Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PJOmega posted:

So glad I tossed together UR Zombies.

Its rotation, expect nothing to live past rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

am i seeing this right, was Rapid Decay really a rare, what the heck

Urza's Destiny was strange! We had a rare sorcery blinker spell, donate, Yawgmoth's Bargain and carnival of souls! Good times!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sickening posted:

Its rotation, expect nothing to live past rotation.

It isn't rotation tho, simply adding to the pile.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

Urza's Destiny was strange! We had a rare sorcery blinker spell, donate, Yawgmoth's Bargain and carnival of souls! Good times!

To be fair, Flicker was the first, well, flicker effect in the history of Magic: The Gathering!

Also Rapid Decay was sporadically playable in Extended and Legacy for a surprisingly long time as a maindeckable piece of gy hate

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

PJOmega posted:

It isn't rotation tho, simply adding to the pile.

Sorry , meant new set. You can't even expect decks to survive new sets these days.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mardu Vehicles didn't even make it through a set before losing almost all of its vehicles.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Real question is, why is there only one creature with Cycling?

I want to pretend Living End decks are a real thing. :(

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because until now we saw only 27 creatures, and only 8 were black or blue.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggdrasilTM posted:

Because until now we saw only 27 creatures, and only 8 were black or blue.

Then I've gotta hold on to hope...!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Entropic posted:

I don't think Red actually got a 1R 2/2 with no downside until Falkenrath Reaver in Eldritch Moon just last year.

Unless you count Frazzled Editor.

I think this Cat thing is actually technically the first colorless bear with no downside, if you count the symmetric effect on Runed Servitor and Eager Construct as a downside.

Lore Seeker!!!!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Pontius Pilate posted:

Lore Seeker!!!!

And it's also a great upside, too!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Does anyone know why people are talking about banning Street Wraith, of all things?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Does anyone know why people are talking about banning Street Wraith, of all things?

Because its ability doesn't have a mana cost. Just more irrational nonsense.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Then I've gotta hold on to hope...!

Nah man, don't let only seeing like 30 cards in a set stop you from getting all mad about it

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

Because its ability doesn't have a mana cost. Just more irrational nonsense.

I see people talking about Street Wraith and Bauble and not like, the 1 mana 10/10 that they enable or the 1 mana mostly-Demonic Tutor. Or maybe just don't ban anything and give the format some to figure it out. This isn't exactly Eldrazi levels of dominance from what I've seen.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I see people talking about Street Wraith and Bauble and not like, the 1 mana 10/10 that they enable or the 1 mana mostly-Demonic Tutor. Or maybe just don't ban anything and give the format some to figure it out. This isn't exactly Eldrazi levels of dominance from what I've seen.

Its definitely not eldrazi winter all over again. Deck lists are going to need to change and people aren't happy about it. People got too use to jund and grixis being mediocre decks and are unhappy about whatever they are playing getting worse.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's the best deck (or archetype at this point), not the sole deck + handful of decks built to beat it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

It's the best deck (or archetype at this point), not the sole deck + handful of decks built to beat it.

Completely true, and apparently it's unreasonable to expect magic players to understand this. Although I haven't seen too much whining about it compared to something like eldrazi but I also haven't been looking.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

It'll be real funny to me if the set that bring back cycling ends up mostly benefiting Living End through an completely unrelated rules change about split cards.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nah man, don't let only seeing like 30 cards in a set stop you from getting all mad about it

I don't get mad, I get despondent.

:smith:

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
RIP to temples and Mindalaver, hello to Emrakul and fast lands. I like the changes overall, but will miss attrition and Mindslaver. Seems they're taking red aggro down a peg as well, so overall more combo/synergy friendly.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/legacy-uphold-2017-03-30

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Cactrot posted:

I mean, this totally signals a Heroes Downfall reprint, right guys? eh? guys?

This is WOTC we're discussing here. At best we might get an "Exile target emblem" spell to keep things balanced.

Sorcery speed of course, we wouldn't want anyone to "feel bad" about not getting to play with their card.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

This is WOTC we're discussing here. At best we might get an "Exile target emblem" spell to keep things balanced.

Sorcery speed of course, we wouldn't want anyone to "feel bad" about not getting to play with their card.

That's something they specifically don't want. Emblems are game objects because it makes the effect easier to remember, not because they want them to be potentially interactable. It's why Knight-Errant was changed.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

That's something they specifically don't want. Emblems are game objects because it makes the effect easier to remember, not because they want them to be potentially interactable. It's why Knight-Errant was changed.

Also only planeswalkers can give them, to make them more special or whatever.

Poor Stigma Lasher.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

Poor Stigma Lasher.

There's a card that I wish was playable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The new Gideon doesn't seem great. Its first two abilities make it like a creature that can block and attack mostly, albeit efficiently. But there's the tradeoff that he dies for no value to your opponent's board if you don't leave enough blockers back, or if they get ahead on-board. That's awkward for a card purely dedicated to damage racing.

The third ability is pretty marginal. In a lot of cases your opponent will kill your planeswalkers before going for you anyway. Even if it's a situation where they'd want to go after you you're basically just gaining 3 life +1 for each time you use his first ability. It's nothing like plat angel because plat angel will stall forever against a dominant board if your opponent can't kill it. Gideon will just die to their board along with you.

He's weird because you can leave him on the board forever with no real consequence, unlike almost all other planeswalkers that give your opponent value over time and/or build up to a game winning ult. He's basically just gaining your opponent 1 life per turn on a stalled board, assuming you don't have a way to kill him outright.

Maybe it's good just as a general beater in some decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

Because it's terrible design and is basically the same thing as Probe which was banned. I think it's definitely getting banned.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

An indestructible 4/4 for 3 doesn't seem too bad.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Because it's terrible design and is basically the same thing as Probe which was banned. I think it's definitely getting banned.

Basically the same thing as probe? You are on a roll today.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Probe gave the option of not paying life to cycle while also getting complete information. That's a huge leap over street wraith.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Basically the same thing as probe? You are on a roll today.

It's playing the same roll in modern right now. A free way to deal yourself damage and get cards in the yard and get delirium. It's definitely getting banned.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Probe gave the option of not paying life to cycle while also getting complete information. That's a huge leap over street wraith.

True but that wasn't the way Probe was being used before it was banned.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Siivola posted:

An indestructible 4/4 for 3 doesn't seem too bad.
Sure. But an 'indestructible' 4/4 that's going to die for no value to some flyer a lot of the time seems more questionable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sure. But an 'indestructible' 4/4 that's going to die for no value to a HoK a reasonable amount of the time seems less good.

It blanks their HoK while also crewing your HoK.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's playing the same roll in modern right now. A free way to deal yourself damage and get cards in the yard and get delirium. It's definitely getting banned.

Its not getting banned. Probe did not get banned because of the suicide deck. It got banned because of infect. There are so many other cards that are going to get banned before street wraith.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I changed my post since I realized its a bit better at stopping vehicles than I thought. But it can't do both of those things at the same time.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Uh, it can only do one of those things at a time. Also, nothing is stopping them from killing Gideon with their other creatures.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

That's exactly how it was used because that's what it does? Granted DS decks were paying blue and it was enabling consistent turn 3 kills but that only worked because both it and wraith existed together. Seeing an opponent's hand was immensely useful in both infect and shadow and infect could actually pay U for it.

Sickening posted:

Its not getting banned. Probe did not get banned because of the suicide deck. It got banned because of infect. There are so many other cards that are going to get banned before street wraith.

I'd argue it got banned because of shadow but only because infect was simultaneously so good. One deck abusing probe was borderline ok, 2 was definitely not. But yeah, basically agree with you.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 5, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Complete information was a big deal in the decks probe was best in. Knowing you could do your Become Immense and/or TBR in your Suicide Zoo/Infect/Kiln Fiend deck safely was a big deal.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

so infect not being a tier-one deck anymore is simply because they have to pay 1 extra mana for become immense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I changed my post since I realized its a bit better at stopping vehicles than I thought. But it can't do both of those things at the same time.

Yes it can....It can go +1 to control the opponents heart of Kiran and then you can remove the counter to pilot your own.

• Locked thread