Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

uhhh a majority of AAs are centrist democrat. I know all you burnouts want to ignore the southern states but you can't, they are your base as much as the mid west or coasts. I don't know why you think it's continually OK to ignore them.

And what have democrats done to actually help them? What are they going to start voting for Republicans if we do things like raise taxes on the wealthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I know all you burnouts want to ignore the southern states but you can't, they are your base as much as the mid west or coasts. I don't know why you think it's continually OK to ignore them.

I'm a southern state dem. i voted bernie

my state went for bernie

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 5, 2017

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Wow, Hillary Clinton fans are very bad and dumb

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

I'm a southern state dem. i voted bernie

Same

Also, Bernie directly addressed this in a debate so it's complete bullshit to say that Bernie/progressives/leftists don't care about the South

Bernie posted:

"To those of you in South Carolina, you know what, in Mississippi — we need a 50-state strategy so that people in South Carolina and Mississippi can get the resources they need."

Gesturing at his main rival, front-runner Hillary Clinton, Sanders continued: "Instead of being dependent on super-PACs, what we need is to be dependent on small, individual campaign contributors."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Not a Step posted:

Which is why its extremely weird and privileged when wokes say they are fine with people continuing to suffer until perfect solutions are found. Being poor loving sucks. Its real bad and fucks a person up for life via brain chemistry and trauma responses, even if they later have more economic security. Alleviating poverty in any measure is a good thing that leaves people more resilient throughout their lives. Helping real humans should *always* be the primary concern.

In general, people tend to have more empathy for groups they directly interact with. There's a pretty significant number of young Democrats (who are disproportionately represented in young person social media relative to their older counterparts) who have very racially diverse social groups, but not very economically diverse ones (for example having a racially diverse group of friends at an expensive private college). This shapes their views, as they develop empathy for the groups they interact with (good!) but end up lacking empathy for the poor because they don't really understand what poverty is like. The fact that most residential areas in the US tend to be both racially and economically segregated also contributes to this, as it's entirely possible for a person to go through most of their lives without ever interacting with a black person or a poor person.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Frijolero posted:

Same

Also, Bernie directly addressed this in a debate so it's complete bullshit to say that Bernie/progressives/leftists don't care about the South

Remember when Hillarites called Bernie racist / classist for accepting small contributions (which is apparently a scam / theft from the most vulnerable). They are so utterly terrified of their one safe voting block making a single step out of sync with their centrist candidates that they would not only deny them agency in general, they would also deny them the right to use their political rights to sponsor the wrong politician.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

Bernie was campaigning in Atlanta a year ago and just this January he was back in Atlanta participating in several events talking about MLK and progressive policies. And that's just one example.

the primary had been already going on for like a year a year ago

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

Remember when Hillarites called Bernie racist / classist for accepting small contributions (which is apparently a scam / theft from the most vulnerable). They are so utterly terrified of their one safe voting block making a single step out of sync with their centrist candidates that they would not only deny them agency in general, they would also deny them the right to use their political rights to sponsor the wrong politician.

the scam was "here's how Bernie can still win donate now!" after we'd past the point where he'd need to win like California 80-20

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Remember when you wrote that you wanted poor rural people of color to die because they weren't city dwellers

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

the scam was "here's how Bernie can still win donate now!" after we'd past the point where he'd need to win like California 80-20

and hillary's campaign wasn't a scam? i mean it seems your definition of scam is a little loose if you think appealing for donations in a losing campaign is a scam

or are you saying that bernie's fundraising emails shoulda read "i defintely cannot win! please give me some money..."

Condiv fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 5, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

What is your point?

Specifically, but also generally. Like why have the majority of your posts have been milquetoast passive aggressive anti-bernie posts?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

and hillary's campaign wasn't a scam? i mean it seems your definition of scam is a little loose if you think appealing for donations in a losing campaign is a scam

Was Hillary still asking for donations November 9th?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Remember when you wrote that you wanted poor rural people of color to die because they weren't city dwellers

remember when you kept loving a dead horse?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Was Hillary still asking for donations November 9th?

almost certainly

from goldman sachs

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Eh, continuing to put effort into running even after you're pretty sure you'll lose isn't completely pointless. It helps to keep Sanders and the political issues he focuses on in the public/media spotlight for longer, which isn't pointless.

You could say the same thing about running for office in states where Republicans are virtually guaranteed to win. Even if victory is pretty much impossible, it helps keep the issues you care about in the public eye.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, continuing to put effort into running even after you're pretty sure you'll lose isn't completely pointless. It helps to keep Sanders and the political issues he focuses on in the public/media spotlight for longer, which isn't pointless.

You could say the same thing about running for office in states where Republicans are virtually guaranteed to win. Even if victory is pretty much impossible, it helps keep the issues you care about in the public eye.
It was very good for Trump with the rigged discourse.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

What is your point?

Specifically, but also generally. Like why have the majority of your posts have been milquetoast passive aggressive anti-bernie posts?

because I want a better candidate?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

you mean when it was revealed that the DNC had acted in violation of its charter and was acting as a wing of the clinton campaign? how about, instead of demanding people end their campaigns early, the DNC obeys its charter and remain neutral?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bernie continued the momentum after his loss with a bunch of campaigning for Hillary, DAPL protests, Our Revolution, making GBS threads on Trump, and countless demonstrations with laborers across the states.

The only scam related to Bernie was the one directed at him by the DNC.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

almost certainly

from goldman sachs

like i keep saying: only one candidate had a proven track record of getting rid of exorbitant wall street profits

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bernie didn't lose Yass Kweens election, please get another opinion you toxic idiot.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

Bernie continued the momentum after his loss with a bunch of campaigning for Hillary, DAPL protests, Our Revolution, making GBS threads on Trump, and countless demonstrations with laborers across the states.

and he didn't need to get money saying "here's how I can still win" in order to do so

if anything, Bernie's effectiveness in broadening his message came after Clinton's loss

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Unlike Clinton, Sanders has actually been out there trying to make a difference since the primaries ended thanks to the money he was able to get, so overall a dollar spent on his campaign was a far better investment than a dollar for Clinton. Fortunately Clinton's donors mostly didn't even notice the meager couple grand a pop they gave directly to her.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Let's give Clinton some credit, she her social media person tweets "This is bad" or "This is good" or "I stand with the ______" sometimes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

and he didn't need to get money saying "here's how I can still win" in order to do so

if anything, Bernie's effectiveness in broadening his message came after Clinton's loss

Sure, political campaigning is basically free.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

he was literally doing his best to get votes so he had as much leverage as possible after the elections. why should he quit early or stop taking donations early?

edit: do you think we would've got the meagre concessions we got from the clinton campaign if bernie had dropped out earlier?

Condiv fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 5, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Travel costs money pops.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

Travel costs money pops.

yeah, Clinton's money: if he's campaigning for Hillary while paying for it himself, it's an in-kind donation

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

yeah, Clinton's money: if he's campaigning for Hillary while paying for it himself, it's an in-kind donation

Sure ignore the rest of my post about his activities.

Actually, just stop responding to me.

You have the most mediocre, cardboard, Kelly comics opinions and I want nothing to do with them.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

Any time you throw your weight behind a political party that controls two-thirds of the government, and that party can't keep the promise that it made to you during election-time, and you're dumb enough to walk around continuing to identify yourself with that party, you're not only a chump but you're a traitor to your class.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also politicians can't take money donated for a political campaign and just keep it after the campaign is over you dolts. Who cares if Bernie was still asking for donations when it seemed like it was a foregone conclusion? It seemed like a foregone conclusion from day 1.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean I don't like people making GBS threads on "the Democrats "; there's plenty of Democrats in Congress with identical positions to Bernie but people do poo poo like "Bernie is introducing a single payer bill in March" makes it about him and not the what, 80-odd Democrats behind HR 676?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

COMRADES posted:

Also politicians can't take money donated for a political campaign and just keep it after the campaign is over you dolts.

Yes they can

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
But here's some "represent their voters by actually running candidates" poo poo they're still failing at:

https://twitter.com/seanmcelwee/status/849721470561288193

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Fantastic to see that the dems are really learning their lesson from November.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I mean I don't like people making GBS threads on "the Democrats "; there's plenty of Democrats in Congress with identical positions to Bernie but people do poo poo like "Bernie is introducing a single payer bill in March" makes it about him and not the what, 80-odd Democrats behind HR 676?

*thinking harder than he's ever thought in his entire life*
"Democrats...are just like Bernie Sanders"

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Democrats have sucked before Bernie and they're going to suck after Bernie.

A lot of moderates associate Bernie with increasing critiques of the party, but Nader, Kucinich, Dodd, Biden, Warren and others have been doing it for a long time.

New Democrats ruined the party and ruined the future of millions of working class people. That's a legacy that's going to stick around for a while. Progressives are trying to change that, but they can't do it if they keep getting shat on by moderate pansies.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

Democrats have sucked before Bernie and they're going to suck after Bernie.

A lot of moderates associate Bernie with increasing critiques of the party, but Nader, Kucinich, Dodd, Biden, Warren and others have been doing it for a long time.

New Democrats ruined the party and ruined the future of millions of working class people. That's a legacy that's going to stick around for a while. Progressives are trying to change that, but they can't do it if they keep getting shat on by moderate pansies.

sure, and notice a difference between the reputation among Democrats of Nader on the one hand, and Kucinich, Dodd, Biden and Warren on the other?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Clearly we must come together and show party unity in the face of Trump.

The party unity, by the way, is falling in line behind centrist shitheels.

We can both oppose Trump and call the Clinton wing a bunch of fuckheads at the same time. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sorry that Al Gore was garbage, and I'm sorry that Hillary Clinton was garbage.

Alas, neither are Nader or Sander's faults.

• Locked thread