Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

This gideon, eventually +0 for emblem, launch 4 mana Gideon and laugh as you drown the board in chaff and never die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Why do they make every Gideon so good, what the gently caress

http://magiccards.info/gtc/en/13.html

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a question of you. Are you looking for the next Night's Whisper? The next Read the Bones? The next Painful Truths? Because boy howdy this card is not that

Eh it's fine for a grindy limited format, and standard still has Painful Truths. Not every card has to be scrutinized for power level.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

And doomsday.
Miracles could have a hard time with it if it was on board for a while.
Enchantress might have issues.
There are some that could struggle with it.

Miracles doesn't play to win before turn 20 anyway and can just kill it with Mentor. Enchantress builds run some number of o ring effects, kill with Emrakul or a swarm of angels, and also no one plays it. Doomsday I'll give you.

mcmagic posted:

How does any Delver variant beat it backed up by some disruption?

Red delver decks: creatures + bolts. Green delver decks: Abrupt Decay. I think it still might be playable, but no answers is a significant overestimation

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
T2 Heart of Kiran, T3 Gideon into emblem, crew Heart, swing. T4 animate Gideon, crew Heart with a loyalty counter, swing for 8, drop Gideon, make a Knight.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The only standard format where a card like this is reasonable is one in which Lightning Bolt is legal. It's at least as powerful as Ally, might be more so.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

And doomsday.
Miracles could have a hard time with it if it was on board for a while.
Enchantress might have issues.
There are some that could struggle with it.

I don't think it's a problem for Miracles at all. You can't attack with it into Miracles' open mana because our removal doesn't respect indestructible, the +1 isn't particularly relevant, and you can just put your opponent to dead and then deal with the Gideon with mentor tokens or angels or council's judgement or Venser or w/e. Nowhere near as scary as Ally of Zendikar is for us.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

mcmagic posted:

You need multiple creatures to attack it.

As we all know, Delver only runs one creature, and also the deck with Force, Daze, Wasteland, Bolt, and Abrupt Decay has no other ways to interact with a 3 mana sorcery.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Every legacy deck that can't kill it in combat can run abrupt decay or judgment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

Miracles doesn't play to win before turn 20 anyway and can just kill it with Mentor. Enchantress builds run some number of o ring effects, kill with Emrakul or a swarm of angels, and also no one plays it. Doomsday I'll give you.

Red delver decks: creatures + bolts. Green delver decks: Abrupt Decay. I think it still might be playable, but no answers is a significant overestimation

You're talking a 2 or 3 for one and that is best case. NTM it's it's own clock and it's not like you won't back it up with disruption.

ChewyLSB posted:

As we all know, Delver only runs one creature, and also the deck with Force, Daze, Wasteland, Bolt, and Abrupt Decay has no other ways to interact with a 3 mana sorcery.

Delver decks are terrible at going wide.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

You need multiple creatures to attack it.

I guess a three-mana spell that answers a single creature and gains some life is just the straw that breaks the back of Legacy.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

You're talking a 2 or 3 for one and that is best case. NTM it's it's own clock and it's not like you won't back it up with disruption.

Have you ever heard of our Lord and savior swords to plowshares?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This card is AT WORST the 2nd best 3 mana walker ever printed. It might be the best one.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Have you ever heard of our Lord and savior swords to plowshares?

1) You won't attack into swords mana if you aren't terrible.

2) You'll have your own swords to protect gideon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jabor posted:

I guess a three-mana spell that answers a single creature and gains some life is just the straw that breaks the back of Legacy.

I think mcmagic is being a bit hysterical, but that's a disingenuous way of describing a PW.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Archfiend of Ifnir
3BB
Creature - Demon
Flying

Whenever you cycle or discard another card, put a -1/-1 counter on each creature your opponents control.

Cycling 2 (2, Dicard this card: Draw a card.)

So does anyone think this one has some potential? Reminds me of the good old days of Phyrexian Plaguelord and Thrashing Wumpus. Big black curve-topper that wipes out your opponent's board and gets in there. I think the cycling makes it pretty likely to see some play.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

This card is AT WORST the 2nd best 3 mana walker ever printed. It might be the best one.

1) You won't attack into swords mana if you aren't terrible.

2) You'll have your own swords to protect gideon.

Both lilis say hello

1) guess he isn't much of a clock then
2) stp is strong against council's judgement.

Have you ever actually played legacy?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Both lilis say hello

1) guess he isn't much of a clock then
2) stop is strong against council's judgement.

Have you ever actually played legacy?

You really aren't taking into account the way the play patterns of games go if you don't see the power level of this card. It's better than Last Hope. Also, Counsel's Judgement is a 1 of in 2 Legacy decks. It's not an easy answer to play.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

I think mcmagic is being a bit hysterical, but that's a disingenuous way of describing a PW.

What else does it do? I guess it turns into a clock eventually, maybe?

I mean, it's definitely insane in Standard (the land of 3 mana removal spells), where all those extra upsides are meaningful. But in Legacy etc. it's less efficient as an answer (relative to everything else you could use instead), and the other upsides are way less meaningful.

--

As an aside, if you're playing a Doomsday deck and have literally no bounce spells or abrupt decays you can put in your pile, you kinda deserve what you get.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Yes it will be impossible for them to have 2 creatures or lightning bolts or abrupt decay, good catch.

It's a good card but it isn't the unbeatable legacy nightmare you're pretending it is.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I mean, this totally signals a Heroes Downfall reprint, right guys? eh? guys?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
This guy is arguably more powerful than second Lilly, though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

Yes it will be impossible for them to have 2 creatures or lightning bolts or abrupt decay, good catch.

It's a good card but it isn't the unbeatable legacy nightmare you're pretending it is.

It's only a nightmare in standard. But it's going to be very good in Legacy too.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Permanents dying to removal doesn't seem like the best way to criticize this card tbh. In my mind, the weakest thing about it is that it will never generate card advantage. It can lock down a creature and force your opponent to dig for an answer, but it can't leave anything behind. It's still very powerful, but it's not the best 3 mana Planeswalker ever printed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

This guy accrues no card advantage while he sits around and that's a real thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Smashing Link posted:

Archfiend of Ifnir
3BB
Creature - Demon
Flying

Whenever you cycle or discard another card, put a -1/-1 counter on each creature your opponents control.

Cycling 2 (2, Dicard this card: Draw a card.)

So does anyone think this one has some potential? Reminds me of the good old days of Phyrexian Plaguelord and Thrashing Wumpus. Big black curve-topper that wipes out your opponent's board and gets in there. I think the cycling makes it pretty likely to see some play.

The problem is it's a 5 mana sorcery that gains no value without extra resources. Cycling definitely makes it at least enter the conversation, but you're not including a clunky draw 1 if the base card doesn't stand on its own. ATM, I don't think the effect is powerful enough given the required set up.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sigma-X posted:

Only in standard I think. Not better than either Liliana in eternal formats.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Welp, no way I'm not playing Grasp for a while.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

At the very least I figure this card wasn't meant to have 4 mana Gideon in standard with it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

You really aren't taking into account the way the play patterns of games go if you don't see the power level of this card. It's better than Last Hope. Also, Counsel's Judgement is a 1 of in 2 Legacy decks. It's not an easy answer to play.

What deck do you think wants Gideon, and in what circumstances? Because i see it as "marginal sideboard card" right now

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

This guy accrues no card advantage while he sits around and that's a real thing.

It's +1 is Virtual card advantage.

Elyv posted:

What deck do you think wants Gideon, and in what circumstances? Because i see it as "marginal sideboard card" right now

Easily death and taxes, possibly Miracles and Abzan Loam variants.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Some ad nauseam players have pointed out that this might be a 1 or 2 of in the deck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

If you're +1'ing every turn, you've spent one card, and answered one card. That's not "advantage", that's a 1-for-1.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Lmao this Gideon turbofucks aetherflux reservoir decks but y'all are being a little hysterical about its impact in eternal formats

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jabor posted:

If you're +1'ing every turn, you've spent one card, and answered one card. That's not "advantage", that's a 1-for-1.

That isn't how planeswalkers work. It sits on the table and generates more card advantage as it sits there because you only pay for it once. If it blanks a creature for 2 turns that is already card advantage.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I don't want this card in Miracles.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

I think you're just shouting jargon at random now. Accept your lord and savior abrupt decay and relax.

D&T playing a 3 cmc planeswlker are you serious

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

That isn't how planeswalkers work. It sits on the table and generates more card advantage as it sits there because you only pay for it once. If it blanks a creature for 2 turns that is already card advantage.

That isn't how card advantage works

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Ah, now I understand why they were scared of showing us Amonkhet's Constructed cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

You know what else answers a creature for two turns? Doom Blade.

mcmagic posted:

I play D&T and I'm not sure why it would be better than some hate bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Blanking the same creature 2 turns in a row isn't card advantage any more than plowing a delver is card advantage two turns later because I only paid for it once and the delver didn't get to attack for multiple turns because of it.

• Locked thread