Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey thread, I'm a newcomer here and looking for some podcast recommendations. I'm particularly interested in horror/supernatural/suspense/dread kind of stuff. I listened to Welcome to Night Vale way back when it started but gave up on it when it stopped being about the town and focusing more on Cecil. I didn't mind the sense of humor though. I also gave The Black Tapes a fair shake and gave up around episode 112-- it felt like it was going nowhere fast, some of the performances were cringeworthy, and I got so sick of the advertisements and nothing happening for an entire episode. Also why spend 80% of an episode talking about how spooky these cave paintings are? It's like having someone read out the dialog of a comic and expecting it to be entertaining.

I've had Tanis recommended to me but I doubt I could put up with another PNWS podcast unless the performances and dialog were a lot better than TBT. I know Magnus Archives gets recommended a lot, and I'm gonna start Limetown, but any other strong recommendations? I need more supernatural horror in my life, especially something with a bigger picture storyline, which seems like TBT's biggest issue to me.

Mabel has been a good podcast so far but it's pretty esoteric.

Lore and Unexplained are good for weird history and it often veers into horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

HIJK posted:

Mabel has been a good podcast so far but it's pretty esoteric.

Oh drat Season 2 has started up; I should catch up on it

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey thread, I'm a newcomer here and looking for some podcast recommendations. I'm particularly interested in horror/supernatural/suspense/dread kind of stuff. I listened to Welcome to Night Vale way back when it started but gave up on it when it stopped being about the town and focusing more on Cecil. I didn't mind the sense of humor though. I also gave The Black Tapes a fair shake and gave up around episode 112-- it felt like it was going nowhere fast, some of the performances were cringeworthy, and I got so sick of the advertisements and nothing happening for an entire episode. Also why spend 80% of an episode talking about how spooky these cave paintings are? It's like having someone read out the dialog of a comic and expecting it to be entertaining.

I've had Tanis recommended to me but I doubt I could put up with another PNWS podcast unless the performances and dialog were a lot better than TBT. I know Magnus Archives gets recommended a lot, and I'm gonna start Limetown, but any other strong recommendations? I need more supernatural horror in my life, especially something with a bigger picture storyline, which seems like TBT's biggest issue to me.
The Magnus Archives is exactly what you're looking for.

Alice Isn't Dead is made by the Night Vale people, but is much tighter and more focused. Spines is similar and also good.

Mabel is fantastic, but it's less horror and more a poetic, stream-of-consciousness haunting.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'd say Tanis is superior to The Black Tapes.

Magnus is phenomenal and you should absolutely start listening. I've said it before, but it's the show I look forward to more than any of the others.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

I'd say Tanis is superior to The Black Tapes.

Magnus is phenomenal and you should absolutely start listening. I've said it before, but it's the show I look forward to more than any of the others.

Tanis's first few episodes are really cool and atmospheric and I'd recommend them to anyone, unless that person really really needs things to have endings.

Also is anyone listening to Bronzeville or what? It's 4 episodes into a projected 10-part run and it's a ton of fun so far. Gangsters in 1940s Chicago, with Laurence Fishburne. Lance Reddick and Wood Harris are in there too.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Looks like the NVP folks are gearing up for season 2 of Alice Isn't Dead.

quote:

A truck driver searches across America for the wife she had long assumed was dead. Part Two of her search is coming soon. To prepare, let’s relisten to Part One, starting with “Chapter One: Omelet,” this Friday.

Following that, we’re going to be relistening to an episode from Part One of Alice Isn’t Dead every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday this month. Listen with us and share your commentary on Twitter with #AliceIsntDead, or comment on our Facebook posts with your thoughts.

This Friday at 3 PM ET, Joseph Fink, the creator of Alice Isn’t Dead, will be giving live commentary on Chapter One and answering your questions on Twitter. Follow @AlicePodcast and add your voice to the conversation. Joseph Fink will also be hosting a Q&A for Chapter Ten on March 31 at 11 AM ET.

Need a reminder on how to listen? Check out our instructions here: http://www.nightvalepresents.com/aliceisntdead#how-to-listen

Keep an eye out on our official Twitter and Facebook pages for more information about our Part One relisten and news about Part Two.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm having a really hard time with a lot of these podcasts lately. Alice isn't Dead lost me at episode 7, I quit Night Vale ages ago, didn't finish season 2 of Tanis, and I'm months behind on Ars Paradoxica, Bright Sessions, and Wolf 359. The only one I'm even close to caught up on is Mabel. It's just seems like they lose momentum in the second season and start to meander.

I've mostly just ended up listening to Undisclosed and The F-Plus.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Echophonic posted:

I'm having a really hard time with a lot of these podcasts lately. Alice isn't Dead lost me at episode 7, I quit Night Vale ages ago, didn't finish season 2 of Tanis, and I'm months behind on Ars Paradoxica, Bright Sessions, and Wolf 359. The only one I'm even close to caught up on is Mabel. It's just seems like they lose momentum in the second season and start to meander.

Magnus Archives

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Yeah, I've been binging the Magnus Archives the last few days. Good fun.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Echophonic posted:

Ars paradoxica almost lost me but I'm glad I stuck around since every problem I had with it was intentional and addressed directly in the same season. Downside is it's at the end of the season...

Just caught up on Maebel. Only downside there was the dude from Sable in the season opener. That guy is so bad. Sable is still the only serial I've dropped. (I commute by car 90 mins a day and will listen to anything to stay sane. Anything but Sable apparently).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think everyone that makes, or wants to make, a podcast needs to listen to A Scottish Podcast. From a purely technical standpoint, it's damned near perfect. The overall sound levels are good, sound effects aren't either so loud they blow out your eardrums or so soft that you can't hear them at all, and the producers use common goddamn sense when it comes to relaying information from sources wherein the sound quality might be spotty: a few seconds will play in a spotty manner, then it transitions to a regular recording.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Homecoming is fuckin dope, what else is there like this?

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Hughlander posted:

Necro-posting on this... Which character(s) do you voice?

Necro-posting on your necro-post. I regularly voice Alice's mom Karen and have done a lot of one-shot and background characters including the Minnesota Devil, Connie, Frankie, and the teenage girl and old lady in the Mason episode, among many others.

I'm also either guesting or recurring in a bunch of audio dramas this year: Jim Robbie and the Wanderers (two musicians and a robot in the post-apocalypse,) Subject: FOUND (paranormal investigations,) Otherworldlies (an otherworldly carnival,) Very Horrible Stuff (paranormal investigators and chaos magical,) and possibly some other stuff that isn't set in stone yet.

Jim Robbie and Subject: FOUND have been up and running for a while, and Strange N Unusual is about to begin production of season 3.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
So I supported SAYER season four and had no idea what to do as my custom message from SAYER until I realized there was only one choice

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I'm finally listening to the Magnus Archives (it's great) and I'm about ~20 episodes in: do the recordings ever get louder? Maybe it's just me/my iphone earbuds, but I can barely hear the guy over the outside world when I'm walking around. Meanwhile the opening violin chords destroy my ears since I'm at the max volume (this is perhaps related).

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Tweak posted:

I'm finally listening to the Magnus Archives (it's great) and I'm about ~20 episodes in: do the recordings ever get louder? Maybe it's just me/my iphone earbuds, but I can barely hear the guy over the outside world when I'm walking around. Meanwhile the opening violin chords destroy my ears since I'm at the max volume (this is perhaps related).

I want to say they eventually fix the balance, but then again I may have just gotten used to it.. That said, I have a much easier time hearing him on my headphones than I do in the car.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Tweak posted:

I still have to turn the audio up way louder than any of my other podcasts.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't remember it ever getting louder, but I didn't notice because I also listen to the History of Byzantium podcast which is even quieter.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Clipperton posted:

Also is anyone listening to Bronzeville or what? It's 4 episodes into a projected 10-part run and it's a ton of fun so far. Gangsters in 1940s Chicago, with Laurence Fishburne. Lance Reddick and Wood Harris are in there too.

I picked this up based on your recommendation and mention of Wood Harris and Lance Reddick. It takes a couple episodes to hit its stride, but once it does, it's pretty good. It has some flaws (Larenz Tate's character is a bit too perfect, the depiction of Larry Fishburne's break with reality), but overall it's a lot of fun.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tweak posted:

It's gets better in that they lower the volume of the intro stuff so you are less likely to destroy your hearing by preemptively turning the volume up.

I still maintain that anyone currently producing or planning to produce a podcast needs to listen to A Scottish Podcast so they can hear what a group of people that actually understand audio engineering are capable of producing.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

I still maintain that anyone currently producing or planning to produce a podcast needs to listen to A Scottish Podcast so they can hear what a group of people that actually understand audio engineering are capable of producing.

It's really one of my favorites. Just had the privilege of interviewing Matthew McLean, and that was a blast. Great guy.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Bright Sessions chat:
Sam ; gently caress Yah

Amirite?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Hughlander posted:

Bright Sessions chat:
Sam ; gently caress Yah

Amirite?

Hell yah

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Bright Sessions chat:
Sam ; gently caress Yah

Amirite?

I cracked up at:
Sam: Yeah, not my best moment.
Dr. Bright: Agree to disagree...

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I started the Bright Sessions this morning and I'm motoring through them.

Caleb and Adam totally end up gay for each other, right?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

I started the Bright Sessions this morning and I'm motoring through them.

Caleb and Adam totally end up gay for each other, right?

yep and it's pretty adorable because they're two idiot teennagers

Magnus Archives has a Patreon now. $10/no gets you expanded info about the world of the Magnus Archives.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Len posted:

yep and it's pretty adorable because they're two idiot teennagers

Magnus Archives has a Patreon now. $10/no gets you expanded info about the world of the Magnus Archives.

More than halfway to their goal. Sweet :)

Link to Patreon https://www.patreon.com/rustyquill

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 31, 2017

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Nice. They're well worth the cash!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

Nice. They're well worth the cash!

Yeah I'm going to probably sign up when I get home and go until I don't think it's good anymore or if it turns out the expanded setting stuff sucks.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Hughlander posted:

Bright Sessions chat:
Sam ; gently caress Yah

Amirite?

Yes, it was immensely satisfying to hear Sam break Damien's nose. You can hear it in slow motion if you want: http://winstonisacannibal.tumblr.com/post/158999327783/the-moment-we-all-were-waiting-for-damien-getting

The Bright Sessions continues to be my absolute favorite podcast. I will say Chloe's self-righteousness is getting on my nerves a little, but that's a minor complaint.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Wow, Bright Sessions gets good the deeper you go. Some of the acting isn't stellar, but it gets better as it goes.

Damien's voice actor sounds like Dean Winchester on "Supernatural" sometimes.

Chloe is probably my least favorite of the group.. No offence to her personally, I just don't like the "mind reader having one sided conversation" trope.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Catching up on my podcasts, and I was actually holding my breath during Wolf 359, Episode: 42.

Holy poo poo.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I want to say first and foremost that I don't have any problem with this at all. That said, I've noticed that a lot of fictional podcast characters are LGBT.. Cecil and Carlos from Night Vale are no secret of course, but if you've read the book and pay attention to some of the side plots, most of the town seems to be gay or bi too. Now listening to the Bright Sessions, (spoilers for anyone who isn't up to date) Chloe is asexual, Mark is bi, Adam is gay, Caleb is.. something, bi maybe? There was some suspicion on Sam's part about Damien possibly being gay or bi or forcing Mark to do something. It's just strange that most of the more popular fictional podcasts are made up almost entirely of people on some sort of atypical sexual spectrum. Again, not a judgement, just an observation.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

Catching up on my podcasts, and I was actually holding my breath during Wolf 359, Episode: 42.

Holy poo poo.

Yeah. Those guys have really mastered drama.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I want to say first and foremost that I don't have any problem with this at all. That said, I've noticed that a lot of fictional podcast characters are LGBT.. Cecil and Carlos from Night Vale are no secret of course, but if you've read the book and pay attention to some of the side plots, most of the town seems to be gay or bi too. Now listening to the Bright Sessions, (spoilers for anyone who isn't up to date) Chloe is asexual, Mark is bi, Adam is gay, Caleb is.. something, bi maybe? There was some suspicion on Sam's part about Damien possibly being gay or bi or forcing Mark to do something. It's just strange that most of the more popular fictional podcasts are made up almost entirely of people on some sort of atypical sexual spectrum. Again, not a judgement, just an observation.

I laughed really hard in the second season of Ars Paradoxica when Sally made a huge point of proclaiming how she's asexual and then trying to explain that to someone from the 1940s. As if she wasn't already an amalgamation of enough annoying nerd tropes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone else notice how they just shoehorn them in when it doesn't really matter as well? Like does Sallys sexual preference matter to the story in any way? No? So why are we bringing it up?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Len posted:

Does anyone else notice how they just shoehorn them in when it doesn't really matter as well? Like does Sallys sexual preference matter to the story in any way? No? So why are we bringing it up?

Yeah, same with most of the Bright Sessions ones. Caleb and Adam, fine - I can get on board with that. Literally none of the others matter whatsoever, but they've made sure to bring it up! Its such a small world that they've set this in, too, which makes it feel extra forced.

That said, I downloaded all of them for the first time like 2 days ago and was really bummed today when I reached the end.. What's their update frequency like?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Every other week, I think? Theyve had weekly stints too IIRC, which funnily enough lined up with my weekly visits to the shrink last yearish.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

New Leaf posted:

• The audience finds it interesting for some reason and gravitates to it, or rewards the storytellers for that inclusion in some way
  • The writers/performers are, know of someone, or are interested in those kinds of characters and just feel like integrating them and their sexuality into the story
  • Anyone who might object (for "good" or "bad" reasons) will also subject themselves to being called a homophobe and so just keep silent, lending greater weight to the audience who digs it
  • It's a cheap and lazy way to inject something shiny into something that might not be as interesting without it
  • It's a way to attract an audience from a parallel podcast that has made use of similar characters

It's probably more the first two.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Len posted:

It shows yet another way she's alienated from and doesn't fit in with June Clever 1950s America?

• Locked thread