Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

rudatron posted:

Here's a better version:

Turns out there are dumb and gullible women who embrace social darwinism, because they think they'll be on top, don't really care about anyone but themselves, and lack the capacity to empathize with human beings as human beings.

Once they're stuck in an abusive relationship with an angry racist moron, that they can't leave and are economically dependent on, maybe they'll understand the irony of oppossing muslim migration because 'sharia law', then enabling what basically amounts to white-people-sharia at home.

reading this poo poo reminds me of my gfs ex. all he would do is rant about women and minorities and he would get enraged if she wore a dress that showed shoulders much less neck. he was also sexually and emotionally abusive. also he was like 40 and didn't work. most of these people a just all around sacks of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

reading this poo poo reminds me of my gfs ex. all he would do is rant about women and minorities and he would get enraged if she wore a dress that showed shoulders much less neck. he was also sexually and emotionally abusive. also he was like 40 and didn't work. most of these people a just all around sacks of poo poo.

wow what part of the middle east was he from

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

THC posted:

wow what part of the middle east was he from

he is waspy as gently caress.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

You're telling me that disdain for women isn't the sole domain of lesser races? :chanpop:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Why was a gay white man dating your girlfriend?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
My hunch is that the reason the alt-right loves 'cuck', is because it plays into sexual insecurities & race.

Embracing a hyper-aggressive and malicious politics, is a way to restore masculine 'sexual vitality', against the fantastical backdrop of the animalistic yet potent/virile Ethnic Other, and the alternative of perceived castration by 'Cultural Marxism'.

Which makes I think the left obsession with marginal sexual identities and such a bit of a non starter, and counter productive when you're talking about gender politics as a whole. You have to present a realistic vision of a normal, functional relationship that the majority of people can aspire to.

If the other guy is romanticizing the 50s nuclear family, and all you're talking about is polyamorous gay transsexuals, you're losing the public debate on gender, because you're not presenting something most people can actually identify with, nor care about.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

That article kind of reminded me of this vice documentary about the women of the Men's Rights movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6dC0AQ25xU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

rudatron posted:

Which makes I think the left obsession with marginal sexual identities and such a bit of a non starter, and counter productive when you're talking about gender politics as a whole. You have to present a realistic vision of a normal, functional relationship that the majority of people can aspire to.

If the other guy is romanticizing the 50s nuclear family, and all you're talking about is polyamorous gay transsexuals, you're losing the public debate on gender, because you're not presenting something most people can actually identify with, nor care about.

I get that on the one hand the trans community is less than 1% of the population, and even the gay community is only about 10% of the population, but the thing is if you're not willing to talk about marginalized identities in some capacity they tend to slip by the wayside. Its good to remember those identities exist and to talk about them publicly.

But I can also see the concern that the larger issues of the genders 99% of Americans identify with can get a little lost in progressive circles. I think thats just the nature of the internet though. People think alternate identities are way more common than they are because their online communities have way more of those identities in them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

rudatron posted:

My hunch is that the reason the alt-right loves 'cuck', is because it plays into sexual insecurities & race.

:shrug:

any time i pretty much hear that word used unironically i pretty much just assume whoever is using it is a sad little insecure person :smithfrog:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Not a Step posted:

the gay community is only about 10% of the population.

lol, wut? Try around, MAYBE, 3%.

Unless you're counting people who fall onto the LGBTIA spectrum in which case everyone.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Women who openly advocate a role of submission and lack of choice just super baffle me. Its one thing if you were born into it and stuck, but to openly advocate for it.

Like as a man I can't imagine advocating for ideologues that say I'm intrinsically less worthwhile and should have no political voice.

I'm not even sure what they're getting out of it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Why do poor people vote republican?

Not everything in life is about pure, unfettered, ayn randian self interest.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
When folks think about "how the world ought to be" isn't it more noble to think of a society in which whoever is thinking about it isn't the top dog?

Sacrificing the individual for the whole is a value we've lost as a civilization.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its insane to you millennials to not think in terms of pure ayn randian "how do i maximize what I get and minimize everyone else". ITs a real shame that objectivism has infected the body politic to such an extent.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
eh. selflessness isnt really considered a virtue now, more an exploitable liability :smithfrog: not too many people are going to survive being harvested for whatever they can be taken for and still maintain a charitable attitude

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Baloogan posted:

Its insane to you millennials to not think in terms of pure ayn randian "how do i maximize what I get and minimize everyone else". ITs a real shame that objectivism has infected the body politic to such an extent.

"How can anyone support anything that is against their self-interest?"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the idea that poor people are often resentful of poorer people getting more benefits seems to spring to mind.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

Women who openly advocate a role of submission and lack of choice just super baffle me. Its one thing if you were born into it and stuck, but to openly advocate for it.

Like as a man I can't imagine advocating for ideologues that say I'm intrinsically less worthwhile and should have no political voice.

I'm not even sure what they're getting out of it.

You shouldn't think of it as a lack of choice, but the choice to be liberated from responsibility.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The people in the US that are 'voting against their interests' are doing it out of spite, not adherence to a community ideal, or any kind of high-minded selflessness. And spite is something ayn rand would be super okay with.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Why are you voting for someone who believes the same things as you? Don't you know that the other guy has drastically different beliefs and wants a slightly higher minimum wage? Stupid spite voter.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Baloogan posted:

Why do poor people vote republican?

Not everything in life is about pure, unfettered, ayn randian self interest.

I wouldn't call not wanting to be a second class citizen ayn randian self interest, just common sense. I'll happily vote for things that uplift other people who are not me, but not at my expense. That seems logical and coherent to me, and not particularly objectivist.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I dont mind paying for it, I started off with nothing and if i hadnt have gotten some help along the way i might have never gotten as far as i have, hell you want me to pay 40% adjusted rate to make sure that everyone has healthcare and education? Gotta start somewhere, just because I PERSONALLY didn't get it im not going to be some FYGM motherfucker.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/849499190426259457

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

rudatron posted:

The people in the US that are 'voting against their interests' are doing it out of spite, not adherence to a community ideal, or any kind of high-minded selflessness. And spite is something ayn rand would be super okay with.

*blows bubbles out of pipe*

Imho it's not spite so much as the unspoken promise between capital and the white working class that loving over minorities will benefit them financially and socially. Pretty much from the get go when America was first founded as disparate colonies the promise was that poorer whites would be the shock troops of capital, which would share the spoils of plunder from, at first, native Americans with them. This promise was overt and moved then on to other exploited groups (African-American slaves etc). Later on, in light of the civil rights struggle the promise turned implicit, unspoken, but it was still understood that even the lowliest whites would benefit from minorities being hosed over (guaranteed spots in the labor force, social status etc)

This promise has all but vanished (ie loving over minorities only marginally benefits the white working class now compared to earlier) as the dynamics have shifted but due to the unspoken nature of it as well as the society-wide social conditioning it has had working class whites still cling to the idea that if only they poo poo on minorities harder, things will go back to how they were

Basically they still see capital as their lover, but whereas they used to poo poo on minorities together, they're now being, uh, cucked by minorities. Hence why they differentiate between "good" and "bad" companies, where good ones hint at upholding the old dynamic, whereas bad ones have abandoned even the pretense

So, in their minds it doesn't work out as their fate being shared with minorities, but diametrically opposed. Because it used to be like that (and still is to some extent i.e. peep the dynamics of the war on drugs) so as far as they are concerned they're voting for that dynamic to come back (it won't)

But that's just imho *blows more bubbles*

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lol

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

And one baconator and a bepis

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/nasboat/status/849642439417765889

It's a good thing her very real (and possibly black) friend went and cleared things up for us

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

"pt. 2/19" is what slays me. I am dead, brutally murdered, at the feet of "pt. 2/19".

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

HorseRenoir posted:

https://twitter.com/nasboat/status/849642439417765889

It's a good thing her very real (and possibly black) friend went and cleared things up for us

"Someone else" telling people on social media what's happening with the user is becoming one of my favorite things.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Part two out of nineteen.

e;fb

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

When you wanna talk about not getting your dick sucked and it turns into a Minecraft let's play

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Brown Menace posted:

When you wanna talk about not getting your dick sucked and it turns into a Minecraft let's play

:golfclap:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

mysterious frankie posted:

"pt. 2/19" is what slays me. I am dead, brutally murdered, at the feet of "pt. 2/19".

It pairs beautifully with "24:12"

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Party Boat posted:

It pairs beautifully with "24:12"

I'm just doing the math here on my windows calculator app and, let's see... 19 times 24 and... hmm, it says here the answer is "why is humanity using us to drive itself insane?" and, yup, my computer has now deliberately overheated itself to escape this hellish reality.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Despite having been written forty years ago Christopher Lasch's "The Culture of Narcissism" has a lot to say about the contemporary alt-right. I think this passage is particularly relevant to the discussion of why a woman might yearn for a return to traditional patriarchal values or why the NEET generation in particular is attracted to the imagery of totalitarian ideologies:

Christopher Lasch, The Culture of Narcissism: American Life in An Age of Diminishing Expectations posted:

Imprisoned in his pseudo-awareness of himself, the new Narcissus would gladly take refuge in an idée fixe, a neurotic compulsion, a "magnificent obsession"--anything to get his mind off his own mind. Even unreflecting acquiescence in the daily grind, as the possibility of achieving it recedes into the historical distance, comes to seem like an almost enviable state of mind. It is a tribute to the peculiar horror of contemporary life that it makes the worst features of earlier times--the stupefaction of the masses, the obsessed and driven lives of the bourgeoisie--seem attractive by comparison. The nineteenth-century capitalist, compulsively industrious in the attempt to deliver himself from temptation, suffered torments inflicted by inner demons. Contemporary man, tortured on the other hand by self-consciousness, turns to new cults and therapies not to free himself from obsessions but to find meaning and purpose in life, to find something to live for, precisely to embrace an obsession, if only the passion maitresse of therapy itself. He would willingly exchange his self-consciousness for oblivion and his freedom to create new roles for some form of external dictation, the more arbitrary the better. The hero of a recent novel renounces free choice and lives according to the dictation of dice: "I established in my mind at that moment and for all time, the never questioned principle that what the dice dictates, I will perform." Men used to rail against the irony of fate; now they prefer it to the irony of unceasing self-consciousness. Whereas earlier ages sought to substitute reason for arbitrary dictation both from without and within, the twentieth century finds reason, in the debased contemporary form of ironic self-consciousness, a harsh master; it seeks to revive earlier forms of enslavement. The prison life of the past looks in our own time like liberation itself.

For many people the idea of demolishing every form of hierarchy or replacing all arbitrarily assigned roles with personal decisions and choices - right down to choosing your own gender or being expected to be a self-made person in an extremely precarious economy - is intensely frightening. Assuming that everyone who joins the alt-right secretly expects to be part of the new master-class in society is mistaken. I think many people just want a stable set of values to orient themselves around and to lose themselves within, because the expectations of contemporary individualism weigh heavily on the growing number of losers in society.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

lol, wut? Try around, MAYBE, 3%.

Unless you're counting people who fall onto the LGBTIA spectrum in which case everyone.

Hoisted by my own petard. I couldn't remember the exact % so I pulled one I thought was reasonable out of a hat, probably influenced upwards by the number of gay people that I personally know.

sneakyfrog posted:

the idea that poor people are often resentful of poorer people getting more benefits seems to spring to mind.

Pride is the last coin in an otherwise empty purse.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I gotta be honest, I kinda get it. If my wife came up to me and was like "hey, wear a butler uniform and cook and clean- and, you know, basically act like my upscale prewar mitteleuropa valet- and I will make reality stop working the way it actually works" it's like a day to day coin flip if I would just be like "yeah, ok, I choose to believe this." Sometimes I'm like reading about cults and I go "Hm, could I believe this fool? Sucking a fake Jesus off in his compound is deffo preferable to knowing what is actually happening right now." Hell, the other week, when I was leaving the DSA meeting, I almost grabbed the Trot selling newspapers out front and screamed "TAKE ME WITH YOU!" Delusional, self injuring behavior makes a lot of sense in 2017.

EDIT: this was in reference to alt right ladies lining up to go back in time to the fake 50s.

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 18:07 on Apr 5, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Not a Step posted:

Pride is the last coin in an otherwise empty purse.

if all you got in your purse is pride, then motherfuckers should be talking a whole lot less.

:smithfrog: my mom is like that and its absolutely infuriating.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

rudatron posted:

Just because you're that way doesn't mean everyone else is. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I think a significant part that gets missed is how the alt-right neatly gives failures like that anti-feminist Youtuber an external reason why they're not as personally or professionally successful as they think they should be. I think that's why it has such a disturbing parallel with Nazism, since a big part of the draw of Nazism was that it offered an explanation for how the German people were the best in the world, but could simultaneously lose WWI and have to submit to the humiliating terms of the Treaty of Versailles.

It's not surprising that these people turn away from left-leaning politics, which are broadly underpinned by a belief in egalitarian opportunity, towards politics that explain how, with a playing field actually stacked in their favor, they are still unsuccessful.

It really alleviates the cognitive dissonance that must form when they're less successful than their parents, but grew up being told just how smart and special they are, and instead of looking inwards, doing some real soul searching, and then committing to change, they latch on to the first ideology that explains why it's not their fault.