Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Thoguh posted:

The GOP just returned internet privacy to what is was under Obama, didn't they? He made some token gesture on his way out they door and they stopped it from taking effect?

Obama's restrictions were set to take effect at the end of the year so they'll just never take effect IIRC.

Basically all this means is that your ISP can sell the same information to private companies that they have been selling to the intelligence agencies for years and the FCC can't restrict this without an act of Congress. Personally, I'm more bothered that every man, woman, child, and most dogs have a file on them just in case they need a reason to be arrested in the future than I am about private companies having more data points to try and sell me orthopedic foot inserts and dildos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Iron Twinkie posted:

Obama's restrictions were set to take effect at the end of the year so they'll just never take effect IIRC.

Basically all this means is that your ISP can sell the same information to private companies that they have been selling to the intelligence agencies for years and the FCC can't restrict this without an act of Congress. Personally, I'm more bothered that every man, woman, child, and most dogs have a file on them just in case they need a reason to be arrested in the future than I am about private companies having more data points to try and sell me orthopedic foot inserts and dildos.

I completely agree. I just am thrown off by people acting like this is a huge sea change in how things work and a hugely evil thing the republicans did. When it is just preventing a new rule from taking effect. It is a really bad thing and I totally agree with that. But it isn't new and isn't a Trump thing. If Obama had wanted to do something about it he could have almost a decade ago. The coverage of this has been hysterical and you have to really dive in to it to even figure out that all this does is preserve the status quo rather than being a huge rollback of existing protections.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Thoguh posted:

The GOP just returned internet privacy to what is was under Obama, didn't they? He made some token gesture on his way out they door and they stopped it from taking effect?

According to the EFF:

quote:

The rules—which codified and expanded on existing online privacy protections—were passed by the FCC in October of last year and set to go into effect later this year. They would have kept ISPs from selling customers’ data and using new invasive ways to track and deliver targeted ads to customers. Additionally, the rules would have required those companies to protect customers’ data against hackers.

Tens of thousands of people called on lawmakers to protect those rules, but Republicans in Congress repealed them by narrowly passing a Congressional Review Act resolution.

That measure not only repeals the rules, it also prevents the FCC from writing similar rules in the future, throwing into question how much the FCC can do to police ISPs looking to trade off their customers’ privacy for higher profits. Because of the current legal landscape, the FTC can’t police ISPs either, leaving customers without a federal agency that can clearly protect them in this space.

So yeah they make it seem like it was a bit more than just blocking new rules from going into place.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

of course a former hillaryman is a foreign loon, and thinks all kurds are fascists. This poster is also a Liberal Democrat in the UK lol

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what in the gently caress is garcetti trying to say

that statement is strangely worded, but Garcettis MO seems to revolve around quietly hampering the Trump administrations ability to gently caress with people in LA by doing things like loosening restrictions against street vendors, to keep them from getting pinched off the street; widening the availability of immigration law resources to low income individuals, passing safe campus laws, etc. he seems to be of the opinion that if you get in Trumps face too overt, he'll just gently caress with you for fun.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
also, CA-34 status: its going to be Robert Ahn vs Jimmy Gomez in the run-off. the Berniecrats were hampered by low turn-out in general, and there being like five of them plus a Green to split the vote. my girl Carrillo finished 5th, which is sad because she had the best praxis :discourse:

Ahn is probably the closest thing to a republican that can get elected in this district, and is buoyed by strong grass-roots outreach in the Korean community.

Gomez keeps getting called the Establishment Guy, but if hes Establishment then so is Sanders so idk what standard is here besides him getting an endorsement from the CA Dem party and having worked in government before

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gomez is fine, and all the endorsements means at least he's not a dino.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If it's a choice between a left-Clintonite and a Blue Dog I know which is the right choice

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

According to the EFF:

So yeah they make it seem like it was a bit more than just blocking new rules from going into place.

No, that bit you quoted sounds exactly like "blocking new rules from going into place".

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

loquacius posted:

If it's a choice between a left-Clintonite and a Blue Dog I know which is the right choice

dunno if id call him a Clintonite. hes running on $15/hr minimum wage, debt-free higher education, and single-payer, so i feel like in any other state hed be the Sandersista candidate

e. dang hes not only only in favor of LGBTQ rights, he's in favor LGBTQIA rights. at that point just go full QUILTBAG, Jimmy, it scans better

paranoid randroid has issued a correction as of 16:52 on Apr 5, 2017

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/849522264601239552

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

dunno if id call him a Clintonite. hes running on $15/hr minimum wage, debt-free higher education, and single-payer, so i feel like in any other state hed be the Sandersista candidate

e. dang hes not only only in favor of LGBTQ rights, he's in favor LGBTQIA rights. at that point just go full QUILTBAG, Jimmy, it scans better

yeah no objections here, ideally we'd be flipping off the establishment AND getting someone into Congress with all these sweet policy stances but the policy is the actual important part

The Hill calls Chelsea Clinton every morning at 8:30 AM to ask this question over and over

This time they even said pretty please with a cherry on top and she still said no :(

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

im vomiting

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the hill's chelsea clinton beat is impressively thorough

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Main Paineframe posted:

No, that bit you quoted sounds exactly like "blocking new rules from going into place".

...and overturning existing ones that were previously enforced by the fcc without the pending Obama regulations but not codified?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
chelsea is going to get the warren experience where everything she does is viewed through the lens of "will she run or won't she"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

chelsea is going to get the warren experience where everything she does is viewed through the lens of "will she run or won't she"

except for the literal rest of her life

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
and a happy suck zone to you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://twitter.com/rmc031/status/849657569517993985

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol thanks Obama for blighting Chicago with this piece of poo poo

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well, she answers the question with "right now" and yesterday told at an interview said "You need to occasionally ask yourself if you're going to run" so it's entirely an intentional creation on her own part.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the number one issue facing Chicago and America as a whole: loving lazy kids

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
She just needs to sit down with a refreshing Pepsi and think it over once a month or so.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chicago sounds like a suck zone.

nopants
May 29, 2004
In the wake of the disastrous 2016 election, democratic operatives ask, " how are we gonna protect our phony baloney jobs?"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

the hill's chelsea clinton beat is impressively thorough

They must be getting a whole lotta traffic from their Chelsea trolling.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Chel-

*crowd starts booing and groaning*

-yabinsk is a city in Russia

*sighs of relief, clapping*

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
buried in a larger good piece, this tidbit:

quote:

Here’s the real, non-ideological difference between Republicans and Democrats:

Democrats by and large are convinced that no one actually supports their agenda, and they devote a not insignificant amount of time and political capital to explaining to their own constituents why they cannot pursue goals that a majority of them support. (“I supported single payer since before you were born,” says Nancy Pelosi, who has the legislative and leadership record of someone who may support single payer but clearly doesn’t actually expect it to happen in our lifetimes.)

Conservatives, especially those who came up during the Obama era, have, more or less, the opposite problem: They’ve convinced themselves that their agenda is hugely popular and that everyone supports them.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

more like suckocrats

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hillary is convincing Chelsea to run for President only because she knows her daughter will make her campaign look good by comparison.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

...and overturning existing ones that were previously enforced by the fcc without the pending Obama regulations but not codified?

Nah, it's just written in a misleading way to make it sound worse than it is

That bit isn't entirely unreasonable, considering that the first big push for a public option was back in the Truman years

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

loquacius posted:

"love rich people" sums is up p well I think

:eyepop: :what: :yikes:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:agreed::yeah::same:

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the one blurb i heard that makes sense is that democrats are publicly pessimistic but privately optimistic: things are bad, the USA is a criminal empire, and greedy dudes ruin everything, but we can do better. Republicans are publicly optimistic but privately pessimistic: America is the shining city on a hill and full of smiling happy people in their adverts and messaging, but they think people are really a bunch of xenophobic idiots exist to be fleeced by the real smart folk, and the world is fundamentally flawed forever.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

too woke! too woke!

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Actually, I think you'll find that republicans are slytherin and democrats are hufflepuff

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Main Paineframe posted:

Nah, it's just written in a misleading way to make it sound worse than it is

Aw. More fake news :(

EFF! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the one blurb i heard that makes sense is that democrats are publicly pessimistic but privately optimistic: things are bad, the USA is a criminal empire, and greedy dudes ruin everything, but we can do better. Republicans are publicly optimistic but privately pessimistic: America is the shining city on a hill and full of smiling happy people in their adverts and messaging, but they think people are really a bunch of xenophobic idiots exist to be fleeced by the real smart folk, and the world is fundamentally flawed forever.

this doesn't make sense

• Locked thread