Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

That isn't how planeswalkers work. It sits on the table and generates more card advantage as it sits there because you only pay for it once. If it blanks a creature for 2 turns that is already card advantage.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think you're just shouting jargon at random now. Accept your lord and savior abrupt decay and relax.

D&T playing a 3 cmc planeswlker are you serious

D&T plays the 4 mana Gideon already at times...

Skyl3lazer posted:

That isn't how card advantage works

Yes it is. Planeswalkers are virtual card advantage. You don't understand virtual card advantage if you want to argue this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Pull up thread pull up!

Yes I see the irony

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

It's +1 is Virtual card advantage.

in the same way that creature with defender are card advantage engines, yes

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mcmagic posted:

That isn't how planeswalkers work. It sits on the table and generates more card advantage as it sits there because you only pay for it once. If it blanks a creature for 2 turns that is already card advantage.

No. This Gideon cannot ever deal with an opponents card permanently. If you blank a creature for 2 turns, it's still going to be there on the third. This doesn't leave anything behind if it's removed, regardless of how long it's on the battlefield, therefore it does not provide card advantage. This Gideon is essentially a 1WW 4/4 with upside.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Gideon and Standard forever and ever one hundred years

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

That creature really wasn't taken care of since it's still on the table too, ready to attack when a bigger bro comes in to take the debuff off.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I don't want to go back and look for it but pretend I emptyquoted the person who said the new Gideon's emblem is redundant with the old one not rotating

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sampatrick posted:

No. This Gideon cannot ever deal with an opponents card permanently. If you blank a creature for 2 turns, it's still going to be there on the third. This doesn't leave anything behind if it's removed, regardless of how long it's on the battlefield, therefore it does not provide card advantage. This Gideon is essentially a 1WW 4/4 with upside.

You actually will play other cards in your deck though and you can actually use Gideon's abilities differently when it is to your advantage to do so based on the game situation...

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Btw for those of you who don't know, Virtual Card Advantage is a term used to indicate the prevention of Card Advantage by opponent, or loss of CA yourself. If I Counterspell my opponent's Opportunity, I've gained Virtual Card Advantage.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

D&T plays the 4 mana Gideon already at times...

Hm, well then, I guess that justifies why they'd play a worse card that helps their gameplan even less.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

just to be clear, according to mcmagic's logic, this would give you card advantage for every turn it sits on the battlefield

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Yes it is. Planeswalkers are virtual card advantage. You don't understand virtual card advantage if you want to argue this.

Virtual card advantage means that you have one card that answers multiple. For instance, if I'm playing Lantern Control, I can have a stack of unplayable garbage in play because my Ensnaring Bridge is a de fact 8 for 1 or whatever.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

little munchkin posted:

just to be clear, according to mcmagic's logic, this would give you card advantage for every turn it sits on the battlefield
It's not adding a counter, without a number going up how can I claim that!??

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
fart advantage

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

If I play a Chalice of the Void on 1, and my opponent has 3 1 drops in hand and doesn't cast them, that's Virtual Card Advantage.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mcmagic posted:

You actually will play other cards in your deck though and you can actually use Gideon's abilities differently when it is to your advantage to do so based on the game situation...

Those are all true and 100% irrelevant things. Gideon of the Trials does not have the ability to generate card advantage.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Btw for those of you who don't know, Virtual Card Advantage is a term used to indicate the prevention of Card Advantage by opponent, or loss of CA yourself. If I Counterspell my opponent's Opportunity, I've gained Virtual Card Advantage.

No that is not true. When you counter a spell with a one for one counterspell, that is not card advantage.

quote:

Virtual card advantage can refer to a number of different situations and effects which, while not providing a direct advantage in the number of cards available, changes the value of the cards available to one or both players. There are four primary forms of virtual card advantage: card selection, recurring effects, tempo and playing such that the opponents cards are no longer as valuable to them.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I think new Gideon is pretty bad actually. He's a win more that offers little value on his own.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Or a pacifism with upside.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

No that is not true. When you counter a spell with a one for one counterspell, that is not card advantage.

But when you one-for-one +1 a planeswalker forever to stop one guy, that is?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Skyl3lazer posted:

I consider some repeatable activated abilities as well. Like token generation (if it's a relevant size) or creature destruction.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I think new Gideon is pretty bad actually. He's a win more that offers little value on his own.

I'm gonna save this for future lols.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How are they so bad at this. I really hope them moving people off this project was them admitting their designers were poo poo, and the next set won't be garbage.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Just think of him as a 4/4 that can sometimes be a Pacifism and sometimes randomly hate out some decks g1. He's still very good, just not the best thing since putting butter on your sliced bread.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ein Sexmonster posted:

yea everyone trying to justify how it's unbeatable is starting to convince me of the opposite

that said it's still an abysmal design. either it's oppressive and unfun or it's unplayable, with no in-between. some 8th edition poo poo for sure

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I hear fog is card advantage because I can blank all of my opponent's creatures for one turn.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

DangerDongs posted:

How are they so bad at this. I really hope them moving people off this project was them admitting their designers were poo poo, and the next set won't be garbage.

What's the chance that the phyrexian cosplay guy got booted?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

But when you one-for-one +1 a planeswalker forever to stop one guy, that is?

Are you really disingenuous enough to think that that's what the play patterns are going to be with this card?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

This Gideon is very good in standard, but mainly because the other Gideon exists and is very good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

little munchkin posted:

yea everyone trying to justify how it's unbeatable is starting to convince me of the opposite

that said it's still an abysmal design. either it's oppressive and unfun or it's unplayable, with no in-between. some 8th edition poo poo for sure

I 100% agree with this independent of anything else about the actual card's usefulness

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I'm gonna save this for future lols.

I could definitely see Zendikar Gideon pushing baby Gideon out for as long as they share the format. I also think baby Gideon goes into less decks, but could be misevaluating.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

little munchkin posted:

Oh yea I'm not saying he's a healthy card. I just think he's way too easy to answer and offers no ongoing value.
If you're keeping an unanswered planeswalker of any type alive you're probably winning anyway. And those actively help you win instead of stalling the game out.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

little munchkin posted:

the weird legacy derail does nothing to change the fact that Gideon Ally of Zendikar, already one of the strongest cards in Standard, will share a format (and a decklist) with this rear end in a top hat

EDIT: It doesn't even need to live a turn, all it has to do is drop its emblem the turn it's played and then move over for the Good Gideon

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ZeroCount posted:

the weird legacy derail does nothing to change the fact that Gideon Ally of Zendikar, already one of the strongest cards in Standard, will share a format (and a decklist) with this rear end in a top hat

They're pretty awkward when drawn together.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I could definitely see Zendikar Gideon pushing baby Gideon out for as long as they share the format. I also think baby Gideon goes into less decks, but could be misevaluating.

I think all signs are pointing to daddy Gideon not being long for this standardized world of ours

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

This Gideon is very good in standard, but mainly because the other Gideon exists and is very good.

If the other Gideon didn't exist this card would be a 4 of in multiple decks and the best card in Standard. It will probably be that anyway.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The more I think about it the less I'm worried about the emblem, but it might force people into playing cards like ruinous path more. Little Gids+ally Gids could be a good control strategy though.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Reprint Mirror Gallery so we can have 4 Gideon's in play...you know....for the lulz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Oh yea I'm not saying he's a healthy card. I just think he's way too easy to answer and offers no ongoing value.
If you're keeping an unanswered planeswalker of any type alive you're probably winning anyway. And those actively help you win instead of stalling the game out.

Isn't this the equivalent of saying it dies to removal? Obviously this is true and that's what makes the card not quite insane but still good. A 4/4 that resists sorcery speed interaction that can also be a Pacifism and also can randomly lock people out of a game is still very good.

• Locked thread