Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bayonetta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Snak posted:

Tropical Freeze sounds like something you'd see on a taco bell menu.
Baja Blast might be the worst tasting soda I've ever had, and I've had Moxie.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bayonetta might be coming out for PC though!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So what, I ain't need to wait, I have the game right here. And the PC version won't have the Link cosplay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Those streaming rules sure make Atlus sound like All The Dicks

So I'm like 9 hours into Persona 5 and I feel like the whole map system/exploring Tokyo is a mess and not a fun one. How much "exploring" do I need to do? Can I just always teleport to whoever wants to spend time with me that day and ignore everything else?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

isn't there just fast travel? to the general areas people are in?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah you can fast travel to literally anywhere, that's why I'm asking if "exploring" is necessary. All the nested map menu screens make it seem way more confusing than P3 and P4, plus I'm not sure I feel like wasting time checking what every person has to say every day.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's overwhelming at first but there's not that many places. I also spent like a half hour just visiting every nook and cranny I could find without doing anything just to get my bearings, I love poking around worlds like that

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Is P5 the kind of game with serious time pressure? If it's anything more decisive than harvest moon I might have to skip it 'cause of analysis paralysis

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the days advance but time inside the day doesn't really

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's not pressuring in terms of beating the game, and there's not a running clock, just choosing which activity to spend a time period on. Dungeon dives take up a night, for instance.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Not a Children posted:

Is P5 the kind of game with serious time pressure? If it's anything more decisive than harvest moon I might have to skip it 'cause of analysis paralysis

the only real pressure is completing a dungeon before a set date or else You Lose, but you have ample time to explore at your leisure, first dungeon gives you i wanna say three? weeks of in-game time before game over

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Take this line from the IGN review:

quote:

Balancing Persona 5’s many activities with maintaining these social links (each of which can only be advanced on specific days) is a welcome challenge and will require methodical notetaking for anyone who wants to maximize each day of the calendar.

I play video games to get away from work, not to do more work!

e: and I guess I've been burned from remembering how strictly you had to play P3 and P4 in order to see certain things, I've already seen "If only my STAT were high enough for this dialogue choice" more than once and gently caress thaaaaaaaaat

precision fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 5, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

welcome to New Game, +

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

e: and I guess I've been burned from remembering how strictly you had to play P3 and P4 in order to see certain things, I've already seen "If only my STAT were high enough for this dialogue choice" more than once and gently caress thaaaaaaaaat

Maaaaan, when Barkley 2 finally comes out, your head's gonna explode.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

Hey, that was fun as hell in Majora's Mask.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lurdiak posted:

Maaaaan, when Barkley 2 finally comes out, your head's gonna explode.

It'll probably just crumble, because by the time Barkley 2 comes out we'll all be corpses.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

Many of those stat dialogue choices aren't even possible until New game+. You really shouldn't worry about them or maxing all social links on a normal playthrough.

Just play the game and hang out with the people you like.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i am going to play barkley 2

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PSA

https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/849668247720939520

raditts posted:

It'll probably just crumble, because by the time Barkley 2 comes out we'll all be corpses.

2 mean.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

precision posted:

Maybe just play the game? Novel, in this day and age.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

I've already seen "If only my STAT were high enough for this dialogue choice" more than once and gently caress thaaaaaaaaat

When that happens early on in a Persona game, it's often a New Game+ bonus thing. I'd bet those dialog choices require more of that stat than you could realistically have at that point on a first playthrough. There were a few of those in Persona 4, too.

If the game is anything like Persona 4, you can play pretty casually and still max most of the social links. Maybe not literally all of them, but probably all the ones you actually enjoy and the ones that offer good gameplay bonuses.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wamdoodle posted:

Maybe just play the game? Novel, in this day and age.

I am playing the game, but as I get older my patience for games which gate content behind a second playthrough when a first playthrough takes 90+ hours is to say the least "naff". And having played P3 and P4 I know that the game itself isn't going to tell me what I can miss, or even when there is stuff to miss. So back to my original question "Do I need to comb over all of Tokyo every single day in case there's a Social Link person that only appears in the empty lot behind the movie theater on alternate Tuesdays?"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's not a big deal at all, you played the older games and you know the scoop already

Any minor thing you miss you can always YouTube, nobody expects you to max out all the social links on one play-through (or at all really, I never ever have and still enjoyed the poo poo out of P3 and P4)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

So back to my original question "Do I need to comb over all of Tokyo every single day in case there's a Social Link person that only appears in the empty lot behind the movie theater on alternate Tuesdays?"

No. You will not max your social links in a normal playthrough though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean the quick travel thing tells you when there's a new social link in an area so just keep an eye on that I guess

Plus if you're playing connected to the online thing you can hit the touchpad to see how other people spent the day

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

I am playing the game, but as I get older my patience for games which gate content behind a second playthrough when a first playthrough takes 90+ hours is to say the least "naff". And having played P3 and P4 I know that the game itself isn't going to tell me what I can miss, or even when there is stuff to miss. So back to my original question "Do I need to comb over all of Tokyo every single day in case there's a Social Link person that only appears in the empty lot behind the movie theater on alternate Tuesdays?"

If there's a social link available to do it shows on the area select screen as a speech bubble type thing with a blue door. Whether it'll show up for ones you haven't started yet I don't know, but if it's anything like the other games they're almost impossible to miss anyway.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

tight aspirations posted:

e: And guess who teamed up with G2A?

>TFW your last game bombed so hard you have to strike up a deal with the Russian mob

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

first of all please don't use IGN as a reputable source for literally anything. "use a notebook" uh no you do not need a loving journal to play this game.

as others have said there is really not that much minmaxing of anything. you need to pick the activity you do after school on weekdays and there's a set number of weeks before a "failstate" but it is extremely hard to gently caress yourself over if you do even a day or 2 of dungeon activity.

also yes it is impossible to max out EVERYTHING in one playthrough but imo that's fine and seems insane to replay a 70 hour or more game multiple times in a short timespan. much like Persona 4 there are some extra things you get access to on a new game + but you're not really missing out on anything mindblowing. just pick the links you want to max out and don't focus on the ones you dislike.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

If there's a social link available to do it shows on the area select screen as a speech bubble type thing with a blue door. Whether it'll show up for ones you haven't started yet I don't know, but if it's anything like the other games they're almost impossible to miss anyway.

Thank you, that was my question. I know about the blue door for existing Links, I was only worried about missing new ones, and just in general if I had to do a lap around town every day. I did that in P4 and it wasn't fun.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

precision posted:

I am playing the game, but as I get older my patience for games which gate content behind a second playthrough when a first playthrough takes 90+ hours is to say the least "naff".

Ok, I'm with you there. I had to drop RPG's, Japanese, Western or what have you, because of this. Also, my attention span has seriously waned as I get on in gaming years :/

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I've mostly settled on streaming whatever missing content instead of replaying 80+ hours of a game just to catch a few extra scenes

It's a good middle ground that respects my limited time while letting me not feel like I missed out on content

I am also addicted to the feeling of starting a fresh, new game (the first few hours of a new game basically) so replaying games is a tough sell when I know there is a better high to be chased elsewhere

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Do people seriously feel the need to see absolutely everything in a game? That would drive me crazy in so many games.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Andrast posted:

Do people seriously feel the need to see absolutely everything in a game? That would drive me crazy in so many games.

depends on the game. some games I put in the effort to 100 percent because I really enjoy them, other times the game has a poo poo ton of collectables I ignore because it's not very god.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andrast posted:

"We're adding new content to the game."

Oh great, more poo poo that I have to do. gently caress this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KingSlime posted:

I am also addicted to the feeling of starting a fresh, new game (the first few hours of a new game basically) so replaying games is a tough sell when I know there is a better high to be chased elsewhere

Oh man, this is me for sure. It's like destroying me. I'm at 50 hours in Yakuza 0 and not even halfway through the main plot, 30 hours in ME:A and maybe 1/4 through the main game, I've barely started Nier because of this, and I still have the last ~10 hours of Horizon to go

Andrast posted:

I don't feel the need to see everything, I just hate wondering if I'm missing something really good, and for some reason I hate "just YouTubing it"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

"We're adding new content to the game."

Oh great, more poo poo that I have to do. gently caress this.

I dislike content DLC spread out over time because every time I've already moved on and even the effort required to reinstall the game instead of playing an entirely new one is somewhat onerous.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

gently caress finding 900 Korok seeds but I'll be damned if I stop playing Zelda before I get all the shrines.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

precision posted:

Oh man, this is me for sure. It's like destroying me.

I've kinda embraced the idea that it's okay to not beat games. Sure it makes me a little sad to think about how I still need to wrap up Witcher 3 or DQ8, but at the same time I've played enough of them to have "experienced them" and following my whims is overall a more satisfying way to enjoy my free time. Plus it's not my fault most games are 80+ hour beasts these days

Oh poo poo I do want to go back and beat Hollow Knight though, such a meaty and lovingly-crafted metroidvania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you don't beat a game the bad guy won

geralt is dead

you killed him

• Locked thread