Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

(i haven't really played the witcher 3 maybe he dies anyway idk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Help Im Alive posted:

(i haven't really played the witcher 3 maybe he dies anyway idk)

You're under arrest for spoiler crime

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
"Completing" games is basically a holdover from a time when 4000 games weren't coming out every month and you only got two a year, and they were like 20 hours from start to finish max. If you really like a game/still only play a few for whatever reason it's a cool thing, but otherwise thinking of it as an obligation/point of pride for every game is silly.

Did any game have an in-game meter determining completion percentage before Donkey Kong Country? Pac-Man 2 did but it was hidden and that game used passwords.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Discount Viscount posted:

"Completing" games is basically a holdover from a time when 4000 games weren't coming out every month and you only got two a year, and they were like 20 hours from start to finish max. If you really like a game/still only play a few for whatever reason it's a cool thing, but otherwise thinking of it as an obligation/point of pride for every game is silly.

People who regularly "platinum" their games boggle my mind.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Discount Viscount posted:

Did any game have an in-game meter determining completion percentage before Donkey Kong Country? Pac-Man 2 did but it was hidden and that game used passwords.

I know Kirby did on the NES.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Beating games aren't necessary to enjoy them but it definitely improves my overall impression if I have the motivation and interest to finish.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

precision posted:

I am playing the game, but as I get older my patience for games which gate content behind a second playthrough when a first playthrough takes 90+ hours is to say the least "naff".

same

like i've sunk a million hours into the witcher 3 at this point and i've barely even scratched the surface of the sidequests and not even started the DLC, i can't for the life of me ever imagine starting a ng+, which to their credit thankfully is not a gateway for content

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If I enjoyed a game enough to finish one playthrough of it, it was a good game. I do not finish games I'm not enjoying out of some sense of game duty or something.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The only game I ever wanted to 100% something like map completion was Guild Wars 2, and thats mostly because I hung out with a chill goon guild and it was social and relaxing (for the most part). Otherwise I just leave most games at 80% complete for side quests, unless I know they're unique/interesting.

I find seeing a 100% not really satisfying, or sometimes unsatisfying compared to like a 90% on a stat screen. I'm weird

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

bloodychill posted:

I do not finish games I'm not enjoying out of some sense of game duty or something.

Sunk Cost Fallacy very powerful for some folk

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I 100 percented Dragons Dogma and will very likely do the same for Nier: Automata. That'll make two.

Re: Persona

https://twitter.com/TohnoKazuo/status/849464935830745090

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This year I platinumed Horizon (very straightforward) and The Witness (but gently caress getting all the other collectible/secret stuff), which is 2 more than the past three years combined

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't think I'm platinumed a game since RDR

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

When Jak 1 comes out on PS2 to PS4 I will platinum it, again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only thing that really bothers me is when, for whatever reason, I never get around to "beating" a game I'm really enjoying. Like I've still never finished Tyranny despite having played it for like 70 total hours across two playthroughs.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

precision posted:

The only thing that really bothers me is when, for whatever reason, I never get around to "beating" a game I'm really enjoying. Like I've still never finished Tyranny despite having played it for like 70 total hours across two playthroughs.

I have that same problem with Half-life. I played it almost through but then I stopped at the Xen world. :v:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
My only platinum is Bloodborne which I felt I needed to get because it was the reason I bought ps4. I wish I had not wasted the time

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

a kitten posted:

I 100 percented Dragons Dogma and will very likely do the same for Nier: Automata. That'll make two.

Nier is a weird one for me I bought some of the trophies but ended up getting nigh 100% completion anyway

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rexroom posted:

I have that same problem with Half-life. I played it almost through but then I stopped at the Xen world. :v:

Thinking back, I left Mr Freeman stranded on Xen too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nina posted:

Nier is a weird one for me I bought some of the trophies but ended up getting nigh 100% completion anyway

I doubt I'll bother with finishing Speedstar and maybe maxing out the Pods. thank god I can just spend money to get around having to. :v:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lakbay posted:

My only platinum is Bloodborne which I felt I needed to get because it was the reason I bought ps4. I wish I had not wasted the time

Bloodborne is a fun game at least. The most recent game I platinumed was Horizon because it was fun and there wasn't any part of it that felt chore-like to me except the wooden deer, which I did in all of 5 minutes.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Chalice Dungeons are a chore

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I had to force myself to beat Ryse when going through my backlog..

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My only platinum ever is also Bloodborne but I liked the Chalice Dungeons well enough, so the platinum was basically "just do things you wanted to do anyway" for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Games we didn't finish, huh.

Yes, yes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is the Pokeworld exclusively vegetarian? Even down to the Pokemon themselves? There are some mon like Golbat and Weepingbell (Gen 1 4 lyfe) that seem designed to eat prey (not to mention the larger Pokemon that would presumably have a much larger caloric requirement) but I can't recall any instance of a Pokemon researcher feeding Ratatas or Caterpees to larger captive mons, or other more benign references to meat in the Pokeworld. Is it salads all the way down? Inquiring minds want to know.

People sure as poo poo eat farfetchd

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

My only platinum ever is also Bloodborne but I liked the Chalice Dungeons well enough, so the platinum was basically "just do things you wanted to do anyway" for me.

I didn't touch them until NG+ but had picked up a bunch of materials and stuff so I think I managed to get by with skipping a large set of chalice dungeons while still being able to get the Platinum. Honestly I was just being dumb and not restarting for the DLC and Ludwig is an asskicker so I used them to bridge the gap in levels while seeing new bosses.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's a bunch of pokemon that specifically predate on others and some even gank humans. It's all in the pokedex.

Now I'm pretty sure none of that happens in the anime but that's always been a different bag.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is the Pokeworld exclusively vegetarian? Even down to the Pokemon themselves? There are some mon like Golbat and Weepingbell (Gen 1 4 lyfe) that seem designed to eat prey (not to mention the larger Pokemon that would presumably have a much larger caloric requirement) but I can't recall any instance of a Pokemon researcher feeding Ratatas or Caterpees to larger captive mons, or other more benign references to meat in the Pokeworld. Is it salads all the way down? Inquiring minds want to know.

Pokemon feed on each other but they don't depict it in the cartoons because its awkward and makes you realize the whole thing is pretty brutal and basically dogfighting for children.

So they shy away from all that as much as they can, creating a weird double standard.

Lurdiak posted:

There's a bunch of pokemon that specifically predate on others and some even gank humans. It's all in the pokedex.

Now I'm pretty sure none of that happens in the anime but that's always been a different bag.

Yep

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gently caress, I want to eat that ice cream Pokemon rn

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pokemon just make each other faint, so do they eat each other alive or what

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I laugh every time my trainer passes out from his pokemon being knocked out. Just fainting from losing at the game. That's even worse than throwing the controller.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are a not-insignificant number of Pokemon who are only created by the death of a human being or who regularly eat humans or destroy their souls or whatever.

Humans in the Pokemon world just don't give a shiiiiit.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

haveblue posted:

Pokemon just make each other faint, so do they eat each other alive or what

It firmly pins its prey using its four claws and large body. Then the teeth in the mouth on its stomach chew the prey to bits.

sounds like it op

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The pokedex says a lot of things

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

It's weirdly worded but it just means each arm can punch 125 times per second

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Thats what happens when you recruit teenagers to do your research

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Apparently this dude can level mountains if he takes his power-limiter belt off or something. As I've said many times before, the pokemon world is a terrifying place that I'm thankful I don't live in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Apparently this dude can level mountains if he takes his power-limiter belt off or something. As I've said many times before, the pokemon world is a terrifying place that I'm thankful I don't live in.

But who made the belt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lurdiak posted:

How are there any mountains left if there are countless ferals of this guy running around

• Locked thread