Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Sadly I won't have access to my pc until after the deadline so I guess those are the 2 options we have. I mean just entering the farm should tell me if they are there and I have to get back to the fighting at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Farms provide cover so there's good odds you wouldn't see anyone from the north edge unfortunately.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oh drat I guess I misunderstood that rule. As said I don't really have access to anything to redraw the path, if someone can provide me with a map that has my dudes cross the farm, that'd be great.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Here you go:

This will cover the entire farm.

You should make it clear in your orders that once you've destroyed the enemy, you want to go home, not continue the patrol route.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

*Command Structure* *Roll20 table* *Pre-turn checklist* *Travel times*
*Movement, cover and spotting* *Firing and combat* *Firing demo*
*Billy bonus* *Command and Control* *Night rules*
*Writing orders including standing orders* *Relationship between standing orders and conditionals
*Example orders* *Brigades, Fatigue, New terrain, indirect fire, engineer times, new hill spotting* *Trenches and terrain*
Arrows! Formations! Conditionals! Standing Orders!

Corps orders, 26th division orders

51st (Steinrokkan) - no order change

52nd (Fathis Munk)

53rd (Koolkevz666)

54th Brigade, Engineers (Saros)

4th Division (Aphid_licker)

86th (Added space)

88th (Ikasuhito)

Artillery (Sniper4624)

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 5, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Jaguars! posted:

Here you go:

This will cover the entire farm.

You should make it clear in your orders that once you've destroyed the enemy, you want to go home, not continue the patrol route.

Thanks and yeah good point, will edit that and the pic in.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Then again are we sure there is only a single company hiding there somewhere? Shouldn't I maybe still check the whole route?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

No. Units split off have no ability to move once their orders run out. It's way too improbable, so I'd rather you spend the minimum possible time searching and have you back near the front lines.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Ok, just making sure!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

On an admin note, we have some information about the next division to arrive, sourced off of Roll20. It's called the 1st Guards Reserve division, and it's meant to be pretty good. Rumour has it bicycles will be involved.

Saros will be in command. Oystertoadfish, you can fill in for Saros if needed, as long as you produce human-readable orders.

Brigadier wise, I'm thinking OTF, Cokerpilot if he's got a working computer again, maybe Ikasuhito if his current brigade looks likely to stay on defence for a while. Perhaps LLsix, Aphid_Licker or Added space as well. I aim to firm it up after the next update.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Alright added a conditional that should make my nerds break off patrol and return to the front after destroying an enemy unit.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Did we kill all of the BEF Armoured Cars? We know the Armoured Cars were autonomous as they have no Brigade commander when we sighted them and as long as they have the same wire cutting ability as other units it wouldn't be impossible for one or two single Armoured Car chits to slip through the line and run up and down our rear lines cutting wires. Being autonomous they probably could operate behind our lines though they would have to end near a road to change orders I think?

I could be wrong about this but was just a thought.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

koolkevz666 posted:

Did we kill all of the BEF Armoured Cars? We know the Armoured Cars were autonomous as they have no Brigade commander when we sighted them and as long as they have the same wire cutting ability as other units it wouldn't be impossible for one or two single Armoured Car chits to slip through the line and run up and down our rear lines cutting wires. Being autonomous they probably could operate behind our lines though they would have to end near a road to change orders I think?

I could be wrong about this but was just a thought.

I think we've seen no more than ten ACs, and we have killed ten ACs. So there is a non zero percent chance we got them all. But i'm not sure we know how many a unit of them should consist of.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I'm probably most useful as a brigadier, allowing people with more lp/wargame experience to make the higher level orders, and one lesson I've learned is that my past orders were way way way too wordy. mostly I was trying to cover for contingencies that either were covered by standing orders or were just out of my control by design. I'll slow my roll the next time I get chits to order

edit but yeah if Saros is out and we need division orders I'll be happy to turn the strategic conversation into arrows and brief general directions to brigadiers. if other people with more experience are around they can feel free to take the responsibility

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 5, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

also correct me if I'm wrong but we've never seen an armored car off road, have we? that would eliminate them from contention for our mysterious saboteurs

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm burnt out a little, I'd rather not command a brigade.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

oystertoadfish posted:

also correct me if I'm wrong but we've never seen an armored car off road, have we? that would eliminate them from contention for our mysterious saboteurs

WWI era automobiles were not known for their offroading abilities, so yeah. Considering it moved halfway across the map at night no less. Maybe they got creative, used their Cavalry DivCom chit after their cavalry all wiped themselves out in ill-considered charges (as the WWI gods intended). Speaking of which, we might want to move our DivCom infantry chit over the northern bridge for better Command and Control.

I'll take another command, sure. Internet’s back up.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 5, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I'm still extremely unclear as to how those on map div hq chits work, although I get the impression they're in stethoscope. one important factor would be making sure they don't land indirect arty on the div hq, that would be less than wonderful for cnc

but yeah maybe they're adventuring with an hq. could be bde hq I suppose. and with some major help from indirect arty they completely hosed my brigade and I was unable to countercharge their charge the turn after. glad they pretty much traded an inf and cav bde for our one inf bde and were left with fewer reinforcements then us

i think the southern bridge and assault could end up looking pretty good for us in retrospect, might've kept a lot of high quality infantry chits out of range to contest the fde. what won't look good will also be interesting to find out - maybe they do have a major force behind us. it's possible that they're in the southern CC in force, and that could be awkward but arguably a worthy trade for the fde

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Div HQs aren't usually shown because it's too easy to leave them turned on in the enemy's drawings. They go where you tell them using the same rules as infantry. Mine's right next to ford A at the moment. Aphid's is in Stethoscope.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Yeah, why did you think my original orders were to walk down it single file? :v: We'll certainly find out this turn.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

uggggh every time I sit down to do this, some fucker calls me up and tries to give me money

Er, by which I mean, the reason for this policy is that you may recall Grey Hunter's major SNAFU in his first game, in which he left a BEF chit in a German map by mistake and completely blew what was supposed to be a major surprise.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So that means there IS a major surprise!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Effayders is a port, the HMS Invincible is going to shell everything east of the river.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Added Space posted:

Effayders is a port, the HMS Invincible is going to shell everything east of the river.

I wouldn't even be mad if that happened.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
All our brigades suddenly drown as they realize they are in fact not in a forest, but in water.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Added Space posted:

Worse, they will open the flood gates and sail their ships down the bloated rivers to shell us.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Funny you should mention that...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Wj5iP5rDY

Day 3, Turn 16
British initiative

Guess what? There's a whole lot of orders-failing going on here.

The 86th is the only brigade without a box full of neutrals and gets moving.

Then something else happens.

Indirect fire falls on your howitzers! The 53rd confirms that the guns opposite them did not fire; this must have been someone else's doing.

Day 3, Turn 17
German initiative

Fathis Munk goes off in search of a rear party.

The 86th continues moving cautiously south.

More suppressions and a kill; you're fortunate that some of the enemy's indirect fire is landing the other side of the ford from you.

The 54th is still chugging uselessly away like Basil Fawlty's car. Meanwhile, the spotter plane goes up; and I suspect that at least some of the difficulty I'm having in keeping erections in their proper place is because of the delayed reporting I'm giving to you. So this time I correct everything now for what the plane can see, and you might as well know about it now.

It's had a devil of a time just getting out there, but the observer is pretty sure that there are some guns firing to the southeast somewhere.

Day 3, Turn 18
German initiative

The 54th finally finds a gear and gets moving.

The 52nd continues advancing in the wrong direction.

The 86th is nearly in position.

And a small amount of indirect fire falls into the Foret d'Effyaders, somewhere to the south of the 53rd Brigade, although they can't see exactly where.

Day 3, Turn 19
German initiative

The 54th continues moving south.

The 52nd is just grateful that nobody's shooting at them.

And then, thanks to winning initiative, just before the 86th adopts its defensive formation...

It's only moved 4", and stops dead while simultaneously screaming for help from every possible source.

With two fatigue points, they're going to need it...

Here's the mid-update overview.

Note that I'm now turning the kill dots off on the overview, because some of them might potentially indicate the position of casualties you didn't see being killed, and gently caress trying to sort them by which ones you saw and which ones you didn't.

Day 3, Turn 20
British initiative

The 54th has found a better hole.

The 52nd has no such luck.

And the 86th is getting charged again. Oh, but before that, the 53rd sees something...

And then a large number of shells fall in the forest. Most of the fire falls nowhere near you, but a little of it does...

Those damned 60-pounders again. And right before you could finish a trench, too. Down in the south, the 86th gets some help from your southern gun line.

The guns, and the machine-guns, and the rifles, cut the enemy's numbers in half, but plenty survive to close combat...

They're well and truly in among you, but that could have ended a lot worse without some very timely rolls to resist the charge. Oh yeah, and an aeroplane appears for the briefest of moments out of the clouds over Ferme Inutille.

Day 3, Turn 21
British initiative

It has started raining.

Your northern guns have limbered and are moving.

The magical mystery tour continues.

The 54th adopts its final positions, and spotting happens.

And the 86th stands firm to repel another charge.

Not pictured: another bombardment in the same position in the north kills a second company of the 53rd, despite its shiny new trench.

Your artillery support gives the southern enemy what for.

The 86th's shooting is good.

They force a morale check; the enemy routs before you.

Not pictured: squabbling between the 53rd and a few enemy companies; one pops out of the right-hand trench to the south to fire; you kill the company you spotted yourself.

Day 3, Turn 22
British initiative

Kaboom! A highly unhealthy amount of enemy artillery fire falls all round the 54th, and mostly achieves nothing; that pop-up company sticks its head up again to fire, misses, and after almost all your rifle companies have fired, they suppress it.

There's some of the offending guns; you suspect that there must be more nearby due to the weight of fire.

Day 3, Turn 23
British initiative

The 52nd has gone through Taillis Nord.

The enemy uses a truly ridiculous amount of artillery fire to kill one company.

And then the middle goes quiet again, an uneasy quiet.

End of update!

One more thing; the 53rd is no longer under fire, and instead observed two of the enemy's guns limbering up and disappearing to the rear.

Weather update: it is now raining steadily, and unless this proves to be only a passing shower, the hill spotting rules will soon be suspended. Flying is impossible until further notice.

Your next, and final, arriving division will be the 1st Guards Reserve Division. This consists of 2 normally-constituted brigades, 2 slightly smaller brigades (but larger than last battle's Jagers) in which all companies are equipped with bicycles for faster on-road movement, and a FK/10cm artillery brigade. You may spend a fatigue point to have it arrive beginning Turn 32; otherwise it arrives beginning Turn 40. All brigades are Veteran quality and make only one morale check, at 2/3 casualties.

Soft deadline: 5pm, Friday 8 April. This is 24 hours less than you just had. Don't get caught out.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Why does the enemy keep recklessly charging me to get slaughtered? :psyduck:

That was actually pretty good, considering other things that could have gone wrong.

Hey, Tevery, any chance you could give me, like, a non-spoiler partial crop of the banners of the units I've managed to rout, like I've picked up the shredded remains? I want to paste them onto mine and then taunt the enemy.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 6, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Holy gently caress, I cannot stress how lucky we are to have added space's brigade survive that battle and wipe out another brigade. That literally makes up for every lovely roll we've had in the last day and night of the game.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Bravo, boys, bravo! Not how I expected that to go, but a fine effort.

Spotter plane over my farm, glad I'm getting out of there.

Trin, will the rain affect my artillery at all?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

That was amazing added,my complements to your men!

We lucked out with that fire on our howitzers. The RNG has been on our side for a change.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I guess my men got spotted moving into the trenches in the north of FdE so any plan for me to hold position won't work. Wonder if I could possibly try and pursue the enemy artillery and try and catch it before it can redeploy.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

their HQ survived to rout i think? it would be annoying if that means they get a bunch of replacement chits but yes, it was good to win that little fight.

:siren: y0 trin :siren: how many of the reinforcements can arrive from the northern CC?

at the moment it doesn't look like the brits have enough force to dislodge us from the FdE today... i think we can afford to wait an extra update and get that fresh elite division marched up to the front lines by tomorrow morning. then we'll be good on fatigue points for a while.

i don't quite 'get' replacements. seem to be only cav or inf basic chits, but is there a set time when they show up after the chits are lost in the first place?

also this sloooooowly developing search by the fragment of a brigade is illustrating how nice it would be to have any cavalry... i suppose i bear some of the blame for that

i think we should take the reinforcements at turn 40 (nightfall) - one night march and we'll have an elite division ready to fight for, what, two days?

i think we should spend today (next two updates):
-setting up in the southern CC - maybe finally move ikasuhito to cover more ground south of the TD and put out some pickets, moving closer to the river if we don't see more enemy presence?
-trying to make sure we keep the parts of the FdE we hold - including maybe linking our trenches with the NW brigade, diagonally?

and generally setting up for the reinforcements for a two-day offensive somewhere, keeping in mind that they don't have to win everything all at once, they should have the advantage over a fatigued enemy on the second day

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

koolkevz666 posted:

I guess my men got spotted moving into the trenches in the north of FdE so any plan for me to hold position won't work. Wonder if I could possibly try and pursue the enemy artillery and try and catch it before it can redeploy.

I think both your hits and the howitzer hits were probably ordered fire that they're putting down on suspected positions, Trin mentions that most of it landed to the south of you.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jaguars! posted:

I think both your hits and the howitzer hits were probably ordered fire that they're putting down on suspected positions, Trin mentions that most of it landed to the south of you.

Trin did mention my 53rd firing on a British company though with rifles.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

^ ah, well maybe they've spotted you now and the below just applies to last update. maybe they'll know about you this update, then. i'll have to reread

the guys kev lost were in a line, and if there was firing south of them i bet that means they were the very top of a straight N-S line of bombardment

that sounds to me like a hypothesized line of defense to me, and look where it's hypothesized! if they had spotted that brigade there's no way they would've imagined that we had a line of defense 5 inches inside the forest.

it's always dangerous to try to read the opponent's mind but i'm hopeful that those guys remain unspotted. and now they're entrenched yay

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Hasty intelligence assessment:

I'm at work so I don't have time to double check things, e.g what the fate of BEF 4 (refer to day 2, around 1530), but we've had contact with about 6 infantry brigades . I'm inclined to asess the south attack as a fresh brigade, not BEF 1 because it has exactly the amount of troops you'd expect from a fresh brigade. BEF 2 and BEF 6 aren't exact, but the important thing to take away there is that one britgade was wiped out and one is currently in the center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Me and otf talking in Roll20 -

We can totally counterbattery the guns on the Vallee lip. Double target those for 2-3 rounds and we'll almost certainly wipe them out.

Ika's brigade in Douche could be positioned better. The two remnant brigades can cover Douche while he either covers the south or joins an attack.

They're likely heavily committed north at this point. With that brigade I just wiped out, we can deploy our elite troops south for one big, united push.

• Locked thread