Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Klaus Kinski posted:

It's very easy compared to the original, but the gameplay is way above par for a hack & slash.
I've played 4 and the stupid new one and the stupid new one was hilariously silly and i finished it while 4 had much better (and also decidedly less approachable for a casual like me) combat but also had insanely bad jumping puzzles and even more backtracking than Automata so i fell off pretty quickly. Like, all the DMC1-4 experts are 100% right that the new one doesn't deserve that name and 80% of the writing is insanely stupid and i agree, but aside from that it's a decently fun gateway drug entry to the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Klaus Kinski posted:

It was honestly a pretty decent game that got a lot of undeserved hate. It's very easy compared to the original, but the gameplay is way above par for a hack & slash.

The problem is that the difficulty mode that you unlock after beating the game should have just been the normal difficulty. The fights on the first playthrough have really boring enemy composition, which makes it super boring. Like most fights are just fighting a room full of 1 type of enemy for most of the game. I don't remember what it's called (Son of Sparda, maybe?) but the diffuculty you unlock puts you up against great combinations of enemies right away and it's really cool. Of course I was burnt out on the game by then, but if it'd been like that to begin with, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Route C

Slow zoom out to 6O scribbling this before the bunker explodes. Look at all the flowers!!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can someone just quickly sum up weapon leveling for me and weapons in general. Barely started playing. I mean should I bother upgrading weapons as I get them, only upgrade a select few, or..?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You will want to upgrade them all eventually, but you should prioritize what you like.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can someone just quickly sum up weapon leveling for me and weapons in general. Barely started playing. I mean should I bother upgrading weapons as I get them, only upgrade a select few, or..?

Upgrade the weapon you like to do more damage. That's about as deep as it gets, go nuts.

Just know that you'll have to fully upgrade every weapon if you want to fight the final secret boss of the game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Started over and I'm trying to finish all the stuff on Route A, there's a couple things that are giving me problems that I managed right away the first time.

I need to find a Desert Rose to send a picture to 6O. The first time I did this one, the rose was the first thing I got from the item spawn outside the oil well, but this time it's not showing up.

Also, Emil's shop seems to be stuck on the route by the desert, mostly seems to sell materials but I have had him sell chips a couple of times. I hear that you need to get him to move near the Resistance camp before he sells weapons, is there any confirmed way to do that?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just started route B!

... That's what I get for loving about in the options so long.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Upgrade weapons to read their stories and because what else are you going to spend your money/materials on

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Dabir posted:

Started over and I'm trying to finish all the stuff on Route A, there's a couple things that are giving me problems that I managed right away the first time.

I need to find a Desert Rose to send a picture to 6O. The first time I did this one, the rose was the first thing I got from the item spawn outside the oil well, but this time it's not showing up.

Also, Emil's shop seems to be stuck on the route by the desert, mostly seems to sell materials but I have had him sell chips a couple of times. I hear that you need to get him to move near the Resistance camp before he sells weapons, is there any confirmed way to do that?

Run laps between the mall and the city-end of the bridge. As soon as you reach the end of the bridge he respawns so check the map. If he's not right in front of the resistance camp repeat until he is

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished route A. Real loving good so far. Kind of curious like what % of the game's main story route A comprises though.

Also, does anyone have a high res screenshot of the final shot in Route A's ending of 2B standing on Machine-9S's hand? Want to make it my new desktop wallpaper.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nina posted:

Run laps between the mall and the city-end of the bridge. As soon as you reach the end of the bridge he respawns so check the map. If he's not right in front of the resistance camp repeat until he is

By the bridge, you mean the rope bridge to the mall?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/johntv/status/849420533775048704

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LordAba posted:

Just started route B!

... That's what I get for loving about in the options so long.

i loved that so much. it was a really cute touch

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Ughh I might just drop running on hard. There are so many one hit kills

Dabir posted:

By the bridge, you mean the rope bridge to the mall?

Yup

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

...A Metal Gear Rising sequel? (:D)

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Tarezax posted:

...A Metal Gear Rising sequel? (:D)

I don't think I actually want Taro to direct a Metal Gear game and there is literally zero way for that to ever happen but god imagine what a fuckin trip that would be

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yoko Taro's MGS has you sneaking out of an incredibly high military base to go buy a gravure DVD.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Alright, didn't seem like this was making a difference for the little I tried but I can keep giving it a go. I really think he's stuck though.

I had a look at the OP and ran a quick search and I don't think anyone's posted anything like this, so here goes: I've been experimenting and made a movelist for 2B including what acrobatic moves you can and can't do in specific orders. It's complete and accurate as far as I know so I figured I'd drop it here in case it helps anyone out. I know a lot of people don't find the pod grenade or the flying kick thing so you never know what you might have missed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yoko Taro's MGS has you Yoko Taro sneaking out of an incredibly high military base to go buy a gravure DVD.

Fixed

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

All the guards are scantily clad girls and it turns out the DVD wasn't a gravure DVD, it's a recording of your daughter killing herself, which prompts your character to end his life

The guards will have a fun pillowfight after the credits

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

In Ending C, you learn the pillows are made from kittens

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

All the guards are scantily clad girls and it turns out the DVD wasn't a gravure DVD, it's a recording of your daughter killing herself, which prompts your character to end his life

Very cute! It'll probably sell well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ending V: They Don't Take [V]isa Here, the one you get if you forget to visit the ATM for cash first. It's the most tragic ending imo because you never even accomplish your objective.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The biggest difference playing in Japanese so far is that 2B sounds a lot nicer I guess? She comes off as more "god I'm tired" rather than "I'm stoic and hard"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The contrast in stoic makes the moments when she's at ease more meaningful.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Tae posted:

The contrast in stoic makes the moments when she's at ease more meaningful.

Yet at the same time the softer characterization distinguishes her from A2 better

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Finished route C over the weekend, I'm now finishing up sidequests and upgrading weapons since I guess there's not much left. Ending D is pretty obvious, but is E another long chapter or am I close to the end in terms of hours spent?

And how come nobody is talking about the fact that the aliens are literally big walking dicks?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus there's a lot of sidequests.

Should I be doing all of them?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

if you want to. you get a lot of crafting materials as rewards which can cut down on some of the grind in upgrading weapons.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Finished route C over the weekend, I'm now finishing up sidequests and upgrading weapons since I guess there's not much left. Ending D is pretty obvious, but is E another long chapter or am I close to the end in terms of hours spent?

And how come nobody is talking about the fact that the aliens are literally big walking dicks?

The aliens are Generic Japanese Martians, they're the equivalent of little green men. Check out the Mars People from Metal Slug, same thing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Something I only noticed reading TDI's LP, is there a reason there was another E-type model accompanying that opening mission? I didn't think they sent those out for routine combat missions, and 2B was already there for 9S.

Completely different thing I noticed on reading it: both 2B and Commander go:
Glory... to mankind

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Dabir posted:

The aliens are Generic Japanese Martians, they're the equivalent of little green men. Check out the Mars People from Metal Slug, same thing.

Look again at the storybook about alien invasion. I understand those are probably clothes, but drat, that can't be a coincidence.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

Ending E isn't long at all, so you're close to done.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Just to be clear, you need to max all the weapons for one of the endings, but not the standard A-E sequence, correct?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Rangpur posted:

Just to be clear, you need to max all the weapons for one of the endings, but not the standard A-E sequence, correct?
Yep, A to E requires zero grind.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Rangpur posted:

Correct. Even then it doesn't unlock an ending but a sidequest that contains a possible ending

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
How do you upgrade weapons to level 4? I finished c & d last night.

Also was anyone else expecting more content between c - e? from some posts in this thread early on I think a couple people said things like 'i got route c and couldn't put it down so i just kept playing and marathond through routes d & e' and i think I made an assumption knowing what goons were like & how some session games for 12h straight that I was going to get an epilogue after c & d. I ended up a little let down that it's like 30 minutes tops to get d & e after c.

Anyway it was great, enjoyed it very much.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

cubicle gangster posted:

How do you upgrade weapons to level 4? I finished c & d last night.

Also was anyone else expecting more content between c - e? from some posts in this thread early on I think a couple people said things like 'i got route c and couldn't put it down so i just kept playing and marathond through routes d & e' and i think I made an assumption knowing what goons were like & how some session games for 12h straight that I was going to get an epilogue after c & d. I ended up a little let down that it's like 30 minutes tops to get d & e after c.

Anyway it was great, enjoyed it very much.

The vendor who upgrades to level 4 is hidden under the left side of the broken bridge before the throne room save point in the forest castle.

And I was kinda expecting the last ending to get a short-ish chapter to itself like Drakengard but I suppose I'm not too disappointed since the game had so much story content as it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Jesus there's a lot of sidequests.

Should I be doing all of them?

yes but make sure you have fast travel first

and if you run into enemies that way outlevel you can come back later, that's fine