Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The problem is that if you want to tie spellpower into damage, then xd(sp/y) is a really good way to do it, since spellpower goes up to 200 and monster hp usually doesn't.
(SP/y)d(x) also works.

You just have to keep it as simple as possible. Keep x and y as integers and don't nest multiple functions.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
If I want to run a TrMo^Chei, should I be upping Dex to go with the auto strength gains for my claws, or upping INT to get some spells later on due to Cheistats?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

If I want to run a TrMo^Chei, should I be upping Dex to go with the auto strength gains for my claws, or upping INT to get some spells later on due to Cheistats?

I think int is the answer here, killing things quickly in melee is never much of a problem for trolls, but because of their poor spell apts, each point of int makes casting come online quicker which gives you a better chance of surviving the midgame slump. Never done one myself though, so please report back with your findings!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Speleothing posted:

The problem is that if you want to tie spellpower into damage, then xd(sp/y) is a really good way to do it, since spellpower goes up to 200 and monster hp usually doesn't.
(SP/y)d(x) also works.

Right now most spell damage is xd(z+sp/y), I'd be happy if all spells simply conformed to this. It allows reduction in variance by spell level as well as variances between schools (air magic tends to be much more variant than other schools and earth less variant).

You could look at getting rid of z once you do this, but since it's in practically every spell I'd want to know what the developer's desired effect was before I removed it.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Chakan posted:

I think int is the answer here, killing things quickly in melee is never much of a problem for trolls, but because of their poor spell apts, each point of int makes casting come online quicker which gives you a better chance of surviving the midgame slump. Never done one myself though, so please report back with your findings!

In general with Anything^Chei you want INT, because you don't have a % chance to swing your sword based on your STR or DEX.

This is becoming less certain in recent releases due to massive reductions in the number of support or utility spells that are worth goddamn anything. However, it will always remain true with Troll^Chei where your main goal is getting Statue Form online.

Therefore, all power to INT to hasten the coming of that glorious day! At least until statform is removed!

If you don't find statform, or weren't planning on using it, or it's been removed, then you are probably going to die. So take whatever you want.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Araganzar posted:

you are probably going to die.

I mean this is the rule no matter what combo I try so might as well ride the INT train.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Fhqwhgads posted:

I mean this is the rule no matter what combo I try so might as well ride the INT train.

I am watching and trying to tell you how to subscribe to beem and it's so cute that you have no idea I am there yelling at you...

Anyway, everyone should use Beem - here is the command guide: https://github.com/gammafunk/beem/blob/master/docs/commands.md

To start using it, go onto any server and look for the people with 1 spectator. That spectator is probably beem. Go into their channel and type "!subscribe beem" into the chat. You should get a message from beem that it will now spectate your chat.

You can also use this gigantic list of user-defined functions that I found google searching on "locateallall". Many are only useful for irc/chat but who knows, someone might come spectate you and use them! Some of them also give info on your current game so you don't have to answer questions.

Here are some examples of what you can do with beem:
code:

1 spectators (Esc: back to game)
araganzar, beem

WHAT ARE MINO DO?
araganzar: !apt mi
beem: Mi: Fighting: 2, Short: 1, Long: 2!, Axes: 2, Maces: 2!, Polearms: 2, Staves: 2!, Slings: 1, Bows: 1, 
Xbows: 1, Throw: 0, Armour: 2!, Dodge: 1, Stealth: -1, Shields: 2!, UC: 1!, Splcast: -4, Conj: -3*, Hexes: -4*, 
Charms: -4*, Summ: -3*, Nec: -3*, Tloc: -3*, Tmut: -2, Fire: -3*, Ice: -3*, Air: -3, Earth: -2, Poison: -3*, 
Inv: 0, Evo: -1, Exp: -1, HP: 1, MP: -1*

WHAT ABOUT FO
araganzar: !apt fo
beem: Fo: Fighting: 1, Short: 0, Long: 0, Axes: 0, Maces: 0, Polearms: 0, Staves: 0, Slings: 1, Bows: -2, 
Xbows: 0, Throw: 0, Armour: 1, Dodge: -1, Stealth: 3, Shields: 2!, UC: 0, Splcast: 0, Conj: -1, Hexes: 2, 
Charms: 0, Summ: 0, Nec: 0, Tloc: -1, Tmut: 1, Fire: 0, Ice: 0, Air: -2, Earth: 2, Poison: 3!, Inv: 2, 
Evo: 1, Exp: 1!, HP: 0, MP: 0

WHAT AM TRJ?
araganzar: ?trj
araganzar: ??trj
beem: the royal jelly[1/7]: Boss of the Slime Pits. Damage causes the creation of high-level Js such as 
acid blobs and azure jellies, which will never be on the other side of a wall and give no experience. 
When killed, the level allows teleport control, and the loot chamber walls become transparent and diggable.
araganzar: ??trj[5
beem: the royal jelly[5/7]: In 0.16+, successfully polymorphing the royal jelly will cause it to 
spawn all the jellies at once as if you had one-shotted the rest of its HP.
araganzar: %??trj
beem: unknown monster: "trj"
araganzar: %??the_royal_jelly
beem: Royal Jelly (J) | Spd: 14 | HD: 21 | HP: 196-273 | AC/EV: 8/4 | Dam: 50(acid:7d3), 30(acid:7d3) 
| eats doors, see invisible, unbreathing | Res: magic(180), poison, acid+++, blind, drown | Vul: silver 
| XP: 14307 | Sz: Large | Int: brainless.

I GOT A LONGSWORD AND A SHORTSWORD WHAT ARE THESE
araganzar: ??longsword
beem: long sword[1/2]: (long blades; +1 acc / 10 dam / 1.4 base delay / 0.7 min delay). A sword with 
a long, slashing blade.
araganzar: ??shrtsword
beem: shrtsword ~ short sword[1/1]: Short blades; +4 acc / 6 dam / 1.1 base delay / 0.5 min delay. 
Doesn't chop hydra heads in 0.16.

WHO IS THIS CLOUDY GOD
araganzar: ??hep
beem: hepliaklqana[1/4]: God of ancestral memory. Grants a powerful, customizable permanent ancestor, 
which will be automatically revived if slain (after a few dozen turns). Likes exploration. 
0*: ally & recall, 2*: {Remember Life}, 3*: {Transference}, 4*: {Idealise}, 5*: Transference-drain
araganzar: ??ancestor
beem: ancestor[1/6]: A permanent companion granted by {Hepliaklqana}. Scales with the player's XL. 
Can be specialized into one of three types: Knight ([3]), Battlemage ([4]), or Hexer ([5]).
araganzar: ??ancestor[5
beem: ancestor[5/6]: Hexer: support companion. Starts with a dagger, Slow, and Confuse. 
XL 15: Slow -> Paralyse. XL 19: Replace Confuse with Mass Confusion and Haste. 
XL 24: dagger replaced by antimagic quickblade.

HIM ARAGANZAR
araganzar: !lg 
beem: 3173. araganzar the Executioner (L27 FoCK of Xom), escaped with the Orb and 3 runes 
on 2017-04-04 14:16:51, with 1777828 points after 69963 turns and 4:52:14.
araganzar: !lg x=int max=int
beem: 3173. [int=114] araganzar the Archmage (L27 OpWz of Cheibriados), escaped with the Orb 
and 15 runes on 2016-12-21 15:26:49, with 13384605 points after 124772 turns and 15:35:46.
araganzar: !greatrace ds araganzar
beem: araganzar is a greatdemonspawn!

WHAT THEY DO TO STATFORM
araganzar: !gitgrep statue form
beem: Brannock * 0.20-a0-949-g916514f: Catch a few Barachian remnants 
(22 hours ago, 9 files, 11+ 11-) [url]https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/916514fd7d7c[/url]
araganzar: !gitgrep statue form -2
beem: Could not find commit HEAD^{/form -2} (git returned 128)
araganzar: !gitgrep 2 statue form 
beem: amalloy * 0.19-a0-1850-g63fd1ff: Make sure vampires in statue form get rPois+++ 
(papilio) (6 months ago, 1 file, 2+ 4-) 
[url]https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/63fd1ff48935[/url]

HOW I DIE?
araganzar: !log . splat
beem: 104. araganzar, XL17 MiAK, T:32327: 
[url]http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/araganzar/morgue-araganzar-20170403-144231.txt[/url]

WHAT'S THE MOTTO?
araganzar: !motto Always Be Using Beem!
beem: ABUB! A-Always! B-Be! U-Using! B-Beem!! Always Be Using Beem!! ALWAYS BE USING BEEM!!
edit: Line feeds are good! Also, oops, you splatted to a hydra while I was typing it. That's what gets most trolls. Throwing is very good with Chei and if you don't have good distance on a hydra it's best to run, stairs, fear, blink, tport, etc. Whatever it takes.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 4, 2017

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Araganzar posted:

I am watching and trying to tell you how to subscribe to beem and it's so cute that you have no idea I am there yelling at you...

I play at work which means a lot of otabbing and not much paying attention :v: Also it's why I disappear for extended lengths.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

I play at work which means a lot of otabbing and not much paying attention :v: Also it's why I disappear for extended lengths.

The only way to play crawl.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I think I'm gonna start setting a couple hours each week on Sundays to play webtiles. Probably shortly after lunch eastern time, if others want to hang out.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

It would take me quite a while to write up comments to every idea, (thanks for the ideas and keep them coming!), so here's some I picked out:

Devastate - I love Devastator and I think this could be a cool effect. The blast definitely cannot do any extra damage to the target, and I'd probably make the explosions somewhere around fireball loud. I'm thinking it should probably only scale damage based on spellpower, though; leaving in a mix that lets the weapon affect the damage may imply that it works the same as Devastator (which includes the slaying bonus). It should also probably go off on every hit, unlike Devastator. I'd have to work on details more to figure it all out.

Deep Impact - I think this would be a great spell for mixing up melee on a hybrid-ish character. Draining all MP is a good downside for it, and spellpower could probably affect the conversion rate of the damage. It could probably use a lower spell level, but that's details to figure out. I originally saw this and wondered if it could replace Infusion directly, but it would probably be too hard to balance between early and late game damage amounts. I'm not sure if the Force Lance part should stay, will have to look it over.

Haste Other - I'm a bit iffy on this one, but it might work as "Give all allies in LoS Haste, gain Slow". Probably Charms/Summoning and a decently high level. Still, I'm not sure if giving Haste, even if just to allies, is really acceptable anymore. It's simple enough, though, so it might be worth coding up for a rejection anyways. Likewise...

Alacrity - This spell might be one you would always cast while an enemy is approaching (if you have no other action to take) to get a free melee hit at the start of every fight. It would also make it something that is cast repeatedly whenever doing an action in combat slower than 1.0, being a really expensive, slightly worse Haste with way more button pressing. Otherwise, there is little other use for it. However, the first part might be interesting in another format than a free action: cast and stay still (wait actions only) to charge up a powerful melee strike or flurry of strikes? That may still be too powerful/haste like, I'm not sure.

Better Beastly Appendage: Probably won't work due to wanting to disengage and re-roll the appendage until you get the right one for the situation (in your example, mana fangs in most cases). It might work as a Monstrous Form that grants them all at once, but then you have to compare it to other Form spells for balance/distinction.

Split Shot - It seems workable, but it's only really usable to soften a group of enemies up slightly/moderately. Most of the time you engage at range, it is because you want to focus down the dangerous targets at full power and limit the total amount of enemy actions; collateral damage is usually just a secondary benefit. I'm not really sure how useful this would actually be.

Royal Sheen - I might use this as an alternative to my reactive armor brainstorm. It would lose the poison school, though, since acid magic from poison is on the won't do list for the devs.

Pakellas's Prism - I might prefer this more as Evaporate 2.0; throw a wand as a grenade. It consumes the wand and explodes for damage based on spell power, and a secondary effect on the explosion based on wand type with a chance based on spell power. It could also increase the radius based on how charged the wand is. The issue is that it would encourage hoarding wands (if it has a limitation of requiring the wand to have charges to work, everyone leaves their wands at 1 charge and hoards). Also, the idea is out the window if wand stacking gets momentum and gets added.

Harm Spells - These won't happen because the Harm effect becomes a no-brainer if you can toggle it on/off without punishment (toggling includes waiting for it to wear off). You put it on for the things that can't touch you, leave it off for the things that can.

Alternative Haste Spells - Haste was removed as a spell because the devs don't want sources of infinite/near-infinite Haste available. The only way I could see spell Haste or a variant of it having a chance of being added back in would be if it was attached to a permanent resource loss a la Borgnor's.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Permanent haste owned though. Put it back in as a higher spell school.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

If you're dropping the spell level, then you should cap the amount of mp used. It's okay for a level 8 spell to do LCS damage in melee, but probably not a lvl5 .

Also, Haste Other is better as a single-target buff, with whatever downside seems most appropriate. Maybe Corona on both of you?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 4, 2017

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I like the flavour of Haste Other applying Slow to the caster, but I'd tweak it so you can only cast the spell while you're not slowed, so you have to wait for the initial slow to wear off to prevent chain-casting it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Speleothing posted:

If you're dropping the spell level, then you should cap the amount of mp used.

Also, Haste Other is better as a single-target buff, with whatever downside seems most appropriate. Maybe Corona on both of you?

I definitely wouldn't want to cap the MP used, because it just sounds like Super-Infusion at that point. It's definitely a cooler spell if it allows you to go overkill on something at the cost of only (realistically) doing it once per encounter. I mentioned dropping the spell level a bit along with it because most Level 8/9 spells (outside of maybe Controlled Blink + Extended XP) are going to only be picked up by characters with insane int or blaster mages. This is just speculation/brainstorming until I get something implemented for testing, however.

Also, could you explain why Haste Other would be better as a single target over boosting all allies? I don't use summons often other than good powers, but I would usually want them all hasted over an individual summon in the majority of cases.

E:

Can Of Worms posted:

I like the flavour of Haste Other applying Slow to the caster, but I'd tweak it so you can only cast the spell while you're not slowed, so you have to wait for the initial slow to wear off to prevent chain-casting it.

Yeah, this would be a good secondary limitation (it wouldn't matter unless all your summons die before the Slow wears off). I would probably want to rename it something that captures that aspect in the name, along the lines of "Donate Speed" but way better than that.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 4, 2017

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Make wand grenade power scale with the amount of charges remaining, problem solved. Unless wand stacking happens.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The thing is that of course you want to haste all your allies, but the Devs will never let you get away with 20 hasted Orcs or Yred gifts. Particularly as a single action. Capping it at one to three per cast might let you sneak it in.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Also, regarding spell levels: 6 single-school is where old Haste was. It was very overpowered, but my point is that a melee dude could reliably get it going in FDA or even Plate.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Speleothing posted:

The thing is that of course you want to haste all your allies, but the Devs will never let you get away with 20 hasted Orcs or Yred gifts. Particularly as a single action. Capping it at one to three per cast might let you sneak it in.

I forgot about Yred and Beogh existing :doh:

Yep, probably safer to make it single target, then.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

15 runes lol

Honestly I just wanted to post that CPA that I got, but I figured I'd wait til I ascended because if I did prematurely I'd splat. So I 15 rune'd and ascended, and now I can show off the most ridiculous goddamned floorgod drop ever:

R - +20 crystal plate armour of Goischirch {MR+ Dex+2 Slay+2}

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Devlan Mud posted:

15 runes lol

Honestly I just wanted to post that CPA that I got, but I figured I'd wait til I ascended because if I did prematurely I'd splat. So I 15 rune'd and ascended, and now I can show off the most ridiculous goddamned floorgod drop ever:

The +20 crystal plate armour of Gorsuch. Upon trying to escape with the orb, eight Pan Lords appear and surround the exit, talking incessantly in an attempt to keep you from ascending.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fhqwhgads posted:

The +20 crystal plate armour of Gorsuch. Upon trying to escape with the orb, eight Pan Lords appear and surround the exit, talking incessantly in an attempt to keep you from ascending.

Well that's what you get for stealing the Orb of Garland.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Devlan Mud posted:

15 runes lol

Wow I came in here to brag about +12 executioner's axe of Exhibitionism {distort, rPois rC+ Str+2 Stlth+}, but that is insane.

All of that and your best weapon was a +9 vorpal great mace?

edit: won that game! Used 12 EA scrolls to make +14 CPA - should have 68AC but I had swapped out my AC6 Dex4 ring for SInv. +12 distort exec axe with spec weapon and finesse will take the piss out of a room pretty quickly...
code:
1656167 araganzar the Executioner (level 27, 259/261 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Arcane Marksman on Apr 4, 2017.
             Was a High Priest of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Apr 5, 2017!
araganzar the Executioner (MiAM)                   Turns: 85137, Time: 04:58:33
Health: 259/261    AC: 62    Str: 33 (34) XL:     27
Magic:  10/31      EV: 34    Int: 18 (19) God:    Okawaru [*****.]
Gold:   4399       SH:  4    Dex: 24      Spells: 24/43 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   k - +12 executioner's axe of Exhibitionism {distort, rPois rC+ Str+2 Stlth+}
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg     + + .     Faith    .   F - +14 crystal plate armour
rPois    +         Spirit   +   m - +2 hat {Int+3}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   l - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   y - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
MR       +++..                  D - +2 pair of boots "Muesos" {rElec rF+ Str+2}
Stlth    ..........             s - amulet of Tayn {Spirit +Blink rElec Str+3}
Regen    1.6/turn               p - ring "Xaettitz" {rPois rF+ rN+ Dex+2 Slay+2}
MPRegen  0.3/turn               w - ring of Jenkuus {rN+ Int+5 SInv}

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 5, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
If people are discussing new spells I am once again pointing out that Poison needs some love. It is the only spell school without a proper high level spell and is still an experience trap that will serve little to no use in the end game. Hell, the lvl 6 (and highest level at that) spells are also conjuration which could better serve you.

Still think we need a player version of Virulence.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Charms/Translocations that turns you into a singularity.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Toxic. Glue.

Irresistible Slow + whatever other effects (net, antimagic, helpless, blind, poison damage, floor tile change). Make targeting and aoe feel right for whatever level you make it. Probably 3x3 or 5x5 smite-targeted.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What're the best few spells for heavy armor wearers to pick up in late game/15-rune runs? Blink, regen, r/dMsl, swiftness, maybe silence? For a FoFi without blink access I imagine I'm just looking for regen, rMsl, swiftness?

I probably shouldn't waste the xp and should just max axes, armor, fighting, shields, invoke/evoke, possibly crossbows, but it feels like I should layer something new on for the next 12 runes.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

World Famous W posted:

If people are discussing new spells I am once again pointing out that Poison needs some love. It is the only spell school without a proper high level spell and is still an experience trap that will serve little to no use in the end game. Hell, the lvl 6 (and highest level at that) spells are also conjuration which could better serve you.

Still think we need a player version of Virulence.

I did a 15 rune guy a little ways back and poison is perfectly useful even later. If it doesn't resist poison it's dead as gently caress to poison arrow and is going to get owned pretty hard if it's anything but immune. You don't need that much investment to be a master poison wizard and it will get you to 3 runes easy. If you are going for 15 then yes you will need more than just poison but you should have plenty of xp to throw around to diversify.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Nuclearmonkee/morgue-Nuclearmonkee-20170224-022856.txt

I only had 14 poison magic and had all of these in my book:

a - Poison Arrow Conj/Pois ########.. 1% 6 None
b - Olgreb's Toxic Radia Pois #######. 1% 4 None
c - Mephitic Cloud Conj/Pois/Air #######. 0% 3 None
i - Ignite Poison Fire/Tmut/Pois ######.. 1% 3 None

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Araganzar posted:

Wow I came in here to brag about +12 executioner's axe of Exhibitionism {distort, rPois rC+ Str+2 Stlth+}, but that is insane.

All of that and your best weapon was a +9 vorpal great mace?

I had a couple unexciting randart great maces, used a +9 holy wrath one for pan/hells, and had undeadhunter for crypt and tomb. I switched to the vorpal for Zot since it didn't really matter at that point, when you have 84 AC and good resists and a bunch of support spells online.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Of all my full clear casters I have not once had one I was glad to have poison beyond the lair branches. The most use I got from it later on was abusing igniting poison clouds and I dropped that quick for the far more efficient ice clouds. Is it to much to ask for a skill to not be completely worthless to take beyond 12 or 14? Or that that a spell school not be the only one that ends at lvl6 when all others a minimum of 8.

I just want the skill title dammit and there ain't no point whatsoever to max that skill out.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I mean you can get the title if you want but I like mostly because you DONT have to max it out to get the most use out of it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I find OTR pulls its weight through all of non-extended and poison arrow is a good single target conj but otherwise it could really use a boost that I'm positive it'll never get.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

You've got ranged poison at level 1, smite poison at level 2, convert poison into fire and AoE confusion at level 3, AoE poison at 4, bolt poison with an irresistible portion at 5, and single target irresistible damage+poison at 6 that rivals the school built for single target damage. There's also some other stuff that doesn't matter that much because Poison Magic is just attached as an exp sink.

Where else do you really take it? Most of the suggestions are about adding something that ignores rPois because there's nowhere else to really go. Check MR to remove rPois, use acid, use miasma, just make it irresistible, etc. aren't really making Poison Magic spells, it's just using Poison Magic in place of a better fitting spell school.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Poison Golem
Poison Armor
Poison Weapon
Poison Your Own Self

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Arcturas posted:

What're the best few spells for heavy armor wearers to pick up in late game/15-rune runs? Blink, regen, r/dMsl, swiftness, maybe silence? For a FoFi without blink access I imagine I'm just looking for regen, rMsl, swiftness?

I probably shouldn't waste the xp and should just max axes, armor, fighting, shields, invoke/evoke, possibly crossbows, but it feels like I should layer something new on for the next 12 runes.
Well, if you've already got a lot of skill in your most important skills, you don't really need to make them. In a 15 rune game you have a lot of XP, you could grab summoning spells or something.

Decrepus posted:

Poison Weapon
Poison Your Own Self
loving that these two used to exist, and also there used to be a poison summon and it was really busted and cheesy

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Floodkiller posted:

You've got ranged poison at level 1, smite poison at level 2, convert poison into fire and AoE confusion at level 3, AoE poison at 4, bolt poison with an irresistible portion at 5, and single target irresistible damage+poison at 6 that rivals the school built for single target damage. There's also some other stuff that doesn't matter that much because Poison Magic is just attached as an exp sink.

Where else do you really take it? Most of the suggestions are about adding something that ignores rPois because there's nowhere else to really go. Check MR to remove rPois, use acid, use miasma, just make it irresistible, etc. aren't really making Poison Magic spells, it's just using Poison Magic in place of a better fitting spell school.

Honestly, rPois needs to be removed from a lot of monsters. Like, why are so many demons rPois? Demons have corporeal bodies that can be cut, burned, etc, it only makes sense that they could be poisoned.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Well, if you've already got a lot of skill in your most important skills, you don't really need to make them. In a 15 rune game you have a lot of XP, you could grab summoning spells or something.
loving that these two used to exist, and also there used to be a poison summon and it was really busted and cheesy

20-ish on Fighting/Axes/Armor. Probably 15-17-ish on shields, and rocking a set of GDA (could be CPM but resists are fun) and a large shield. Likewise in the 10-15 range for crossbows, invocations, evocations, and stealth. 10-ish for dodging. I'll post a dump when I get home.

Thanks!

EDIT:
Here we go. http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Arcturas/Arcturas.txt
Looks like
21.4 Fighting
22.8 Axes
12.3 Crossbows
21.3 Armor
10.4 Dodging
10.1 Stealth
16.1 Shields
14.4 Invocations
15.1 Evocations

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 6, 2017

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I was skeptical about about how negative people were being about the Wu Jian nerf; in my most recent game with Wu Jian Council I would have rather had an amulet of rage than the god nineteen times out of twenty. I could give a serious breakdown of why, but it's been hashed over already in between the 'shitposts'. In my incorrect opinion, the loudest goons were overreacting, but no, the god has turned from Fun to bad gimmick in its current implementation.

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017

LordSloth posted:

I was skeptical about about how negative people were being about the Wu Jian nerf; in my most recent game with Wu Jian Council I would have rather had an amulet of rage than the god nineteen times out of twenty. I could give a serious breakdown of why, but it's been hashed over already in between the 'shitposts'. In my incorrect opinion, the loudest goons were overreacting, but no, the god has turned from Fun to bad gimmick in its current implementation.

I've been making one last push to salvage wall jump as globally usable and restore the status effect interactions, even in exchange for a bunch of nerfs, but I'm afraid it's not going to happen. I got close, but there are devs that at this point oppose it almost in principle.

Sorry, I tried! :/

SteelNeuron fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
SteelNeuron I don't think anyone blames you in this matter.

• Locked thread