Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ha. I briefly had the Bastard Executioner on my radar before I realized it was Sutter. I had no idea it was cancelled after three episodes. I have no doubt Sutter had an amazing breakdown over that. For a long time after I quit watching SOA I kept reading the thread just to follow his routine public insanity.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:stonklol:

I'm glad I stopped at the end of season 2 with the hilarious baby kidnapping also the perpetrator of said hilarity goes to Ireland by speedboat from California :psyduck:

If I remember right they actually spend way too much time tracking how he gets from California to Ireland in S3. So really he just knew that you could completely befuddle a biker gang by going to water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm glad I stopped at the end of season 2 with the hilarious baby kidnapping also the perpetrator of said hilarity goes to Ireland by speedboat from California :psyduck:

Hahaha what?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You're making GBS threads me, I knew about Ireland but not the mode of transport. How could anything be that dumb?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd love to say it was genuinely that dumb but it really wasn't. Like literally they spend episodes in S3 tracking him in airports and poo poo. He just took the speedboat to like the next port to get away from the dumbass bikers. Which is silly in the name of Sutter feeling the need to end everything in a car/bike chase but not quite as silly as it sounds.

But there's plenty of stupider stuff actually in SOA.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Watching Bad Blood, it's a strong contender for best X-files episode, which is a surprise to no one, but what is surprising is that the coroner is played by the Corner Gas guy.

Bad Blood and X-COPS are canonically the two best episodes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Isn't SOA the most-watched FX programme ever

people are idiots

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

I'd love to say it was genuinely that dumb but it really wasn't. Like literally they spend episodes in S3 tracking him in airports and poo poo. He just took the speedboat to like the next port to get away from the dumbass bikers. Which is silly in the name of Sutter feeling the need to end everything in a car/bike chase but not quite as silly as it sounds.

Aw :(

STAC Goat posted:

Ha. I briefly had the Bastard Executioner on my radar before I realized it was Sutter. I had no idea it was cancelled after three episodes. I have no doubt Sutter had an amazing breakdown over that. For a long time after I quit watching SOA I kept reading the thread just to follow his routine public insanity.

Yea. I knew it was cancelled and his little twitter meltdown about how THE WORLD WASN'T READY FOR MY VISION but I figured they would at least air the full season. Getting pulled after 3 episodes is loving amazing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Escobarbarian posted:

Isn't SOA the most-watched FX programme ever

people are idiots

I feel like SOA just benefited from timing. Like, The Shield happened before FX had any reputation for original programming or the era of quality basic cable tv was really in full swing. Then Sons of Anarchy really propelled itself off that era starting and the hype around the Shield. I guess The Americans would be the counter to a show that should get more attention but I'd theorize that a lot of people like me were just turned off to FX by the trash they put out between Shield and Americans.

If it makes you feel better I'm pretty sure they made a really dramatic show of the revelation that the Irish guy in the IRA was going back to Ireland.

Then they spent the rest of season trying to figure out how to get to Ireland and spent like 3 episodes actually there.

And there was all this teased history between the Original Club and Jax's daddy and Ireland that viewers were excited to explore but they just ended up ignoring most of it on the show and posting it in a text phone app you had to pay for.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 5, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

It was way better when I pictured just a hard cut from motoring off the coast of CA in a speed boat to beaching it on a misty Irish coastline.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No, I assure you multiple episodes of bikers looking at black and white security photos from airports is more entertaining.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I got through every SOA season but the last and in how ever many years it's been since that aired I just cannot bring myself to finish it out, but definitely NOT because I didn't want it to end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have never gone back and watched the last season of Dexter and I have no intention to. I learned my lesson from Weeds.

I'm not sure how much of SOA I watched or when I quit. It wasn't some clear season ending thing. One day I just turned on an episode of SOA and midway through said "ok, that's enough" and turned it off. Then if I ever thought of picking it back up I scolded myself for watching it past Ireland and prison and torturing a nurse and bad photoshops and terrible House of the Rising Sun covers and death funerals and race non-issues and whatever Jimmy Smits was doing there.

Then the SOA thread showed me the gif of the final scene and I laughed.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
My sister recommended Bastard Executioner to me, it was absolutely terrible. But she stopped watching it too not long after recommending it. I think she was just going through Game of Thrones withdrawal and made a mistake.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Like someone else said The Shield is The Wire-level good. Vic Mackey is a loving supernatural creature. Michael Chiklis' performance is easily up there with James Gandolfini and Bryan Cranston. I still think about the pathos in this show. it's just incredible.

Anyone not giving it a serious shot is doing themselves a huge disservice.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

-Blackadder- posted:

Like someone else said The Shield is The Wire-level good. Vic Mackey is a loving supernatural creature. Michael Chiklis' performance is easily up there with James Gandolfini and Bryan Cranston. I still think about the pathos in this show. it's just incredible.

Anyone not giving it a serious shot is doing themselves a huge disservice.

I genuinely cant watch past mid 3rd or early 4th season. Basically as soon as the grenade goes missing I have to peace out. I just can't deal with the anxiety of it all crashing down, it hits me soooooo perfectly. I actually love that a stupid tv show can put me in that state it just makes my palms start sweating since I know the major plot beats but I forget all the extra little details and oh god it's happening its all happening

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I don't think I could watch The Shield again. It takes such dark and tragic turns that I really don't want to put myself through that again.

I mean, I watched it twice so maybe with some time I'll watch it a third time. But right now I'm definitely not ready and its been probably 4 or 5 years since I last watched it.

On a similar topic, I was binging Shameless recently which was a really dumb idea. I hit some wall in Season 6 where I had to just stop because it was too much. I've spent a couple of weeks now looking at it on my Netflix "Continue Watching" and passing it over for something else lighter. Some shows just aren't meant for binging or multiple re-watches.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I have never gone back and watched the last season of Dexter and I have no intention to. I learned my lesson from Weeds.

I'm not sure how much of SOA I watched or when I quit. It wasn't some clear season ending thing. One day I just turned on an episode of SOA and midway through said "ok, that's enough" and turned it off. Then if I ever thought of picking it back up I scolded myself for watching it past Ireland and prison and torturing a nurse and bad photoshops and terrible House of the Rising Sun covers and death funerals and race non-issues and whatever Jimmy Smits was doing there.

Then the SOA thread showed me the gif of the final scene and I laughed.

What had the worst final season? Including SoA, Weeds (what even happened there?), and Dexter. I just know what happened in all of them after quitting during their run mainly by how much spleen is thrown out online for them.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
The Shield is also the show that gave us Walton Goggins, and he was great in it. Especially near the end...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress, also Nip/Tick. That was legendarily bad.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Longbaugh01 posted:

The Shield is also the show that gave us Walton Goggins, and he was great in it. Especially near the end...

Shane to Mackey, in hospital bed

"We dug holes together..."

ok wrong finale

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shageletic posted:

What had the worst final season? Including SoA, Weeds (what even happened there?), and Dexter. I just know what happened in all of them after quitting during their run mainly by how much spleen is thrown out online for them.

I can't speak for Dexter or SOA but in Weeds she marries a Mexican cartel leader/presidential candidate, leaves him when her serial killing son kills his campaign manager, goes to jail, starts running weapons with some Russian brother-sister she's loving, goes to jail again (I think), then somehow makes a fortune on legal weed, manages to settle down her family, and then just blows it all up and ruins their lives one more time because she's a really terrible person.

Or something like that. Weeds was a loving ordeal and I'll never make that mistake again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else seen Nirvanna the Band the Show yet?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Mu Zeta posted:

It's really good. It had one blah episode about the twitter troll Milo guy but the rest is pretty much more Good Wife but now with swearing. Eli Gold's daughter is their investigator and they replaced Alicia with someone half her age. Elsbeth Tascioni is also in it.

Just watched the first 4 episodes and you were right. The only thing I didn't like was that weird Twitter not storyline. Thank god that they still have the best judges.
It's baffling that they would put it on their streaming service instead of their main channel though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Universal is making The Purge into a TV show that will air on both Syfy and USA. I've never heard of any show doing that before.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/04/purge-tv-show/

Like, simultaneously at the same time?

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
So I just binged through all of shut eye over the last day or so. It was alot better than I expected it to be. It didn't really scratch the burn notice itch I thought it would, it was still a pretty fun show. The whole Eduardo being in bed with the gypsies thing kinda came outta left field though. Not really sure how this is going to progress in a theoretical season 2

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shageletic posted:

gently caress, also Nip/Tick. That was legendarily bad.

What ever happened to that show? The last thing I remember was them in LA and a guy who was killing or scarring up women and the 2 main guys were the main suspects but it was really the other assistant who didn't have a penis because his parents were brother and sister and the investigating cop was also his sister was in love with him and then they got away scot free.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The dumbest thing about the Bastard Excutionaer is a tiny village in Wales had a black family in it and no one in the castle knew about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Quincytbb posted:

So I just binged through all of shut eye over the last day or so. It was alot better than I expected it to be. It didn't really scratch the burn notice itch I thought it would, it was still a pretty fun show. The whole Eduardo being in bed with the gypsies thing kinda came outta left field though. Not really sure how this is going to progress in a theoretical season 2

Glad you liked it. I was surprised too.

I don't think that Eduardo was i bed with Fonso prior to the events of the last episode or two. It seems like the natural progression is that Charlie is going to be on both Eduardo and Fonso's collective poo poo list. Fonso's becayse he pulled the stunt with White Tony's cousin's corpse and Eduardo's because seeing behind the scenes of Fonso's operation will make him lose faith in Charlie's gift and think he was getting played the whole time. So Charlie's gonna have to find some new allies fast. Maybe with the help of his gift. My favorite thing about the show is how they handled Charlie's gift. The premise made it seem like it was gonna be some hokey gimmick, but it ended up being a really vague stylized thing like something out of Hannibal. I dug it.

I really like Angus Sampson and David Zayas, so they helped pull me into the show.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is anyone else watching Brockmire? First 15 minutes have been mediocre, but I'll give the rest of it a shot.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

pentyne posted:

What ever happened to that show? The last thing I remember was them in LA and a guy who was killing or scarring up women and the 2 main guys were the main suspects but it was really the other assistant who didn't have a penis because his parents were brother and sister and the investigating cop was also his sister was in love with him and then they got away scot free.

I always forget just how hosed up N/T was, like from a purposeful mental block, until someone brings it up again.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Update: Brockmire is Bad News Bears only with a caricature of a stereotypical, washed up baseball announcer and Amanda Peet who is still cute as a button.

e- Oh, each episode is only 30 minutes and it's a double premiere like Atlanta! Thank gently caress, I was really not looking forward to sitting through another hour of that poo poo.

STAC Goat posted:

I guess The Americans would be the counter to a show that should get more attention but I'd theorize that a lot of people like me were just turned off to FX by the trash they put out between Shield and Americans.

Justified (except Season 5)?

STAC Goat posted:

Oh, I don't think I could watch The Shield again. It takes such dark and tragic turns that I really don't want to put myself through that again.

I mean, I watched it twice so maybe with some time I'll watch it a third time. But right now I'm definitely not ready and its been probably 4 or 5 years since I last watched it.

Shane poisoning Mara and Jackson is the first time I can ever remember going :stonk: to a TV show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is season 5 of justified the one where Ava goes to prison? Because yeah, that was a low point, but it was still better than like, every single season of SAMCRO.

FX has some dope shows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is anyone else watching Brockmire? First 15 minutes have been mediocre, but I'll give the rest of it a shot.

Brockmire sounds like the name of a fake detective spoof show.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Snak posted:

Is season 5 of justified the one where Ava goes to prison? Because yeah, that was a low point, but it was still better than like, every single season of SAMCRO.

FX has some dope shows.

Yeah, they took an entire season to set up S6 which was better, but still not great.

I think the only less-than-awesome FX shows I've watched are The Riches, The Bridge, and Archer after they got too full of themselves with the writing.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 6, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Justified season 5 wasn't great but still had one of my favorite scenes in the series "You ever hear about the 21 foot rule?"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Justified season 5 wasn't great but still had one of my favorite scenes in the series "You ever hear about the 21 foot rule?"

That was so worth it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

precision posted:

Bad Blood and X-COPS are canonically the two best episodes.

Bad Blood didn't win the top spot in the FX Thanksgiving Day Viewer's Choice Marathon every single year for nothing. Gold standard right there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Justified (except Season 5)?

For sure. I'm a fool for forgetting that.

Never caught the final season so been meaning to do a rewatch/finish. Even if the final season is bad its worth it to rewatch the first 2 seasons.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 6, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

For sure. I'm a fool.

Never caught the final season so been meaning to do a rewatch/finish. Even if the final season is bad its worth it to rewatch the first 2 seasons.

The final season is actually really great. I love all of Justified. The weakest point is in season 5 just when they aren't sure what to do with Ava, and it kind of stalls out for a bit. But they recover and there's a real strong finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They stumbled a bit when Natalie Zea left to do other shows (that all flopped) but they always recovered. Justified stands out for having 5 incredible season finales and one of the best series finales in modern television.

"We dug coal together"

Edit: I found Into the Badlands season 1 to be a very pretty but overall unenjoyable show and I was honestly shocked it got a second season. I'm watchin the S2 premiere and it's amazing what a little Nick Frost can do to brighten things up.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 6, 2017

• Locked thread