Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

john oliver is a youtube personality with an hbo show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Donal Trump is so bad. He's like [brand name product] without [adjective]." :britain:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol I thought my post was bad, but I just ran into this

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Frijolero posted:

"Donal Trump is so bad. He's like [brand name product] without [adjective]." :britain:

He ripped on beets at Salad Bars one time.

I'm a weird-o, but beets on salads are awesome.

Frijolero posted:

Lol I thought my post was bad, but I just ran into this

Jimmy Dore went after him for ripping on Jill Stein a while back.

Stein was horrible, but Dore was on point with how lovely he was at his criticisms of her, Johnson compared to HRC, Trump.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

yeah his equivocating about clinton's faults was literally a one sentence line about she's everything that SOME people hate about politics

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

did oliver ever say anything about sanders on his show besides throwaway jokes

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
More like Jimmy bore tbh

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think her message was "grean bean"

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
America's already great (for me and my friends, suckas!)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

logikv9 posted:

More like Jimmy bore tbh

pun game is strong.

legitimatey lol'd at this. :).. Thanks.

Bro Dad posted:

yeah his equivocating about clinton's faults was literally a one sentence line about she's everything that SOME people hate about politics

Dore had on an Robert Scheer to talk about why attacking her for using "Quantitative easing" to help with Student Loan debt was stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaG4qz2T3QI

Oliver really was horrible post-Trump.

comedyblissoption posted:

did oliver ever say anything about sanders on his show besides throwaway jokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76yXCJsd5WU

He also egged on Donald Trump to run in 2016, thinking that his campaign would be a fun trainwreck to watch.

Whoops. :downs:.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Fister posted:

I think we all know America is great because America is good.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76yXCJsd5WU

He also egged on Donald Trump to run in 2016, thinking that his campaign would be a fun trainwreck to watch.

Whoops. :downs:.

he also said like bernie voted for a good thing in a "presidential candidates that voted for a good thing" in passing but thats all i remember besides the bernie sanders asking reporters questions thing

i swear hes mentioned ted cruz 4 times as much

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Oliver's only significant mention of Bernie during the campaign was during the final stretch of the primaries when he pointed out the chances of Sanders getting the nomination were quite slim. He tried to create the impression that he really wanted to avoid talking about the presidential race for most of the invisible primary, and went to certain lengths to portray his infamous Trump bit as a moment when he "just had to" comment on why he was bad.

I'm kind of disappointed there's a lot of dislike for Oliver coming from the left in this thread. I liked him long before LWT. And Oliver largely avoided the off-putting "anti-left signaling" vibe I got from many liberal comedians.

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Apr 5, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the hate is half "he's a boring middle-grounder" and half "he's incredibly unfunny."

Trevor Noah is doubly garbage because he actually punches left while being an incredible bore.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
As they are with most things, gay dudes are right about John Oliver. https://youtu.be/Dr5RFWj5GD0

Vlad Peeps
Aug 16, 2016

FuzzySkinner posted:

Thread question.

Why do I notice Hillary supporters unwilling to admit that maybe they had a bad candidate?

Let me clarify that. I don't mean people that voted for her. I mean the sort of people that go and blame "bernie", "racism", etc rather than admitting that Hillary's campaign was a very flawed one.
"Why are her supporters, defined here as people unwilling to admit she was flawed, unwilling to admit she was flawed?"

:iiam:

I volunteered time and defended her online (and occasionally still do because I'm at least 80% sure she isn't running a child sex slavery ring) but yeah she was a cheap robot. Not even one of those good robots that can fake facial expressions or calculate that Pennsylvania was a swing state.

PS:
Her campaign message was to show America a Self Destruct button and say "You don't have the balls."

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Have we considered that death squads and stop and frisk are cool and good because america is cool and good?

(Yes I'm still baffled by the people she used as surrogates 6 months later)

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Mister Fister posted:

Easily one of the most baffling and tone deaf campaign slogans in history. It takes a special type of arrogance when the guys running to the left AND right of you can't stop talking about how the American worker is getting screwed, and your response is "excuse me, but AMERICA is doing pretty well thank you very much." :smug: Granted, Hillary lacked the firmware to feign empathy with those former factory workers concerned about how to support their family. But you'd think someone on the campaign staff would have stopped to wonder why Trump, who ran his campaign like he was trying to lose, had such a fervent base of support among lower income Americans. Could it be that Trump took a page from Democratic politicians of the past and actually vocalized their concerns about economic insecurity?

Nah, the people in Rust Belt states who supported Obama in 2008/2012 probably just got super racist in 2016.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

this is the sort of intricate perspective i come to the american meritocracy for. yeah. HE*L yeah

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

GamingHyena posted:

Easily one of the most baffling and tone deaf campaign slogans in history. It takes a special type of arrogance when the guys running to the left AND right of you can't stop talking about how the American worker is getting screwed, and your response is "excuse me, but AMERICA is doing pretty well thank you very much." :smug: Granted, Hillary lacked the firmware to feign empathy with those former factory workers concerned about how to support their family. But you'd think someone on the campaign staff would have stopped to wonder why Trump, who ran his campaign like he was trying to lose, had such a fervent base of support among lower income Americans. Could it be that Trump took a page from Democratic politicians of the past and actually vocalized their concerns about economic insecurity?

Nah, the people in Rust Belt states who supported Obama in 2008/2012 probably just got super racist in 2016.

It's not a slogan, it's a comeback a random democrat pundit would make on Real Time when a republican counterpart said Trumps slogan. The republican would be silenced by the audience freaking out because the applause sign told them to. Hillarys campaigns big mistake was thinking the voting booths have the same kind of electric signs in them & herd stress that tell the hoi polloi how to react. You communicate with people exclusively in one sided, controlled and shaped venues your whole career as a public servant and, whoa, what, you end up not knowing what they're really like?!?!?!

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
where's the picture of the guy with a shitload of hillary stuff he's wearing and the shirt that says SPOILER ALERT: HILLARY WINS because i really want that engraved in stone under "Hubris"

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GamingHyena posted:

It was also incredibly tone deaf after a year and a half of police murdering innocent minorities.

Like I understand that the economy is doing better than before. And we're relatively safe from terrorist attacks. We're overall a prosperous nation. But how do you square that "America is great" to underemployed middle America, students in deep debt, and PoC getting murdered by police?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

That whole thing was basically proof her staff were just a bunch of sycophants who did nothing to correct any of her errors. Literally nobody on earth could have thought that was a good thing to say once, let alone repeatedly at every debate and public appearance until the election

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Frijolero posted:

It was also incredibly tone deaf after a year and a half of police murdering innocent minorities.

Like I understand that the economy is doing better than before. And we're relatively safe from terrorist attacks. We're overall a prosperous nation. But how do you square that "America is great" to underemployed middle America, students in deep debt, and PoC getting murdered by police?

By being so detached and insulated from that America by virtue of wealth that it never even occurs to you that that America exists (unless you are specifically reminded)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Frijolero posted:

In three emoji or less.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its kind of sad that after her historic loss Hillary took to wandering the woods in isolation, or only talking to her fellow incredibly wealthy influence peddler friends. And then her big return to public life was to start giving speeches about the need for more women CEOs to improve corporate profit margins. Its basically a perfect encapsulation of who she is as a person and the reasons she ultimately lost.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

GamingHyena posted:

ACtually PUtin PaID THOSE PEOPLE!!!

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Modest Mao posted:

ACtually PUtin PaID THOSE PEOPLE!!!

At least someone is getting these people jobs.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i heard ICE is hiring

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've recently learned that Hillary Clinton's campaign message was actually that Wrestling is Un-American. Because Russia?

quote:

A few years ago Clinton was Testifying before the U.S. Foreign Policy Priorities Committee and blamed professional wrestling, in part, for damaging the perception of America abroad. The speech which aired on C-SPAN had Clinton saying Russia were exporting "instructive" information through English news services while America was exporting inferior programming.

"I remember having an Afghan general tell me that the only thing he thought about Americans is that all the men wrestled and the women walked around in bikinis because the only TV he ever saw was Baywatch and World Wide Wrestling," she lectured with a stern face to the sitting members of the U.S. Foreign Policy Priorities Committee.

Clinton further blamed wrestling for being at "counter purposes to what we truly are as Americans," leading to "Al Jazeera winning."

but then she did this on WWE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHrOo59LCas

So I'm getting mixed messages here too!

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaPkllQziio

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Apr 5, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

"I remember having an Afghan general tell me that the only thing he thought about Americans is that all the men wrestled and the women walked around in bikinis because the only TV he ever saw was Baywatch and World Wide Wrestling," she lectured with a stern face to the sitting members of the U.S. Foreign Policy Priorities Committee.

Accurate and awesome.

:911:. Also Americans have a global reputation as Cowboys. IIRC, even Native Americans identify with the lead roles in Cowboy flicks.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

How is Veep ever supposed to top this? Jesus Christ

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm kind of disappointed there's a lot of dislike for Oliver coming from the left in this thread. I liked him long before LWT. And Oliver largely avoided the off-putting "anti-left signaling" vibe I got from many liberal comedians.

lol gently caress off

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This sort of dumb bullshit about how your politics are problematic if you don't like the correct sort of entertainment is why [shuffles through notecards] bernie would have won.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

pro wrestling is actually good except the politics of the owners are just as bad as every other sports owners'

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

all those years, mr the rock, you were dropping the elbows not for the people, but on the people

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the athletes in wrestling and other combat sports are ununionized and exploited like crazy and it's bullshit

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

The Brown Menace posted:

all those years, mr the rock, you were dropping the elbows not for the people, but on the people

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I'm picturing a room full of communists trying to struggle session The Rock and getting thrown around like bags of sorghum. If you took a picture of it it would look like that statue of the angry dude covered in babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Hillary ran a campaign that actually would have worked out really well if this was 1996

• Locked thread