got the same. Maybe not a FREE copy, but their pre-order activating a week early or so. Something to help with beloved mods being ready for the next version.

The way Paradox does DLC, it's usually the accompanying patch that breaks everything anyway, so theoretically the modder would just need access to a beta of the patch, not even necessarily the DLC. On the other hand, Paradox having to decide who would GET that access feels like a can of worms best left closed.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I hadn't played since 1.2, heard there was a major expansion coming out and decided to start a new game to judge if it's worth getting back into it.

Holy poo poo this is a very different game from what it was back then. And very much better I'd say. Looking forward to play it some more and if it catches me again I'll probably get the expansion. Paradox has me hooked, there's also the EU4 expansion coming tomorrow... drat

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TorakFade posted:

I hadn't played since 1.2, heard there was a major expansion coming out and decided to start a new game to judge if it's worth getting back into it.

Holy poo poo this is a very different game from what it was back then. And very much better I'd say. Looking forward to play it some more and if it catches me again I'll probably get the expansion. Paradox has me hooked, there's also the EU4 expansion coming tomorrow... drat

There is also a stellaris expansion tomorrow as well, which has been described as the most massive and good expansion they've ever done.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Baronjutter posted:

There is also a stellaris expansion tomorrow as well, which has been described as the most massive and good expansion they've ever done.

Yeah I saw it, and now I see on their store there's a bundle containing both Stellaris Utopia and EU4 Mandate of Heaven at 10% off...

if they also put a discount on Leviathans, then they shall have all my money. drat you Paradox and your addictive drug-games :argh:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

TorakFade posted:

Yeah I saw it, and now I see on their store there's a bundle containing both Stellaris Utopia and EU4 Mandate of Heaven at 10% off...

if they also put a discount on Leviathans, then they shall have all my money. drat you Paradox and your addictive drug-games :argh:

they have!

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

My computer is still set to Korea time so I thought Utopia came out today :(

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

poly and open-minded posted:

My computer is still set to Korea time so I thought Utopia came out today :(

Meanwhile, I thought for some reason it was coming out closer to my birthday - and I am happy to be wrong!

I've had refund money sitting in my Steam wallet for ages - time to drop it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really thought this asian dlc for eu4 had been out for a while so I fired it up to play to enjoy all the free patch features but didn't notice any big difference and now I feel a fool. Crazy they're releasing both DLC on the same day.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, given that I basically have to choose one or the other to lose myself in for hundreds of hours as I don't have two separate heads, I'm going to wait for MoH to go on sale. Looks a bit feature bloatey, anyway.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

And the only reason they are not releasing CK2 today is that they rushed the release. There's a big feature patch going live this week. At least in Beta.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I want to play tonight but I think I'll wait for Utopia tomorrow, then burn through my modpack and update poo poo.

I'm number one now for 3 months, so I'm kind of taking it seriously at this point.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Those bastards!

I'm ready as hell for Utopia, but they should really have released it today to coincide with First Contact Day.

They should also sponsor the building of a statue of Zefram Cochrane in Bozeman.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
One last shameless self-promotion, before I disappear into the depths of modding and testing madness of my mapgoons multiplayer game, coming up THIS friday evening Euro time: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773305&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post470902347 - for anyone here who'd perhaps like to try out Utopia as part of a fairly large casual multiplayer game with barely any restrictions.

Otherwise, wish everyone in the thread much fun rediscovering the game and will eagerly await the first report of nerve-stapling your fallen enemies or what said really bad event of The Shroud really is!

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Just wanted to post that I think its really cool that Paradox added the portrait from this mod into the base game.

Forlorn Descendants is a pretty fun alternative start and I hope its updated for patch 1.5 soon.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

CrazyLoon posted:

One last shameless self-promotion, before I disappear into the depths of modding and testing madness of my mapgoons multiplayer game, coming up THIS friday evening Euro time: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773305&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post470902347 - for anyone here who'd perhaps like to try out Utopia as part of a fairly large casual multiplayer game with barely any restrictions.

Otherwise, wish everyone in the thread much fun rediscovering the game and will eagerly await the first report of nerve-stapling your fallen enemies or what said really bad event of The Shroud really is!

This sounds very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

There an active goon stellaris discord community? One in the OP seems pretty dead.

• Locked thread